World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 20:37
Crossed the Bar

Default Re: HMS Ocean (1944-62) Winter Refit - by Bodgitt and Bodgitt.

Well ...... I shut the brute down and I'm back.

There's progress for the silver surfers ( or even the ginger ones).

Sandy.
Old 08-02-2013, 21:18
Forum Moderator.

[quote=Vegaskip;10062682]Sorry to disagree Don, look closely and you can see the main wheels extending from the wings, Hellcat F6F.

By George, I think he's got it. Why am I getting the impression I need to get my eyes checked out. Just not seeing them like I used to -- sigh...

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 22-02-2013, 15:19
Crossed the Bar

Greetings, followers of the totally banal!

I am speaking to you now from Windows8, a medium as obscure to me as basket weaving! However, I managed to instal the lot without the aid of a safety net.

New computer (old one just as crotchety as me), so back online now and still making progress with HMS OCEAN despite having to wrestle with 21st century cyber technology.

Robbie has carried out the majority of works at the Southsea plant, which means that when the ships side is complete (both ends) all of the ancillary gear can be clagged-on to make an almost instantaneous difference. This means catwalks, armament and directors for the sponsons, boat decks, weather decks etc, etc.

Currently working my way down the starboard side creating rolled edging for the boat decks and weather decks.

Sorry for not posting images, but setting up this PC in the old style configuration (if it deigns to let me).

First display outing of the year last Sunday and HMS RENOWN (formerly BARHAM) attracted a lot of attention, which is great recognition for our efforts. I think Robbie was delighted, and so he should be.

So, more to come now guys, and hopefully more pictorial progress in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sandy and Robbie.
Old 22-02-2013, 16:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyerman View Post
Greetings, followers of the totally banal!

I am speaking to you now from Windows8, a medium as obscure to me as basket weaving! However, I managed to instal the lot without the aid of a safety net.

New computer (old one just as crotchety as me), so back online now and still making progress with HMS OCEAN despite having to wrestle with 21st century cyber technology.

Robbie has carried out the majority of works at the Southsea plant, which means that when the ships side is complete (both ends) all of the ancillary gear can be clagged-on to make an almost instantaneous difference. This means catwalks, armament and directors for the sponsons, boat decks, weather decks etc, etc.

Currently working my way down the starboard side creating rolled edging for the boat decks and weather decks.

Sorry for not posting images, but setting up this PC in the old style configuration (if it deigns to let me).

First display outing of the year last Sunday and HMS RENOWN (formerly BARHAM) attracted a lot of attention, which is great recognition for our efforts. I think Robbie was delighted, and so he should be.

So, more to come now guys, and hopefully more pictorial progress in the near future.

Kind regards,

Sandy and Robbie.
Can't wait to see your progress guys!
Old 22-02-2013, 16:12
Vice Commodore

Pleased as anything that you're back online, Sandy. One feared that you had been driven along the cyber highway to basket- weaving in a nice quiet place with friendly white coated staff However would we have coped without regular briefings from Dockyard of Bodgett & Bodgett?

Congratulations on the success of the first display of 2013 and the public unveiling of HMS Renown

More power to da Owner as he slaves away at the Southsea end of the Works. 'The Wardroom' is arranging for a daily deliveries of erm... Nerve Tonic to sustain the combatant at Waterlooville during the battle betwixt the Black Art of Windows8 and warship construction.

Missy
Old 23-02-2013, 20:41
Vice Commodore

The Admiralty awaits ever so patiently ------------------- or not.

<a href=http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/image.php?u=4345&type=sigpic&dateline=1228940259 target=_blank>http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ine=1228940259</a>

Battlecruiser Renown in 1936 - looking as splendid as ever.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Us piston types during Korea , as well as the Corsair, were Bearcat, Skyraider, and Tigercat ( twin engine, and I think one of the best looking designs of the era).
Jets, Fury,Cougar,Phantom, ( no not that one) Panther. I don't think any of the jets would be on board except for transporting.
Regards Jim
Other USN piston types operating from carriers during the Korean period were:
TBF/TBM Avenger (as COD and general duties)
AF Guardian (ASW/maritime patrol)
AJ Savage (three-engine nuclear bomber).

The first is well-known, the next and last more obscure.

Quote:
The Grumman AF Guardian was the first purpose-built anti-submarine warfare (ASW) carrier-based aircraft to enter service with the United States Navy. It consisted of two airframes, one for detection gear, the other for weapons. The Guardian was the largest single-engine piston-powered carrier aircraft ever to see service.

On 24 December 1945, the Navy changed the role of the aircraft from torpedo-bomber to anti-submarine warfare. All the required equipment could not be fitted into a single aircraft, consequently two variants would be produced, one as a "guppy" (hunter) and another as a "scrapper" (killer). The hunter aircraft would not carry any armament, but instead two additional crew members and a ventral radome for APS-20 search "eyes" (radar) and Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) "ears", consisting of an APR-98 Countermeasures Receiver and AP-70 Bearing Indicator. This aircraft, the XTB3F-1S, first flew in November 1948. The "killer" deleted the cannon of the torpedo bomber, but retained the bomb bay, added a third crewmember, a searchlight, and short-range radar, and (as the XTB3F-2S) first flew in January 1949.

Redesignated as AF-2W (TB3F-1S) and AF-2S (TB3F-2S), the Guardian entered fleet service on 27 September 1950 with three aircraft delivered to VS-24, with full service introduction shortly after with VS-25. A total of 193 AF-2S Guardians were built. In 1952, the AF-3S (hunter) was introduced, fitting a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) for the detection of submerged submarines; 40 of this variant were built. The last Guardian was delivered to the Navy in March 1953, with a total of 389 built.

The Guardian saw service in the maritime patrol role during the Korean War, however it proved unpopular with pilots, being underpowered and heavy on the controls; the aircraft suffered from a severely high accident rate. Shortly after the end of the war, it began to be replaced by the Grumman S2F Tracker, the first purpose-built single airframe ASW airplane to serve the U.S. Navy. The last AF retired from active service on 31 August 1955, but it remained in service with the US Naval Air Reserve until 1957.
Quote:
The North American AJ Savage (later A-2 Savage) was a carrier-based bomber aircraft built for the United States Navy by North American Aviation.

The AJ Savage was a large composite-powered carrier-borne Attack Bomber designed to deliver nuclear ordnance. It also performed photo reconnaissance duties and later on was used as an aerial refueling platform. The Heavy Attack versions were the first nuclear bomb carrying bombers able to be launched from and recovered on aircraft carriers.

The Savage had two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 piston engines, with a large turbocharger fitted inside each engine nacelle. This combination made it possible for the R-2800 engines to produce rated power (2,500 hp/1,864 kW) up to 42,000 ft (12,802 m) altitude. An Allison J33 turbojet was fitted in the rear fuselage. Interestingly, both engine types used the same fuel. The piston-turbojet arrangement was intended to give added power on take-off and extra dash speed while in combat.
Old 26-02-2013, 13:02
Admiral

Thanks for that Jon , always an interesting post from you and factual
Old 11-03-2013, 16:57
Crossed the Bar

Thanks guys for the preceeding posts.

This old dinosaur has been getting to grips with Windows8, something a two-year-old would not find difficult, but septuagenarians have to wrestle with.

What made the transition more complicated was that I upgraded from XP to Windows8, bypassing Vista and Windows7. And now my head hurts.

We've spent the interim time refurbishing and tidying the gunnery sponsons. They were in a reasonable condition, but each sponson required new screens in order to look uniform. We fitted a new (and previously missing) Flight Deck Engineer Officer's catapult control sponson, the forerunner of the now commonplace "Howdas".

Meantime the ships side has gone through several coats of ships side grey as each new bit has been attached and sprayed.

The flight deck "edging" has been applied, and it makes the deck edge much crisper when viewed from above (or at 400 metres).

Robbie has manufactured the majority of the catwalks, and we cannot wait until we can apply that detailing. He's doing a grand job despite having recently been poorly. At present he is rearranging the island down at the Southsea 'yard.

Some images (via Windows8) of the fprward section showing more uniform sponsons.

More later, and thanks for your patience during the considerable lull.

Sandy and Robbie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_SV500528.jpg (37.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg m_SV500529.jpg (47.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg m_SV500530.jpg (44.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-03-2013, 17:06
Admiral

Looking good Sandy ...No Joint in hull or am I in need of a visit to Specsavors
Old 11-03-2013, 17:40
Admiral

Excellent Sandy, pass my regards to Robbie, you'll soon be on to the fiddly bits, my favourites
Jim
Old 11-03-2013, 23:58
Admiral

Looking great Sandy!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58
Admiral

Blooming heck Sandy - photo 3 - that's a 'kin great lift shaft! What's she operating Lancasters?

Looking good though mate
Old 12-03-2013, 15:16
Crossed the Bar

Thanks you good peoples.

Scurs, the lift aperture is that size just in case of the return of Lieutenant Colonel James Doolittle USAAF and his famous cabs. Unlike his WWII launch carrier, we in Britain have more forethought and have designed-in adequate transportation below decks to the hangar.

In reality, the flight deck was designed and moulded that way to accommodate sound effects etc. It makes the forward section void space pretty cavernous.

Disclaimer:
These narratives come to you by way of Windows8. Any mispronunciation, misspelling, errors of syntax or grammar; any misplaced apostrophies slipped in to where they should not be resident; are all the fault of the multitude of software writers at M$ entirely, and not (repeat NOT) the fault of the MEO's writer.

Sandy (not responsible and never has been) and Robbie (da owner).
Old 12-03-2013, 21:22
Admiral

Serious thought - often wondered with that Doolittle raid how the heck lumbering great Mitchell Bombers got airborne before running out of deck!
Didn't have steam catapults did they?
I suppose a bit like operating Wellington Bombers from OCEAN! Good luck to all who try!
Old 13-03-2013, 08:00
Admiral

No, the B-25s did not use the hydraulic catapults on Hornet... just ship speed+natural wind+Wright Cyclone R-2600 power+North American Aviation wing design!
Old 13-03-2013, 08:39
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Blooming heck Sandy - photo 3 - that's a 'kin great lift shaft! What's she operating Lancasters?

Looking good though mate
Dont worry Sandy , I think they mean your equipment access bay mate
Old 13-03-2013, 08:40
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
No, the B-25s did not use the hydraulic catapults on Hornet... just ship speed+natural wind+Wright Cyclone R-2600 power+North American Aviation wing design!

Were they not standard production model B25's Jon
Old 14-03-2013, 06:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Were they not standard production model B25's Jon
Yes, they were B-25Bs in normal squadron service... but with a number of equipment items removed to lighten them for a lower take-off speed (and thus shorter take-off run).
Old 18-03-2013, 20:11
Crossed the Bar

Many thanks for the foregoing information guys.

We achieved quite a bit today at the Waterlooville 'yard.

The flight deck has been painted twice, mainly because the indicated Slate Grey was too light (it didn't do what it said on the tin) and had to be darkened by adding 15% same type Black. Never mind eh?

The fan intake space just below the aft end of the island has had its grille fitted.

Under that is a four-port weather deck which was manufactured by Robbie and fitted in position this morning. Tricky business, but it went well in the end.

Next trick ...... the forward starboard boat deck. Again manufactured by Robbie, this positioning proved to be difficult as well. The assembly had to be held tightly in position for at least fifteen minutes until the P38 cured.

Down at the Southsea 'yard, Robbie (who is fully recovered now) has been hard at work refurbishing the island. (No, not Portsea island, although it could do with it). Some of the features have been removed but we hope to retain the foremast (tripod), funnel etc. Robbie manufactured a sponson for the aft quad gun which looks pretty good already. The row of double Carley Floats has also been attached.

One small section of catwalk has been affixed to the starboard side and this in itself has has improved the fussiness of the business edge of the flight deck.

Overall we're happy with progress today.

Sandy and Robbie (da owner).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500531.JPG (369.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SV500533.JPG (391.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SV500534.JPG (1.20 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SV500535.JPG (362.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SV500536.JPG (361.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg SV500537.JPG (369.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SV500538.JPG (419.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 18-03-2013, 20:24
Crossed the Bar

Next on the list will be manufacturing and fitting of the expanse of the cable deck.

This will have to be carefully measured and slid into place just under the flight deck forward.

There are a series of bollards and fairleads inside the apertures along the leading edge of the flight deck, and it's only right and proper that these should be represented.

Regards,

Bodgitt (snr) and Bodgitt (jnr).
Old 18-03-2013, 20:38
Admiral

All looking up to the usual high standard guys, remember there are quite a few people following your efforts with interest.
Keep up the good work
Jim
Old 19-03-2013, 15:15
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
All looking up to the usual high standard guys, remember there are quite a few people following your efforts with interest.
Keep up the good work
Jim
With, I might gently warble, awestruck admiration!
Old 19-03-2013, 20:54
Crossed the Bar

Thanks for your kind comments gentlemen.

I was about to clag-on the pendant number this afternoon, but decided to check through photographs of OCEAN between 1950 and 1953 first. I'm glad that I did. None show her sporting her pendant number (R68) at around that time.

Do any of you know when she first had her pendant number painted? I know that pendant numbers throughout the fleet were rationalised about 1948 onwards.

Bodgitt (jnr).
Old 19-03-2013, 23:44
Captain

Location: Just moved to the middle of nowhere - somewhere east of the Cheviot Hills

Just a thought - would the pennant numbers have been removed during
service in Korean waters
Great job by the way

Geoff

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 11th January 1939 : HMS Greyhound : Guarded delayed Convoy FN.54 at Southend