World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 16-10-2017, 05:04
Lieutenant

Default Battle Class Destroyers.

I have borrowed the book "Battle Class Destroyers" by Patrick Boniface and first published in 2007 by Maritime Books, Lodge Hill, Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14 4EL. My having served the whole 18 month commission on HMS Lagos from June 1957 to Nov.1958 ( Lagos served only 2 commissions after WW2 and this was the first), I turned to the Lagos pages to review the ship's movements during the first commission, and compare them with my memories and photos. Imagine my surprise to read that the ship's movements in the book from July 1957 to Dec 1957 were complete rubbish and had the ship in the North Sea not the Med. I emailed the publisher to query the accuracy of the Lagos entry and was informed that there had been several complaints about the same thing over the years. The publisher suggested that the author had used the Admiralty proposed programme for the ship rather than the actual programme the ship carried out. Another error was the inclusion of HMS Armada in the 1st Destroyer Squadron whereas there were just 3, Solebay (Capt.D), Lagos. and Hogue. To prove a point, the movements for Hogue during the same period were also rubbish as Lagos and Hogue were very rarely parted for that 9 month portion of the commission. All this begs the question of how much of the other ships' movements in the book are correct. jonti
Old 16-10-2017, 16:58
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: Battle Class Destroyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonti View Post
I have borrowed the book "Battle Class Destroyers" by Patrick Boniface and first published in 2007 by Maritime Books, Lodge Hill, Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14 4EL. My having served the whole 18 month commission on HMS Lagos from June 1957 to Nov.1958 ( Lagos served only 2 commissions after WW2 and this was the first), I turned to the Lagos pages to review the ship's movements during the first commission, and compare them with my memories and photos. Imagine my surprise to read that the ship's movements in the book from July 1957 to Dec 1957 were complete rubbish and had the ship in the North Sea not the Med. I emailed the publisher to query the accuracy of the Lagos entry and was informed that there had been several complaints about the same thing over the years. The publisher suggested that the author had used the Admiralty proposed programme for the ship rather than the actual programme the ship carried out. Another error was the inclusion of HMS Armada in the 1st Destroyer Squadron whereas there were just 3, Solebay (Capt.D), Lagos. and Hogue. To prove a point, the movements for Hogue during the same period were also rubbish as Lagos and Hogue were very rarely parted for that 9 month portion of the commission. All this begs the question of how much of the other ships' movements in the book are correct. jonti
Hi Jonti,
I also was on LAGOS in 1957/58 and certainly remember doing an 'Iceland Patrol' (the 'Cod War') during that period. She also did the Med. (Cyprus Patrol). I remember calling at Lagos in Portugal on the way down. I did a course at STC Malta in June 1957 while serving on LAGOS.
Old 18-10-2017, 07:00
Lieutenant

Hi Mike. Nice to see someone else who served in the first Lagos Commission. The ship's movements in the book have us back in Chatham in July '57, in the North Sea until Dec'57 then back to the Med. until Mar '58 which was correct. No mention of our 6-8 week patrol up and down the Cyprus coast and a run ashore at Kyrenia with an armed shore patrol. Remember when the ship was despatched at all speed from Sheerness to Iceland as only the second ship involved with the start of the "Cod Wars" when we came off leave in Sept.'58. I did another patrol up there in Diamond in Nov and Dec '62, very cold and daylight for only 4 hours. jonti
Old 18-10-2017, 09:48
Lieutenant-Commander

Hi Jonti,
Must admit I have forgotten so much of the detail of my time in Lagos. However I do remember doing an exchange with the pongos up the Kyrenia
mountains. Thanks for bringing back interesting memories.
Mike
Old 19-10-2017, 06:01
Admiral

am EOKA gun runner being stopped by Corunna in 1965 on Cyprus patrol....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyprus patrol.jpg (47.5 KB, 13 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1934 : HMS Colombo : Arrived Socotra