World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2018, 12:07
Admiral

Default Re: Naval Tug ??

Hook it up Mum's buggy then you has no lifting to do . One lady each side and in the water it goes.

Now I standby for incoming
Old 01-01-2018, 12:55
Admiral

Well I past your suggestion on to the ladies Dave , and I'm told that when the plaster sets I'll be allowed to leave A+E
Old 01-01-2018, 16:27
Admiral

That'll learn yer to tittletattle

Good luck with the barrer.

Dave H
Old 03-01-2018, 11:56
Admiral

Thanks Dave , its quite ingenious as it folds up lengthways and folds down into a quite small unit that can be stored in either the boot or backseat

Very efficient service [needless to say German efficiency but no blue badge on it]
remains to see how well it copes but looks sturdy enough and all steel construction with nylon type fitted bag fitted with velcro /loped corners ....so quite optimistic , as I said the one I saw was carrying children in [although they specifically warn not to be used as such .
Old 19-01-2018, 21:19
Admiral

Been working on the Tug recently , and decided to Install a helpful tool to assist me by displaying the state of the batteries and a visual display of both the current voltage left and displaying the amps being drawn at the same time .

This is both light weight and small and can help me decide what to be running at the time of operation and if I have enough in reserve to rescue a model in distress or wether to remain at the edge and sympathise

Have also installed a very cheap item that helps me tweak both the speed the Kort nozzles react when rudder is applied , and their travel in either direction which aids maintaining a true direction / pilotage whilst underway as each can be separately adjusted to suit

Its called a "servo morph" and is fitted inline between the rudder servo and the receiver

I have never fitted one before but that should be easy enough to install .

I have revised the way in which my Sealed Lead Acid batteries are charged and now use my "Smart" balanced charger for Lipo's only as I have found the batteries were at variance to the anticipated charge as the Auto charger, whilst doing a good as a balanced charger, being a smart charger was not trickle charging once its charge time had been reached .

The SLA charger will do a rapid charge and once completed maintain a trickle charge until turned off ., and trials have shown the lakeside charge to be both uniform and higher than hitherto shown .

So all being well the new chargers will deliver a fuller charge and help extend the life of the two 14 Amp hour SLA batteries
Old 20-01-2018, 16:05
Forum Moderator

All helpful devices to let you determine the salvage rates

Jim
Old 20-01-2018, 17:25
Admiral

Well if the amounts obtained elsewhere on the Forum are anything to go by its hardly worth the effort eh Jim .

You know I only do it for the pleasure Jim , mind you since we bought our new car last year there don't seem to have been so many calls for help

Must admit the fitting of the meter had me scratching my head a bit as I seemed to have a spare wire left over .....but sussed it out eventually ..........now if I can just alter the weather a tad I'll be able to try it all out and judge the investment made but it looks as though I'll have to wait till next Sunday as there talking about snow , High winds , and no Rum so may wait a bit
Old 24-01-2018, 17:50
Admiral

Well the works recently completed Seemed to have proven their worth

The twin Motors fitted are 550 ,12 pole ,12volt brushed Motors which draw 1.49 amps each and run at 5300 rmp each and were designed specifically for Tugs and deliver 229g/cm torque at low revs [ or so i'm advised]

Apart from bedding them in they have probably run for about 35 hours to date.

I had noticed when the model was taken out of the water that the motor casing's were quite hot and decided to look into it further .....hence the "amp's drawn" meter

After fitting the meter I was horrified to see that they were drawing nearly 8amps when run at full throttle and alarm bells started to run and I wondered if the run time figures I was being quoted were factual or ambitious forecasts

So having some time on my hands I decided to strip out the prop shafts and see if there were any signs of binding on the shafts or heat marks ...neither of which were evident .

Fortunately when I fitted the Kort Drive nozzles and shafts I also fitted the recommended "Kort Eaze " extensions to the pro-shafts to allow me some room at the nozzle end of the shafts

Having stripped out the shafts I noticed that the starboard side engine mount which had been bonded to the engine room deck floor.. via fibre glass resin was lose , so removed it, cleaned it up and roughened the faces and refitted it using high strength superglue / and activator , and fitted slightly longer screws through the oak mtg blocks and left it to cure overnight,.and fitted longer screws to the port side for insurance sake

I then cleaned the internal faces of both the shafts with a draw through ....much like we used to do in the Army Cadets many years ago ..... and satisfied that all was sound, oiled the shafts with engine oil and replaced them both .

They had previously been lightly coated with a proprietary silicone marine grease which they claimed lowered friction and ensured the longevity of the prop shafts

Well I suppose I shouldn't be to hard on them as if the shafts aren't used due to the motors burning out the shafts would last indefinitely

Needless to say the newly re-fitted starboard side engine mounting was not exactly the same placing which necessitated making a 2mm packer plate to rectify the discrepancy in the coupling point of the universal drive shaft , and a few hours extra alignment problems with minuscule grub screws in very confined areas , laced with copious obscene comments about the designers parentage but eventually we got there and all was aligned and smooth running .

Whilst in this state of disarray I replaced the many tie wraps used to form the wiring harness and used new cable tidy which wraps around the cables and makes for a neater appearance [ though God help anyone who did not know the run length of the wiring looms fashioned ] and one finished had a quick tidy up and being satisfied all was well turned my attention to cooling down the engine room area generally which by its design does not lend itself to a good airflow .

Whilst rummaging through my "cast aside box" [ kept for future use ] I came across a cooling fan , much like the type used a lot in laptops , and on checking the voltage and extended the wiring as required..... installed it in the back of the baffle board used for the speaker in the sound system , and then into one of the battery feed cable sets on the rear most battery so that once switched on the fan should clear the engine space of heat build up ........well thats the plan anyway .

So having charged the main batteries and cleared all my accumulated rubbish back to their respective homes , it was time to see if all my hard work and cussing had paid any dividend's ....low and behold the total amp's drawn with both the motors running flat out , all the lights on , and the sound system blasting the eardrums it managed to reach 3.65 amps .....which made it all worth while and ...more to the point .....at no extra cost ...other than bits I already had and the new dual meter which cost 6.50 ......so a result at a bearable cost

So all being well and the weather being reasonable ....and remembering to double check that the Prop shaft lock nuts are up close and personal on both Props , should witness a marked improvement to her handling / duration and performance next Sunday
Old 24-01-2018, 20:09
Forum Moderator

Well done Ivor, thrift at its best. No doubt the engine room crew will be fighting each other as usual to stand under the fan

Jim
Old 24-01-2018, 22:57
Admiral

Thanks Jim , but I can assure you my visits to a Rabbi have been few and far between ......

Like you I suspect ...when things don't present themselves the way they are anticipated ......I start wondering what motivated them .....then How much will it cost to rectify it......as was the case here .

Still "The proof is in the pudding " so we will have to see what happens when put it to the acid test ..........practical trials no less .....so watch this space... but thanks for looking in
Old 25-01-2018, 16:01
Forum Moderator

Good luck with the fix under load conditions Ivor.

Jim
Old 27-01-2018, 20:40
Admiral

Thanks Jim , been a busy week but all is looking hopeful for tomorrow's basin trials

Double checked everything this afternoon so anything defective is down to me ......says he with fingers crossed , but I will try to remember to take my iPad with me to take a couple of pictures to illustrate the results [ gulp ]

Finally got around to dabbing lock tight on the end of the prop shaft threads to ensure I don't lose my very expensive Bronze props or I will be back in A+E when dear Karen finds out

After tacking advice the batteries have been charged on a "non- smart" charger
and allowed to trickle charge all day [ which seems to be working well ] and the charge is creeping up .....currently stands at 13.65 ....so if I can get up to the cycle voltage I will be happy
Old 28-01-2018, 13:11
Admiral

Well delighted to report that all went well today and dare I say excelled all expectations in both power and battery longevity

The meter installed to indicate current usage and residual voltage was brilliant and had the fellow members enthralled , however I doubt if many will be fitted as display items ..being purest they won't want them " on show " unlike me .

Mine are fitted in the rear section of the Bridge inside , which would be on display normally , even so they can't be viewed at a distant point despite the different colours of Amps / volts in the display .

Having satisfied myself with the result I then had to dash across the lake and rescue a submarine that drive shafts had sheared ....always a problem as when you tow a line out and ensnare the coning tower you need to be careful otherwise you can capsize the vessel .....but we managed to get it ashore .....so all in all a good trip .
Old 28-01-2018, 20:39
Forum Moderator

Well done Ivor, pleased all went well and another salvage fee earned

Jim
Old 29-01-2018, 16:36
Admiral

Well done Ivor. She must be getting about as 'technical' as her full sized sisters. Can't remember what site it was, but I was looking a a 'Voight Schnyder?' Unit the other day. Bit expensive though.
Jim
Old 29-01-2018, 23:28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post

Having satisfied myself with the result I then had to dash across the lake and rescue a submarine that drive shafts had sheared ....always a problem as when you tow a line out and ensnare the coning tower you need to be careful otherwise you can capsize the vessel .....but we managed to get it ashore .....so all in all a good trip .
Congratulations on your latest salvage op Ivor - you must be the most popular guy on the lake!
Old 30-01-2018, 10:20
Admiral

Morning Tim , thanks for looking in , as for popularity ....only when their in trouble then its all hands to the wheel and a full blown autopsy as to how every body else would have done it differently , but when your out there pitting your wits against the weather and the victim and everyone else is charging around in their models knowing that your towing a semi submerged line which will ensnare THEIR props you can get a tad distracted and indeed a tad crusty

You would have thought they would stop whilst the model is recovered but not all blessed with common sense it would seem .......after all the Tug is big enough plying her passage .....its not as if its a tiny thing

Still off my hobby horse now .....did you enjoy your "bonding" secession with the Grizzlies ?
Old 01-02-2018, 20:16
Admiral

Quote:
Morning Tim , thanks for looking in , as for popularity ....only when their in trouble then its all hands to the wheel and a full blown autopsy as to how every body else would have done it differently , but when your out there pitting your wits against the weather and the victim and everyone else is charging around in their models knowing that your towing a semi submerged line which will ensnare THEIR props you can get a tad distracted and indeed a tad crusty

You would have thought they would stop whilst the model is recovered but not all blessed with common sense it would seem .......after all the Tug is big enough plying her passage .....its not as if its a tiny thing

Still off my hobby horse now .....did you enjoy your "bonding" secession with the Grizzlies ?
Sorry Ivor - you've lost me there?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:32
Admiral

Sorry Tim..... was referring to your holidays in the forests with your sons whilst away recently
Old 02-02-2018, 19:22
Admiral

Quote:

Sorry Tim..... was referring to your holidays in the forests with your sons whilst away recently
Got it Ivor!

No grizzlies in that neck of the woods ... just black bears ... and unlike my son and I, they had the common sense to be hibernating, not running around in the minus 25 degree temperatures like us stupid humans!
Old 02-02-2018, 19:27
Admiral

No problem sorry for the confusion created , like you I flit between threads and thought you would have picked up on that .....but glad your back safe and sound ......minus the Black Bears of course ...
Old 06-02-2018, 12:57
Admiral

Have you read "WAR and Peace " if not then don't bother

This thread is getting very much like it ....or there again the NAVY LARKS

Whilst moving the TUG out of the Shed used to berth it I misplaced my footing and bumped one of the bilge keels along the door frame which dislodged it

On the brighter side I have everything I need to repair it [ other than good weather] so have set about doing that already .

The hull I bought did not have them fitted so I decided to fit them to maintain a stable flow whilst turning on the lake and to help prevent a reactance of the last episode which sunk my last model with all hands due to a fidgety digital Receiver going berserk [ see previous posts 291+299 ]

I can only blame myself for not securing them better but thought the glue I used was man enough to handle it ....Wrong

This time I have removed both, cleaned them up and refitted them using Fibreglass, incorporating aluminium mesh reinforcement , and body filler to flair them in .

And there it all stops

As the minimum spray temperature is preferred as warm dry days not -2 as it currently is in Cambridgeshire and light snow

Still it has allowed me to re-coat the hull .....remove blemished paintwork [ thats a laugh as the hull resin is rust coloured ....to ad realism ....]

Still no point in wingeing whats done is done , and hopefully avoid any repetition of this happening and just as well as I enjoy the build process .....but there is a limit which excludes ....SELF DESTRUCT !

Last edited by ivorthediver : 06-02-2018 at 13:09.
Old 13-02-2018, 13:57
Admiral

Well second week in dry dock , slightly slower than real life here in Cambridge.

Managed to refit the Bilge Keels , and in between winter showers sand them down to something close to perfect , and tidied up the downward facing Bow thruster ports .

To date I have managed to respray the hull up to the waterline mark but again the weather has prevented me from respraying the remainder of the hull vertical surfaces ....so will be patient a little longer .

I sneakily did the "Red Lead" section by, once masked, warming up the spray canisters indoors and warming the area to be sprayed with a heat gun prior to applying about 6 coats [and warming between each coat ] and the end satin gloss coats to protect it .

Whilst not showroom gloss finish , it is representative of a dry dock paint job which I'm happy with , and once the details are on should past muster .

Still undecided about the hopefully"Never to happen" sinking episode
and how to avoid it and wether or not to secure the superstructure to the main deck or leave it as just a close fit against the access hatch coaming's

As it is not been designed to a" Severn Class" Lifeboat self righting hull,.... and whilst any ingress of water has been avoided ...should she go turtle she will sink with the two 4.4 Kg batteries she holds..... once water gains entry

Have thought long and hard about using Lipo's for which my other boats are kitted up for , but not knowing the equivalent size I would need restrains me .
That and the fact that I don't think you can wire them in parallel presents major rewiring problems in resolving it there again the obvious weight savings would be beneficial

I have doubled the surface marker boys which detach, should she sink ,and indicate where she lies and are tethered to the hull / superstructure independently by 40 lb braided fishing line 10 metre's long so cant think of what else to do should my worst nightmare occur again........suggestions welcome please

Fitted 2 x 14 amp hr SLA total battery weight of 9 KG's ....largest Lipo available currently is 11.1v 6500ah 65C discharge Hard Case Lipo's total weight 480g each so the weight differential is large even allowing for ballast requirements
Old 13-02-2018, 21:40
Admiral

Seems to me you have taken every reasonable precaution. Only other thing is build a Salvage vessel!.
Jim
Old 13-02-2018, 22:09
Admiral

IF only it was that simple Jim , but the sides of the lake to , where we are allowed, are set at 45% coupled with a known depth of 5m in its deepest point [ ex quarry] and due to the silt again known to be 1m deep in the centre the water is ink black so even if it were possible a flood light lowered would be unlikely to help ....Hence the marker boys fitted to the model...... to give me a clue .

No other water lakes that we can gain access to at present..... and believe me we have looked .... so hence our dilemma for which we pay a rent of I believe in access of 500.00 a year to which our membership contribute to in order to float our boats .....

So until our fortunes improve thats our unhappy lot

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1942 : HMS Jed : Lt. Cdr. Ronald Clifford Freaker, DSO, RD, RNR Assumed Command