World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14-04-2014, 14:53
Ordinary Seaman

Thumbs up Re: HMS Troubridge Type 15 Frigate

Wow ......
I Just came across this forum as i served on HMS Troubridge 64 to 67 . Well done thats an amazing model
Old 14-04-2014, 16:44
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Troubridge Type 15 Frigate

Thanks for your very kind comments Alan .

My departed father in law served on her from 1957-1960 along with others on this forum and it was as a tribute to him that I built her ..........sadly there are no kits of this vessel but the information gleaned from others enabled her to be built

He was a RP2 and served on amongst others Victorious and Indefatigable and Barrossa as well .....but sadly crossed the bar a couple of years ago now .
Old 05-07-2014, 16:39
Admiral

What a Day today has been :roll eyes:

I was approached by the chairman of our boat club to exhibit one of my models at a Gala day in Godmanchester today which is on the edge of a river with an automatic sluice, which opens when water gets to a set level

I went along and set my model [ Troubridge ] on the display area provided to the club as one of the attractions .

It was well attended and everything seemed to be going well when it was suggested that the boats be put in the water ,and would I go in and start things off which I did .

The banks were steep and muddy and had it not been for one of the club bringing his waders I would not entertain the idea .

All went well and she strutted her stuff up and down with the asdic pinging and the Destroyer whoop whopping , and the others joined me .

I know you seasoned modellers know where to look for weed banks and to look for clear water so all was going well for about half an hour then this full size pleasure craft came down the middle of the river at about double the prescribed speed of 4knots and causing quite a wash turned in the basin and then disappeared again

We were quick witted enough to get out of the way in time and ended up in the weed beds .

No matter how I tried in ahead or astern the boat was held fast .

Bearing in mind the model had been going for about 3/4 hour by now with the various sounds going full belt through the 6watt amplifier you can appreciate that I was getting more concerned with each passing minute

As luck would have it a young lad saw what happened and brought over his Kayak
and one by one retrieved our models from the thick weed , and once mine was plucked from the water the two prop's looked like candy floss and whilst turning the weed prevented the blades bitting and had it not been the timely appearance of this lad my model would still be there

The Lipo battery held up well under the circumstances and I was half expecting an explosion as the batteries detonated , but my luck held on this occasion ....thanks to the young lad who helped us........ bless him ......next time I won't be so keen to accept the offer of going there .

Ahhh nearly forgot ......the sluice was very kind to us also ........just as well because it it had opened whilst we had no control of our boats there could have been a lot of very expensive flotsam......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (997.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 16:52
Forum Moderator

I bet you were at your wits end Ivor. Never mind, I hope the crowds enjoyed the display.

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 17:05
Admiral

I think there are probably more graphic descriptions Jim but thanks for whose kind words .

When the young lad brought it ashore I gave him some money which he refused to take so I dropped it in the water alongside his boat and he complained very gallantly , but I pointed out that my model probably cost more than his kit so I was glad to get it back ....so he grinned sheepishly and said thanks .....

I remember only to well when I first started model making in the 70's [ then Aircraft and returning home in the early days with a carrier bag full of bits and the lads ribbing me by saying AHHH Ivor plane reverted to kit Form ???] so not to proud to say thanks for a charitable act
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11
Admiral

Having learnt how to fit and redirect the superstructure wiring via plugs/sockets which I believe are referred to as multiplex plugs , I will try to convert the wiring on HMS Troubridge as well which will help a lot when separating the superstructure from the hull ....rather than the "Umbilical chord" set up she was built with .
Old 14-07-2015, 21:41
Admiral

Been trying to tidy up the model and took her down to the lake last week end but unable to take her out following some refurb work on her and repairs to her ESC which needed some attention and the replacement of a couple of cables which were suffering from being removed and replaced to often

So received the ESC back from Action / Component -shop and replaced the cables and was hoping to try out the repairs this week end but Karens Race for Life run is on the same day so duty calls and the basin trials will have to wait for another week end , but think things will be ok

Also gave her a good clean down , silicone greased the prop shafts and refitted them and cleaned up the hull and gave her another coat of satin lacquer

So all being well she will slide through the water like a grey hound again .

ESC ....Electronic Speed Controller...P94 [type 3 setting] using rudder input to reverse one prop and accelerate the other when proportional rudder applied
Old 14-07-2015, 21:58
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Also gave her a good clean down , silicone greased the prop shafts and refitted them and cleaned up the hull and gave her another coat of satin lacquer
Blimey Ivor , Karen should look great for Sunday after all that attention cudn't resist that one

Dave H
Old 15-07-2015, 08:06
Admiral

Hmm best means of escape here is diplomacy ......Karen always been a shinning example ....but now she will run faster and be the best one there
Old 15-07-2015, 08:16
Admiral

Touche *****cat
Old 27-03-2016, 13:44
Admiral

I have been busy tarting up the model built a few years ago now ,[2011] and took her down to the lake today to blow off the cobwebs .

Since she was built new members have joined the club and whilst down there today a new member brought his recently completed model of U 505 down for "Basin Trials "......

Once completed I enjoyed sending her out to "Badger " his model by switching on the sonar sound and chasing him around the lake .....but as one of the members pointed out "What are you going to do if you get a "return" sound .....to which I replied in Naval style ...Sink It .. of course
Old 27-03-2016, 17:06
Admiral

Forgive my lapse of memory ..here is the sub mentioned above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0261.jpg (541.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 17-04-2016, 18:31
Crossed the Bar

Does das Boot actually dive Ivor??

If so, what submerging/surfacing system does she use??

I say this as one Canoe Lake mini-mariner left his propulsion unit securing key in the bows of his S/M (approx six inches) and when he dived the boat at speed, the protruding key lodged firmly in the mud.

Huge embarrassment.

Sandy.
Old 19-04-2016, 06:11
Admiral

Good Morning Sandy , sorry for delay in replying to your post .

No its a surface runner , although some of the lads boots do dive they are few and far between as the water is so black as to obscure the vessel .

He has taken my advice and fitted bigger motors and it now has a fair turn of speed and looks quite good in the water now but it suffers from audible vibration whilst running so he is having another look at it to quite it down .
Old 31-07-2016, 18:13
Admiral

Been running the model on Lipo batteries recently and must say a marked improvement in speed quite apart from the performance but not sure if its the added power or the reduction in weight that is derived .

The run time seems better and I run out of time before steam so to speak

One of my fellow members who likes war canoes has recently built a HMS Manchester which looks like upstaging my poor old Troubridge , but it seems to have a lot of ballasting issues but will keep you updated and if my brain is switched on a photo to assist
Old 31-07-2016, 19:04
Crossed the Bar

Quote:
One of my fellow members who likes war canoes has recently built a HMS Manchester which looks like upstaging my poor old Troubridge , but it seems to have a lot of ballasting issues but will keep you updated and if my brain is switched on a photo to assist
HMS MANCHESTER will NEVER upstage a scratchbuilt Type 15 Ivor, especially as it may be a kit.

Not knocking kits, but your TROUBRIDGE has far more memories for you and Karen than any "modern." (D'ye hear there Chalkey).

MANCHESTER was one of my son's first drafts prior to the Falklands Conflict, as was GLOUCESTER. No doubt she makes for a pretty model.

Sandy.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:35
Admiral

Thanks Sandy .....sorry to leave it so long to reply .

The model is around 1/92 ish and he like us all is adding bits and recently added a few sounds as he to likes the added realism it imparts to the finished model .

As you may have read on another thread Troubridge nearly made it to the water but for a cracked Starboard upper prop case mounting , which I have now repaired and will attempt to finish off soon .
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27
Admiral

Ok , to bring you up to speed , the prop casing supports appear to have been a success , and I have now received the TX back from Spektrum repaired at no charge and the obsolete RX has been replaced by a newer type AR620 with remote satellite extension aerial .

Next stop is to bind the system and check that all is working well then back down the lake to carry out Basin Trials
Old 17-03-2017, 12:02
Admiral

Ok I think thats her up to date now and I had to carry out a bit of fine tuning today as the speed controller for this model which has a system that on applying a little rudder slows down one prop and throws the other into reverse , which is very handy for fast agile models like this but a pain in the A..e when they aren't synced
Fortunately this has a variable resister which can be "Tweeked" to allow you to adjust one motor so that they start and stop in each direction when in forward mode and by applying a little rudder can activate the afore mentioned gizmo and offer varying degrees of turn much like the real thing , although I suspect in real life they "Tank" steerred with the engines individually..

So all being well and if the weather permits its down the lake to cheek it out on Sunday as she is, as far as I can see,... " In all respects Ready for Sea"
Old 19-03-2017, 12:03
Admiral

Well that went very well , and all the time spent made it worth while .

I managed to take a short video of her along with the sounds she makes ........
So if any of you bright sparks know how to put it on the Forum .............and can let me know how to get it onto the Forum ill be pleased to do so
Old 20-03-2017, 14:13
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Well that went very well , and all the time spent made it worth while .

I managed to take a short video of her along with the sounds she makes ........
So if any of you bright sparks know how to put it on the Forum .............and can let me know how to get it onto the Forum ill be pleased to do so
Not possible on the Forum, but you could put it on youtube and post a link to it.

Jim
Old 20-03-2017, 16:33
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Not possible on the Forum, but you could put it on youtube and post a link to it.

Jim
Thank you Jim , I thought there must be a way but couldn't think how , so thanks for that ....
Old 31-07-2017, 18:07
Admiral

Here you go Jim ......hope you like my amateur attempts

https://youtu.be/WMpTQMsgGcc
Old 31-07-2017, 18:19
Admiral

Nice one Ivor. Depth charges next?
Jim
Old 31-07-2017, 19:13
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Here you go Jim ......hope you like my amateur attempts

https://youtu.be/WMpTQMsgGcc
Another good little video Ivor, but Trowbridge?

Jim

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 9th January 1977 : HMS Ambuscade : Sailed Narvik