World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2017, 01:09
Forum Moderator.

Default AMF Shipyard Gets New Contract

Looks like the AMF Shipyard got a contract for Christmas -- to build a Fletcher-class destroyer. As CEO of the company, I know we are looking forward to the many days of construction work ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB C.jpg (1.47 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg FB 2.jpg (1.36 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg FB 1.jpg (1.66 MB, 23 views)

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Last edited by Don Boyer : 01-01-2017 at 20:33. Reason: typo
Old 01-01-2017, 02:53
Admiral

Default Re: AMF Shipyard Get New Contract

Ah... I built 3 of those in 1:720 back in my (much) younger days (8th grade). They were subcontracted through Revell.

Good to see you back.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:14
Forum Moderator.

Thanks my friend. Good old Revell -- kept me busy with many a model, with a few Renwals thrown in, hated Lingburgh because of their rubbery plastic... Plastic models probably kept me from a life of crime when I was young.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 01-01-2017, 09:10
Admiral

My last two builds before eyesight and hands prohibited such interests:-

Revel ALABAMA and Airfix VICTORY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alabama2.jpg (202.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Victory.jpg (350.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-01-2017, 20:39
Forum Moderator.

A slack day at the yard -- the minions have the day off for New Year's but we did get the base painting done. All supreme air-brush modeling experts may now faint dead away because rattle cans were used! I find those work just fine in flat colors because you can brush the paint gently with a very soft toothbrush and come out looking just fine in the end. Got lucky earlier and relocated an old model building instruction sheet that has the Fletcher rigging diagram, so I have something solid to go on this time out.

Base gray on the parts and hull, deck blue (awaiting a matte coat) and the stand are done. (Now for American football and being generally useless for the rest of the day, if I can get away with it -- when you have a wife, that's an iffy proposition at the best of times.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB 4.MS 21 PAINT 1.jpg (1.43 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg FB 6.DECK BLUE.STAND.jpg (1.15 MB, 7 views)

Old 02-01-2017, 01:31
Admiral

Amazing how much bigger your Fletcher is than my tiny scratch builds are! The side benefit is that my squadrons take up so much LESS room, but the dust is out of scale!

Good luck with your "rattlecans", but how will you do her camo?? DFO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fleets 05 oct16.jpg (1.87 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DD480 04.jpg (736.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Fletcher 01 may16.jpg (917.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 03:18
Forum Moderator.

Camo's easy -- I went for Ms 21. Screw camo -- . The first seven Fletchers had been repainted in Ms 18, 21, or 22 by September of '42 as they were all headed for exciting adventures in the Pacific theater.

Old 02-01-2017, 14:54
Admiral

Right, sure."Camo's easy"

But the BIG models look so much better in a snappy camo paint job of multiple colors, shapes, like the Italian light cruisers. No guts, no glory...swabbee DFO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luigi Cadorna 06 n friends.jpg (1.70 MB, 22 views)
Old 03-01-2017, 00:17
Forum Moderator.

They look like lots of profits for paint companies is what I think -- mostly wasted effort in the age of airpower. Besides, I'm doing an early 1943 Fletcher, not an "as built" Fletcher, so that means MS 21, not some splotch job that is inaccurate for the period...

Today being the last day of my 19-day vacation paid for by DFO's tax dollars, I've completed the hull and main deck this morning. Next comes the dreaded deck railings and bitts and such.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB 13.HULL AND DECK 2.jpg (1.73 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg FB 11.HULL AND DECK COMPLETE.jpg (1.82 MB, 15 views)

Old 03-01-2017, 00:47
Admiral

Glad to see you are doing something useful while you slack off from your job. So neat and precise; glad the Navy taught you something! Suuuuprising for a swabbee!!

Looks good-so far DFO
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58
Admiral

Hi Don ,

Looking good . I used work at that scale but eventually went bigger with Radio Control. Sometimes wish I'd stayed small , would have been cheaper and less space consuming. Some will tell you I have been constructing a 1/96 scale of our retired Royal Yacht ........ but it has taken 20 years thusfar because I continually put it on the backburner to build others [20 in all plus 3 racing yachts]. My new years resolution is to finish the RY.

I am in awe of your ultra-tidy workstation , mine looks like something a Tsunami left behind.

Take no notice of the comment on Post 10 . We in the Modelling World find these pondside Anoraks wherever we go [only joshing poster 10 ]

Looking forward to the completed Fletcher.

Dave H
Old 04-01-2017, 01:10
Forum Moderator.

"Ultra tidy" lasts through the first 30 minutes -- after that, it's the usual, "Where the hell did I put that left-handed metric clamp!" I can work out of two fishing tackle boxes -- in your scale I assume you have a shipyard in the garage full of exotic tools and lifts....

Old 09-01-2017, 14:56
Crossed the Bar

Go for it Don.

I shall follow this thread with great interest, maybe just to check how steady your hand is and how accurate your eyesight is too.

Good start too, and as Dave mentions, such a tidy workstation.

Happy New Year (belated) my friend.

Sandy.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:35
Forum Moderator.

Thanks for the new year's greetings Sandy. Late in reporting progress due to an argument between my smart phone and my email, Now fixed.

Moved on from the basic hull fit to the bridge and foredeck this week. Have some trimming of deck railings to go, install the signal stands on the signal bridge and finish the railing on the upper bridge deck. Will also finish the forward gun director for the 5" guns. Fun and more fun! My camera must be in love with that blue, as it comes out consistently darker than it actually is -- good old wartime navy deck blue started out fairly dark, but it didn't take much sun and sea to make it look "dusty" and faded!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170108_131209_resized.jpg (416.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20170108_184006_resized.jpg (498.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170108_185332_resized.jpg (385.7 KB, 9 views)

Old 10-01-2017, 07:55
Forum Moderator.

And on to the most annoying of the finishing details for the fore bridge area -- 20 mm guns. In this scale, I hate 20 mm guns. Not only do you have to trim off two parts of the original plastic gun, you have to add four detail parts. There are six on this Fletcher. Since I did 63 of them for the USS Missouri, at least I know the drill!

And I noticed the PE detail kit provided elaborate depth charge racks and reload racks along with the reload racks for the K guns. But no depth charges to go with them. They are 2mm x 3mm on the plastic version -- where in the heck can you get something that small that can be cut into a mess of depth charges? Anybody out there got any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB 16.2 MM GUNS.jpg (358.7 KB, 12 views)

Old 10-01-2017, 15:17
Admiral

2mm thick/dia? Any SPRUE that size/dia? If not wander Hobby Lobby and look for plastic ? in proper size. They have loads of "items" that can be utilized for modeling. I purchased some tiny beads there that are correct dia. to be German "wobbly pot" flak directors.

BTW, those 20 mm look pretty big to me ...........DFO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tirpitz done2.jpg (678.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 00:12
Forum Moderator.

Yeah, those would be 5" guns on your models! I checked our version of Hobby Lobby -- girl at the counter said they "might" have something in that size...I need to go that way anyway, so will check it out this week sometime. Sigh -- always some part designed to fight with one's construction skills!

Old 12-01-2017, 07:08
Forum Moderator.

More progress on the Fletcher bridge and deck. The MK 12/22 radar has to be fitted yet -- it's drying. I need to break out a pin and straighten some deck railing that got mooshed. The extra deck railing behind the searchlight will wrap around the mast when it's installed. Some touch-up painting and this section will be done.

I've discovered my eyes at age 69 aren't not the eyes I had at 50, and some of these PE parts are just too small for me to deal with anymore, so I blew them off! Hopefully the yard boss won't notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170111_205519_resized.jpg (523.7 KB, 16 views)

Old 13-01-2017, 06:31
Forum Moderator.

More progress today at the yard. Starting to look like a ship methinks. Have to glue down the bulwarks and do the usual clean up touch up of the paint before moving on to the midships deckhouse, the two torpedo tubes and the stacks, which are already painted up. Due to football playoffs this weekend, I've given the yard crew the whole weekend off, with pay, and will get back on the job next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170112_194937_resized.jpg (640.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170112_194947_resized.jpg (662.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 13-01-2017, 09:27
Admiral

Progressing nicely Don and I still think your Dockyard looks like it is awaiting a white gloves inspection by the Admiral.

These old eyes are still playing up , or rather , the Spectacles are , so I need to get off the Specsavers so I can recommence work in my yard.

Onward and Upward my friend. .... looking forward to the day she is completed.

Dave H
Old 14-01-2017, 06:34
Forum Moderator.

Started the mid-ships deckhouse section tonight before the weekend non-stop football action starts. Stacks, torpedo tubes and fiddly bits like the boats go on this section. So it's been making parts that don't exist in the model, adding PE parts and painting the fiddly bits that make up the whole deckhouse. And I only broke one part and cut myself once with an Exacto blade...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170113_195919_resized.jpg (749.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170113_195543_resized.jpg (689.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20170113_202244_resized.jpg (1.23 MB, 12 views)

Old 14-01-2017, 12:03
Forum Moderator

Its looking good Don

Jim
Old 16-01-2017, 20:16
Forum Moderator.

Catching up on the work over the weekend and today. The foremast is done, which involved taking off most of the parts of the kit mast and replacing them with the much better detail parts. I was avoiding this part, then realized I would need to fit it before putting in the mid-deck section to avoid the hassle of fitting it down through a very restricted area. The mast base was, of course, too large for the hole made in the deck for it -- why am I not surprised -- so I fixed that first thing. For dealing with so many microscopic parts I was proud of actually getting them all to fit without losing any hair. If there is one place slow and steady paid off, it was the mast!

(These photos all come from my phone, and I though something was wrong with it because of the lines across the photos -- then I realized the ceiling fan was responsible for the patterns because the overhead light is right below the fan blades. What a time for my nice Samsung camera to be on the fritz!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB 27.MAST AND REPL.PARTS.jpg (787.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg FB 28.NEW YARDARM.jpg (1.42 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg FB 30.REMAINING MAST PARTS.jpg (958.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg FB 34.MAST CONSTR.4.jpg (551.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FB 36.MAST INSTALLED.jpg (688.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 16-01-2017, 20:21
Forum Moderator.

Have moved on to the after deck section with it's two 5" guns and twin 40 mm mount. Added in parts that weren't in the kit, as usual, but otherwise pretty straightforward assembly. Will glue down the deck once I finish the main deck additions of K-guns and depth charge racks and assorted gear.

I decided to replace the midships deck railing with better pieces, that will come after all the DC work is done. And of course my micro-paint brush is waiting in the wings for the ever-important touch up of gray and blue!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB 37.START AFT DECKHOUSE.jpg (712.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FB 38.AFT DECKHOUSE.jpg (740.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg FB 39.AFT DECKHOUSE.GUN FIT.jpg (680.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FB 40.AFT DECK FIT.jpg (556.5 KB, 10 views)

Old 16-01-2017, 22:38
Admiral

My! Look at all those "big" parts!! Looking fine!! That time spent in USN must have done some GOOD!!!! DFO

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 24th January 1930 : HMS Daffodil : Arrived Accra