World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5276  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:29
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,854
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Perhaps she thought she was protecting her bairn from harm ?, bet she licked her hanky and wiped your face with it to Jim ......all signs of tenderness and protective instinct ........ .......not that a broad lad like you needed it..... eh Jim

Thank you for sharing your storey with us thou Jim
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
  #5277  
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Perhaps she thought she was protecting her bairn from harm ?, bet she licked her hanky and wiped your face with it to Jim ......all signs of tenderness and protective instinct ........ .......not that a broad lad like you needed it..... eh Jim

Thank you for sharing your storey with us thou Jim
Wife does that now Ivor
Jim
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5278  
Old 06-12-2017, 16:45
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

"Two Six, Heave"
Early winter morning departure. All from imagination
14" X 10"
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5279  
Old 06-12-2017, 19:29
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

HMS Suffolk Sights Bismarck.
a quote from 'An Eyewitness Account of the Sinking of HMS Hood' by Lt D. N. Paton
'Suddenly, at 7.22 in the evening of 23rd., one of the look-outs sighted Bismarck and Prinz Eugen emerging from a snow squall between Suffolk and the ice. There could be no mistaking the vastness of the battleship at the point blank range of seven miles, though the somewhat inappropriate remark of a midshipman – “Hood and Prince of Wales, I suppose” – subsequently became legendary. The enemy ships were moving fast in a S.W. direction parallel to the ice.'

When I read something like that, it makes me want to grab the brushes and paint it. Like here. Much more satisfying than the 'Eye candy' of the one above.
Jim
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5280  
Old 06-12-2017, 22:49
Gannet driver's Avatar
Gannet driver Gannet driver is offline
Vice Commodore
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kingston, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Interesting parallel with an extract from my father's account of the sighting and chase from SIKH.

"At this time it was rather squally and the sea pretty rough and we were continually getting soaked on the bridge. Almost full day-light came and though we had seen one or two of our own side, we had little idea where the enemy was, when suddenly I, who was lookout on the starboard side, saw her emerge from a rain squall a bare 5,000 yards away.

I simply yelled to the Skipper and once again we made a very hasty retreat. By all rights we should have been blown clean out of the water but for some unknown reason she never saw us. I think they must all have been pretty weary because they had been kept very much on the alert all night, as we kept nipping in from every direction."

How radar would have changed things......

As a total contrast, as you say, as the the "eye candy" above. I think it's gorgeous. Thank you, Jim.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5281  
Old 06-12-2017, 23:03
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

When I read things like that it sends shivers down my spine. So many phrases conjure up visions. Beat to Quarters. Load and Run Out. Slip and Proceed. How about a bit of nostalgia. ' Avgas Refueling. No smoking on Flight or Weather decks' Standby to recover Three Sea Vixens and one Gannet, launch the SAR Helicopter,
Jim
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5282  
Old 07-12-2017, 00:29
Gannet driver's Avatar
Gannet driver Gannet driver is offline
Vice Commodore
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kingston, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Sounds a perfect subject!

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5283  
Old 07-12-2017, 15:38
Scatari Scatari is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,554
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post

HMS Suffolk Sights Bismarck.

Jim
Attachment 163436
Beautiful one Jim
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5284  
Old 07-12-2017, 15:38
Scurs's Avatar
Scurs Scurs is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,001
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Funny how we remember "spiels" isn't it? Can't quite recall "Hands to flying stations, assume NBCD State ?, condition ?....no smoking aft of ? Bulkhead"....Carrier?, no Leander Frigate

More familiar with,(as it effected me whereas the above didn't)........."This is PCO, policy aircraft. Set fuze VT, set range 700, lookout bearing Green 90, 4/5's stand to"............same ship!
Reply With Quote
  #5285  
Old 07-12-2017, 15:50
tim lewin tim lewin is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E. Sussex
Posts: 2,981
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

close all watertight doors, special sea-duty men close up, hands to stations for leaving harbour.

the start of every great adventure....
Reply With Quote
  #5286  
Old 07-12-2017, 16:23
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim lewin View Post
close all watertight doors, special sea-duty men close up, hands to stations for leaving harbour.

the start of every great adventure....
oh so True.
Jim
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5287  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:17
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Yesterday was the Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbour. I painted this a while back as a small token of remembrance.
Dusk 8th Dec 1941 USS Enterprise CV-6 enters Pearl, to re fuel and store, she sailed on the 9th.
watercolour 15" X 4"
Jim
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5288  
Old 08-12-2017, 16:50
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

WIP Foul Deck
Got this far this afternoon, still to populate the deck, and a Gannet Overshooting
Jim
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5289  
Old 09-12-2017, 20:58
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Still some tidying up and maybe some more people and plane guard Helicopter.
Jim
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5290  
Old 10-12-2017, 19:39
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Finished
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5291  
Old 10-12-2017, 19:41
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Something diferent , Bloody Rose.
11" X 9"
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5292  
Old 12-12-2017, 15:58
Gannet driver's Avatar
Gannet driver Gannet driver is offline
Vice Commodore
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kingston, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Your two above - love the Hermes memory with me going round again - and the Bloody Rose. What inspired that one?
Reply With Quote
  #5293  
Old 12-12-2017, 16:22
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet driver View Post
Your two above - love the Hermes memory with me going round again - and the Bloody Rose. What inspired that one?
All the people who moan about me always painting ships!. So now I can say "No I don't, here's A Bloody Rose!.
Mind you, when the people who complain about the ships see the title, they will probably think 'here we go, another Bloody Flower class Corvette'.
Jim
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5294  
Old 12-12-2017, 17:45
Scatari Scatari is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,554
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post

All the people who moan about me always painting ships!. So now I can say "No I don't, here's A Bloody Rose!.

Mind you, when the people who complain about the ships see the title, they will probably think 'here we go, another Bloody Flower class Corvette'.
Jim
People complaining about you painting ships?

Have them court-martialed and shot!
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5295  
Old 12-12-2017, 21:00
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

That's a bit much Tim. I think a mild Keel Hauling would suffice.
Jim
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5296  
Old 13-12-2017, 16:53
Scatari Scatari is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 4,554
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
That's a bit much Tim. I think a mild Keel Hauling would suffice.
Jim
True - after all, it is the Christmas season!
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #5297  
Old 13-12-2017, 17:01
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Or I could always' set ma Dug 'on them!
Stop thief. Poppy our Jack Russell up to no good
9" X 10"
I'm going to have to see the Doc.... Floors 'an Dugs, whit nixt? Naket wimin???
Jim
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5298  
Old 14-12-2017, 11:25
Ednamay Ednamay is online now
Vice-Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: On the outskirts of Sandown, Isle of Wight
Posts: 1,981
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Jim - thank you for your beautiful seasonal "wanderings" from the straight and narrow!

Season's greetings. Edna
Reply With Quote
  #5299  
Old 14-12-2017, 16:31
Vegaskip's Avatar
Vegaskip Vegaskip is online now
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Auchtermuchty FIFE SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Convoy Rescue Ship St Clair steaming slowly through ice with Aurora Borealis.
W/C 11" X 9"
Not my best Aurora, but it will do for now.
image.jpeg
__________________
Jim
"No one is perfect, however being Scottish is near enough"!
Reply With Quote
  #5300  
Old 15-12-2017, 09:21
ivorthediver's Avatar
ivorthediver ivorthediver is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: "Cambridge Shore Battery" with Shoreham Lady Karen
Posts: 5,854
Default Re: Jims Ship Paintings

Keep up the good work Jim us oldens are getting fewer each year mate ...

Cheer us up with a cartoon or three , ....or break silence and pray tel [ no not im] whats the theme for this years "Christmas card offering" will be please Jim
__________________
What Ever Floats Your Boat
Reply With Quote
Reply



Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 17th January 1920 : HMS Emperor of India : Capt. J.C.W. Henley in Command

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Vegaskip
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helicopter-Ship Operations - Flight Test Programme on Board the Ship harry.gibbon Other Naval Topics 16 29-08-2015 23:05
Captured. Ship On Ship Actions Since 1900. culverin Battles and Events 8 13-03-2012 09:57
Manchester Ship Canal - Largest Ship Bart150 Merchant Ships 2 17-10-2011 09:20
Jims Naval Calendar astraltrader Other Naval Topics 58 04-01-2010 09:49
Ship Paintings. BECA@CLEAR.NET.NZ Other Naval Topics 2 13-03-2009 17:08


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.