World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Unidentified Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unidentified Crews Where we post individual and group photos of unidentified naval personnel

Old 11-04-2009, 21:32
Leading Seaman

Default Photo Onboard HMS Wishart

Hi All,

Can anyone help name any of the officers or crew in this photo?
This photo is from my Grandfather's photos,and is entitled HMS Wishart water polo Mediterranean fleet 1935 championship winners destroyer flotilla.
My Grandfather Eric Sturgess is in the front row far right,and I know that in the front row second from the left is Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Thanks Regards Ian.
Old 11-04-2009, 22:05
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.
Default Re: Photo Onboard HMS Wishart

Great photograph Ian.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59
Forum moderator

Ian, identifying them will be difficult as they are all from various ships not just Wishart, looking at the cap-tallies there's also Hms Whitshed. Can't quite make out the others.

So unless there's someone out there who was either in the photo or has one with names it's a big ask.

Great photo though and thanks for posting it, I wish you luck with it.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 23-05-2009, 23:14
Commander

My guess would be that the Captain is Vice-Admiral Harold Tom Baillie-Grohman C.B., D.S.O., O.B.E. (1888-1978) when he was serving as Captain D, 1st Destroyer Flotilla, Mediterranean Fleet (December 1934 - February 1936). During this period Captain Baillie-Grohman D.S.O., O.B.E was commanding officer of the Flotilla leader HMS KEPPEL.

Again a guess but the Lt Cdr could be Lieut Cdr. Mervyn Somerset Thomas, RN Commanding Officer of HMS WHITSHED. If the identificatuion is correct this officer was in command of HMS DAINTY when she was bombed and sunk on 24 February 1941 by five He.111 of II/KG.26 from Comiso (Sicily). As far as I am aware Mervyn Somerset Thomas rose to the rank of Commander RN and was awarded the DSO.

Regards

stontamar
Old 23-05-2009, 23:59
Admiral

Great pic!!

I am just amazed at the array of 'tiddly cap ribbons' on display in such august company... Hmmm

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Cannot help with the naming on the photo but why is the Captains collar pointing out wards while the rest are normal or was this the proper dress for the senior officer in the 30s, looks rather odd compared with the rest of the officers----further to this did Mountbatten take command of the destroyer "KELLY" after this picture was taken or did he command another ship before the KELLY?
Old 21-10-2009, 21:19
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
further to this did Mountbatten take command of the destroyer "KELLY" after this picture was taken or did he command another ship before the KELLY?
Hi Dave

Mountbatten was promoted to Commander in 1932 and was given his first command, HMS DARING, in April 1934. Later that year he took command of HMS WISHART. He left the destroyer in 1936 and was appointed to the Naval Air Division of the Admiralty. In June 1939 he took over command of the new destroyer HMS KELLY and in September of that year he took command of the 5th Destroyer Flotilla.

The caption to the photograph is reported to be ‘HMS WISHART water polo Mediterranean fleet 1935 championship winners destroyer flotilla’ and as such it is most probable that at the time of the photograph this was Mountbatten’s second command and the last before taking command of HMS KELLY.

In a previously entry I speculated that the Lt Cdr could be Lieut Cdr. Mervyn Somerset Thomas, RN Commanding Officer of HMS WHITSHED and that the Captain is Harold Tom Baillie-Grohman C.B., D.S.O., O.B.E. (1888-1978) serving as Captain D, 1st Destroyer Flotilla in HMS KEPPEL.

Regards

stontamar
Old 21-10-2009, 21:59
Vice-Admiral

Ian, regarding your photograph,
I think the person sitting next to your grandfather is Admiral A.B.Cunningham. Although I think he was a Rear Admiral at the time the photo was taken.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 31-10-2009, 23:01
Leading Seaman

Hi,
many thanks stontamar and Bill for putting some names to the faces in my grandfathers photo.

Regards Ian.
Old 28-08-2016, 20:30
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: Water polo team on HMS Wishart (1935)

I have not dared to add names to the caption but have added the photograph to the web page for HMS WISHART on the web site of the V & W DESTROYER ASSOCIATION.

See: http://vandwdestroyerassociation.org...art/index.html

I am in touch with three men who served in WISHART in WW2 ranging in age from 90 to 97 and I tell their stories on the web site for HMS WISHART.

Would you like me to add your Grandfather's story?

Bill Forster
Old 31-01-2018, 19:20
Sub-Lieutenant

Ian,

I found your grandfather's photograph in the Commissioning Book for DARING and WISHART 1934 - 6 which was lent to me by John Wittlton.

It gives the names of everybody in the photograph and since it is a contemporary record can be relied upon to be accurate.

I have added their names beneath the photograph on this page about Mountbatten as CO of HMS WISHART in 1934-6.

http://vandwdestroyerassociation.org...untbatten.html

It took me two weeks to research and write this page on the website of the V & W Derstroyer Associastion!

Anybody out there willing to help with one of the other V & Ws?

Bill
Old 20-02-2018, 17:32
Admiral

For which we are all grateful Bill , thank you very much for taking the trouble ..

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 22nd January 2007 : HMS Ark Royal : Portsmouth Rededication