World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Everything Else > Everything Else
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Serious non naval and non maritime subjects - 'Shore Leave' is for chat.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:20
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: The Potential Consequences of Scottish Independence

New book being written, "How to snatch defeat from jaws of victory", by Theresa May

So now.............Britex may not happen, another Election may be called, Possibility of second Britex Referendum more likely, Possibility of no party able to form a Government.............and a second book by Ms May, "Chaos out of Stability", still..............not all "doom and gloom"!............Scottish voters kicked "Elsie" into touch.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:47
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
I am guessing that the SNP's losses in yesterday's election mean that the chances of Indyref2 are significantly reduced - or do I not understand the situation?
No Tim they have not been significantly reduced.
They have evaporated.

Salmon no more
Robertson no more
Our own county is back in Tory hands. Unbridled joy abounds.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:49
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
They have evaporated.

Salmon no more
Robertson no more
To compound our joy Clegg no more.
Old 09-06-2017, 13:39
Lieutenant-Commander

Yes, a little good has come out of this ridiculous, self imposed election. Ms Sturgeon has been given a smacked bottom and Clegg and Salmond booted out of Parliament. Farron came very close to being just a footnote, too. Incidentally, I saw the other day that an anagram of Tim Farron is minor fart. Made me chuckle. Thank you Scotland and Ms Davidson for rescuing us from the arrogance and stupidity of Saint Theresa.

Peter
Old 09-06-2017, 15:37
Admiral

Quote:
They have evaporated.

Salmon no more
Robertson no more
Thanks Johnny
Old 09-06-2017, 18:06
Forum Moderator

Quote:
They have evaporated.

Salmon no more
Robertson no more
John, your quote could make another verse for the Proclaimers song Letter from America after:

Lochaber no more
Sutherland no more
Lewis no more
Skye no more

Jim
Old 22-06-2017, 22:34
Commodore

Another own goal for the Sturgeon :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...tension-avoid/
Old 27-06-2017, 18:16
Admiral

Well today Elsie's dream and our nightmare is over.
This afternoon she "addressed" the nation to tell us that for this parliament she is going to concentrate on brexit.
This is SNP code for I cant keep talking about it as I will lose more votes and more seats ( 500,000 votes and 21 seats) but I cant abandon the idea as it would negate my reason to exist.
By the natural order of things no party stays in power forever but I think we can forget independence forever.
Old 27-06-2017, 21:03
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
By the natural order of things no party stays in power forever but I think we can forget independence forever.
The flirting with IndyRef2 reminds me of the lines in Scotland's National Anthem -

Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
Old 28-06-2017, 13:42
Vice Commodore

While detesting Farron and his party, and not being much of a christian, if the resignation statement is taken at face value, resigning over his religious principles says at least he has the courage of his convictions, a rare thing in politics today.

What would be said if a Muslim MP was placed under the same pressure.
Old 28-06-2017, 13:46
Vice Commodore

Quote:
To compound our joy Clegg no more.
Now that do agree with, the sanctimonious tw@t.
Old 30-06-2017, 16:45
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
THE SNP’s indifference to Britain’s new state-of-the-art £3.1billion aircraft carrier is “an insult to the thousands of Scots” who built her.

By Ben Borland, Daily Express

A senior executive at Babcock International, the owners of Rosyth dockyard where HMS Queen Elizabeth was assembled, described the giant warship as “one of the greatest ever engineering projects *carried out in Scotland”.
Yet, when the 65,000-tonne warship set sail for the first time on Monday, there was no official recognition from the Government, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon or any of her SNP Ministers. The shipbuilding boss, who asked not to be named, said: “I am disappointed for our workforce that their own Government has ignored this project and dismissed it as an English project being carried out in a Scottish naval yard.”

The executive added: “The project has involved suppliers from across Scotland, has produced hundreds of apprentice and graduate opportunities for Scottish youngsters, has involved several universities in development and technical support activities and has been a landmark project for Scotland watched by countries around the world. “None of this has been recognised by the Scottish Government and that is an insult to the many thousands of Scots who have produced the carriers.” Sources also point out that politicians, admirals and royalty from around the world have been to see HMS Queen Elizabeth and her sister ship, HMS Prince of Wales, being built.

The only high-profile visit by a Scottish minister came when Alex Salmond attended the formal naming ceremony in July 2014 and was booed by workers. And, in stark contrast to the silence from St Andrew’s House, up to one million people are expected to welcome the aircraft carrier when she eventually arrives at her home base in Portsmouth.
Babcock International is a member of the Aircraft Carrier Alliance along with BAE Systems, Thales and the Ministry of Defence, set up in 2005 to build the Royal Navy’s biggest ever warships. The project has supported 4,000 Scottish jobs. Sections of the ship have been built at six UK shipyards, including BAE Systems on the Clyde in Glasgow as well as yards in Portsmouth, Birkenhead, Tyneside and Devon, before being assembled at Rosyth.

Military analyst Stuart Crawford, the SNP’s former defence spokesman, said: “The lack of interest from the SNP Government has got a lot to do with the party’s ambivalence towards all things military. Defence is not in the SNP’s comfort zone and Nicola Sturgeon simply doesn’t get it at all.
“In part because of Ruth Davidson’s championing of the armed forces, it is increasingly seen as a Tory topic and in certain quarters of the party the aircraft carrier signifies everything that is wrong with British imperialist ambition. “Having said that, this was probably an oversight rather than anything malicious but how many of the Rosyth workforce will be voting SNP after that? It was a real vote loser.” Mr Crawford added: “I suspect that if Angus Robertson had still been an MP then the start of sea trials would not have gone unnoticed. He had a genuine interest in defence matters.”

After a question from Scottish Conservative MSP Murdo Fraser at Holyrood yesterday, Ms Sturgeon said: “I commend all those at Rosyth and elsewhere in Scotland who have contributed to the construction of the Queen Elizabeth. I thank them for their efforts and wish them well as they move on to their next assignment, so I have no difficulty, for once, in agreeing with Murdo Fraser.”

Mr Fraser said last night: “It’s very disappointing that it took a direct question in the Scottish Parliament to get any kind of acknowledgement from the First Minister about the importance of this project. “Normally SNP ministers are desperate to associate themselves with engineering projects in Scotland. But when it comes to a major investment for the whole UK, they simply don’t want to know.”
Seems to me that this is par for the course with the SNP. Although they are the Government of Scotland and they are there initially to act in Scotland's interests, they also have a duty to act in the interests of the whole of the UK, as have the SNP MPs in Westminster, which they consistently fail to do.
Old 30-06-2017, 17:45
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
Seems to me that this is par for the course with the SNP. Although they are the Government of Scotland and they are there initially to act in Scotland's interests, they also have a duty to act in the interests of the whole of the UK, as have the SNP MPs in Westminster, which they consistently fail to do.
Probably not just the SNP. It will be interesting to see if Jeremy Corbyn is amongst the welcoming committee when HMS QE arrives in her home port. Although he may be indisposed, rehearsing his speach for the next Glastonbury event

Jim
Old 30-06-2017, 18:15
Admiral

Quote:

............but I think we can forget independence forever.

If Johnny's perception is correct then a potential consequence could be that this thread must be ripe for the proverbial 'padlock'.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Closed Thread

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1979 : HMS Danae : At Plymouth