World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 17-03-2010, 19:13
Crossed the Bar

Question Re: Is there a place for Naval fiction here?

I Have just been recommended a book to read.It's title is "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris.Before I go ahead and by what seems to be a fairly old book,has anyone out there read it? It is purported to be about the USMC. Regards Steve.
Old 17-03-2010, 19:22
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Is there a place for Naval fiction here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roberts View Post
I Have just been recommended a book to read.It's title is "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris.Before I go ahead and by what seems to be a fairly old book,has anyone out there read it? It is purported to be about the USMC. Regards Steve.
Steve,

I think Leon Uris wrote "Exodus" about the return of the Jews to their homeland. It was made into a very long film in the fifties, which we saw in the cinema. I had a copy of the book but it was very long and not an easy read so I did not get to the end but do not let me put you off the book. He served in the USMC during the war in the Pacific and with the up coming great HBOS TV series "The Pacific" it could well be topical.
Old 18-03-2010, 01:34
Forum Moderator

Funnily enough I watched Exodus the 1960 classic film set around the creation of Israel, only the day before yesterday. Starring Paul Newman and directed by Otto Preminger.

I had forgotten what a really good film it was. It even showed a few scenes with British destroyers in them!

Steve - Battle Cry by Leon Uris is a really fine WW2 novel featuring a really tough USMC top Sergeant and a fighting unit of the 6th Marine Regiment in their battles across the Pacific in Guadalcanal, Tarawa and Saipan. It might be an old book [1953] but it is a classic war novel.

It cant be regarded as naval fiction however.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 18-03-2010, 10:21
Crossed the Bar

Hi Gang.Thanks for your replies.I think I will give it ago and see what it's like.It seems to a bit pricey for a really old book..Regards Steve.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:35
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have considered if I should put this in and decided that if you all did not like it you could remove it and hopefully I will repent and be forgiven.
There is a series of books starting with "1632" by Eric Flint. These are about a town in the West Virgina coal mining area that gets transported from the 20th century to the year 1632 in Germany. That is the only thing I would call science fiction in the whole series. It should be historical fiction.
Anyway, eventially they join with King Gustav of Sweden in the 30 years war and have to adapt the modern knowledge to the existing envernment including building a navy. ( there is a retired USN officer caught in the town for his sons wedding). It is interesting how they come up with ideas to build ironclads and steam power with the local resources. I think if you give it a try you will find it very interesting.
Jim
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long but it has now given me enough reading Ideas for the rest of my life.
As for the Eric flint 1632 theme, it sounds a great idea for a bit of day dreaming, I will have to find it.
Paddy.
Old 18-03-2010, 11:54
Lieutenant-Commander

I have read hundreds of books with a nautical theme over the past 50 + years and one of the early ones is still on my bookshelf from the day the film came out in the Bayswater road London.
I was a sea cadet with the job of standing guard in boots and gaiters outside the cinema ( picture house) on the opening day.
The film, the first screening of THE CRUEL SEA.
My mother worked for an (not prolific) author who gave her the book for me.
It was the start of my love affair with naval books.
Problem is,,, most of my books came from jumble sales, car boot sales etc at 10d to about 50 pence each, I would come home with a great stack of books which I would devour but they were never in order.
In later years I went back over some authers and read their work in order and still doing it.
As an after thought,,, why was 10d, 10d.
Paddy
Old 18-03-2010, 12:42
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Hi Gang.Thanks for your replies.I think I will give it ago and see what it's like.It seems to a bit pricey for a really old book..Regards Steve.
Steve,

Well done - will look forward to your recommendation idc.
Old 18-03-2010, 18:27
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Steve it is readily available in paperback as well.

Old 26-03-2010, 11:18
Crossed the Bar

Thumbs up Re: Is there a place for Naval fiction here?

Hi All. I have now read "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris. As Terry said it is not primarily a Naval Book,but to those who have not read it,I can certainly recommend it.It is what is called a "Page Turner" Regards Steve.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:29
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Hi All. I have now read "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris. As Terry said it is not primarily a Naval Book,but to those who have not read it,I can certainly recommend it.It is what is called a "Page Turner" Regards Steve.
Steve,

Well done and thank you very much for your recommendation. You must be a speed reader or it is a short book, much much shorter than his "Exodus" book.
Old 26-03-2010, 15:51
Forum Moderator

As I said it is a great read - especially the portrayal of the archetypal tough top sergeant!!

Old 26-03-2010, 17:21
Crossed the Bar

Hi Invincible/Terry. Yes the Gunnery Sergeant is right out of the top drawer,but still with a soft spot for the men under him.Invincible.It's not so much that I'm a speed reader,I just could not put it down.Many Regards Steve.
Old 26-03-2010, 20:28
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Hi Invincible/Terry. Yes the Gunnery Sergeant is right out of the top drawer,but still with a soft spot for the men under him.Invincible.It's not so much that I'm a speed reader,I just could not put it down.Many Regards Steve.
Steve,

Thanks - must get hold of a copy. Will try my local library though it seems to stock less and less books on naval subjects and indeed just recently the section on naval history has been removed from the shelves of the general library and banished to the reference section ("Don't take out") upstairs. I wonder if this is a sign of the times or just a reduced interest in naval matters around here.
Old 26-03-2010, 23:09
Crossed the Bar

Hi Invincible. "Battle Cry" is available on Amazon books in paper back for a very reasonable price.I ordered it at 6pm one night and it arrived a day later by first class mail.Thats what I call good service.It's almost as thick as "Exodus" but dont be tempted to by a copy of that.The cheapest I could find was £16 for a used paper back edition.Luckly I have a First edition,latest quoted price was £700 pounds.Might hang on to it,could be a tidy nest egg in a few years.Signed copies go for in excess of £4000!! Regards Steve. PS If ou can make it to Gosport library they have a wonderful selection of Naval history books both Reference and lending.
Old 27-03-2010, 11:39
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Hi Invincible. "Battle Cry" is available on Amazon books in paper back for a very reasonable price.I ordered it at 6pm one night and it arrived a day later by first class mail.Thats what I call good service.It's almost as thick as "Exodus" but dont be tempted to by a copy of that.The cheapest I could find was £16 for a used paper back edition.Luckly I have a First edition,latest quoted price was £700 pounds.Might hang on to it,could be a tidy nest egg in a few years.Signed copies go for in excess of £4000!! Regards Steve. PS If ou can make it to Gosport library they have a wonderful selection of Naval history books both Reference and lending.
Steve,

Very many thanks for your most helpful advice about the naval books section of the Gosport library. I do remember it being launched a number of years ago when several collections were brought together and transferred to Gosport. I was invited to the launch but unfortunately working in London I was not able to attend. Pse see my PM.
Cheers
Old 27-03-2010, 21:42
Crossed the Bar

Thumbs up Re: Is there a place for Naval fiction here?

Hi Invincible.Got your PM and have replied.Another Author that could be included in our list,is the now sadly departed Alister McLean.His HMS UYLYSESS was classic when I was younger.He also wrote SOUTH BY JAVA HEAD,though that was more Merchant Marine than Naval.Does anyone know of any others that I may have forgotten of his that were Naval? Going back to the original Post of this thread.In Douglas reemans book The Deep Silence,RFA Stromness is depicted on the cover as a Submarine Depot Ship!.Many regards Steve.
Old 27-03-2010, 21:59
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Hi Invincible.Got your PM and have replied.Another Author that could be included in our list,is the now sadly departed Alister McLean.His HMS UYLYSESS was classic when I was younger.He also wrote SOUTH BY JAVA HEAD,though that was more Merchant Marine than Naval.Does anyone know of any others that I may have forgotten of his that were Naval? Going back to the original Post of this thread.In Douglas reemans book The Deep Silence,RFA Stromness is depicted on the cover as a Submarine Depot Ship!.Many regards Steve.
Steve,

Didn't Alistair Maclean write the Guns of Navarone (film of same name with warship shots at the end) and Ice Station Zebra (submarines) and I think some others.
Old 28-03-2010, 11:00
Crossed the Bar

Hi Invincible.He did indeed write those books.I particularly like the part in the Film "The Guns of Navarone" where the group are met by a special forces officer and the disapointed look on hims face when they turn down the offer of a German E-Boat! "Ice Station Zebra did indeed have a majority of the plot set on a submarine.Unfortunately American! Regards Steve.
Old 28-03-2010, 12:06
Captain

couple of great submarine films were "Morning departure", and "We dive at dawn", both with John Mills as the sub skipper. another wartime film that was taken as a propaganda film was "Close Quarters" which starred real submarine crew and the skipper was Lt Cdr Gregory, the boat was I believe "Tribune"
Old 28-03-2010, 19:51
Crossed the Bar

Hi Alanandbren.Did you know that "Morning Departure" was very nearly never released? It had been made about the time of the HMS/M TRUCULENT disaster and the producers thought that this film would cause offense.However the Admiralty gave their permission and in the titles sequence it pays tribute to TRUCULENT's crew.Regards Steve.

Last edited by steve roberts : 28-03-2010 at 19:53. Reason: spelling!
Old 28-03-2010, 20:24
Crossed the Bar

Invincible. Here is another author of what might loosely be called Naval Fiction.His name is Patrick Robinson.His main character is an American Admiral called Arnold Morgan.Most of his books have highly improbable plots like the Stealing of a British Upholder class submarine.Providing you realise he is only trying for effect,and don't assume he has inside knowledge,His books are not too bad. Regards Steve.
Old 01-04-2010, 18:18
Crossed the Bar

Nicholas Montserrat has been mentioned a few times on this thread.His classic is obviously "The Cruel Sea",but he wrote numerous other books about the small ship navy.Including "Three Corvettes" "HM Corvette""The ship that Died of Shame". The list is endless. His last book was "Darken Ship" which unfortunately was never finished.Regards Steve.
Old 22-04-2010, 23:03
Sub-Lieutenant

Smile Re: Is there a place for Naval fiction here?

G'day All,happy St.George's day !
To all the Hornblower followers,does anyone know if there is a tale,written by C.S.Forester,or anyone else,which covers the period when H.M.S.Indefatigable with H.M.S.Amazon drove ashore the French line-of battleship Droits de L'homme,13/14 January 1797.Hornblower should have beenaboard the Indefatigable at the time,and there seems to be a gap in Forester's narrative between Hornblower's command of the supply ship Caroline,and his capture by the Spaniards when he was in the sloop 'Le Reve'.What was Hornblower's involvement when the Droit's de L'homme was destroyed ?
kind regards
Sid
Old 23-04-2010, 07:03
Leading Seaman

Quote:
Nicholas Montserrat has been mentioned a few times on this thread.His classic is obviously "The Cruel Sea",but he wrote numerous other books about the small ship navy.Including "Three Corvettes" "HM Corvette""The ship that Died of Shame". The list is endless. His last book was "Darken Ship" which unfortunately was never finished.Regards Steve.

Yes the last two books were a very ambitious project, following one man, Matthew Lawe, from Drake's navy, through to modern times (clearly some licence used here!). A pity the project was never finished, although at least he made it past Nelson - as a great admirer of the man and his times, this chapter was vintage Monsarrat.

The books are good and even the last, unfinished, novel worth the read, although little can compare with the grit, energy and sheer poetry of The Cruel Sea.
Old 23-04-2010, 07:23
Sub-Lieutenant

You've probably seen this website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Sea_(novel)

Does the sea on the cover of the book look cruel enough? Where are the huge waves and ocean abysses?
Any artists out there to take up the challenge?
Seagull

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 3rd January 1937 : HMS Diomede : Arrived and sailed Aden