World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Other Shipping & Maritime Topics > Merchant Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merchant Ships Merchant ships, liners and civilian vessels.

Old 09-04-2014, 16:18
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)
Default Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT)

We hear and read many tales of the forces that were involved in the Falklands war ie: RN ships,RAF planes,RFA supply ships and of course the troops but not much is mentioned of the Merchant ships which kept the fleet supplied on their way down south such as the fuel tankers that carried the fuel needed for the planes which was transferred in the Azores plus the food and ammo ships,the ships that were cruise liners converted to hospital ships etc .Shell and Esso tankers even the Tugs to haul damaged ships back to safety all taking part to help in the re- taking of the Falklands, without these the action would never have succeeded, Atlantic Convey was one Merchant Navy ship that fell foul to the missiles of the Argentinian Air Force but was there others who fell to the same fate apart from our RN casualties which we did`nt hear about in the media and was there any awards given to the MN for their part in this?
Old 09-04-2014, 17:01
Admiral

Default Re: Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT)

Hi All

There is a full list of all medals awarded to the Falklands Task Force including several MN and RFA on the Naval History Net British Gallantry Awards part 55.
They are all entitled to the South Atlantic Medal.

Mitch Hinde
Old 10-04-2014, 14:40
Vice Commodore

Please don't forget good old BP, seven STUFT (Ships taken up from trade), more tankers than any other company, and the most ships from any one company I believe.

And where did they send me? Labuan/Brunei Bay.

Phill

Last edited by phill rose : 10-04-2014 at 14:51.
Old 12-04-2014, 15:16
Lieutenant-Commander

I served in Naval Party 1720 onboard the MV ELK (RORO Ferry) - with 3 Commando's ammunition and a few Life Guard's scout vehicles. The Master and SNO both got CBEs, as did all the Captains, CO's and SNO's, but there were no other awards, apart from the massive pay increase the MN crew got! I met one of the Stewards on a ferry trip to France a few years later and was pleased to see he was still proudly wearing his South Atlantic medal ribbon on his jacket.

Gordon
Old 13-04-2014, 02:10
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlead View Post
...The Master and SNO both got CBEs, as did all the Captains, CO's and SNO's, ...
The only Merchant Navy personnel to receive State (non-gallantry) awards were the Masters of Canberra, Norland and Elk (CBEs) and Europic Ferry, Iris, British Wye and Wimpey Seahorse (OBEs); along with a Senior Nursing Sister onboard Canberra (MBE); and two ABs from the tug Irishman, the Chief Steward of Iris and the Chief Cook of Atlantic Causeway who received BEMs.

Five RFA Masters received OBEs (Military), and three Civil Service stores personnel serving in RFAs were awarded BEMs (Civil).

This doesn't seem overly generous considering the 45 STUFT, 22 RFAs and two RMAS ships listed in the Task Force Commander's Despatch, and it's notable that apart from the very few exceptions mentioned, awards were only given to Masters and not to other officers or ratings.

There were also of course a number of gallantry awards: one DSC, one QGM, two Mentions-in-Dispatches and a Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct were awarded to MN personnel; the RFA total was two DSOs, three DSCs, two GMs, two QGMs, one Mention-in-Dispatches and one Queen's Commendation for Brave Conduct.

Ted
Old 13-04-2014, 14:30
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlead View Post
I served in Naval Party 1720 onboard the MV ELK (RORO Ferry) - with 3 Commando's ammunition and a few Life Guard's scout vehicles. The Master and SNO both got CBEs, as did all the Captains, CO's and SNO's, but there were no other awards, apart from the massive pay increase the MN crew got! I met one of the Stewards on a ferry trip to France a few years later and was pleased to see he was still proudly wearing his South Atlantic medal ribbon on his jacket.

Gordon
The MN agreement at that time was for a bonus to be paid on entering a declared war zone, we could also to decline to serve in said war zone, if we did decline to serve, the shipowner would have to remove us from the vessel, likely not going to do the world of good to your career prospects.

I did a couple trips up the gulf, in the war zone, during the Iraq/Iran nastiness, when I might add there were not many RN ships to be seen.

Loading 250,000t of crude oil at Kharg Island, with storage tanks ashore still smouldering and AA(manned by Iranians!!) guns on the cargo jetty was a little buttock clenching, along with sailing into the zone with cargo of 25,000t of AVGAS and motor spirit.

But hey we were only civi's
Old 17-10-2017, 16:13
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Armed Merchant Cruisers

I note a couple of references to STUFT - Ships Taken Up From Trade?
I was the Falklands Task Force Commander's STUFT Liaison Officer and the one and only boarding officer too! Happy to help with any queries re the Merchant Ships we requisitioned and chartered back in 1982.
Old 21-10-2017, 22:04
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mariner View Post
I was the Falklands Task Force Commander's STUFT Liaison Officer and the one and only boarding officer too! Happy to help with any queries re the Merchant Ships we requisitioned and chartered back in 1982.
I’ve sent you a private message.

Ted
Old 22-10-2017, 12:57
Able Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mariner View Post
Some of the merchant ships delivered small harbour craft and tenders and others landing craft. Do you have records when and on which ships these vessels came and went back to the UK. Cheers Tony
Old 22-10-2017, 21:00
Forum Moderator

Last three posts moved to this thread.

Jim
Old 23-10-2017, 20:12
Admiral

quite a while back, 25th anniversary of the Falklands I had the idea to commission a piece of music to commemorate the event. I had been invited to the IWM gathering at which Lady Thatcher was in attendance. By chance I ended up having a private lunch with her, Lord "Dwin" Bramall and his wife and Midge Fieldhouse (it was after "Fieldmouse" had crossed the bar).
One of my clients had sponsored a scholarship programme at Trininty College of Music who occupied (still do) King Charles Court at Greenwich where my parents had lived during the conflict, so I asked their composition students to compose 8 pieces of music to illustrate the conflict, all were not even born when it happened. They did a splendid job which we premiered the following December in the Chapel at Greenwich with an audience of about 300++ veterans and families as well as a good contingent of Ghurkas who also provided a ceremonial piper to pipe everyone into the performance. We then had a reception in the Painted Hall. All of this was sponsored by STENA LINE whose heavy repair ships were STUFT and did a magnificent job of patching up the RN ships and keeping them in fighting trim. John Hamilton did a superb painting of one of these which with permission from the family I used as a posted. The sponsorship was direct from the family controlling Stena and I cannot thanks them enough for their support. Without sponsors so many of these events, commemorations would just never happen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FALKLANDS POSTER.jpg (840.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf FALKLANDS PROG.pdf (410.3 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Falklands Requiem Invitation 2008.doc (391.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 23-10-2017, 20:17
Admiral

as a footnote to this, specially for Karen and Ivor, please note that my right hand in this, as he was in so many things, was none other that the stalwart Chalky White, "There's nothing a British boy can's do"....

I will try to recombine the programme into a single PDF, I didn't have the superior edition of Adobe in those days, and if anyone is desperately interested I can try to copy the music from the CD I have somewhere.

tim

Again, three hearty cheers from Stena, didn't just give up their ships, they remembered it all 25 years on and covered the costs of collective memory
Old 23-10-2017, 20:35
Admiral

bit between teeth now; STUFT and sponsorship. When we did the Last Witness project that culminated in the Russians replacing both masts of HMS Belfast I made the film I think all of you interested have already seen (PM to me if not)
I wanted to show it in the ship itself but the gangway connecting ship to shore collapsed while under repair so we couldn't. I decided to take it to Moscow instead which was only fair as these were the people who covered all of the costs.
We held the premiere in the auditorium of the British Embassy at the very kind and dare I say trusting permission of the Ambassador Sir Tim Barrow (The one with the beard now seen on the news as our Ambassador to the EU). He had only been in Moscow a week when he let me in. At the same time BP was in close negotiation with Russia for oil business and very very generously agreed to sponsor the excellent reception we had including a huge block of ice with the image of HMS Belfast inside. To reflect our thanks to BP I made a special item of "bonus material" on the DVD called "The Tanker War" with a dedication to the hundreds, yes hundreds of BP mariners who lost their lives manning BPs extensive tanker fleet taken up for War service, half of which were lost to enemy action. Although all ships were under the Govt administration all of the BP ships, all their names began with "British....." remained crewed by BP employees.

I will try to copy that bit of the bonus stuff to the forum as a link.

Anyway, as with all merchant mariners, they deserve all the recognition and appreciation we can give them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Judge.jpg (113.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 27-10-2017, 21:46
Able Seaman

I was part of NP 1810 who were on the Stena Seaspread repairing those poor vessels that were damaged. The spirit of the ships companies spurred us on, at times some of us worked 30 hrs non stop. Some were flown into join other vessels as advance party in the war zone. We put to use skills we thought we had forgotten. At the end some of our teams were flown home while I remained onboard to sail the long voyage back. I was nearly left at South Georgia at the BAS Station, I had been helo’d in to join M Company Royal Marines there to see what aid we could give them, the rest were salvaging sheet metal from the whaling station when the vessel was told to sail for the TRALA. One of my fellow greenies piped up “ what about our Jan” Endurance’s hello had to come and get me. The Seaspreads crew were amazing with the manoeuvres they could achieve with the vessel and the crane drivers were amazing transferring goods between ships, I take my hat of to their professional abilities.

John
St Vincent 92-63, Collingwood 63-64, HMS Lion 65, HMS Tyne (as Orion), HMS Aisne 66-68, Collingwood 69, HMS Ark Royal 69-72, Collingwood72-74, HMS Mohawk74-76, HMS Bulwark 77, Collingwood 78, HMS Blake 79, Collingwood 80, HMS Bulwark 81, HMS Excellent 81-82, Pompey FMG 81-83 (inc NP1810 Stena Seaspread 82), HMS Andromeda 83-84, Sultan 84-87. JEM, EM, LOEM, POOEL, OEMech, MEMN(L), CMEMN(L), CCMEA(L), WOMEA(L)
Old 30-10-2017, 06:03
Admiral

great to hear from you John, especially as you are forever connected to the Seaspread as in John Hamilton's painting. Congratulations on all you did to keep our ships in the front line.
Tim

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 26th January 1937 : HMS Dragon : Arrived Salem Mass.