World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF NAVAL ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Military History > World War One > Unidentified Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unidentified Photos View or post unidentified military photos from World War One

Old 17-02-2010, 13:54
Forum Moderator

Default POSTCARD: Army Engineers

I have absolutely no idea how I came to own this postcard, or what it is depicting.

The card is published by "W. Naylor, Eastgate Series, 212 High Street, Rochester" ... whether that suggests a local scene or not I do not know.

I assume they are Army chaps ... Royal Engineers ...??, and it looks like they might be building a bridge ..??

I would be interested if anyone has any ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rochester_1.jpg (1.84 MB, 56 views)

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 17-02-2010, 14:13
Vice Commodore

Default Re: POSTCARD: Army Engineers

Hi Clive I for my sins was once a field engineer, I think they are trying to shift a boulder. Most likely an excise otherwise they would blow it up. Nice picture thanks for posting it.

Guz.
Old 17-02-2010, 15:12
Crossed the Bar

Hi Clive.I agree with Guz,it does look like some kind of exercise either that or a leadership task similar to the ones we had to do at Royal Arthur!...Steve.
Old 17-02-2010, 20:36
Captain

'...For the putting up of poles and the digging up of holes for the soljery...' I forget the author.Kipling? I believe they may be building some form of flying fox for a high line or bridging a gap.Only in practice I guess.Being required to wear their caps like that whilst carrying out the evolution must be a pain.
Cheers John O'C.
Old 17-02-2010, 20:40
Crossed the Bar

Talking Re: POSTCARD: Army Engineers

Hi John.Yes thats Kipling OK.You can tell his style a mile away...Regards Steve.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:32
Vice Commodore

Steve and John this is with with out doubt a training method in sheer legs triple blocks and bracing to shift heavy objects. And to teach the rookies about stresses and strains. You would be amazed what weights two men can lift with ropes and triple blocks.

Regards

Guz
Old 18-02-2010, 10:26
Crossed the Bar

Talking Re: POSTCARD: Army Engineers

Ki Guz.Tell me about it.Shades of Royal Arthur,trying to get a 500lb bomb into a Scimitar cockpit,or making a hanging Pawnbrokers sign on a scaffold with old mooring buoys!!!!... Regards Steve.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:11
Lieutenant-Commander

Cool Re: POSTCARD: Army Engineers

Sure, having served with a French engineer unit for a while, it looks like what we call "une chevre" which is a system of poles, ropes and pulleys which permit the transport of heavy loads over a gap of any kind.

Once up and running it works very well indeed.
Old 10-02-2011, 21:15
Petty Officer

Volume 2 of The War Illustrated in the issue of 27th March 1915 has a photograph on page 126 of members of 3 Field Company Royal Australian Engineers building a suspension bridge over an Egyptian watercourse. Your postcard depicts Royal Engineers building a similar bridge obviously in training (no weapons in evidence) and possibly on Laffan's Plain Aldershot over a dry gap. If I can scan the picture I will post it shortly.
Old 10-02-2011, 21:57
Petty Officer

Having difficulty uploading picture. Success at last sorry I could not remove Moire effect. Van
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brd.JPG (731.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by CE REYC : 10-02-2011 at 22:10.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04
Petty Officer

I didn't notice the bit about the Rochester photographer. This and the piles of chalky soil could mean the training area could be at Upnor!
Old 09-06-2011, 20:34
Petty Officer

This month's Sapper magaszine has an article about the Ravelin, part of the Chatham defences and shows pictures of Sappers building a suspension bridge, with squared timbers rather than the logs in the Postcard at the startof this thread. Looking again at that one, just descernible under the angled log at the left is a chimney and a domed tower, seen more clealry in the Sapper photograph, which is still visible on the building housing the RE Museum.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 25th January 1939 : HMS Eskimo : Hunted for a submarine after a merchant ship reported being attacked 20 miles SE of Aberdeen

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

HMS Medway was the first Royal navy submarine Depot ship that was designed for the purpose from the outset. She is shown here with a quintet of T-class submarines on her starboard side, whilst an elderly L-Class begins  to move away having completed replenishment. HMS Medway was sunk on 30th June 1940 having been torpedoed by U-372 off Alexandria.

HMS Medway by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £450.00
 Completed in May 1941, HMS Victorious had been in commission just nine days when her pilots encountered and attacked the Bismarck. She is seen here in August 1942 with HMS Eagle astern of her.

HMS Victorious by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £30.00
VAR344B.  H.M.A.S. Nizam 1943 by Brian Wood.
H.M.A.S. Nizam 1943 by Brian Wood (B)
Half Price! - £20.00
The USS Colorado holds the all time record of 37 consecutive days of firing at an enemy and the record of 24 direct enemy air attacks in 62 days both while at Okinawa.

USS Colorado Okinawa by Anthony Saunders. 
Half Price! - £50.00

Midday, 21st October 1805, and Admiral Collingwoods flagship, the 100-gun HMS Royal Sovereign, breaks the allied line and delivers a shattering broadside on the Spanish flagship Santa Anna. Making great speed, Collingwoods ship had breached the Franco-Spanish line some distance ahead of the rest of his van and the Royal Sovereign suffered heavily as she quickly drew the attentions of three French and three Spanish ships. To her starboard, the French Indomitable can be seen firing into the British flagship while, astern of the Santa Anna, Belleisle and Fougueux are engaging ahead of Mars, Monarca and Pluton.

HMS Royal Sovereign at the Battle of Trafalgar by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 Lieutenant of the Royal Navy commands marines and crew during a sea battle with the French during the battle of Cape St Vincent.

In the Thick of Battle by Chris Collingwood.
Half Price! - £40.00
RFA Fort Austin makes a leisurely rendezvous at sunset with the Polaris submarine HMS Renown on patrol somewhere in mid ocean. Soon a rubber inflatable will be launched from the Fort, and mail and fresh fruit and vegetables will be transferred before darkness sets in and makes the operation more hazardous.

The Rendezvous by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £30.00
HMS Lion with her sister ship HMS Princess Royal are shown firing on the German High Seas Fleet which can be seen in the distance during the Battle of Jutland.

HMS Lion at the Battle of Jutland by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £95.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Neil Hodgson puts in 100% to achieve Pole Position, his 1st Double Win, the 1st Win for the Ducati 999 and the race and lap record at Valencia, March 2003.
One Hundred Percent by Dave Foord.
Half Price! - £130.00
FAR999. The Wild Card by Derrick Mark.
The Wild Card by Derrick Mark.
Half Price! - £20.00
 England 1 Germany 0, Euro 2000.  On the 17th of June 2000 England once again faced their old nemesis Germany in a Group A qualifying match at Euro 2000.  England entered the game knowing that they had not defeated Germany in a competitive match since the famous World Cup victory in 1966.  Germany made four changes to the side that had drawn with Romania including the introduction of midfielder Sebastian Deisler, whilst England had been forced to replace Tony Adams and Steve McManaman with Martin Keown and Dennis Wise due to injury.  As expected the game started at a frenetic pace and Jancker made things difficult for England's central defenders early on with his height and strength.  England appeared to be lacking cohesion and allowed Germany to take control of the game.  Deisler brought the German crowd to their feet with a clever run down the right hand side and minutes later Hamaan had their first strike on goal which was hit directly at David Seaman.  England were looking for a flash of inspiration and it was very nearly delivered as Michael Owen managed to meet Phil Neville's cross with his head but only managed to direct the ball on to the post.  Paul Scholes in typical fashion drove a ferocious volley, which was tipped just over the bar, and suddenly it appeared that England were beginning to find some weaknesses in certain areas of the German side.  At the interval little separated the two sides however, England started the second half with a steely determination.  After just seven minutes David Beckham earned his side a free kick in a very dangerous position on the England right.  With good movement from the forwards in the German area Beckham swung a speculative cross into the six yard box.  Owen, beaten by the pace, failed to connect but man of the match Alan Shearer anticipated the kind bounce and without hesitation headed the ball back across Kahn and into the right hand side of the German goal.  The England captain had broken the deadlock and instilled in his side the belief that they could finally defeat their oldest rivals.  Germany threw everything they had at England but Keegan's team were equal to the task in every area of the pitch.  As the final whistle blew a huge roar erupted from the England supporters as Alan Shearer's goal had ended over thirty years of frustration and sealed his place in the history books as one of England's greatest ever strikers.

Perfect Finish by Peter Cornwell.
Half Price! - £50.00

Lennox Lewis by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £50.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Concorde G-BOAC climbing steadily towards its operational height of nearly 60,000 feet and cruising speed of Mach 2.

The Queen of the Skies by Adrian Rigby. (Y)
Half Price! - £20.00
 An Avro Anson comes under attack from an Me109.

Avro Anson by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £52.50
A pair of RAF Tornado GRIs at low level during the Gulf War operation Desert Storm, in their distinctive desert pink camouflage colour scheme.
Pink Tornados by Geoff Lea.
Half Price! - £50.00
 During the years of the German occupation of Holland in World War II, more than 20,000 Dutch civilians perished through starvation and lack of basic provisions. Operation Manna was set in motion on Sunday, 29th April 1945 when Lancasters of the Royal Air Force began the first of 2,835 sorties, dropping 6,672 tons of food, to relieve the crisis in the Netherlands.  These humanitarian missions continued until 8th May, saving many thousands of civilians from certain death by starvation and malnutrition.  Here, Lancaster 4K765, LS-Z of 15 Sqn piloted by Flying Officer Jack Darlow, releases its precious cargo over a sports field north of The Hague.  Also in the crew was Alistair Lamb the Rear Gunner.

Operation Manna by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Men of the US 381st Infantry Regiment, 96th Division supported by the tanks of 763rd and 713th Flamethrower Tank Battalions, during the assault on Yaeju Dake. This escarpment, known as Big Apple was the last in a series of tough Japanese defence lines on the south of the Island.

Taking of Big Apple, Okinawa, 10th - 14th June 1945 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Superb figure study of the 82nd Airborne in 1944.

82nd Airborne by Chris Collingwood.
Half Price! - £80.00
 Pioneers were among the first British troops to land on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, by 1st August 1944 there were over 35,500 pioneers in Normandy. The painting shows the various activities of the pioneers during the D-Day landings.

Sword Beach by Terence Cuneo.
Half Price! - £50.00
DHM341B. The Battle of Beda Fomm  by David Rowlands.

The Battle of Beda Fomm by David Rowlands (B)
Half Price! - £20.00