World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Military History > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Any other topic on military history covering ancient and medieval battles and any other related topics

Old 28-08-2010, 19:29
Leading Seaman

Default Prisoner of War Lists

Has the Times or any other source any lists for the HMS Bedouin, Gloucester, Glow Worm, Havock,Hereward and the Sikh?
I have partial lists and are willing to share accordingly.
Best regards Ian
Old 10-12-2010, 14:14
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Prisoner of War Lists

Ian, here are a couple - what dates were `your' ships lost ??

FRENCH Ronald C L/Tel P/JX 137186 HEREWARD

HAINES Noel T J Marine PLY/X 3218 GLOUCESTER

They do not show up in list `POW German Occupied Territories'.

Sadsac
Old 28-01-2011, 18:54
Leading Seaman

HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
Old 28-01-2011, 19:06
Vice Commodore

Ian i assume from the thread title that you are interested in prisoners of war from the ships you list , a member of my family was RNVR and he was in a German prison camp i found this out from a link on the Forces Reunited web site though it gave me no information regarding the ship that he was from
Nigel
Old 11-02-2012, 20:41
Ordinary Seaman

Ian, If you are still researching HMS Sikh, my Nan tells me that my Grandad was on B gun on Sikh when it was sunk. His name was Jim Nolan, or Ginger. I'm lead to believe that a book was written about the boat with its name changed to HMS Skye, called lower deck by John Davies. If you have any info, please can you pass it on via the thread or email. Thanks, Gregg.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by immcleod View Post
HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
looking for Charles Walther in Laghouat camp from 11/04/1942 any info would be welcome
Old 03-05-2014, 16:36
Ordinary Seaman

Ian. I've been trying to get in contact with you to get an update on the crew list for HMS Havock. I think you have my email address otherwise contact me through this forum.
Regards
David Goodey
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53
Vice-Admiral

Gregg - I have a POW J. NOLAN Corporal R.M No. EX1870 POW No. 6159 Camp No. 18A.
Quite what / where Camp 18A is / was located I do not know.

Perhaps this is `your' Nolan ??
Do not know re Sikh & B Gun - Marines `mostly' served X & Y Turret.

DAVID ; if you are looking for a POW I can only go by name & if they were German POW.

Sadsac

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1933 : HMS Delhi : Sailed Palma

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

The heavy cruiser HMS Dorsetshire is brought up to sink the blazing wreck of the Bismarck with torpedoes at around 10:30 hours on the morning of May 27th 1941.  The once proud German ship had been ruthlessly pounded into a twisted and burning wreck by the British battleships Rodney and King George V.  HMS Dorsetshire and HMS Maori combed the area of the sinking for survivors, between them picking up a total of 110 out of an original complement of 2,300.

HMS Dorsetshire by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £2900.00
 The Leander class cruiser HMS Orion is shown departing Grand Harbour Malta late in 1945.

HMS Orion by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £500.00
 Type 21 frigate HMS Ambuscade (F172) is shown passing the swing bridge as she enters Taranto Harbour.

HMS Ambuscade by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £500.00
The R-class battleship Royal Oak lies at anchor in Scapa Flow between the wars ahead of her sisters Royal Sovereign and Revenge. HMS Repulse is passing the line on the left of the picture.
HMS Royal Oak by Ivan Berryman. (B)
Half Price! - £13.00

Admiral von Spees Flagship SMS Scharnhorst leads SMS Gneisenau in the opening stages of engaging the Royal Naval ships east of the Falklands, 8th December 1914.

Battle of the Falkland Islands by Randall Wilson. (Y)
Half Price! - £75.00
In the spring of 1942, USS Washington was the first of Americas fast battleship fleet to participate in combat operations when she was briefly assigned to the Royal Navy. On 28th June 1942, together with HMS Duke of York, HMS Victorious and an accompanying cruiser and destroyer force, she formed part of the distant covering force to convoy PQ17, bound for Russia. In the Pacific later that same year, she became the only modern US battleship to engage an enemy capital ship, sinking the Japanese battlecruiser Kirishima.

Arctic guardian - USS Washington by Anthony Saunders (P)
Half Price! - £3000.00
 HMS Norfolk and HMS Belfast of Force I are shown engaging the Scharnhorst which has already been hit and disabled by both HMS Duke of York and the cruiser HMS Jamaica.  Scharnhorst was never to escape the clutches of the British and Norwegian forces for, having been slowed to just a few knots by numerous hits, fell victim to repeated torpedo attacks by the allied cruisers and destroyers that had trapped the German marauder.

HMS Norfolk at the Battle of the North Cape by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
USS Maddox engaging North Vietnamese torpedo boats with 5-in gunfire, August 2nd, 1964, in the Gulf of Tonkin.

USS Maddox by Randall Wilson (AP)
Half Price! - £50.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

SFA19.  Laytown Beach by Chris Howells.
Laytown Beach by Chris Howells.
Half Price! - £45.00
 Jenson Button.  Reanult R202
Young Gun by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - £30.00
 Colin Edwards gave Honda racing another victory with an inspired performance during the last race of the season to put rival Troy Bayliss into second place. Bobs painting depicts the typically-aggressive cornering style of the Texas Tornado in his winning leathers as he threw the mighty Honda around the Imola racing circuit.

Down to the Wire by Robert Tomlin.
Half Price! - £60.00
Matt Le Tissier is quite simply a legend of Southampton Football Club. Since making his debut in 1986, Matt played 462 games for the Saints scoring 209 goals (including 49 penalties out of 50!)

Matt le Tissier by Gary Brandham. (Y)
Half Price! - £60.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Magdeburg, Germany, 10th April 1945.  Attacking from behind and above, ObLt.Walter Schuck, Staffelkapitain of 3./JG7, ripped through the massed boxes of 8th Airforce B17s, downing four in a single high speed pass.

Deadly Pass by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £275.00
 Shown in the colours of Jasta Boelke and carrying Baumers personal red / white / black flash on the fuselage, Fokker DR.1 204/17 was the aircraft in which he scored many of his 43 victories. Although the Sopwith Triplane had been withdrawn from service, German pilots frequently found their DR.1s being mistakenly attacked by their own flak batteries and, sometimes, by other pilots. For this reason, in march 1918, Baumers aircraft bore additional crosses on the centre of the tailplane and on the lower wings to aid identification. For some reason, his rudder displayed what appeared to be an incomplete border to the national marking. Nicknamed Der Eiserne Adler – The Iron Eagle – Paul Baumer survived the war, but died in a flying accident near Copenhagen whilst testing the Rohrbach Rofix fighter. He is shown in action having just downed an RE.8 while, above him, Leutnant Otto Lofflers DR.1 190/17 banks into the sun to begin another attack.

Leutnant Paul Baumer by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
 A pair of Fw190F fighters during the winter of 1943. The Fw190F and G had become the Luftwaffes standard fighter-bomber for ground attack.  The Fw190F was very effective in this role. Additional armour protection was given to ground-attack variants and the G version also could carry a single 4,000-pound (1,800-kg) bomb or numbers of smaller bombs. The Fw190 was also used as a successful night fighter during the autumn and early winter of 1943–44, using conventional daylight methods to attack RAF bombers after searchlights had illuminated them.

Fw190F Fighters - Winter 1943 by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £70.00
 One of 6,176 Halifaxes built during World War II, NA337(2P-X) was shot down over Norway on 23rd April 1945.  In 1995 it was recovered from the lake that had been its watery home for fifty years and has now been restored by the Halifax Aircraft Association in Ontario, Canada.

Halifax Mk.III NA337 by Ivan Berryman. (C)
Half Price! - £105.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Kursk, Central Russia, 1st July 1943.  Sdkfz 232 heavy armoured car and Sdkfz 247 light armoured car of the Reconnaissance battalion, 11th Panzer Division, scouting enemy dispositions prior to the Kursk offensive.

Scouting Ahead by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00
 88mm AA guns of the 23rd Flak Regiment, used as anti-tank guns by orders of Rommel himself, are shown firing on British Matilda tanks of 4th/7th Royal Tank Regiment.

Action at Arras, France, 21st May 1940 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 The men of the US 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment ambushed the German 1st Battalion, 6th Fallschrimjager Regiment making their way to Carentan, the Battle of Hells Corner ensued.

Hells Corner, 7th June 1944 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 1st Battalion in action at Escaut Canal, Belgium, May 1940. The last Highland Regiment to wear a kilt in battle, attacking the Germans at the River Escaut.  From the Diary of Captain R. Leah, 1st Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders : Tuesday 21st May : Bn left Ere about 2 a.m. to march back. Fortunately Coy Cmdr. were required for some sort of recce and we went in C.O.s car.  Arrived Taintignies 3 a.m. and self went out again with Wilkie in C.O.s car to look for for C Coy which had gone astray, and to see Q.M. about Bn rations in Wez-Velvain.  Could not find either.  Met the Battalion arriving from Ere when I left the village at 3 a.m.  Got back myself at 4 a.m. found empty house which I entered by window and slept well for 5 hours. Officers mess going in house beside M.T. park, and had good breakfast.  Fairly quiet morning and orders to move this afternoon to Bn assembly position S of Wez-Velvain.  Thence we were directed to Merlin and prepared for counter-attack to drive enemy off Western side of Escaut.

The Charge of the 1st Battalion Queens Own Cameron Highlanders by David Rowlands (AP)
Half Price! - £50.00