World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 12-02-2018, 17:23
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Communications in the Royal Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
David, you have already featured these in #2359 & #2363

Little h
Ah but the first two - 2354 and 2363 - were black and white. Now you have glorious colour Harry!
By the way 2359 was one of Jan's.
Now how about this? Dipping comes to mind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89Q.jpg (79.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-02-2018, 19:37
Admiral

Default Re: Communications in the Royal Navy

Hi David ,

Is that not an 87M ?

Dave H
Old 12-02-2018, 19:49
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Ah but the first two - 2354 and 2363 - were black and white. Now you have glorious colour Harry!
By the way 2359 was one of Jan's.
Yes David should've been #2354 - my bad - failure to proof read before transmitting.

I've nearly finished doing a short voluntary refresher during the 'last dog'

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 12-02-2018 at 20:22.
Old 12-02-2018, 20:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Hi David ,

Is that not an 87M ?

Dave H
With respect Chief Tel. - might I suggest the Transmitter Type 89M or 89P.

It might even be an 89Q, although I'm not sure if the difference could be established by the outward appearance of the 'Q' compared with the 'M' or 'P' versions

Little h

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 12-02-2018 at 22:15.
Old 12-02-2018, 22:20
Admiral

Hi All

I think one of the differences between the 89P and Q was the P was coil controlled and the Q was crystal controlled. Maybe wrong, mists of time and all that.

Mitch Hinde
Old 12-02-2018, 22:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi All

I think one of the differences between the 89P and Q was the P was coil controlled and the Q was crystal controlled. Maybe wrong, mists of time and all that.

Mitch Hinde
Mitch,

HMS Collingwood Historic Collection (CHC) (formerly the rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk site) is a bit more lucid about the difference than that contained in the BR333.1 'thricer'. The CHC entry reads as follows:-

Types 89M and 89P are essentially the same electrically.
In the 89Q, in place of the External Crystal Multiplier and Variable Frequency Unit, a Master Oscillator Unit and a Crystal Oscillator Unit have been incorporated. Either of these may be plugged in depending on which type of control, crystal or variable frequency oscillator is required. Type 89Q has an additional intermediate stage.

----------------------------------

I am not aware what (if any) external appearance changes the incorporation of 'a Master Oscillator Unit and a Crystal Oscillator Unit' would make

Little h

Old 12-02-2018, 23:23
Admiral

Quote:
Mitch,

HMS Collingwood Historic Collection (CHC) (formerly the rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk site) is a bit more lucid about the difference than that contained in the BR333.1 'thricer'. The CHC entry reads as follows:-

Types 89M and 89P are essentially the same electrically.
In the 89Q, in place of the External Crystal Multiplier and Variable Frequency Unit, a Master Oscillator Unit and a Crystal Oscillator Unit have been incorporated. Either of these may be plugged in depending on which type of control, crystal or variable frequency oscillator is required. Type 89Q has an additional intermediate stage.

----------------------------------

I am not aware what (if any) external appearance changes the incorporation of 'a Master Oscillator Unit and a Crystal Oscillator Unit' would make

Little h
Only remember using the Q with crystals but cannot remember its appearance. We had to 'detune' sometimes because it belted out too much juice and annoyed nearby ships.
However, even I remember this one and applying bluebell via cotton waste to its AE.
There used to be some D/F stations down the western Portuges coast. Handy for the Pilot when he could'nt shoot the sun. The skipper reckoned a pair of those bearings were more accurate than the sextant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM12.jpg (34.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg FM12 AE.jpg (89.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 13-02-2018, 14:52
Admiral

TDC

But I need a minimum of 10 letters so take a gander down memory lane:

http://www.godfreydykes.info/JUST_A_...R_THINGS .htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDC.jpg (121.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 13-02-2018, 16:35
Admiral

Quote:
With respect Chief Tel. - might I suggest the Transmitter Type 89M or 89P.

It might even be an 89Q, although I'm not sure if the difference could be established by the outward appearance of the 'Q' compared with the 'M' or 'P' versions

Little h
You certainly may oh Super Golly . Them sands of time sure shift ........ why ever did I think 87M ......... 89 series is more like ..... we had two 87's and one 89Q on Chevron in '55.

David now throws the FM12 into the pot ...... happy memories of that one on Undine in '54 chasing beacons and listening to Five Ton ..... Stavangar, Bushmills and one other spring to mind .....counting the beeps until they reached a continuous note and sending them relaying them up to the Navvy ..... seemed a bit arry tait at the time but as someone else has said extremely accurate position fixing. Anyone remember the other Northerly beacon. ? Not so happy tho' climbing out over the open bridge to clean the Bellini Tosi in bad weather which the Old Man always insisted on before entering harbour. But then what else were Boy Tels for

Dave H
Old 13-02-2018, 17:09
Admiral

Quote:
You certainly may oh Super Golly . Them sands of time sure shift ........ why ever did I think 87M ......... 89 series is more like ..... we had two 87's and one 89Q on Chevron in '55.

David now throws the FM12 into the pot ...... happy memories of that one on Undine in '54 chasing beacons and listening to Five Ton ..... Stavangar, Bushmills and one other spring to mind .....counting the beeps until they reached a continuous note and sending them relaying them up to the Navvy ..... seemed a bit arry tait at the time but as someone else has said extremely accurate position fixing. Anyone remember the other Northerly beacon. ? Not so happy tho' climbing out over the open bridge to clean the Bellini Tosi in bad weather which the Old Man always insisted on before entering harbour. But then what else were Boy Tels for

Dave H
Hows about the dit re reciprocal bearings Dave? Still can't remember it all only "bearing on the other ... lies"
Old 13-02-2018, 22:33
Rear-Admiral

FM12 used to sit on an out of the way shelf on 5 Ton and as a boy sparker I was tasked to sit in front of it and cover the silent periods.
Old 14-02-2018, 11:10
Admiral

Quote:
Hows about the dit re reciprocal bearings Dave? Still can't remember it all only "bearing on the other ... lies"
I can't David but I would bet my tot that our Harry can ...... if he can't try Godfrey [Geoff] Dykes site.

Jan ... You and me both , never ever heard a distress on there thank the lord.

Dave H
Old 14-02-2018, 15:49
Admiral

B40

See: http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/boats/murphy3.htm
And - http://www.shortwaveradio.ch/radio-e/murphy-b40-c-e.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B40.jpg (69.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-02-2018, 20:08
Admiral

Quote:
I can't David but I would bet my tot that our Harry can ......
Sorry to disappoint Chief Tel. .... good job the tot is no longer eh!! Still - you might want to offer a splash from your daily spirit allowance

All that my memory will allow to filter through to the grey matter is ... searching for a/the 'null'... however all is not lost and with the assistance of Jerry Proc's pages once again, I offer up the procedure in the hope that it might jog David/Pelican/Mousey into giving a recitation of his 'dit':-

The FM12 was a very good direction finding set for its day. In taking a bearing, the use of the multi-purpose switch was very important.
An operator would first tune in the signal of the target station with the Aerial switch in the search position.
Then, with the switch in loops, a minimum strength on the outside compass scale of the goniometer was found.
Lastly, the operator would place the Aerial switch in the sense position and would rotate the goniometer slowly clockwise.

If the signal faded away, the minimum position was the true bearing. Had the signal risen, it indicated a reciprocal bearing and true bearing would be found 180 degrees on the opposite side of the scale.

Source; JProc

Little h

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 14-02-2018 at 20:23.
Old 14-02-2018, 22:25
Admiral

Quote:
Only remember using the Q with crystals but cannot remember its appearance. We had to 'detune' sometimes because it belted out too much juice and annoyed nearby ships.
However, even I remember this one and applying bluebell via cotton waste to its AE.
There used to be some D/F stations down the western Portuges coast. Handy for the Pilot when he could'nt shoot the sun. The skipper reckoned a pair of those bearings were more accurate than the sextant.
Hi All

I well remember polishing those loops a few times, protect from the elements by smearing with Vaseline on completion.

Mitch Hinde
Old 14-02-2018, 22:26
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint Chief Tel. .... good job the tot is no longer eh!! Still - you might want to offer a splash from your daily spirit allowance

All that my memory will allow to filter through to the grey matter is ... searching for a/the 'null'... however all is not lost and with the assistance of Jerry Proc's pages once again, I offer up the procedure in the hope that it might jog David/Pelican/Mousey into giving a recitation of his 'dit':-

The FM12 was a very good direction finding set for its day. In taking a bearing, the use of the multi-purpose switch was very important.
An operator would first tune in the signal of the target station with the Aerial switch in the search position.
Then, with the switch in loops, a minimum strength on the outside compass scale of the goniometer was found.
Lastly, the operator would place the Aerial switch in the sense position and would rotate the goniometer slowly clockwise.

If the signal faded away, the minimum position was the true bearing. Had the signal risen, it indicated a reciprocal bearing and true bearing would be found 180 degrees on the opposite side of the scale.

Source; JProc

Little h
Yes the underlined statement is what the dit was based on Harry - I'm working on it.
It went a bit like this: If to clockward rise, ship on the other bearing lies, - but we were taught a different word to clockward ~~~ e.g. If to ??? signal rise ship on other bearing lies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HUFF DUFF.jpg (54.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 14-02-2018 at 23:04.
Old 15-02-2018, 20:05
Admiral

UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A TYPE 12?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TYPE 12.jpg (91.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 15-02-2018 at 20:06. Reason: Correction
Old 16-02-2018, 13:04
Admiral

Quote:
And a Type 28.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TYPE 28.jpg (37.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 16-02-2018, 21:10
Rear-Admiral

I always found typing on the type 28 unnerving as they printed eight spaces behind the letter I typed.
Old 17-02-2018, 13:55
Admiral

Hi All

Same here, I always remember 2cr 1line feed. Tried to do it when I first started using a computer and couldn't understand why it didn't work.

Mitch Hinde
Old 17-02-2018, 16:56
Admiral

AN "INTERMEDIATE SIGNALLING LANTERN"

Just so the Buntings don't feel left out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUNTINGS.jpg (68.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-02-2018, 21:40
Vice-Admiral

Quote:

I had to strip and rebuild one of these on my REMs course back in the 50s.

After rebuilding had half-a-dozen bits left over and went to sweep them into the drawer beneath the bench. It was topped up with tens of leftovers!

Made me feel better. Strange thing was the damned thing worked without the bits I coudn`t refit.

Regards

Gerry
Old 18-02-2018, 15:36
Admiral

DIMPS

Evidently not very popular?
Having never seen or heard of it I would not know.
Seems dimps belongs to the gamers now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIMPS.jpg (85.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 19-02-2018, 18:00
Admiral

TODAYS OFFERING

'Plugging system.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PLUGGING SYSTEM.jpg (83.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 19-02-2018, 20:21
Vice-Admiral

I remember this system being sited inside the door of the Upper and Lower receiving rooms on the Lion and nearly identical on Dido years later.

Strangely I cannot recall anyone changing the plugs over or interfering with them in anyway. Seems that once the sparkers set them up they remained in that position for posterity!!!

Regards

Gerry

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1905 : HMS C2 : Laid down