World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends For service records, and information about your naval relatives, friends and colleagues

Old 15-01-2008, 09:33
Recruit

Default Battle of Jutland: Complete Crew Lists

I am trying to find complete crew lists for RN ships that survived Jutland. Help please?
Old 15-01-2008, 09:58
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Complete crew lists Jutland

Really every ship or any in particular? The term "survived" denotes no less than 143 warships, as compared to the 14 sunk. I'm sure someone can probably refer you to the ADM files in the Public Records Office for crew rosters.

Off the top of my head, the closest online is the list of every ship with it's Captain;

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/jut03lst.htm

Harley
Old 16-08-2011, 08:27
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: Battle of Jutland: Complete Crew Lists

To the best of my knowledge there are no complete crew listings of Jutland vessels not lost.

There only a few methods of denoting that a man was 100% sure to have been at the action.

That he was wounded, Killed or taken prisoner.

That he was on a survivors list of a ship that was sunk. (picked up by friendly forces)

That he was commended /decorated for his part in the action.

In the case of sailors, having his original parchment is handy, as it will be stamped that he has received the Jutland bounty (if he was present) .
This notation of the bounty paid is NOT usually on the Admiralty copy records available from the PRO. On the other hand the records at the PRO for Marines, do note the Jutland bounty.

Other than personal accounts mentioning identifiable 3 rd parties , that's about it, for 100% ID of men present.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 13-07-2017, 07:19
Able Seaman

A group of volunteers have been compiling the crew lists of the 151 ships at the battle. We actually check the service records, and other sources. We estimate that the number of RN sailors at the Battle of Jutland to be approximately 58,000. We have recently identified 50% of these names.
I have recently started to put these names on-line at jcl.penfold.org.uk names will be added to this website on a regular basis.
Old 16-07-2017, 10:01
Petty Officer

Hello Penfold, pm sent to you with details of crewmember in HMS Defence.
Old 19-07-2017, 09:16
Able Seaman

A small team of volunteers are endeavouring to re-create the crew lists of the 151 Royal Navy ships at the Battle of Jutland. Service records, Navy Lists and other sources are consulted before a name is confirmed to have been at the battle.

Links to the crew lists can be found at: www.jcl.penfold.org.uk

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 26th January 1940 : HMS Hostile : Completed Refitting at Chatham. Sailed Chatham