World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Other Shipping & Maritime Topics > Other Maritime Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Maritime Topics Other topics related to non-naval seafaring

Old 12-02-2018, 11:45
Admiral

Default Fleet Chief WRNS

While working in Portsmouth late 60s, Family/Child Care, I worked in team with a WRNS Fleet Chief carrying out family support duties from RN Barracks; does anyone have any information about this system?

Edna
Old 12-02-2018, 15:58
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Fleet Chief WRNS

I think she may have been a Chief Petty Officer Wren rather than Fleet Chief Petty Officer Wren. I think the Fleet Chief rank came into effect in the early 1970's.

Jim
Old 12-02-2018, 19:42
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
While working in Portsmouth late 60s, Family/Child Care, I worked in team with a WRNS Fleet Chief carrying out family support duties from RN Barracks; does anyone have any information about this system?

Edna
The dreaded Family Welfare WRNS ..... most steered clear of them ....... Unmarried Females who could tell young Mothers whose Husbands were away how to bring up their children and manage a Family ....... Grrr

Dave H

She would have been a Chief WRNS [Welfare]
Old 13-02-2018, 12:02
Admiral

The Wrens I worked with were not intrusive and overbearing, indeed some of them spent time with families, helping with everyday care where necessary (e.g. no mum or mum-in-law to help) and with the necessary paper work which most mums found totally confusing. They were particularly helpful when post was delayed. I am sure they would have welcomed today's Skype and what-have-you (I am no techie) to keep families in touch.

In my childhood, mums got 'birthday pictures' taken every year, to keep husbands up to date with their offspring's growth.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 1st January 1966 : HMS Albion : Sailed Singapore