World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 30-12-2017, 19:17
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Modern Navy

FROM 'SAVE THE NAVY'

An expert inside view from Sir Humphrey in answer to the frequent and mindless “More Admirals than ships” criticism of supposedly top-heavy RN leadership

https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot....ds-more-2.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg admls.jpg (103.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-01-2018, 17:33
Admiral

WE SHALL SEE:

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson 'wins compromise over defence spending'

Gavin Williamson is on the brink of winning his first major battle as Defence Secretary as a spending review is set to be postponed following an outcry over proposed cuts to troop numbers.

Theresa May is expected to order a national security and defence review to be split in two, with the security element of the review proceeding as planned but the defence section put back by months.

Mr Williamson, together with a vocal group of backbench MPs from all parties, has argued that any further cuts to the Army or Royal Navy would prove disastrous to Britain’s military capability.

No final decision has yet been taken on the proposal to divide the review, but it was discussed at a meeting shortly before Christmas that was attended by Theresa May and other senior ministers.

Delaying the defence element of the review will give Mr Williamson extra time to make a case for maintaining the fighting strength of the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force.

Continues at - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018...ence-spending/

Also - The Ministry of Defence says a new base for the Royal Marines will be built in Devon despite rumoured plans to reduce troop numbers by 1,000 and scrap two amphibious assault ships.

Plans for a 'superbase' in Plymouth relocating Royal Marines from other parts of the UK to Devon were proposed in the 2016 Better Defence Estate Review.

But it was feared the idea would be shelved if the number of Royal Marines and ships is to be reduced.

See - http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-...-built-1014239
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLOSURES.jpg (117.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: Modern Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
1st S.L.'s LETTER TO THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

Please see attached.
Okay, I will be the fool guy that steps into the lion's mouth.

'As for the wider fleet, we have over 30 (Thirty') ships deployed this week.

Is the First Sea Lord including NATO ships in that claim, or do we now call a Royal Marine Rigid Inflatable a 'ship'?
Tis after all a letter in the Daily Telegraph and wrote by our First Sea Lord so it must be true. Our 'wider' fleet this week has over thirty ships deployed (no doubt as of the date of the letter)

I thought it was stretching the point if we were to claim we even had thirty operational ships and on a much sadder note, I wonder how many Royal Navy ships are today actually deployed in waters away from the UK shore.

Have we got ANY type 45's deployed overseas or are they still propping up the wall at Portsmouth.

PS
'There's a buzz going around the harbour that the Brit's are putting to sea' Oh the shame

Still, I guess our sailors are now...'Always home for tea' To quote yet another great RN drinking song
Old 08-01-2018, 12:55
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by glojo View Post
Okay, I will be the fool guy that steps into the lion's mouth.

'As for the wider fleet, we have over 30 (Thirty') ships deployed this week.

Is the First Sea Lord including NATO ships in that claim, or do we now call a Royal Marine Rigid Inflatable a 'ship'?
Tis after all a letter in the Daily Telegraph and wrote by our First Sea Lord so it must be true. Our 'wider' fleet this week has over thirty ships deployed (no doubt as of the date of the letter)

I thought it was stretching the point if we were to claim we even had thirty operational ships and on a much sadder note, I wonder how many Royal Navy ships are today actually deployed in waters away from the UK shore.

Have we got ANY type 45's deployed overseas or are they still propping up the wall at Portsmouth.

PS
'There's a buzz going around the harbour that the Brit's are putting to sea' Oh the shame

Still, I guess our sailors are now...'Always home for tea' To quote yet another great RN drinking song
Presumably not much has changed since the following was printed Glojo:

Vice-Admiral John McAnally, national president of the Royal Naval Association, told The Times that the scarcity of frigates and destroyers overseas was unprecedented and indicates the fleet is too small.
"I am distressed and alarmed. I do not see that it is easily remedied," he said. "The only answer is an increase in the defence budget.
"It is too small to meet what government want the armed forces to do."
A Royal Navy spokeswoman said it is "deployed globally on operations and will be protecting our national interests throughout Christmas and New Year".
"There will be 13 ships and submarines deployed away and in home waters, as well as the at sea nuclear deterrent," she added.
The frigates and destroyers are said to have returned to port for a combination of maintenance and crew needs.
From - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...cedented-move/

Diamond will join her five sister ships in Portsmouth, which are all currently in port after experiencing a range of issues, or are awaiting deployment.
Last year, responding to a Freedom of Information (FOI) request, the MoD confirmed the six Type-45 destroyers had spent a combined 1,515 days in UK ports for the year starting April 2015.
Four of the ships spent more than 300 days in British ports.
The warship to stay longest at its home port of Portsmouth was HMS Dragon which stayed for 330 days, although this came after a nine-month deployment.
A navy spokesman said at the time that the figures did not show that the ships were sitting idle.
He said they could be carrying out active duties while based overnight at Portsmouth and other UK bases such as Plymouth.
From - http://www.forces.net/news/all-six-r...iamond-returns

This may assist:
The Royal Navy is the principal naval warfare service branch of the British Armed Forces. As of December 2017, there are 74 commissioned ships in the Royal Navy. 20 of the commissioned vessels are major surface combatants (six guided missile destroyers, 13 frigates and one aircraft carrier) and 10 are nuclear-powered submarines (four ballistic missile submarines and six fleet submarines). In addition the Navy possesses a landing platform helicopter, two amphibious transport docks, 13 mine countermeasures vessels, 21 patrol vessels, four survey vessels, one icebreaker and two historic warships (Victory and Bristol).
From - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...yal_Navy_ships

P.S. 'More' sea time - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Channel.html

Last edited by Pelican : 08-01-2018 at 13:17. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-01-2018, 13:38
Lieutenant-Commander

Thank you Pelican for the very informative post and I guess our First Sea Lord may have been playing with words and his definition of 'ships' deployed.
Old 09-01-2018, 13:32
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by glojo View Post
Thank you Pelican for the very informative post and I guess our First Sea Lord may have been playing with words and his definition of 'ships' deployed.
Glojo - then there were 5 - see RN Destroyers: Later Daring Class - Type 45 - thread re Duncan.
Old 09-01-2018, 20:20
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Glojo - then there were 5 - see RN Destroyers: Later Daring Class - Type 45 - thread re Duncan.
Thanks Pelican and as you say, 'Then there were 5' but for how long?

I find it strange to read how frigates and indeed destroyers can be referred to as 'Major Ships' but I guess if that is all we have then I suppose they are indeed major ships, but to only have one 'major' ship deployed East of Suez is not what might be expected of a Royal Navy that in yesteryear ruled the high seas.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1963 : HMS Albion : Sailed Singapore