World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 05-04-2012, 14:38
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Are these still there?

Re Hong Kong Postcard..........at a guess, maybe around 1965? MANXMAN was definitely in FES, outboard of her........maybe a couple of "Darings"?
Astern, appears to be twin funnels of a fairly big ship.......HMNZS ROYALIST?
Last RN Cruiser was BELFAST and I don't think that is her.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:31
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Re Hong Kong Postcard..........at a guess, maybe around 1965? MANXMAN was definitely in FES, outboard of her........maybe a couple of "Darings"?
Well spotted Scurs, it's certainly a Dido class cruiser the only one left by then would I think have been Royalist. Is that an old RFA laying off?
Old 05-04-2012, 19:52
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Hi Scurs
The photo wasn't a postcard but a photo taken by the Ark Royal photographic department. May well have been taken from a helicopter before the Ark entered Hong Kong where we stayed between 27th September 1965 and 12th October 1965.

Jim
Old 05-04-2012, 20:50
Vice-Admiral

Ought to recognise it then Jim.........we (AJAX) were there too, Sept-Oct 65!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05
Vice Commodore

Me too - on the Ark!!

Best regards

T
Old 07-04-2012, 22:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Has anyone a photo of the China Fleet Club in Hong Kong & if the building is still standing what is it used for?
Further to this post and Johnny07's photo's in post #17 here is a photo of the China Fleet Club taken sometime between 1970 and 1972.

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-04-2012 20;13;48.jpg (434.3 KB, 24 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04
Forum Moderator

This aerial photo of the Island was taken c1965/6. There seems to be a group of aeroplanes parked up in the top left corner and I wonder what they are, or are they aeroplanes? Apart from the runway and fuel tanks, there seems little else on the island. Just had a quick look on Wiki and it is now an International Airport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_%28Seenu_Atoll%29

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gan-aerial.jpg (778.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
This aerial photo of the Island was taken c1965/6. There seems to be a group of aeroplanes parked up in the top left corner and I wonder what they are, or are they aeroplanes? Apart from the runway and fuel tanks, there seems little else on the island. Just had a quick look on Wiki and it is now an International Airport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gan_%28Seenu_Atoll%29

Jim
They look like huts to me, with an access porch or some such in the middle.
Steve
Old 08-04-2012, 14:41
Vice-Admiral

Hi Jim and Steve

They look like solar panel arrays to me, plenty of sun there I would have thought.

Mitch Hinde
Old 08-10-2013, 09:49
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
When I typed China Fleet Club, Tom Collin's & poached eggs came to mind.
the china fleet club, Hong Kong closed long before 1997. a new building was erected on the site called fleet house.

due to harbour reclamation. the site is no longer on the sea front but far inland. I have pics of the old fleet club,
contact me on johnfleming32@hotmail.com s I don't know how to attaché on this site.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:53
Recruit

Wink Re: Are these still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongkongyan View Post
the china fleet club, Hong Kong closed long before 1997. a new building was erected on the site called fleet house.

due to harbour reclamation. the site is no longer on the sea front but far inland. I have pics of the old fleet club,
contact me on johnfleming32@hotmail.com s I don't know how to attaché on this site.
yours Aye
John
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46
Vice Commodore

Afternoon all. Dug this one out from somewhere.

Derek (Bunts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-08-26 19.16.10.jpg (131.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 13:56
Admiral

Here is a similar shot Derek and a couple of Tamar.

Main gate circa 1949 and across the basin early 60s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img120.jpg (383.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg img121.jpg (94.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg img122.jpg (357.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-10-2013, 14:58
Lieutenant-Commander

I believe the basin was filled in years ago and is now covered in
buildings - I cant seem to find it on Google Earth

Geoff
Old 08-10-2013, 15:12
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
A picture of Bugis Street taken in 1971. This shows it as I remember it, an exciting place to go for a meal and a few beers in a foreign environment.
Sorry it's a bit blurred, new camera then.
Steve
Hi All

Table cloths in Bugis StreetHow sanitised it had become.
My memories of the place include an ever overflowing toilet and smally boys conning Jack out of his hard earned beer tokens by playing games of noughts and crosses that you could never win on little magic slates.

Mitch Hinde
Old 13-11-2013, 14:14
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

A bit nearer home-Portsmouth- the old NAAFI club which was situated opposite the WRNS living quarters which I believe is now a museum on the way up to Southsea where in my time,mid fifties, beer was 1/6p a pint, can any one remember the place, don`t suppose it is still there after all this time,any photos around?
Old 13-11-2013, 20:53
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Are These Still There?

I remember the old NAAFI at Pompey and was a nice watering hole on the way from the Gosport Ferry to Billy Mannings fairground at Southsea. All the nice girls love a sailor, and we didn't like to disappoint them
I think Nat King Coles song, Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, was played every other record on the dodgems.

Jim
Old 13-11-2013, 21:02
Rear-Admiral

Cor! Jim , Billy Mannings at Clarence Pier, dated the girl who was in a glass cage with the large snake wrapped around her, left her snake behind on the dates!! Ideal place for Jack to pick up the lasses.
Then up to the Savoy at night to dance the night away,finish up with fish suppers in fish and chip shop near RNB owned by a couple of "queers",if they liked the look of you then you got a whale sized fish.
Old 14-11-2013, 16:57
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
A bit nearer home-Portsmouth- the old NAAFI club which was situated opposite the WRNS living quarters which I believe is now a museum on the way up to Southsea where in my time,mid fifties, beer was 1/6p a pint, can any one remember the place, don`t suppose it is still there after all this time,any photos around?
Ceylon
WRNS Living quarters - Duchess of Kent Barracks. I was kicked out by a Chief WREN one night; one of the girls had invited me in and being a young sprog my hormones were bouncing all over the place. To be fair the chief had given me a prior warning.

John
Old 14-11-2013, 22:39
Rear-Admiral

John , I think the Chief Wren done you a favour, a young "sprog" among all the sex mad Wrens--what a way to die

I took one out to the pub on Clarence pier and she ordered the usual gin, boy, could she put them away,after that night when she rang the ship to arrange another date I told her that I had been given a crash draft and was leaving that night(coward)--my pay was nearly spent on that date---never dated a Wren again.
Old 15-11-2013, 06:28
Vice-Admiral

Dave.............How you fancy the job I had for a while at EXCELLENT whilst Ship's Company - WRNS Block Sweeper! I kid you not, genuine job! Those who made such decisions, deemed that females lacked the physical ability to operate a buffing machine on the floors, so an AB had the job - me!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 29th January 1936 : HMS Cockchafer : Sailed Ichang for Hankow

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Type 21 frigate HMS Ambuscade (F172) is shown passing the swing bridge as she enters Taranto Harbour.

HMS Ambuscade by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £500.00
 A splendid little war was how John Hay, ambassador to Britain, described the Spanish-American war of 1898. Though the war was small in scope it was large in consequences; it promoted the regeneration of the American Navy and the emergence of the United States as a major world power. Fought primarily at sea, the war created an American naval legend in its opening encounter between the pacific squadrons of Spain and the United States at Manila Bay on the 1st of May 1898. At sunrise Admiral Dewey, leading the American fleet in his flagship the USS Olympia, had caught the Spanish fleet, under Admiral Patricio Montojo, by surprise - still anchored off Sangley Point at Manila Bay in the Philippine Islands. Defeat for the Spanish was total and heralded the end of a once extensive Spanish empire in the Americas. Montojos flagship, Reina Cristina, is seen here under fire from the Olympia.

The Battle of Manila Bay by Anthony Saunders (Y)
Half Price! - £62.50
 Launched on 3rd November 1986 and commissioned into the Royal Navy on 14th January 1989, HMS Trenchant (S91) was the fifth of the Trafalgar class nuclear powered submarines and was the first Royal Navy vessel to fire the Block IV Tomahawk cruise missile.  In addition to her complement of missiles, she is also equipped with Spearfish torpedoes and some of the most sophisticated data acquisition and underwater detection systems which allow her to monitor surface vessels undetected.

HMS Trenchant by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £750.00
 The mighty Tirpitz demonstrates the effectiveness of her splinter camouflage, surrounded by her net defences at Kaafjord in the Winter of 1943-44.

Tirpitz in Kaafjord by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £40.00

Showing visible signs of her tangle with British cruisers at the Battle of the River Plate, the German pocket battleship Graf Spee slips into the neutral waters of the Montevideo roadstead accompanied by the Uruguayan gunboat Rio Negro for light repairs. (Damage can be seen on the hull and behind the Conning tower ) . This was to be the last haven for the Graf Spee which was later scuttled at the harbour mouth, her commander Kapitan zur See Langsdorff believing a large British fleet to be waiting for attempted escape into the South Atlantic.

Admiral Graf Spee enters Montevideo by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £70.00
 The Dido class cruiser HMS Naiad is pictured together with the cruiser HMS Leander during the encounter with the French Guepard in 1941 whilst they were both engaged in operations against the Vichy-French forces in Syria.

HMS Naiad by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 HMS Intrepid embarks some of her landing craft during the Falklands conflict of 1982.
HMS Intrepid by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 Designed by the great Ernst Heinkel, the diminutive D.1 was an essential stop-gap that provided the Austro-Hungarian pilots with a front line fighter until they were able to re-equip with Albatros scouts in the Summer of 1917. This little aircraft performed well and was generally held in high regard by its pilots, although it did have some shortcomings, namely that forward vision was extremely limited and the Schwarzloses gun was completely concealed in the overwing pod that made it inaccessible in the air. Most unusual of all was its interplane strut arrangement, designed to reduce drag, which gave it the nicknames Starstrutter or Spider. These examples are shown passing above the German cruiser Derfflinger. 

Brandenburg D.1 by Ivan Berryman. (B)
Half Price! - £50.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

This signed art print was produced at the end of 2000 after the Olympics of that year, and has been sold out from the publisher for many years.  We have the last few publishers proofs of this edition available.  This superb art print celebrates the ultimate achievement for any athlete, the winning of an Olympic gold medal.  In the modern era athletes from Great Britain have won 178 gold medals and Gary Keane's montage celebrates some of the highlights from those achievements.  It captures the determination and effort required to win, as well as the euphoria when the realisation that a life long dream has finally become a reality.  This print is not only a tribute to those featured but also to all other competitors and medal winners who have strived to bring glory and honour to Great Britain.  As the Olympic Games enter a new century and a new chapter in history, it is hoped that this reminder of past glories will also help to inspire those competing for gold in the future.  This limited edition print is signed by six gold medal winners : <br>LYNN DAVIES - 1964 TOKYO Men's Long Jump.<br>MARY PETERS - 1972 MUNICH Pentathlon.<br>DALEY THOMPSON - 1980 MOSCOW Decathlon & 1984 LOS ANGELES Decathlon.<br>TESSA SANDERSON - 1984 LOS ANGELES Javelin.<br>SALLY GUNNELL - 1992 BARCELONA 400 metre Hurdles.<br>STEVEN REDGRAVE - 1984 LOS ANGELES Rowing Coxed Fours, 1988 SEOUL Rowing Coxless Pairs, 1992 BARCELONA Rowing Coxless Pairs, 1996 ATLANTA Rowing Coxless Pairs (and since signing this print, also 2000 SYDNEY Rowing Coxless Fours).

British Olympic Legends by Gary Keane
Half Price! - £110.00

Michael Atherton by Keith Fearon.
Half Price! - £70.00
 Three Steps To Heaven pays tribute to one of the greatest strikers to play for Liverpool and in particular, the historic Cup treble in 2001. It contains details of the FA Cup triumph over Arsenal, Worthington Cup win over Birmingham City and the unforgettable 5-4 defeat of Spanish side Alaves to complete the cup treble and bring back the UEFA Cup to Merseyside.

Three Steps to Heaven by Robert Highton. (Y)
Half Price! - £72.00
Steeplechasers competing for the Blue Riband.

Chasing for Gold by Chris Howells.
Half Price! - £65.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Regarded by some in the Air Ministry as a failed fighter, the mighty Hawker Typhoon was unrivalled as a ground attack aircraft, especially in the crucial months immediately prior to – and after – D-Day when squadrons of Typhoons operated in 'cab ranks' to smash the German infrastructure and smooth the passage of the invading allied force.  This aircraft is Mk.1B (MN570) of Wing Commander R E P Brooker of 123 Wing based at Thorney Island.

Sledgehammer by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £90.00
 Lancasters of 61 Squadron head out for the enemy coast during the night of 3rd November 1943. Seen in the lead Lancaster is Flt Lt Bill Reid flying QR-O. After sustaining two heavy attacks by enemy night fighters, killing two crew members and injuring Reid in the head, shoulders and hands. He carried on to the target, dropping accurately his bomb load. Navigating back by Pole Star and Moon, he lost consciousness on occasions due to blood loss. He managed to find his way Shipdharn. Upon landing the undercarriage collapsed but luckily did not catch fire. For his exploits that night he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Lancaster VC by Graeme Lothian. (Y)
Half Price! - £240.00
 Gazelle of Army Air Corps 661 Squadron on a reconnaissance mission for British 7th Armoured Division during Operation Desert Storm.

Desert Gazelle by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £35.00
 10th May 1972. Lt. Curt Dose together with his RIO, LCDR Jim McDevitt line up their F-4J Phantom prior to landing on the USS Constellation following their first successful target CAP of the day. During this mission they claimed a MiG-21F after a ultra-low level supersonic flight over the North Vietnamese airfield of Kep, northeast of Hanoi.
Silver Kite 211 by Philip West. (Y)
Half Price! - £65.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Bastogne, Ardennes, Belgium, 20th December 1944.  Newly arrived 81mm Mortars of 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, fire in support of U.S. Paratroopers defending against German probes to the north of Bastogne.

Fire for Effect by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £70.00
 OT34 Flamethrower tank and men of Col. Krickmans 6th Guards Tank Brigade take part in the Soviet counter attacks of 13th-27th September in defence of the southern factory district of Stalingrad before the final offensive in October.

Motherland, The Battle of Stalingrad, September 1942 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Vielsalm, Belgium, 22nd December 1944.  Men of the 508th PIR, along with the rest of the 82nd Airborne Division were rushed to the Ardennes and deployed in an attempt to halt the onslaught of 6th SS Panzer Army, specifically Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Holding the Line by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £70.00
Lieut. George Cairns of the South Staffordshire Regiment at the Battle of Pagoda Hill, Burma, 13th March 1944, along with the 3rd/6th Gurkha Rifles.
Lieutenant George Cairns VC, at the Battle of Pagoda Hill, Burma 13th March 1944 by David Rowlands (GL)
Half Price! - £280.00