World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 15-09-2011, 20:23
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Have PM'd you Clive.
Old 16-09-2011, 07:59
Captain

I have been reading up on the Mediterranean lately, to that end reading Vincent O'Hara's 'Struggle for the Middle Sea', ISBN 978 1 59114 648 3 USNIP Publishers and Barbara Brooks Tomblin 'With Utmost Spirit, Allied Naval Operations in the Mediterranean, 1942 -1945', ISBN 0 8131 2338 0.

I had been reading up on the Invasion of Norway, 1940, Geir Haar, but it is so detailed that it has been put aside for another day! I will look for a generalised book on that subject, then read that as a detail filler.
Old 17-09-2011, 10:51
Banned

I too have recently obtained Vince O'Hara's book-which I consider one of the best of it's kind.
Currently reading Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope's tome "A Sailor's Odyssey"
published by Hutchinson 1951.A fascinating read so far-ie. halfway.A must for all lovers of Naval History.

jainso31
Old 21-09-2011, 00:00
Forum Moderator.

Ol' ABC's book is a real jewel of naval history, and occupies an honored spot on Ye Olde Bookshelves here -- his career spanned the glory days of the RN in the 20th century and is an invaluable look at both World Wars at sea. His mentions of persons and personalities are a good look at the shakers and movers of the era from the perspective of a true old salt.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 25-09-2011, 09:05
Banned

Thumbs up Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

I have completed reading ABC's book and I can only echo what the previous poster has said-it is a gem; and belongs on all naval history lovers bookshelves.

jainso31
Old 26-09-2011, 02:14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Daly View Post
I've just finished reading a new book about the US-Iran confrontation in the 1980's Tanker War - covering the Iran-Iraq War, USS Stark, Mobile Sea Bases, the re-flagging of commercial tankers for US protection, US Army Special Ops helicopters, USS Samuel Roberts, and the Vincennes-Iran Air incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INVINCIBLE View Post
James,

Thanks for your recommendation - sounds really interesting - what is the title? The Tanker War is well covered in "Strike from the Sea" and "Safeguarding the Nation" but from your post it sounds as if there is much more in the book you are reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Daly View Post
It's called 'America's First Clash with Iran: The Tanker War 1987-1988' by Lee Alan Zatarain, published by Casemate.
This is part of my personal history... I was aboard CV-61 USS Ranger, deployed to the Arabian Sea (off the south coast of Iran) in late 1987... an interesting time.

Thanks for the book title, I'll have to look it up.
Old 26-09-2011, 02:17
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackaroo View Post
John Paul Jones
The Pirate Patriot
Armstrong Sperry

Called a pirate by the British and a patriot by the Americans, Jones was an accused murderer, a hero, and the father of the United States Navy.

This book only 156 pages long can be read in half a dog watch. With material that is available on John Paul Jones this book was a bit disappointing.
So it doesn't cover his time helping build the Imperial Russian Navy?
Old 26-09-2011, 02:25
Admiral

I just finished reading Naval Aviation in the First World War: Its impact and influence by R. D. Layman.

A good overall view of the general progress of naval aviation... deliberately light on technical, organizational, and operational details in order to show the progress and attitudes of all combatants for the whole war (and there is a lot to show).

Rather completely punctures the myth of "Battleship Admirals holding back Naval Aviation"... and proves that it was the lack of technical progress (especially in regards to the capability and reliability of the aircraft) and over-estimation of the capabilities of aircraft of the period (including dirigibles & blimps) that caused the relative ineffectiveness of naval aviation operations in 1914-1919.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33
Rear-Admiral

Just picked up " The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Battleships & Cruisers " $7.95 at " Ollies ", a discount store in Mount Airey NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battleships_Cruisers_20111005_web.jpg (207.1 KB, 3 views)
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 06-10-2011, 12:31
Banned

I have just finished reading a Max Hastings' masterpiece-NEMESIS-The Battle for Japan 1944-45.(I believe this book is sold as RETRIBUTION in the US).Published in the UK by Harper Collins in 2007.It is a counterpart to the previously published ARMAGEDDON-the Battle for Germany 1944-45
A meticulous study of the entire campaign-warts and all-Hastings leaves no stone unturned - the book is also full of extremely interesting data.This book is a must for all students of the war against Japan including Burma.

jainso31
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57
Sub-Lieutenant

Just started PURSUIT, The sinking of the Bismarck by Ludovic Kennedy
Regards
Richard
Old 06-10-2011, 13:25
Chief Petty Officer

Just about to start 'The River War', W S Churchill. 'The reconquest of the Soudan'.
It has been in the freezer for just over a month as it was inhabited when it arrived! It still has a rather 'yuk' arroma to it though!
Old 08-10-2011, 20:07
Forum Moderator.

I've found some days of sunlight to be an effective remedy for that musty smell -- with accommodations to avoid excessive heat, of course. But then I'm talking from a place where sunlight is almost a constant event...

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 14-10-2011, 19:45
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
Just finishing Nautical Training Ships an Illustrated History by Phil Carradice. My Wife picked the book up for me at The Works (remainder book store) on Saturday for a very cheap £3.99. It's interesting, very comprehensive, well researched with lots of excellent photos. If there's a The Works near you, pop down to see if they have a copy.

Peter
Presently researching information for HMS Clio for the Directory on the site and came across this interesting site on Training Ships:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/trainingships/

Jim
Old 15-10-2011, 00:24
Forum Moderator.

Some may remember my posts in which I had mentioned not being too "up" on the British Pacific Fleet operations in WWII because it has always seemed to have gotten short shrift in the American histories, particularly Morison. Several posters mentioned David Hobbs' "The British Pacific Fleet," which--thanks to a birthday gift certificate from my son -- now graces my library shelves.

I'm just starting into it, but it is truly a great read in an area I needed to become more knowledgeable about, and I appreciate the recommendations of the forum members in pointing me to such a good book. Apparently, English editors still insist on high standards of composition and word usage by prospective authors. This, along with the obvious passion of the author for his subject make this an excellent read.

Regards to all my fellow "readers"!

Old 15-10-2011, 08:19
Banned

Exclamation Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

I have recently acquired Vince O'Hara's first book in his trilogy of WW2 Naval Actions-it is "The German Fleet at War 1939-1945" It is ,as with his subsequent two books;meticulously researched and absolutely burgeoning with all manner of details.
Again as with his follow on books it deals with virtually all naval actions from major to minor; and is an absolute "must" for all WW2 Naval scholars-reasonably priced at £9 or £10 plus p&p.from Amazon or AbeBooks.

jainso31
Old 15-10-2011, 15:44
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Williams View Post
I have been reading up on the Mediterranean lately, to that end reading Vincent O'Hara's 'Struggle for the Middle Sea', ISBN 978 1 59114 648 3 USNIP Publishers and Barbara Brooks Tomblin 'With Utmost Spirit, Allied Naval Operations in the Mediterranean, 1942 -1945', ISBN 0 8131 2338 0.

I had been reading up on the Invasion of Norway, 1940, Geir Haar, but it is so detailed that it has been put aside for another day! I will look for a generalised book on that subject, then read that as a detail filler.
Not currently reading this, but I not too long ago read a book about some earlier naval operations in the area...

Empires of the Sea: The seige of Malta, the battle of Lepanto, and the contest for the center of the world,
by Roger Crowley Random House, 2009 978-0-8129-7764-6

It is about the Muslim-Christian naval conflicts 1521-1580.
Old 18-10-2011, 19:51
Lieutenant-Commander

I'm presently reading With the Naval Brigade in Natal (1899-1900) by Lt. C R N Burne. Lt Burne was in charge of two of the twelve pounder guns from HMS Terrible and HMS Tartar which, along with 4.7 naval guns were used to help lift the seige of Ladysmith. The book is essentially Lt. Burne's journal, and very interesting it is, warts and all. Also, there are some interesting photographs of the trek plus technical information for the historian on the equipment and the 12 pounder and 4.7 naval guns.

I downloaded this book as an e-book for the Kindle from Project Gutenberg. There's some interesting stuff on there and it's all free! The e-books are also in other e-reader formats too, and if you don't have a Kindle or other e-reader you can download the software and read them on your laptop. Two other interesting titles I downloaded for free from Project Gutenberg are: The Harwich Naval Forces and their part in the Great War. and Submarine Warfare of Today(World War I, that is). I haven't yet read these.

Peter

Than you for the link on Training Ships, Jim. It's a very interesting website.

Last edited by barracuda : 18-10-2011 at 19:55. Reason: Text added.
Old 20-10-2011, 15:41
Vice Commodore

G'Day All.

I'm reading ICEBREAKER. Who Started the. Second World War? Viktor Suvorov. Translated by Thomas B. Beattie, is a 1987 documentary book, which alleges that World War II started as a result of Joseph Stalin's ploy to "liberate" the working class of Europe and eventually the whole world.

Yes, a bit off the beaten historical track in theory, but since I'd read his other books; The Liberators, Inside the Soviet Army, Inside Soviet Military Intelligence (GRU), Aquarium (Suvorov's life in the GRU), and Spetsnaz, I thought I'd give it a go.

Battlestar

LIBERTY CALL - Bonds of Friends and Allies - USN Visits to Western Australia 1975 to today

One Perfect Day, October 1988, Fremantle

Facebook Page - United States Navy Visits to Western Australia 1908 to Today
Old 21-10-2011, 06:51
Forum Moderator.

That has got to be an interesting book, battlestar. Anything on how Suvorov viewed the "liberation" of the workers of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union for 50 years following the war???

don

Old 21-10-2011, 18:28
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boyer View Post
That has got to be an interesting book, battlestar. Anything on how Suvorov viewed the "liberation" of the workers of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union for 50 years following the war???

don
Hi Don

Yes, Viktor Suvorov's book The Liberators, talks about his experiences in the Red Army in Czechoslovakia in 1968, it was a fascinating insight into both how the Red Army treats its own, and how the USSR treated its 'Allies'.

His other books were mandatory reading in the 1980's, they ensured that I'd never trust the USSR, diplomats, nor any 'Peace Activist'! as these books showed how they are used to support the murderers in Moscow.

I was so happy when the Wall fell! Just wish Putin would go away!

Battlestar

PS, the mistrust I had for the USSR, triple it for Communist China!

LIBERTY CALL - Bonds of Friends and Allies - USN Visits to Western Australia 1975 to today

One Perfect Day, October 1988, Fremantle

Facebook Page - United States Navy Visits to Western Australia 1908 to Today
Old 31-10-2011, 20:58
Forum Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlestar View Post
Hi Don

Yes, Viktor Suvorov's book The Liberators, talks about his experiences in the Red Army in Czechoslovakia in 1968, it was a fascinating insight into both how the Red Army treats its own, and how the USSR treated its 'Allies'.

His other books were mandatory reading in the 1980's, they ensured that I'd never trust the USSR, diplomats, nor any 'Peace Activist'! as these books showed how they are used to support the murderers in Moscow.

I was so happy when the Wall fell! Just wish Putin would go away!

Battlestar

PS, the mistrust I had for the USSR, triple it for Communist China!
I agree with your post most thoroughly. And like you, I think it's past time for the older hold-outs from the days of the Lubyanka to retire to the dacha on the Black Sea. However, those old KGB hands did provide a good service when the whole nasty Communist mess fell apart -- as members of the KGB, they were the only ones fully informed about the West, and USSR-West relationships, the rest of the populace having been raised on Pravda pap. In this sense, they had some people on hand who knew what was really going on and how to deal with it. But, as you say, now that the crisis has past, it's time for some new blood without the stained walls of the Lubyanka in their background.

Old 31-10-2011, 21:38
Vice-Admiral

"Twenty Five Centuries of Naval Warfare" by Jacques Mordal. An old book I picked up on a market stall.

I started reading it in a coffee house in Newcastle on Sunday, but in a senior moment I left it there. Fortunately the staff found it and are keeping it until I am next there. My excuse is that looking at the time I realised I was late and left it in my haste, only to find that I had forgotten to put my watch back an hour. Another senior moment.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:07
Chief Petty Officer

"Losing Small Wars" by Frank Ledwidge. A depressing and painful read concerning "British Military Failure in Iraq and Afghanistan". Ledwidge was an inteligence officer in the army in Iraq and a civilian type in Afghanistan. He won't be getting many Christmas Cards from the generals.
Old 05-11-2011, 21:38
Forum Moderator.

Not yet on my library shelves, but a "must have" on my list (emailed to certain knowledgeable individuals as the annual Christmas wish list, is "Joe Rochefort's War: The Odyssey of the Codebreaker Who Outwitted Yamamoto at Midway" by Elliot Carlson. It's been out since October, but I had not yet given it a go. I am always suspicious of "reviews" online, but I recently read one by RADM Donald "Mac" Showers, a friend and the last living member of the old Unit Hypo at Pearl Harbor who also wrote the introduction. He recommends it without reservation. For those with interest in code-breaking, the Pacific War in general, and the Battle of Midway in particular, this is a "must have!"

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 14th January 2006 : HMS Iron Duke : Plymouth Sound