World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:00
Admiral

Default Re: RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS Ganges

Not reported in the QEC Carriers thread, was that a Ganges 'plaque' was also amongst the artifacts dredged up from the bottom of Pompey harbour in preparation for the arrival of QE (R08).

Source and photograph; from an article in the Forces-Net News website.

I can see the headline now .... Ex Ganges boys say "Restore our mast or we'll clog up Pompey harbour with plaques"

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dredge 11.jpg (32.5 KB, 15 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 07-08-2017, 16:33
Admiral

Exclamation Re: RN Shore Training Establishment: HMS Ganges

A COUPLE OF TUCK'S PRE-WAR POST CARDS

They were sent to me today and I will pass them on to the Museum but no doubt they already have a full set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g1.jpg (163.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg g2.jpg (174.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 13-09-2017, 12:43
Admiral

PHOTOS

A couple of photos of WRNS at HMS Ganges.
The first is dated 1942 the second 1948.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS GANGES WRNS 1942.jpg (99.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GANGES' WRNS 1948.jpg (84.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 17-09-2017, 22:06
Admiral

WHO IS THIS AND WHEN?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yeoman.jpg (44.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 18-09-2017, 13:53
Admiral

Question for you Pelican..........when did Square Rig cease to be worn by Petty Officers? 1950's? No idea who the person in the photo is, but the above might help to date it?
Old 18-09-2017, 15:51
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Question for you Pelican..........when did Square Rig cease to be worn by Petty Officers? 1950's? No idea who the person in the photo is, but the above might help to date it?
Scurs post WW II the odd 'Acting PO' Instr. from various branches were at Shotely and I assume this was an example. Was hoping one of his class(s) might recognise him. I'm checking with an oppo the date when fore and aft for POs was introduced.
Old 18-09-2017, 17:03
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
Sorry for jumping in Scurs. It was in 1920 that Class III rig was extended
to POs with more than 4 years seniority in the rate. It wasn't until 1939 that
'fore and aft rig' was extended to all confirmed POs.
Mike B
Old 26-09-2017, 22:25
Admiral

FROM THE ENGINEERING WORKSHOP

David Oxbury H.M.S. Ganges
Near Neatishead ·
Having a look round the radar museum at Neatishead this afternoon, which is a good way to spend an afternoon. However, I found this. Any ideas anyone? Have to enlarge to read the sticker.

Buck Ryan It's says Mains driven clock recovered from Engineering Workshop HMS Ganges.
[Others remember watching the clock to see when it was stand easy]
Old 28-09-2017, 22:46
Admiral

SEA TRAINING - 1955 - HMS OBDURATE

This - http://www.hmsgangestoterror.org/hms-obdurate-1955.html - may be of interest to those of that era?

A portion:

Sailing at 0835 on Monday the 21st radar calibrations were completed at 0950 and course and speed was altered to 084/14kts. Dungeness was rounded by 1615 and, again by-passing the Thames Estuary, Harwich No.2 was picked-up at 2225. Log 138nm.
0900 was the sailing time on Tuesday for a GANGES Boys 'Sea Training Day' which ended with a return to No2 Buoy at 1545 thus getting them back to the establishment in time for Tea and their evening instruction period. Log 39nm.
At 0900 on Wednesday the ship moved across to Parkstone Quay to spend the day embarking mines. The absence of MULL OF GALLOWAY was always very conspicuous in the confines of the River Stour and she dwarfed OBDURATE as she returned from sea at 0930 to resume her usual position to the west of Shotley Gate.

Underway at 0900 with the customary 'Boys' onboard the ship laid the mines 15m SE of Harwich between 1100 and 1200 and showed the Boys the ropes as usual before returning to land them at 1645. Log 60nm. More mines were loaded during the afternoon on Friday.
At 0315 on Saturday 'Call the Hands for slipping' preceded an 0400 departure from Parkstone Quay. Lines of mines were laid between Shipwash and Galloper (15mls NE/25 SE of Harwich) from 0630 to 1120. That done the target was Chatham where 'H' Berth was reached at 1500 for the weekend. Log 80nm.

Monday the 28th was spent cleaning and storing and 32 ratings went off to Sheerness Ranges on a Musketry Course.

MARCH

On the 1st day of March a 29 strong class from the Electrical School and some Sea Cadets had embarked before the ship sailed at 0930. The trip was a 'Sea Experience Day' which followed the 'Boys' pattern at sea plus a stop to refuel at the Isle of Grain on the way back to 'H' Berth where they disembarked soon after 1745. Log 50nm.
Wednesday to Friday was spent on the buoys giving all Departments some time for maintenance and a run ashore.
Soon after 0800 on Saturday S/Lt's Des Landes RNR and Allen RNVR left the ship. An hour later the buoys were let go and the ship was on the way to take up Harwich No1 Buoy at1300. Log 60nm.
A Major Lewis of the Royal Dorsetshire Regiment and Squadron Leader Marshall, RAF joined the ship on a two-week training visit on Sunday.

On Monday the 7th thirty-six Boys had embarked when the ship slipped at 1000 to carry out a Patrol Exercise Serial. They had but a brief feel of the sea before returning at 1307 and disembarking at 1500. Log 30nm.

On Tuesday a dozen minesweepers had left for sea before OBDURATE sailed at 1000 to position for the start of the current series of Exercise Garage XXII Serial 1 at 1300. (The 'Garage' title covered the long-running routine series of exercises aimed at maintaining defence against seaborne threats.

At 1752 the ship proceeded to the aid of the inshore minesweeper CHILLINGHAM with mechanical problems some 9 miles SW of the Sunk Lightship. Arriving on scene at 1830 OBDURATE's Engineer and Electrical officers went over to the minesweeper but were unable to resolve the problems. FPB 15071 then towed her across to OBDURATE which commenced the 25nm tow towards Sheerness at 2332.
At the Little Nore off Sheerness HM Tug ADHERENT took the tow and OBDURATE turned just after 0600 for Harwich reaching No1 Buoy at 1000 on Wednesday. Log 170nm. The GANGES Boys that had been onboard left with a tale to tell at 1015.

Mines were taken on at Parkstone Quay between 0900 and 1040 Thursday. After moving back to No1 Buoy at 1130 the Captain addressed the Ship's Company. Sailing at 1727 the ship darkened as eyes focused on defending the ship against FPB's once more until exercise end at 2325. At anchor from 0115 until 0715 on Friday the mines were laid in the NE approaches to the Thames before returning to Harwich at 1315 to fuel from RFA TEAKOL. Log 160nm. Topped up with fuel and water the ship left for Chatham at 1800 securing at 'H' Berth at 2250. Log 55nm.

On Monday the 14th all Leave had expired by 0815 and the ship sailed at 0900. A stop in the Barrow Deep in the middle of the Thames Estuary was made at 1050 to scatter the ashes of the late Lt Cdr J A Potter and Lt Cdr F C Devenish. On completion passage to Harwich was continued arriving at No1 Buoy at 1350. Log 52nm. Sailing again at 1624 the darkened ship was challenged by an aircraft at 1846. Defence/Action Stations continued until the lights were switched on again at 2240 after an aircraft illuminated the 'enemy' FPB's. OBDURATE made Harwich at 0033 on Tuesday. Log 90nm. The ship was underway to sea again at 1630 on another patrol which ended at soon after 2100 allowing a return to Harwich by midnight. Log 95nm.
On Wednesday three separate groups of GANGES Boys visited the ship before twelve of OBDURATE's ship's company went to GANGES for their Education Test 1 Examination in the afternoon.
They had returned by the time the buoy was slipped at 1635 for another Patrol in which the attackers were pursued at 26kts after being engaged at 2117. The action ended at 2210 and the ships returned to Harwich at 0015 on Thursday. Log 114nm.
Two groups of Boys made an hour-long visit in the forenoon on Thursday as the ship's company caught up with maintenance and had a very welcome all night in their hammocks.
On Friday the minesweepers RAMOLA, LAERTES, TRUELOVE & COQUETTE went to sea and the submarine TAPIR came in before OBDURATE got underway at 1630 for - you've guessed it - another Patrol. Luck was on their side as it was cancelled at 1800 and instead the ship was pointed towards Sheerness to arrive alongside TEAKOL at the Isle of Grain Oil Terminal at 2210.
Passage upriver to 'H' Berth was completed by 0815 on Saturday and SWE Leave was given from 1145. Log 75nm.
Major Lewis and Sdn Ldr Marshall left to ship on Saturday and at midday five Sea Scouts joined for an overnight visit until 1600 Sunday.

On Monday the 21st RFA FORT BEAUHARNOIS left Chatham at 1045 to begin another trip into the Mediterranean with stores for our Bases and ships there. In OBDURATE Warrants No 14 and 15 were read before junior rates at 1145. In the afternoon Paintship began and continued through the week. 'Emergency Destroyer' meant readiness for sea came down to 30 minutes from 0900 to 2100 on Wednesday and 0600 to 1200 on Thursday.
Commissioned Electrical Officer Mr Bullock left the ship on appointment to HMS WOODBRIDGE HAVEN. Short WE Leave was granted from 1115 to 0800 Monday leaving the duty watch to paint decks over the weekend.
Two Boy Buglers joined the ship from GANGES at 1810 on Saturday.

As you would imagine the ship looked immaculate when Libertymen returned on Monday the 28th. Salutes were exchanged with the destroyer BROADSWORD and submarine rescue vessel KINGFISHER when they left the dockyard for sea. Sadly this was not the case with sister ship OBEDIENT, in Reserve, as she left the dockyard under tow by HM Tug PROSPEROUS. Six Sea Cadets joined the ship at 1550 as preparations for sea began.
Commander in Chief, Nore was piped aboard at 1900 and by 1920 we were on passage to the Dutch Naval Base at Den Helder. Arriving at 1007 on Tuesday the CinC spent his day visiting and receiving naval and civil representatives. Log 185nm. Sailing at 0957 on Wednesday the next stop was Cherbourg's Quai James at 0900 on Thursday. Log 310nm. The Boy Buglers paraded here and the Prefect Maritime, after paying a courtesy visit, later returned with his wife to lunch on board
Old 03-10-2017, 22:56
Admiral

EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA

Many Ganges Boys left Shotley or their Port Division bound for Liverpool and thence to their first ship in the Med fleet or points further east onboard the Empress of Australia. Little did we know her history then:
http://www.ssmaritime.com/Empress-of-Australia.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA.jpg (46.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53
Vice-Admiral

My father often talked about his various contacts with Ganges over the years. Did you know there was a Christmas Dinner Club at Ganges in 1940 ? There was a chicken run and a piggery, and someone "nurtured" the walnut tree. My father was responsible for pickling the walnuts, but I don't know who did the other preparations, but contributors had their choice of bacon or bird.

I don't know how my father got his cockerel, live, from Shotley to Elvetham, Hants, but "Cardinal Wolsey" (he had very long legs) had a lively time with Uncle Mick's hens, before we took him in a box by train to Portsmouth, where he annoyed the Neighbours for two early mornings before my father dealt with him - so we had cockerel for Christmas '40. - having had goose from HMS Excellent Christmas 1939, but that is another story !

Edna
Old 04-10-2017, 11:49
Admiral

THE MAST - PROGRESS

June Lawford-Randallto H.M.S. Ganges

Good news post this morning from Derek Davis, Chairman, HMS Ganges Museum:
“Happy to chat with Mark Glenn Murphy on Radio Suffolk this morning about an application put into Babergh DC to to dismantle the mast to start work on restoring it to its former glory.”
Old 04-10-2017, 22:11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
THE MAST - PROGRESS

June Lawford-Randallto H.M.S. Ganges

Good news post this morning from Derek Davis, Chairman, HMS Ganges Museum:
“Happy to chat with Mark Glenn Murphy on Radio Suffolk this morning about an application put into Babergh DC to to dismantle the mast to start work on restoring it to its former glory.”
Ganges mast could be ship-shape again by 2020 if planners agree
The iconic mast at the former HMS Ganges base at Shotley could be back to its best within three years, local residents hope.

An application to restore the 143-foot mast has now formally been submitted to Babergh Council – its restoration is a key element of the redevelopment of the site with nearly 300 homes and business use.

A condition of the redevelopment proposal by developers Haylink is that the restoration of the mast, which is a listed building because of its importance to the local landscape, should be under way by the time the 130th new home is completed.

Local independent councillor Derek Davis said he did not expect a rapid restoration – it was likely to be two or three years before it was completed.

And the speed of the work could depend on whether Babergh is successful in a bid for infrastructure funding from the government.

Mr Davis said: “The work will go ahead – it is one of the planning conditions for the redevelopment of the site – but it cannot happen until the homes are built around the parade ground because there is the danger if it is in place then that it could be damaged by the construction work.

“The new rigging should be completed to a very high standard.

“It will be done by the people who worked on the restoration of the Cutty Sark a few years ago.”

The mast has been the best-known landmark on the Shotley peninsula for generations.

It was used to train naval cadets in the skills of rigging sailing ships long after the Royal Navy had finished with these vessels.

And its mast ceremony topped up with a cadet reaching the very top as a “Button Boy” was one of the best-known naval spectacles.

Blue Peter legend John Noakes took on the role of the Button Boy in one of the most memorable episodes of the programme back in the late 1960s.

The mast itself dates back to 1907 when the permanent HMS Ganges site was developed – replacing a training ship that had been moved from Harwich to Shotley a few years earlier.

HMS Ganges trained generations of Royal Navy recruits until 1976.

Between 1988 and 1999 it was used as a police training centre – although the mast was not used and fell increasingly into disrepair.

Full article including photos - http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ganges-ma...gree-1-5222940
Old 20-10-2017, 22:20
Admiral

THE PIERS AT SHOTLEY

A video of the piers and a 1926 photo of Boys from RNTE Shotley going on leave via 'Admiralty' pier.

https://youtu.be/uJQhVtTzL00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926.jpg (42.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 16:12
Admiral

MYLOR MEMORIAL - FROM THE HMS GANGES ASSOCIATION:

Following the Committee's decision to tidy up the Mylor Memorial, I'm please to announce that the work is now complete and ready for Remembrance Sunday, the tiled area around the memorial was extended, a 10 metre path laid, area to the right cleared and returfed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mylor.jpg (158.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 17:41
Admiral

Well done [BZ] to the Cornwall Division & Devonport Division , both have been doing this for years and both Divisions hold the Remembrance Service there every year.

Dave H [Devonport Diovision]
Old 08-11-2017, 23:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Well done [BZ] to the Cornwall Division & Devonport Division , both have been doing this for years and both Divisions hold the Remembrance Service there every year.

Dave H [Devonport Diovision]
Dave for info those Divs. have done sterling work in the past but due to advancing years they can no longer manage it. Hence the Association - its members - now pay for this kind of work to be done by a contractor. In this case I understand in the region of £2k. Money well spent with pleasure. Our thoughts will be with all on Sunday be it Mylor, the Cenotaph where the usual Ganges platoon will march, Shotley where the ashes of Ganges Boys or the Ships Company will be scattered off the Marina and everywhere - We Will Remember Them.
Old 13-11-2017, 23:30
Admiral

FOR THE DOUBTERS

Hopefully seeing is believing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13TH OCTOBER 2017.jpg (72.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 15-11-2017, 12:52
Admiral

Quote:
Dave for info those Divs. have done sterling work in the past but due to advancing years they can no longer manage it. Hence the Association - its members - now pay for this kind of work to be done by a contractor. In this case I understand in the region of £2k. Money well spent with pleasure. Our thoughts will be with all on Sunday be it Mylor, the Cenotaph where the usual Ganges platoon will march, Shotley where the ashes of Ganges Boys or the Ships Company will be scattered off the Marina and everywhere - We Will Remember Them.
Thank you Dave ........ I am aware of all this , just wanted to update anyone who was not aware of the Mylor involvement of the two Divisions. Mylor as always was a success again this year.
Old 15-11-2017, 16:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Thank you Dave ........ I am aware of all this , just wanted to update anyone who was not aware of the Mylor involvement of the two Divisions. Mylor as always was a success again this year.
Some photos Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MYLOR.jpg (253.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg SHOTLEY.jpeg (116.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SHOTLEY AND MARINA.jpg (77.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 15-11-2017, 22:45
Admiral

Quote:
Some photos Dave.
P.S.

"Guzz paraded our Standard as always at Mylor.
As a result of the Association taking over the general maintenace of the site and paying for upgrading it is looking good. Photos will follow.

Some of us Ganges boys have been doing guide duties for the Commonwealth War Graves Commision at their exhibit of the Poppy Wave on the RN War Memorial Plymouth Hoe. The exhibit was a section of the big display in London.

Baz D-W 52
Old 27-11-2017, 13:18
Admiral

BOY SEAMAN LEO EDWARD BROWN

British boy seaman trained at HMS Ganges, GB, 1917; served aboard HMS Lion in GB coastal waters, 1918-1920; seaman served aboard HMS Hood, 1920-1921 and HMS Titania on China Station, 1921-1924; served with naval brigade and aboard HMS Cleopatra during industrial disputes in GB, 1924-1926; petty officer served aboard HMS Kent on China Station, 1931-1934; served aboard HMS Ajax during Battle of River Plate and in Mediterranean, 1937-1943

4 tapes about 30 mins long at - http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80013290
Old 27-11-2017, 14:22
Admiral

MAST UPDATE

Derek Davis‎ - Independent Councillor [Chairman Museum]

Don't be alarmed if you can no longer see the iconic HMS Ganges mast - it is being taken down and renovated. Permission has been granted - details here: https://planning.baberghmidsuffolk.g...-applications/ Ref: DC/17/04817

[It was still the same as below when I last saw it on Friday]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mast.jpg (77.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 27-11-2017, 15:01
Admiral

Even if you can't see it, doesn't mean it has been taken down for restoration, it may have finally FELL down after years of neglect.
Old 04-12-2017, 18:13
Admiral

THE LAST SERVING BOY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JACK KERR.jpg (346.3 KB, 23 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1933 : HMS Danae : Sailed Grand Cayman