World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 18-02-2017, 20:08
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Possibly closing notes on the port/starboard island discussion:-

1/. From another forum some years back - "Normal aviation practice is to fly left hand circuits which made having the island on the starboard side a logical choice, the aircraft turned away from the island if doing a closed circuit, continuing left turns to downwind, base and finals.

The Japanese carriers with islands on the port side were Hiryu and Akagi, after modernisation. The theory was that they could work in close formation with their sister ships, flying a right hand circuit, while the aircraft of the sister ship used left hand circuits, so that their respective air groups could operate together with minimal interference when landing and taking off.
Hiryu was supposed to work with her near sister Soryu, while Akagi worked with Kaga.

That was the theory anyway!"

2/. Mention was made of a pilot's instinct to turn to port in an emergency. For the average pilot (and I was a very average pilot) the most natural stick movement for a turn is to the left. It also combines more easily with the head movement to the left to keep a lookout in the turn.

Try it yourself, sit with a walking stick or similar between your knees, held in your right hand. Now try a combined hand and head movement to left and to right - most of us find the left easier.

Don't think I can add any more and I promise to stop cluttering the thread with non-F35 stuff!

Mike
Old 18-02-2017, 22:24
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet driver View Post
Possibly closing notes on the port/starboard island discussion:-

1/. From another forum some years back - "Normal aviation practice is to fly left hand circuits which made having the island on the starboard side a logical choice, the aircraft turned away from the island if doing a closed circuit, continuing left turns to downwind, base and finals.

The Japanese carriers with islands on the port side were Hiryu and Akagi, after modernisation. The theory was that they could work in close formation with their sister ships, flying a right hand circuit, while the aircraft of the sister ship used left hand circuits, so that their respective air groups could operate together with minimal interference when landing and taking off.
Hiryu was supposed to work with her near sister Soryu, while Akagi worked with Kaga.

That was the theory anyway!"

2/. Mention was made of a pilot's instinct to turn to port in an emergency. For the average pilot (and I was a very average pilot) the most natural stick movement for a turn is to the left. It also combines more easily with the head movement to the left to keep a lookout in the turn.

Try it yourself, sit with a walking stick or similar between your knees, held in your right hand. Now try a combined hand and head movement to left and to right - most of us find the left easier.

Don't think I can add any more and I promise to stop cluttering the thread with non-F35 stuff!

Mike
Thanks Gd but how about lefthanders? Just a thought.
Old 18-02-2017, 23:45
Vice Commodore

Quite understand, both my father and my son were/are lefties. By contrast, I am almost cripplingly right-handed.

Perversely, the Captain's seat in a civil-type aircraft is essentially left-handed, but all single-seaters are designed to be flown right-handed. I have plenty of left seat time and didn't find it a problem, despite my extreme right-handedness.

Can't honestly give a straight answer, David. Wish I could, but never heard a complaint voiced by a leftie. Would be most interested if some respond.

Mike
Old 19-02-2017, 05:49
Rear-Admiral

Getting back to the Red Flag results, this hearing simply reinforces the F35's combat advantage over ALL other 4 gen platforms.
Any of the doubters and muppets who still argu against the aircraft are simply blind to the avalanche of evidence mounting in its favour.
The military leaders interviewed in the link are not talking theory, this is hard evidence.

https://youtu.be/zgLjNsB_hyM
Old 19-02-2017, 08:54
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
Getting back to the Red Flag results, this hearing simply reinforces the F35's combat advantage over ALL other 4 gen platforms.
Any of the doubters and muppets who still argu against the aircraft are simply blind to the avalanche of evidence mounting in its favour.
The military leaders interviewed in the link are not talking theory, this is hard evidence.

https://youtu.be/zgLjNsB_hyM
Excellent video find. Good to hear such positive results from the guys who use the aircraft, not from the anti's who have never even sat in the cockpit.

GF

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 14th January 1940 : HMS Edinburgh : Arrived Rosyth