World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Troubridge Type 15 Frigate

Well done Ivor she is looking like my favourite ship.
Old 01-09-2011, 18:16
Crossed the Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Looks good Ivor, what do you use for whip aerials?, I used to use bristles cut from a yard broom.
Jim
Jim, exactly what I use as well. However, nylon broomheads are slightly better, the 'bristles' from them are really thin, plentiful and pliable too.

Sandy.
Old 01-09-2011, 18:34
Admiral

Thank you Keith for your kind comments I will try not to let you down
Old 01-09-2011, 18:56
Admiral

A Kind hearted member of the Forum who will remain nameless has asked me to do regular postings on the progress of the build .........

Two problems as I see it ,...apart from the time to do this I would float the following thoughts for your consideration and hopefully approval of my actions.

1/ I am believe it or not... quite a shy person.... and not an exhibitionist........ despite my leaning towards humour...its all a self preservation Facade
2/ I lack the confidence in my own abilities to display them in front of my peers whom I Feel......... are better at it than me

I will from time to time show photographs of what is happening if that's OK with you
Old 01-09-2011, 22:29
Forum Moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyerman View Post
Jim, exactly what I use as well. However, nylon broomheads are slightly better, the 'bristles' from them are really thin, plentiful and pliable too.

Sandy.
I had not thought of nylon broomhead strands! Good thought. For my USS Missouri, I used very thin sewing needles of the right thickness and length, clipping off the "thread" end and filing it flat. Also, by a strange twist of fate, my cat, Joey, who sometimes lies on my model table when I'm working (being careful to not disturb anything -- he is a real gentleman) left one perfectly formed white whisker on the table once, which is now one of the Missouri's whip antennas. I'm not sure he's all that impressed.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22
Admiral

Good Grief Don ,

Think my Cat would go ape if I did that ....but great idea non the less
Old 06-09-2011, 14:03
Admiral

Well I have actually managed to spend some time on my Boat Troubridge , so I thought it time for an update ....hope you like my efforts to date
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chalky's boat 1.jpg (1.43 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Chalky's boat 2.jpg (1.41 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Chalkys boat 3.jpg (1.42 MB, 46 views)
Old 20-09-2011, 08:06
Admiral

Hi Gang ,

Just a quick update on progress .

After many hours of deliberation and exploration under the expert guidance of Dave at Action electronics and Ian [ not sure if thats the right spelling ] of Component -shop.co.uk.....
I have purchased a lithium polymer battery [ES1P] 11.1v @5amp/hr rating which weighs a fifth of the SLA 12v battery the ship was built round [ literally ] and a digital balancing charger capable of a recharge turn around of 1hr.
A 10 amp sound amplifier , a noisything sound generator which you can upload all sorts of audio clips on but comes ready loaded with a Parsons turbine engine soundtrack and up to another 10-15 others including sonar, bells,guns etc...etc [Visit Action Electronics website for more info] another set of 12v motors and no end of patch/extention leads to tidy up the wiring issues I had and an Audio alarm to house in the funnel to warn me when the battery is low ...as I hear that the battery becomes unstable if it gets to low .
So cured one problem hopefully , and no doubt opened up a lot of others ....but yet again back to the drawing board to sort out where all this is yet to fit as like all Destroyer / Frigate hulls ....not much room in the greyhound hull built to fast intercept
I'll keep you posted once I get some where worth reporting on

Yes it was outside of my meagre price band ..but I wanted to do justice to Chalky's Memory , and Dear Keith amongst others who have helped and encouraged me on this venture to build a "stand off" scale model of this .....his favourite ship ...................and only my second Model Boat ! ..and my first ever scratch built [ other than the hull of course] so wish me luck .............
Old 20-09-2011, 11:10
Crossed the Bar

It's a grand job you're doing there Ivor.

I'm impressed with your steadfastness in completing the project, despite the earlier setbacks.

Scratchbuilding can be a great challenge in model construction, but the ultimate satisfaction of creating three dimensional results from one dimensional raw materials is just reward. Well done mate.

I hope that your eventual basin trial goes well, you've certainly done your homework.

Regards,

Sandy.
Old 20-09-2011, 19:31
Admiral

Sandy I'm blushing here mate

Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement whilst tackling this build
You think about what's involved and condition your mind for whats coming and soon after you start the enormity of the task sinks in ...and in my case I started to panic as what I saw as a building project quickly turned into a daunting research task ,as well as a building task then when it all went pear shaped mild anger at myself for being so pig headed and over confident of my own ability
Thats where friends come in,.. to look at what is to them, the obvious...... and to you... elusive

Well it would seem that the initial plan Will come to fruition thanks to the friends I spoke to today and I await the receipt of these with renewed vigour and drive

Spent most of the afternoon trying to program "Model Two "into my digital Transmitter and ended up putting it down as I seemed to be going around in circles and getting no where

So checked my blood sugar and switched to something else whilst my brain carried out an autopsy on my stupidity ..

Had another look at the sound generator and it would appear to be able to produce the following
Gas Turbine Engine linked to throttle
4" Gun
20mm Canon
Machine Gun
Torpedo Launch
Klaxon
Destroyer Whoop
General Quarters
Echo locator

Apparently you can buy a CD software kit which can add others to the list as well .........Don't think so " sounds" complicated to me
the Engine runs linked to the throttle forward and reverse and the others are activated by "Blips" on the stick ....so should be interesting
when run through a 16watt Amp eh
Old 21-09-2011, 00:06
Forum Moderator.

Ivor, I find it just absolutely outstanding that this build you are on is dedicated to Chalky, a man I never got to correspond with on the forum but one who was obviously held in the highest esteem by all. I did not know that you were doing this project in his memory; what a fine and gentlemanly thing to do! The very best of luck in finishing this project.

Regards,

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 21-09-2011, 14:47
Admiral

Hi Ivor and Karen,Well done for sticking at it Ivor, your perseverance seems to have payed off. Will you sail it often or just special occasions?.
Regards Jim
ps I think I recognise the pic. in the left background!
Old 21-09-2011, 14:54
Admiral

Brilliant , Ivor. You must be pleased too. Great to see my favourite ship in three dimensions again.
Old 21-09-2011, 16:54
Admiral

Doubtless someone will know............why was TROUBRIDGE converted to Type 15, when all of her sister ships "enjoyed" the lesser conversion to Type 16?
Just one of those, "I wonder why" things the brain picks up.
Old 21-09-2011, 19:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Hi Ivor and Karen,Well done for sticking at it Ivor, your perseverance seems to have payed off. Will you sail it often or just special occasions?.
Regards Jim
ps I think I recognise the pic. in the left background!

Yes You are right Jim it has pride of place in our living room.

She will ...I Hope .....be sailed on a regular basis down at the boat club lake on Sunday mornings at which point I will take some action pictures and post them on the Forum
Old 21-09-2011, 19:27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Brilliant , Ivor. You must be pleased too. Great to see my favourite ship in three dimensions again.

Thank you Keith , it means a lot to me to hear you say that ....

Only wish Chalky could have seen it as well .....but then again he may be finding the the things I have done incorrectly .....and telling me off

So as they say "Ignorance is bliss " eh
Old 21-09-2011, 19:30
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Doubtless someone will know............why was TROUBRIDGE converted to Type 15, when all of her sister ships "enjoyed" the lesser conversion to Type 16?

I'm waiting for our Harry to tell me .... bless him ...if anyone knows he will or know where to dig it out
Old 21-09-2011, 20:03
Crossed the Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Perhaps it may just have been "luck of the draw" Scurs, or maybe that TROUBRIDGE had other committments around the time the conversions were to take place (1949 - 1955).

Also worthy of note were the classes converted, "R" class; "T" class; "U" class; "V" class; "W" class and "Z" class, somehow omitting all of the "S" class.

Also, TROUBRIDGE was leader of the "T" class and may have had "extras" going for her whereas the others in the class were of lesser specification.

Who knows? This is only guesswork from somebody who served on both classes, Type 15 and Type 16.

Sandy.
Old 22-09-2011, 08:27
Admiral

Thank you Sandy...........question coming from he who served on neither! A spell shipkeeping onboard URANIA when she was "7 day reserve" at Guzz (Plymouth) doesn't count!

Ivor apologies for "highjacking" thread - totally irrelevant I know, but as a modeller who never got past plastic construction kit level, I am in awe of the talents displayed by people like Sandy and your good self.
My question was merely one of those random thoughts the brain is apt to pick up (well my brain is, anyhow).
Old 22-09-2011, 15:02
Admiral

No problem Scurs , just glad we had an answer for you , Our Sandy is a veritable mine of information ....usually from the direction of the Engine spaces [ the best source in my book ] but not exclusive to ...............
Old 22-09-2011, 22:20
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
I'm waiting for our Harry to tell me .... bless him ...if anyone knows he will or know where to dig it out
Hey up Ivor,

IMO one must guard against undue haste in matters such as these ... I have been gainfully occupying my available time by searching for the/any Admiralty criteria for the selection of destroyer hulls available for conversion to either type 16 (cheaper/shorter - est 260,00), or full type 15 (more expensive/longer), to no avail I might add.

However, I resorted to reading up on the matter in my copy of Royal Navy Destroyers since 1945 by Leo Marriott, with 24 pages being dedicated to the conversion to types 15 &16. The book advises that 59 hulls were available and would be converted to type 15 (600,000/2years conv refit). In the event mainly due to cost, only 23 hulls were to receive full conversion to type 15(for the RN). My reading continues but as yet no sign of the criteria for selection

However, on page 46 there is a pic of Troubridge F09 taken off stbd side which might be of belated assistance to you in any final adjustments you may wish to make to your model.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 22-09-2011 at 22:43.
Old 23-09-2011, 20:09
Admiral

Thanks Harry knew you were on the case mate .....

Yes please ...can never have to much information on her ...and if dramatically out will have to alter her where possible

Received the items I ordered earlier on in the week and placed them in the model to see if she balanced out all right ......and she is looking very good .........well in the bath anyway ....so will aim to get her done for her maiden voyage next week ...even if not finished
Old 25-09-2011, 13:28
Admiral

Red face Re: HMS Troubridge Type 15 Frigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Hey up Ivor,

IMO one must guard against undue haste in matters such as these ... I have been gainfully occupying my available time by searching for the/any Admiralty criteria for the selection of destroyer hulls available for conversion to either type 16 (cheaper/shorter - est 260,00), or full type 15 (more expensive/longer), to no avail I might add.

However, I resorted to reading up on the matter in my copy of Royal Navy Destroyers since 1945 by Leo Marriott, with 24 pages being dedicated to the conversion to types 15 &16. The book advises that 59 hulls were available and would be converted to type 15 (600,000/2years conv refit). In the event mainly due to cost, only 23 hulls were to receive full conversion to type 15(for the RN). My reading continues but as yet no sign of the criteria for selection

Little h
ITD, further to the above all I can glean is that as early as 1947 all those available destroyer hulls were destined to be reclassified/converted to frigates. 1949 saw a revision (downwards) to the numbers to be reclassified/converted, some had already been sold to foreign navies, whilst others were damaged and the eventual cost of the remainder meant the usual UK compromise of a two type conversion options to the types 16 & 15.

This would be an interim measure whilst the new design type 12 hull forms were built

I can not find the actual criteria used in the selection of hulls actually converted. Bearing in mind that there was a fair number of destroyer classes from which the eventual selection was made, it is surprising that only the oft quoted ".... was selected for conversion to....." is all that I can find.

It is at times like this that my act of 'giving away' all my books obtained throught the then 'Military Book Society' seems like it was too generous an act!!

Perhaps one of our historians on the forum can come to our assistance.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 25-09-2011 at 17:53.
Old 25-09-2011, 17:27
Admiral

Thanks Harry , that just about covers all bases ,I think .....well done
Old 02-10-2011, 15:45
Admiral

Well............................... AT LAST........

Took her down to the lake today after getting up at 0530 to try and get the hull balanced correctly and left for the lake despondent and gloomy as despite my best efforts I could not get her to sit perfectly and as she was known to be a tad unstable was thinking I might be coming home without my model

You may recall in previous posts help offered to correct the problem and all of which was acted upon ...........but at the last hurdle it was not looking good when you consider the strong cross winds on this open piece of water which has turned a few models over

Well help was at hand and two other modellers cam up with another answer ............fit wheel Balancer weights to the back of the bilge keels

Another suggestion was to fit a bar of tinmans solder bar by its edge to the keel .

Well needless to say I opted for the quick fix and stuck three wheel balancing weight to the bilge keels ....not pretty but practical

Anyway judge for yourselves :-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maiden 10.jpg (282.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Maiden 9.jpg (321.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Maiden 8.jpg (321.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Maiden 7.jpg (181.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Maiden 6.jpg (238.9 KB, 25 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 22nd January 1937 : HMS Fitzroy : Arrived Clayhole, The Wash