World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2017, 07:09
Admiral

Default Re: Naval Tug ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
She's looking grand Ivor - best of luck on Sunday!
Thank you Tim , I'll let you know how I get on in due course ...
Old 07-07-2017, 07:23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen View Post
She won't be looking grand if ivor keeps using my garden table while I'm at work !..
Hmmm , better be careful , or Ill refit the Vice to the dining room table again ...if I can find it under all the forthcoming wedding paraphernalia
Old 07-07-2017, 17:52
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Quite so Jim me lad ....

I could understand it if she was moaning about the best bedspread laying beneath the model .....but she missed that ...up to now anyway

In answer to your Question ....yes ...

I was given the multi jointed figure by another model maker who thought it unusable ...huh...

Once I altered the physic of the model and shaved some bits off and grafted a six pack on I thought it a close resemblance

I had some scale diving cylinders from my "bits box " and stuck on the appropriate stickers , and fashioned the regulator / pressure gauge , and fitted the Fins and hey presto a handsome Diver for the starboard quarter complete with face mask ......err but no knife on the thigh or the buoyancy device ....
I saw it you naughty man , going to have to hide that now
Old 07-07-2017, 18:10
Admiral

Well it would have been better if you had bought a blue one to offer a better background for my photo shoots on the garden table , but there again perhaps if I get rid of the garden and fit a boating lake it would be better ......

There again that might impinge on my trips down the lake on Sunday mornings

Hmmmmm what do you think I should do Dave ? you know what these Shoreham girls are like or should I take a leaf out of Basil Faulty and just give her a " Dam Good Thrashing " . but there again this close to the Wedding could cause a bit of a fuss ......dont you think

No..... better stick to the much missed" Sandys " comments a while back and...." Don't Forget to bolt the Vice onto the Dining room Table"
Old 10-07-2017, 06:49
Admiral

Good Morning Gentlemen , pleased to report that the new battery replacements continue to be thoroughly reliable and effective , with the only current problem being the weight issue of the combined batteries .

The digital charger is more than capable of recharging within a couple of hours and registers full with a reading of 14.7 when it switches off as completed .

Once in and connected in parallel the meter built into the bridge indicates 12.8 volts and even after running for over two hours with everything "ON" still showed 12.6 when switched off .

During this period of "WORK" she towed her rescue line behind her out approx 150m and assisted in recovering a 4' Submarine model whose drive linkage sleeves had split and another model who had suspect batteries , so all in all a good day working hard and a decent navigation / manoeuvring skills lesson obtained .

Difficult when that much line is trailed behind to judge where everything lays in the water , but using the wind which is moving the model further away whilst you decide what to do is stimulating and "Wrapping" the floating boom around was a tad hairy as I was having problems with the member letting out the line to give me enough slack and at one point all he was doing was being pulled further down the bank whilst he deployed the line , but we got there in the end .

Payment ? .......well offered a very sloppy chocolate bar that was rapidly melting by the subs owner

Spent quite a while chatting to the lakes manager who showed me a picture of a 26Ld Carp he had caught in the early hours and having now seen the size of the fish in there I am not so sceptical of the theory about the last tug being overturned by a fish

However this Tug is much bigger than the last and more powerful so even if true she stands a better chance of not being swamped with water .
Old 10-07-2017, 08:15
Commodore

Who's a happy bunny now then?

Jack.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:51
Admiral

Looks like she is going to have a busy life, taking part in a rescue, before even starting her 'work up' period.
Jim
Ps check her water tight doors, according to the local rag, QE has problems with some of hers!.
Old 10-07-2017, 16:29
Admiral

All seals and glands water tight and running smoothly thanks Jim .

The thing that impressed me most about her is her handling ....had I known I may not have fitted the Bow thruster ......and an absolute pleasure to navigate ,
God I wish our dear old "Chief Stoker" were still amongst us , miss his mischievous humour tinged with kindness .....such a sad thing bless him

As for our QE2 thread that has gone from being an informative rhetoric on the progress...... to a pain in the arse cramped by Ego's......never seen so many " Experts" passing their four penerth so sad ....

I recall a definition which now seems so appropriate .......

" An "EX" is a has been ...and a " spert" is a Drip under pressure "

Perhaps we should start a new thread on" Future use of our Carriers" where they can all pontificate about the items they deem important or sub standard just to give themselves something to bleat on about .......steps off hobby horse and pour's large tot

Please pass on our love and good wishes to Greta please Jim
Old 10-07-2017, 16:36
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW1208 View Post
Who's a happy bunny now then?

Jack.
Yes I surely am Jack... thanks for looking in , and will finish her off bit by bit now I'm confident all major problems seem solved .....may have to get one of those trollys the lads showed earlier if she gets any heavier
Old 11-07-2017, 20:13
Admiral

Quote:
All seals and glands water tight and running smoothly thanks Jim .

The thing that impressed me most about her is her handling ....had I known I may not have fitted the Bow thruster ......and an absolute pleasure to navigate ,
God I wish our dear old "Chief Stoker" were still amongst us , miss his mischievous humour tinged with kindness .....such a sad thing bless him

As for our QE2 thread that has gone from being an informative rhetoric on the progress...... to a pain in the arse cramped by Ego's......never seen so many " Experts" passing their four penerth so sad ....

Perhaps we should start a new thread on" Future use of our Carriers" where they can all pontificate about the items they deem important or sub standard just to give themselves something to bleat on about .......steps off hobby horse and pour's large tot

Please pass on our love and good wishes to Greta please Jim
Agreed Ivor. This must be the most informed web site on the internet about the UK,s new wonder ships. Every article pertaining to their Construction, equipment, Operation, likely problems, upgrades and manning, has been Quoted and /or linked to. Not to worry though, it's all archived on here so any operational problems and 'they' will no doubt find the answer here. I suppose the next topic will be dismantling/recycling!.
Jim
Old 11-07-2017, 21:39
Admiral

Thought I'd dip my toe in here with my tuppence worth on a couple of recent posts lads.

Quote:

Perhaps we should start a new thread on" Future use of our Carriers" where they can all pontificate about the items they deem important or sub standard just to give themselves something to bleat on about ......
Nothing wrong with the QE (RO8) thread in my opinion Ivor, except for the volumes of off-topic 'interventions'. The QE (R08) thread along with the Type 45 thread(s), provide a good shopwindow into the modern naval methods and the use of COTS equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Agreed Ivor. This must be the most informed web site on the internet about the UK,s new wonder ships. Every article pertaining to their Construction, equipment, Operation, likely problems, upgrades and manning, has been Quoted and /or linked to.
Jim
Well Jim, much better we get the most accurate and verified information posted early on. This in the hope that we don't have to suffer all the repititious, unsubstantiated stories, that so often get churned out on other warship threads, opened to discuss a ship Type, Class or Batch, but degenerate into mere scuttlebutt.

Now I know that I have ventured onto a forum where I don't usually make any contribution Gents .... so I'll offer these two images by way of my erstwhile bona-fides

Just a couple of out of the many model kit boxes that were available for purchase at reasonable prices in Hong Kong 70-72. I glued together quite a number and painted just a few of them.

Little h

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ,, Hong Kong - Brave boat.jpg (194.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ,, Hong Kong - Phantom.jpg (57.5 KB, 7 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 12-07-2017 at 00:46.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:30
Admiral

We are way off piste here, so this will be my last. In my opinion only. QE form started well, was interesting, and informative as you say. Then it seemed to become a competition to see who could post the latest up date from Technical journals, and news paper articles. I do 'dip' into it now and again, however if a post contains only a blue link.I pass. At the moment there's an intense discussion whether a diver had a shuffti at the prop in harbour or out. REALLY!.
Please tell me we won't have to go through all this again with POW.
Jim
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16
Admiral

Well before my friend drops on me from a great height and chastises me for doing exactly what others do .......let me just say this :-

dearest Harry ....I respect all you say and bow to your superior knowledge of Naval Architecture , but can only say that Jim's comments are akin to mine and clearly that of many others [ like Rob for instance] but as in many forms of life their are those who adopt a mantle of bullying by the mouth and assertion that they have the authoritative right to direct others who do not fall in line with their assertions

Yes your modelling background is as ours.... same source...but like you in your areas of expertise ...we moved on to do our own manufacture and scale designs as we saw it as more of a challenge than assembly of ready made kits designed by others and often not that accurate in detail

Dear Jim ...as I have "nailed my couloirs to the mast" as above ....no doubt the next will be " hoist by my own petard " so to speak

My apologies to our Moderator who has the unenviable task of not being able to voice his personal opinion, rather to dictate Forum policy ...my commiserations
Old 16-07-2017, 12:56
Admiral

Well I'm thinking of starting another thread titled " Ship Recovery" as they are coming thick and fast lately , rescued a model cruiser , and a rescue / recovery vessel today using the tried and tested recovery boom system which works well with the right guy on the spool attached to the boom towed by the tug .

Provided the spool is played out and retrieved at the right point the floating line and boom snags the model enough to tease it back ashore even with a moderate breeze over the lake , so proven again to be a good practical design

Now if I can just get the buggers to pay up I could start a fund to build another but at this rate it could be a fair few years
Old 16-07-2017, 17:24
Admiral

Bet it beats just slogging round the pond!. I hope you get an agreement re. responsibility, there's alway some awkward so n' so quick to pass the blame.
Jim
Old 17-07-2017, 06:18
Admiral

A good point Jim but I always repeat back to them"That They Want Me To Try and Recover Their stranded model " and I pass the chord reel to them whilst I position the Tug ........all I have to do once ashore is" Unravel"the mess they make of the knotted mass of chord left at my feet whilst they hide their embarrassment

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 21st January 1919 : HMS Lion : Peace Sea Pageant - Southend