World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 05-04-2012, 14:38
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Are these still there?

Re Hong Kong Postcard..........at a guess, maybe around 1965? MANXMAN was definitely in FES, outboard of her........maybe a couple of "Darings"?
Astern, appears to be twin funnels of a fairly big ship.......HMNZS ROYALIST?
Last RN Cruiser was BELFAST and I don't think that is her.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:31
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Re Hong Kong Postcard..........at a guess, maybe around 1965? MANXMAN was definitely in FES, outboard of her........maybe a couple of "Darings"?
Well spotted Scurs, it's certainly a Dido class cruiser the only one left by then would I think have been Royalist. Is that an old RFA laying off?
Old 05-04-2012, 19:52
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Hi Scurs
The photo wasn't a postcard but a photo taken by the Ark Royal photographic department. May well have been taken from a helicopter before the Ark entered Hong Kong where we stayed between 27th September 1965 and 12th October 1965.

Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 20:50
Vice-Admiral

Ought to recognise it then Jim.........we (AJAX) were there too, Sept-Oct 65!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05
Vice Commodore

Me too - on the Ark!!

Best regards

T
Old 07-04-2012, 22:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Has anyone a photo of the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong & if the building is still standing what is it used for?
Further to this post and Johnny07's photo's in post #17 here is a photo of the China Fleet Club taken sometime between 1970 and 1972.

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-04-2012 20;13;48.jpg (434.3 KB, 24 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04
Forum Moderator

This aerial photo of the Island was taken c1965/6. There seems to be a group of aeroplanes parked up in the top left corner and I wonder what they are, or are they aeroplanes? Apart from the runway and fuel tanks, there seems little else on the island. Just had a quick look on Wiki and it is now an International Airport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_%28Seenu_Atoll%29

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gan-aerial.jpg (778.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
This aerial photo of the Island was taken c1965/6. There seems to be a group of aeroplanes parked up in the top left corner and I wonder what they are, or are they aeroplanes? Apart from the runway and fuel tanks, there seems little else on the island. Just had a quick look on Wiki and it is now an International Airport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_%28Seenu_Atoll%29

Jim
They look like huts to me, with an access porch or some such in the middle.
Steve
Old 08-04-2012, 14:41
Vice-Admiral

Hi Jim and Steve

They look like solar panel arrays to me, plenty of sun there I would have thought.

Mitch Hinde
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
When I typed China Fleet Club, Tom Collin's & poached eggs came to mind.
the china fleet club, Hong Kong closed long before 1997. a new building was erected on the site called fleet house.

due to harbour reclamation. the site is no longer on the sea front but far inland. I have pics of the old fleet club,
contact me on johnfleming32@hotmail.com s I don't know how to attaché on this site.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53
Recruit

Wink Re: Are these still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkongyan View Post
the china fleet club, Hong Kong closed long before 1997. a new building was erected on the site called fleet house.

due to harbour reclamation. the site is no longer on the sea front but far inland. I have pics of the old fleet club,
contact me on johnfleming32@hotmail.com s I don't know how to attaché on this site.
yours Aye
John
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46
Vice Commodore

Afternoon all. Dug this one out from somewhere.

Derek (Bunts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-08-26 19.16.10.jpg (131.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 13:56
Admiral

Here is a similar shot Derek and a couple of Tamar.

Main gate circa 1949 and across the basin early 60s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img120.jpg (383.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg img121.jpg (94.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg img122.jpg (357.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 14:58
Lieutenant

I believe the basin was filled in years ago and is now covered in
buildings - I cant seem to find it on Google Earth

Geoff
Old 08-10-2013, 15:12
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
A picture of Bugis Street taken in 1971. This shows it as I remember it, an exciting place to go for a meal and a few beers in a foreign environment.
Sorry it's a bit blurred, new camera then.
Steve
Hi All

Table cloths in Bugis StreetHow sanitised it had become.
My memories of the place include an ever overflowing toilet and smally boys conning Jack out of his hard earned beer tokens by playing games of noughts and crosses that you could never win on little magic slates.

Mitch Hinde
Old 13-11-2013, 14:14
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

A bit nearer home-Portsmouth- the old NAAFI club which was situated opposite the WRNS living quarters which I believe is now a museum on the way up to Southsea where in my time,mid fifties, beer was 1/6p a pint, can any one remember the place, don`t suppose it is still there after all this time,any photos around?
Old 13-11-2013, 20:53
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Are These Still There?

I remember the old NAAFI at Pompey and was a nice watering hole on the way from the Gosport Ferry to Billy Mannings fairground at Southsea. All the nice girls love a sailor, and we didn't like to disappoint them
I think Nat King Coles song, Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, was played every other record on the dodgems.

Jim
Old 13-11-2013, 21:02
Rear-Admiral

Cor! Jim , Billy Mannings at Clarence Pier, dated the girl who was in a glass cage with the large snake wrapped around her, left her snake behind on the dates!! Ideal place for Jack to pick up the lasses.
Then up to the Savoy at night to dance the night away,finish up with fish suppers in fish and chip shop near RNB owned by a couple of "queers",if they liked the look of you then you got a whale sized fish.
Old 14-11-2013, 16:57
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
A bit nearer home-Portsmouth- the old NAAFI club which was situated opposite the WRNS living quarters which I believe is now a museum on the way up to Southsea where in my time,mid fifties, beer was 1/6p a pint, can any one remember the place, don`t suppose it is still there after all this time,any photos around?
Ceylon
WRNS Living quarters - Duchess of Kent Barracks. I was kicked out by a Chief WREN one night; one of the girls had invited me in and being a young sprog my hormones were bouncing all over the place. To be fair the chief had given me a prior warning.

John
Old 14-11-2013, 22:39
Rear-Admiral

John , I think the Chief Wren done you a favour, a young "sprog" among all the sex mad Wrens--what a way to die

I took one out to the pub on Clarence pier and she ordered the usual gin, boy, could she put them away,after that night when she rang the ship to arrange another date I told her that I had been given a crash draft and was leaving that night(coward)--my pay was nearly spent on that date---never dated a Wren again.
Old 15-11-2013, 06:28
Vice-Admiral

Dave.............How you fancy the job I had for a while at EXCELLENT whilst Ship's Company - WRNS Block Sweeper! I kid you not, genuine job! Those who made such decisions, deemed that females lacked the physical ability to operate a buffing machine on the floors, so an AB had the job - me!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 4th January 1939 : HMS Intrepid : Arrived Malta

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

The Brethren of the Coast or the Brethren, was a loose coalition of pirates and privateers also known as Buccaneers who operated during the 1600s and 1700s in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico and also in the Atlantic Ocean.  They were a syndicate of pirate captains with letters of marque and reprisal who regulated their privateering enterprises within the community of privateers.
Brethren of the Coast by Chris Collingwood. (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
 Fully dressed and resplendent, HMS Hood is pictured preparing for King George Vs review of the Fleet in July 1935 as other capital ships take up their positions around her. Ramillies can be seen off Hoods port bow, Resolution astern, whilst just beyond her boat deck, the mighty Nelson gently nudges into position.

HMS Hood by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
Nimrod MR2P from 201 squadron based at RAF Kinloss, climbs away under full power during NATO exercises off the west coast of Scotland. The Nimrod has just completed simulated depth charge attacks on the fleet submarine HMS Spartan and is returning to Kinloss for breakfast. Spartan turns and heads for the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on the Gareloch.

Good Morning, Spartan by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £55.00
 Blackbeard the Terrible, otherwise known as Edward Teach, Thatch or Drummond. Circa 1718.

Damnation Seize My Soul by Chris Collingwood. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00

The lead ship of the Royal Navy's Vanguard Class SSBNs, HMS Vanguard (S28) was commissioned on 14th August 1993 and is based at HMNB Clyde at Faslane.

HMS Vanguard in the Gareloch by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00
 The French battleship Richelieu with the Royal Navy cruiser HMS Cumberland, shown during Operation Crimson after bombarding Sabang during July 1944. Grumman Avengers from the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Vengeance shown overhead.

Richelieu and HMS Cumberland 1945 by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 Besstrashniy (meaning Fearless) 434 heavy rocket ASW Destroyer is shown swinging to the port side of Pyotr Velikiy (meaning Peter the Great) a Kirov Class Cruiser as they clear a path for the carrier Minsk.

Arctic Waters by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - £50.00
The nuclear-powered submarine HMS Repulse (S23) manoeuvres in preparation to berth at HMS Dolphin in Portsmouth harbour in the late 1970s.

HMS Dolphin by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Steeplechasers competing for the Blue Riband.

Chasing for Gold by Chris Howells.
Half Price! - £65.00
Matt Le Tissier is quite simply a legend of Southampton Football Club. Since making his debut in 1986, Matt played 462 games for the Saints scoring 209 goals (including 49 penalties out of 50!)

Matt le Tissier by Gary Brandham.
Half Price! - £45.00
B43. Damon Hill/ Williams Renault FW.18 by Ivan Berryman

Damon Hill/ Williams Renault FW.18 by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £40.00
PDB3.  Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £41.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Crew of Lancasters 101 Squadron RAF, stand chatting and drinking cups of tea supplied by the WMCA vans. Delays in Ops for an hour or so allow the crews a chance to light up and have a cup of tea. 101 Squadron based at Ludford Magna were a squadron with a difference, from 1943 the Lancasters were fitted with special radio jamming equipment known as ABC or AirBorne Cigar and carried an eighth crew member known as the special duties operator. Squadron letters were SR and targeted by the Luftwaffe fighters giving 101 Squadron the highest casualty rating in Bomber Command.

Crewing Up by Graeme Lothian. (Y)
Half Price! - £310.00
 In one of the finest portrayals of the Avro Lancaster, Moonlight Run depicts the aircraft of Fl. Lt. Mickey Martin (ED909 AJ-P) at the moment of release of the Wallace Bomb during the Dams raid on the Ruhr in 1943. With only the gentlest of moonlight rippling over the dark water of the Mohne, this dramatic picture plays homage to the impossible low altitudes and high speeds that were necessary to complete successfully their heroic mission. A stark and refreshing treatment of a subject at the hearts of all aviation historians.

Moonlight Run (Dambusters) by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 A trio of Bell Huey UH-1s deliver ARVN Rangers to a drop zone in the central Highlands of Vietnam during 1970. The ubiquitous Huey saw action in an enormous variety of roles, Vietnam being the first true helicopter war, and it will perhaps be remembered by many a grateful GI for its (and its crews) part in many hundreds of daring rescues amid the unyielding and unfamiliar terrain of south east Asia.

DZ 9.00am by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 Joint exercise between a RNLI Lifeboat and a Royal Air Force Westland Wessex from 72 Squadron off the coast of Northern Ireland.

Joint Rescue by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £35.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

German forces encircled in the fortress town of Konigsberg by 3rd Ukranian front prepare to break through the besieging Soviet lines to re-establish a supply line to the Baltic. Here some Stug III assault guns move up to their assembly area next to the towns World War One memorial. From here the attack was launched on February 18th 1945 and successfully opened a supply corridor which remained in place until 8th April.

Counter Attack at Konigsberg by David Pentland. (B)
Half Price! - £60.00
 M3 Lee tanks and troops from General Slims 14th Army clear Japanese resistance form the village of Ywathitgyi in their drive to Mandalay.

Road to Mandalay, Burma, February 1945 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 Sturmgeschutz IIIg and Paratroops of the 4th Fallschirmjager Division, driving to the front line, pass one of the two giant 28cm K5 (Eisenbaum) railway guns responsible for the shelling the Allied beacheads at Anzio and Nettuno.

Anzio Annie, Italy, 29th January 1945 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Wherever the GIs went they took their Jeeps with them, and before the war was run the little quarter-ton, 4-wheel drive, utility vehicle was as well known around the world as the Model T Ford. Nicolas Trudgian has painted a compelling image, set back in time when the little Jeep was omnipresent on and around the roads and battlefields of a war-torn world. It is Christmas 1944 and, as a gaggle of 339th FG P-51 Mustangs disturb the peace of this ancient English village, a little Jeep waits patiently outside the pub while her occupants sample the local ale. A wonderfully nostalgic painting that will bring back pleasant memories to many.
Welcome Respite by Nicolas Trudgian. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00