World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 18-02-2015, 12:13
Leading Seaman

Default The Corvette Years

Hello,

I'm considering buying the book "The Corvette Years: The Lower Deck Story" written by Edward O'Connor. As my primary interest in the book is the section "HMS Bellwort - A Winding Down" written by J Stewart, has anyone got the book and can let me know how much info there is in the Bellwort section?

Many thanks
Old 22-11-2015, 15:34
Petty Officer

Default Re: The Corvette Years

Hi

There is a single page about Bellwort around the time of V.E Day and in July 45 written by John Stewart who was on of the crew. Basically the crew missed V.E Day as the ship was sent to Lisbon to pick up the majority of a U-boat crew interned at the port. He then recounts a story of losing a bunch of bananas in a storm that he had stowed in the crows-nest on the way back home from Gibraltar. He also recounts how a line broke free from the forecastle and fouled the propeller, bringing the ship to a stop. She was towed by a sloop for a while then a tug was sent from Plymouth and the ship finally made it back to Devonport. There is a photo of Bellwort entering Morpeth Dock, Birkenhead on page 29, but this is available from the Imperial War Museum if you wanted a copy. And that is all there is !

I would say it is not worth getting for the Bellwort snippet alone, but it is very good if you have a general interest in corvettes as the other accounts are fascinating and there are loads of crew and ship photos throughout.

Regards
Mark Walters
Old 25-11-2015, 13:56
Leading Seaman

Default Re: The Corvette Years

Hi Mark - super, thanks for your informative reply.

Best regards

David

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 22nd January 1935 : HMS Frobisher : Sailed Barbados