World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14-12-2012, 16:18
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Ocean (1944-62) Winter Refit - by Bodgitt and Bodgitt.

In the 60s the rule of thumb was landing area, dark slate grey, the rest (grass?) a sort of mid green. I don't think I was ever on a ship where we were not trying out Flight Deck paint.
Jim
Old 14-12-2012, 16:59
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
In the 60s the rule of thumb was landing area, dark slate grey, the rest (grass?) a sort of mid green. I don't think I was ever on a ship where we were not trying out Flight Deck paint.
Jim
Yes Jim thanks for that as thats what is on my Model of HMS Victorious and it was you that volunteered the information to me , everyone that has seen it says how factual it looks and the few crew members in our club who were on her said how seeing it sent a chill down there backs [not shore if having to paint the deck caused that emotion in them ]

There you go Sandy hope that helps
Old 14-12-2012, 19:13
Crossed the Bar

Thanks Jim and Ivor.

It confirms what I mentioned about HERMES first commission (1959-62), but I think that the early 1950's flight decks may have been slate grey only, apart from the obvious markings.

Of course, whatever "da Owner" wants .......................... he gets.

Cheers,

Sandy and Robbie.
Old 14-12-2012, 19:52
Admiral

Fink it wus da Angled deck what did it
Jim
Old 14-12-2012, 21:49
Vice Commodore

I cannot say for certain but, the flightdeck of HMS Ocean was probably painted in a uniform colour as per the straight-decked HMS Theseus seen below.

The flightdecks of the angled-deck carriers were two-toned to highlight the portion of the angled deck as per HMCS Bonaventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS Theseus 2x.jpg (1.08 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg CVL HMCS Bonaventure 4.jpg (937.7 KB, 36 views)

<a href=http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/image.php?u=4345&type=sigpic&dateline=1228940259 target=_blank>http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ine=1228940259</a>

Battlecruiser Renown in 1936 - looking as splendid as ever.
Old 15-12-2012, 09:14
Admiral

Sandy.........from memory (though I shouldn't rely on it, I don't!) OCEAN had slate grey deck......leastways in 1962! However as it was dark (or dusk at the best) when I walked that deck half a century ago, I suppose it could have been sky-blue pink for all I noticed!
Old 15-12-2012, 11:19
Crossed the Bar

Thanks guys, much as I thought. Grey it is then.

Monty, thanks for those wonderful images, absolutely brilliant and crystal clear. We now see why you requested a half angle to the flight deck,................................ "BONNY" looks really bonny. Those images amplify Jim's comment admirably.

Scurs, walking along OCEAN's flight deck in the gloom may have highlighted the dips beween supporting frames on the deck. The deck took a pounding from heavier aircraft, including a jet, so consequently the steel/aluminium started to stretch, leaving dents in a uniform pattern along the "business stretch".

But we won't recreate that effect on the model.

Sandy and Robbie.
Old 15-12-2012, 19:30
Crossed the Bar

In order to escape Saturday evening television I've taken myself upstairs and started on the boat deck and weather deck rolled edging. This forms the periphery around each aperture and is a fairly tricky job, especially where the rounded corners are concerned.

In order to achieve this, some 2mm half round extrusion was purchased. This extrusion refuses to bend round corners, so a lot of disused sprue was utilised. The rounded corners of of the sprue are excellent for the job. Once filed flat on one side (to marry-up to the half round section), the straight extrusion is joined (to the correct dimensions!!) and the whole assembly is then glued to the hull around each access.

In the images, the right hand aperture has the rolled edging and the left, is without.

Never had to do this job before, but this Heath Robinson affair seems to work.

Anybody else had experience of it?

With a multitude of apertures requiring this treatment, it is hoped that we don't run out of sprue.

Sandy and Robbie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500498.jpg (70.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg SV500497.jpg (94.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 16-12-2012, 10:05
Admiral

The short answer is No Sandy .....but yours looks nicer ......I just rounded the edges over ,but they look good , and like the way you did your walls inside the apertures ....makes them look far better I feel and more like a ship on duty rather than what most people would see it as ...as collection of plastic bits .......but they obviously don't take pride in their efforts unlike us a Sandy .

Its like our other models where you take the time to fit handsets and Fire hoses rolled up and "Ready" ....sorry for being classed as a nerd but I like my models to look "Live" if possible .........and I know you do by your previous examples
Old 16-12-2012, 10:52
Admiral

Hi Sandy / Robbie ,

First look in on the new Winter Project and looking good [but then it always does]. A carrier refurb should prove to be a tad easier on the stress levels than the Renown so up two revs and fair winds to you.

Will follow it's journey all the way [and don't ask about the RY]

Dave H
Old 16-12-2012, 19:00
Crossed the Bar

And a jolly big Hi from us Dave. Good to have you on board mate.

I won't mention your RY if you don't mention my fence. Ooops, I've just mentioned your RY.

Is RY short for "railway" Dave?...... or Really Yummy ..... or Rudyard Yipling?

Got your e-card mate. Many thanks.

Afternoon's sailing today, very nice and all went well.

Sandy and da Owner, Robbie.
Old 16-12-2012, 19:39
Crossed the Bar

Hope to post some more on progress tomorrow.

Da Owner is arriving at the stocks in the morning to view the ships side progress and to decide upon acceptance so far.

We anticipate fitting the outfall channels down the ship's side, a signature feature on WWII carriers.

Viewed the aft section at the Southsea subsidiary and progress is good. All screens have been removed from the sponsons and their decks sanded back to smooth. This has not happened at the Waterlooville 'yard.

Da owner has been manufacturing the weather deck and boat deck recess boxes, but these will not be fitted until near completion of the hull and fittings. (They may also be lit by little lamps). Awww. He has also made a plug and a mould of the sixteen (or so) single Bofors guns, thus saving us a smally fortune on accessory acquisition costs.

Things will slow a trifle over the Christmas period, but be assured, when we get a moment, we'll be fettling the other fixtures and fittings when time dictates.

Thanks for looking-in on this little saga. We thoroughly appreciate your comments and support.

Robbie and Sandy.
Old 18-12-2012, 21:06
Crossed the Bar

Yesterday's progress, hardly earth shattering, but progress nevertheless.

We finally managed to fit the forward section port outfall channelling. The Waterlooville 'yard had a deranged Scotsman wandering around searching for a pallet of guardrail stanchions most of the morning. He had scoured the Southsea subsidiary for these and was positive that they were located at Waterlooville. They were subsequently discovered at ....... (We'll let you know at the end of the refit).

Once the boot topping line has been established, the length of the outfall channelling will be adjusted. Some were shorter than others and didn't extend so far down the ship's side. Also, some were larger than others, bearing in mind the projected waste capacity. (Are you listening intently? We'll be asking questions later). It's also a learning curve for us.

Sandy and Robbie.

The gun and boat sponson screens have now been removed as per the good example set by the Southsea subsidiary 'yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500499.jpg (214.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SV500500.jpg (146.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SV500501.jpg (129.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 18-12-2012, 21:27
Admiral

Sandy, this split hull is an excellent idea, I a bit flummoxed as to why 'they' didn't do this with the two new ones. Inter changeable bow sections, catapults, ski jumps, the choice is limitless. You could even have an extra long one and operate Lancasters!
Anyway to keep this 'legal' and of a Model topic, looking excellent, and shows the quality of work with the paint work to the same care on the in side as the out.
Thanks for posting
Jim
Old 19-12-2012, 01:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyerman View Post

Sandy and Robbie.
Looking good Sandy - thanks for the update.
Old 19-12-2012, 12:32
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyerman View Post

We finally managed to fit the forward section port outfall channelling. The Waterlooville 'yard had a deranged Scotsman wandering around searching for a pallet of guardrail stanchions most of the morning. He had scoured the Southsea subsidiary for these and was positive that they were located at Waterlooville. They were subsequently discovered at ....... (We'll let you know at the end of the refit).

Once the boot topping line has been established, the length of the outfall channelling will be adjusted. Some were shorter than others and didn't extend so far down the ship's side. Also, some were larger than others, bearing in mind the projected waste capacity. (Are you listening intently? We'll be asking questions later). It's also a learning curve for us.

Sandy and Robbie.

The gun and boat sponson screens have now been removed as per the good example set by the Southsea subsidiary 'yard.
Thats a new one on me Sandy ....was this some means of "Waste" removal that wasn't on the Victorious Please
Old 19-12-2012, 13:15
Crossed the Bar

Ivor, I think that HMS VICTORIOUS had most of these rather evident outfalls removed during her major refit. If I remember correctly, only four remained, two each side forward and aft. These would not have been outfalls, but rather, permanent gash chutes.

The outfalls were always a feature of early carrier design, rather than routing waste disposal or cooling water outlets, or even guttering............... inboard.

Jim, thanks for the comment. Interchangeable ends certainly has some substance. Thanks also for your observation on the paint job. It really means something coming from "Master Sable".

Robbie and Sandy.
Old 24-12-2012, 16:21
Crossed the Bar

Further progress, mainly from the Southsea subsidiary.

The aft section boat decks and weather decks have been fashioned and are ready to be affixed. This will not take place until the hull is completely finished, eg. antifouling coat applied, boot topping in place, sprayed with final ships side grey and varnished. That way we won't have overspray creeping into Robbie's works of art.

These boat decks and weather decks will be illuminated from their individual deckheads.

Bravo Zulu to the Southsea plant.

Robbie and Sandy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500506.jpg (141.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 24-12-2012, 16:45
Crossed the Bar

Each of the weather deck openings and boat deck aperture peripheries has had the rolled edge applied on the port side. Delicate work, but a satisfying outcome.

Robbie decided that the screens on the sponsons needed to be removed and re-manufactured in order that their decks could be sanded flat, because there were ugly glue deposits around the deck. This was a good idea, meaning that we could re-fettle the whole lot and achieve a satisfactory finish. He also observed that it would be an idea to leave the screens off until we had completed rubbing-down the flight deck, so that the waste deposits would be easier to clear away. That's what I like, forward planning by a septuagenarian.

During the week, the Southsea subsidiary moulded quite a few Oerlikons and, in the images, they are dry-fitted for effect. Not only that, he also manufactured the two catwalks that you see, here dry-fitted for effect.

It was about this point that we discovered that another sponson (Flight Deck Engineer Officer for the use of) was missing, just forward of the triple AA sponson. This will be corrected. Very important omission, considering that, in later flight decks, a "Howdah" served that important function.

Sandy and Robbie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500508.jpg (115.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SV500509.jpg (167.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 24-12-2012, 21:32
Admiral

Well done Sandy , you seem to be making good progress , and it is always a good incentive when you can see the works progressing and things taking shape
Old 28-12-2012, 12:30
Crossed the Bar

We managed to fit the scuttles (portholes) on the forward section on Xmas Eve as well. Got a quantity of real brass eyelets from the shop in which Carol works. Both port and starboard sides are now "scuttled" (if that is not too alarmist a phrase).

The previous scuttles, although plastic and "glazed", protruded too much from the hull line and were vulnerable.

Robbie and Sandy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500511.jpg (176.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SV500512.jpg (126.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 28-12-2012, 12:36
Crossed the Bar

Image showing the difference between old and new boat decks.

The matelot has scarpered from the one at the back, for whatever reasons known only to him.

Can you tell the difference between old and new??

Meantime, Happy and Prosperous New Year to you all guys, and don't forget Missy, you still have more to contribute.

Sandy and Robbie.(da Owner).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SV500513.jpg (111.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 28-12-2012, 12:45
Admiral

Well done Sandy , Man after my own Heart

And the Seasons Best to you and yours [not forgetting Da Owna ]
Old 29-12-2012, 00:14
Vice Commodore

Season's greetings to da Owner and the Sandyman. One trusts that your respective CinC Homes have relinquished the firm grip on your plastic and the refit can progress apace.

The absence of the matelot from the new boat deck is, no doubt, due to his presence elsewhere in ovies, paintbrush in hand and working hard .

BZ to the Fettlers and Bodgitts United

Missy
Old 29-12-2012, 11:24
Admiral

I presume 1944=62 pay and conditions apply, therefore departure of rating mentioned is likely to be the pipe, "Up Spirits" and he's gone for his tot!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 16th January 1939 : HMS Hastings : At Plymouth refitting complete