World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32
Admiral

Default Re: Quiz: Mystery Ship (including Class)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris westwood View Post
I wonder if it's the former HMS Hindustan?
Sorry, no. The HINDUSTAN of 1841 was a wooden ship of the line. The Quiz ship was built of iron and steel vide #18173.
Old 11-04-2012, 16:11
Commodore

I have a feeling she's the Exmouth
Old 11-04-2012, 21:56
Admiral

Quote:
I have a feeling she's the Exmouth
Correct.

HMS EXMOUTH, later the Mercantile Marine training ship WORCESTER (III).

Over to you.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25
Commodore

name and navy please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery92.jpg (30.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 14:57
Chief Petty Officer

I guess it's the Romanian monitor "Basarabia" (ex-"Marx", ex-"Ujvidek", ex-K.u.K. SMS "Inn"), launched in 1915, captured by SU forces in 1944, renamed "Kerch", returned to Romania in 1951 and stricken in 1960.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:17
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemesos View Post
I guess it's the Romanian monitor "Basarabia" (ex-"Marx", ex-"Ujvidek", ex-K.u.K. SMS "Inn"), launched in 1915, captured by SU forces in 1944, renamed "Kerch", returned to Romania in 1951 and stricken in 1960.

I'm afraid not
Old 13-04-2012, 09:18
Admiral

Yugoslavia's DRAVA?
Old 13-04-2012, 13:19
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroclus View Post
Yugoslavia's DRAVA?

that's the fella.
Originally Serbian
Old 13-04-2012, 20:46
Admiral

Quote:
that's the fella.
Originally Serbian

Thank you.

Name, please:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mys030.jpg (106.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 13-04-2012, 23:12
Ordinary Seaman

French destroyer Amiral Senes, formerly SMS S-113.
Old 13-04-2012, 23:18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerr View Post
French destroyer Amiral Senes, formerly SMS S-113.
Correct.

Over to you.
Old 14-04-2012, 23:12
Ordinary Seaman

Name and navy plz ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery1.jpg (187.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1a.jpg (1.15 MB, 24 views)
Old 15-04-2012, 07:54
Admiral

Thetis Bay, USN........DFO
Old 15-04-2012, 08:51
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by designeraccd View Post
Thetis Bay, USN........DFO
GEZONKEN
Old 15-04-2012, 13:54
Admiral

Thank you. CLASS NAME and NAVY please..........DFO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg who.jpg (72.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 15-04-2012, 15:43
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by designeraccd View Post
Thank you. CLASS NAME and NAVY please..........DFO

I think it's a Saudi Al Riyadh class frigate
although there is a lot of similarity between a lot of 'stealthy' warships these days.
Old 15-04-2012, 17:00
Admiral

GEEZUNKED! NEXT! This class is fairly distinctive: bow shape, mainmast, "A" gun mount...... DFO
Old 16-04-2012, 07:07
Commodore

try this 'stealth' frigate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery92.jpg (25.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 16-04-2012, 10:00
Ordinary Seaman

INS Shivalik (F47)
Old 16-04-2012, 11:52
Commodore

Quote:
INS Shivalik (F47)
yes indeed
Old 16-04-2012, 12:06
Ordinary Seaman

Name and navy plz ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery1.jpg (28.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1a.jpg (260.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1b.jpg (269.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 16-04-2012, 21:04
Commodore

Quote:
Name and navy plz ?

could be the Brazilian landing ship Duc de caxias.
She was an ex american county type landing ship. It looks as though the cranes were modernised for stulken types.
Also thaat looks like an attempt aat erasing sugar loaf mountain in the background.
Old 16-04-2012, 21:45
Ordinary Seaman

No sugar loaf mountain removed. The mystery ship was built in the country that used it, although it was somewhat based on the De Soto class LST.
Old 17-04-2012, 01:49
Admiral

Argentina's CABO SAN ANTONIO?
Old 17-04-2012, 06:39
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroclus View Post
Argentina's CABO SAN ANTONIO?
GEZONKEN

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 7th January 1935 : HMS Danae : Arrived Cayman Islands

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

The Queen Elizabeth class battleship HMS Malaya is pictured at Capetown in April 1942 en route to Durban from Gibraltar. A veteran of the First World War, Malaya took part in the Battle of Jutland, receiving eight hits, and going on to serve throughout World War Two, surviving a torpedo off Cape Verde in 1941. She is seen here about to recover her Fairey Swordfish floatplane beneath the dramatic outline of Table Mountain.

HMS Malaya at Capetown, South Africa. by Ivan Berryman (Y)
Half Price! - £70.00
B64AP.  HMS Centaur Departing Devonport by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Centaur Departing Devonport by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
One of the most decisive battles in the history of the Royal Navy, Nelsons defeat of the French fleet took place on 21st October 1805 off Cape Trafalgar and was conducted with not a single British ship lost, although few ships escaped severe punishment and loss of life on both sides was tragically high

The Battle of Trafalgar, 21st October 1805 by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £85.00
A class submarine, HMS Anchorite, swings away from the depot ship Adamant during work up exercises in the Firth of Clyde. In the mid fifties the depot ship was moored in Rothesay Bay providing a base for the 3rd Submarine Squadron. Leaving the moorings ahead of Anchorite is the frigate HMS Termagant which will day part in the days exercise.

Group Up- Half Ahead Starboard by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £30.00

The newly converted Command Helicopter Cruiser HMS Blake leaves Grand Harbour Malta at the end of the 1960s.  In the background, the old Submarine Depot ship HMS Forth lies at anchor at the very end of her long career.

HMS Blake by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £3200.00
DHM120.  The Battle of Trafalgar by W Stuart.

The Battle of Trafalgar by William Stuart.
Half Price! - £25.00
 Arguably the most iconic moment in British naval history, <i>HMS Victory</i> is depicted just moments from firing her devastating opening salvo into the stern galleries of the French flagship </i>Bucentaure</i> at Trafalgar as Nelson's flagship enters the fray at approximately 12.30pm on October 21st 1805.  Beyond <i>Victory</i>, in the extreme distance through the gun smoke, Collingwood's <i>Royal Sovereign</i>is engaging the <i>Santa Ana</i>.  To the left of the painting, the French <i>Neptune</i> and Spanish <i>San Justo</i> can be seen with <i>Redoutable</i> immediately beyond <i>Victory</i>, trying vainly to close the gap.  <i>Victory</i>, already shot to pieces, is about to wreak her terrible revenge on the <i>Bucentaure</i> in the foreground where Vice-Admiral Villeneuve can be seen on the poop deck - wearing the green corduroy pantaloons.  Nelson was surely the nemesis of Villeneuve, who had been summarily humiliated some seven years earlier at the Battle of the Nile and Nelson's tactics would again win the day for His Majesty's navy, albeit at the tragic cost of Nelson himself.

Nemesis by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £6500.00
To increase the strength of the US fleet in the Pacific during the critical early months of the war, USS Indiana went through the Panama Canal.  On the 28th of November 1942 USS Indiana joined Rear Admiral Lee's aircraft carrier screening force.  For the next 11 months, USS Indiana helped protect USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga, which had been supporting the US invasion on the Solomon Islands.  On the 21st of October 1943 USS Indiana went to Pearl Harbor, but after only a couple of weeks left to support forces designated for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands.  The battleship protected the carriers which supported the Marines during the bloody fight for Tarawa atoll.  Then, in late January 1944, she bombarded Kwajalein for eight days prior to the  Marshall Island landings on 1st February 1944.  USS Indiana collided with the battleship USS Washington while refuelling destroyers, killing several men.  Temporary repairs to her starboard side were made at Majuro and USS Indiana returned to Pearl Harbor on 13th February 1944 for additional repair work.  The painting shows USS Indiana with one of the two carriers she protected.

USS Indiana, First Tour of Duty by Anthony Saunders (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Monte Carlo - June 1st 2003 and Juan Pablo Montoya put in an outstanding drive, pushing his Williams BMW to victory in the Monaco Grand Prix. His triumph in what is possibly the most prestigious race of the season allowed him to celebrate his first win since Italy in 2001.

Harbour Master by Gerald Coulson. (Y)
Half Price! - £82.50
 England 1 Germany 0, Euro 2000.  On the 17th of June 2000 England once again faced their old nemesis Germany in a Group A qualifying match at Euro 2000.  England entered the game knowing that they had not defeated Germany in a competitive match since the famous World Cup victory in 1966.  Germany made four changes to the side that had drawn with Romania including the introduction of midfielder Sebastian Deisler, whilst England had been forced to replace Tony Adams and Steve McManaman with Martin Keown and Dennis Wise due to injury.  As expected the game started at a frenetic pace and Jancker made things difficult for England's central defenders early on with his height and strength.  England appeared to be lacking cohesion and allowed Germany to take control of the game.  Deisler brought the German crowd to their feet with a clever run down the right hand side and minutes later Hamaan had their first strike on goal which was hit directly at David Seaman.  England were looking for a flash of inspiration and it was very nearly delivered as Michael Owen managed to meet Phil Neville's cross with his head but only managed to direct the ball on to the post.  Paul Scholes in typical fashion drove a ferocious volley, which was tipped just over the bar, and suddenly it appeared that England were beginning to find some weaknesses in certain areas of the German side.  At the interval little separated the two sides however, England started the second half with a steely determination.  After just seven minutes David Beckham earned his side a free kick in a very dangerous position on the England right.  With good movement from the forwards in the German area Beckham swung a speculative cross into the six yard box.  Owen, beaten by the pace, failed to connect but man of the match Alan Shearer anticipated the kind bounce and without hesitation headed the ball back across Kahn and into the right hand side of the German goal.  The England captain had broken the deadlock and instilled in his side the belief that they could finally defeat their oldest rivals.  Germany threw everything they had at England but Keegan's team were equal to the task in every area of the pitch.  As the final whistle blew a huge roar erupted from the England supporters as Alan Shearer's goal had ended over thirty years of frustration and sealed his place in the history books as one of England's greatest ever strikers.

Perfect Finish by Peter Cornwell.
Half Price! - £50.00
B41. Nigel Mansell, McLaren MP4/10/B by Ivan Berryman.

Nigel Mansell, McLaren MP4/10/B by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £40.00
 England 31 - New Zealand 28. Played at Twickenham, November 9th 2002. England : Robinson, Simpson Daniel, Greenwood, Tindall, Cohen, Wilkinson, Dawson, Woodman, Vickery, Thompson, Grewcock, Johnson, Moody, Hill, Dallaglio. (Subs) Back, Healey, B. Johnson, Kay, Leonard, Regan, Stimpson. Scores: Try - Moody, Try - Wilkinson, Try - Cohen, Drop Goal - Wilkinson, 2 Conversions - Wilkinson, 3 Penalties - Wilkinson. <br><br>New Zeland: Blair, Howlett, Lowen, Umaga, Lomu, Spencer, Devine, McDonnell, Meeuws, Hore, Williams, Robinson, Randell, Holah, Broomhall, (Subs) Hayman, Lee, Mealamu, Mehrtens, Mika, Robinsom, So oialo. Scores: 2 Tries - Lomu, Try - Howlett, Try - Lee, 2 Conversions - Blair, 2 Conversions - Mehrtens.

England versus New Zealand - Investec 2002 by Doug Harker. (Y)
Half Price! - £100.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Fokker DR.1 Triplane 425/17 of Manfred von Richthofen, accompanied by a Fokker. D.VII wingman, swoops from a high patrol early in 1918. 425/17 was the aircraft in which the Red Baron finally met his end in April of that year, no fewer than 17 of his victories having been scored in his red-painted triplane.

Final Days by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 In the evening of 18th of July 1941, Alex Thom took off in his No.87 Sqn Hurricane to intercept an enemy aircraft, spotted off the Scilly Isles.  Attacking the enemy Heinkel He111 at an altitude of 1000 feet, his windscreen became covered in oil from the damaged machine.  His wingman F/O Roscoe then also made an attack on the Heinkel, and it descended to sea level, eventually crash landing on the surface.  Thom circled the downed aircraft as the crew hastily took to their dinghy before the Heinkel sank.

Down and Out by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £280.00
In this lovely picture from Graham Bosworth, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) is seen flying past the very famous Boston Stump in Lincolnshire (properly known as St Botolph*#39;s Church).  Called the Boston 'Stump' because the tower was completed over a period of 100 years, appearing as a stump on the horizon (alternative theory is that the tower should have had a spire on top of it and the 'stump' is therefore the base.  St Botolph's is one of the largest parish churches in England.  Founded in 1390, St Botolph's is aiming to raise £3,000,000 by 2009 in time for its 700th birthday and for much-needed restoration.  The BBMF is much beloved by many people of all ages and the sounds of the engines from these World War II aircraft still draws the crowds.  Based at Conningsby in Lincolnshire the formation displays throughout Europe.

Salute to the Stump by Graham Bosworth. (Y)
Half Price! - £30.00
 Undoubtedly one of the truly great Aces of the First World War, William Billy Bishop became celebrated for his technique of actively seeking out the enemy and bringing the fight to him, rather than the more usual practice of patrolling in search of enemy activity. An example of this was his single-handed attack on a German airfield in June 1917 when he destroyed not only a number of aircraft on the ground, but then successfully despatched another seven Albatross scouts that took off to engage him. For this action, he was awarded the Victoria Cross in August 1917 and his final tally when the war ended was 72 confirmed victories. He is depicted here in his Nieuport Scout B1566 in combat with a Pfalz D.III.

Captain William Billy Bishop by Ivan Berryman. (GS)
Half Price! - £290.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

DHM289P.   Arnhem Drop 17th September 1944 by Simon Smith.

Arnhem Drop 17th September 1944 by Simon Smith (P)
Half Price! - £3000.00
 Bastogne, Ardennes, Belgium, 20th December 1944.  Newly arrived 81mm Mortars of 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, fire in support of U.S. Paratroopers defending against German probes to the north of Bastogne.

Fire for Effect by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £70.00
DHM341B. The Battle of Beda Fomm  by David Rowlands.

The Battle of Beda Fomm by David Rowlands (B)
Half Price! - £20.00
 Men of the US 381st Infantry Regiment, 96th Division supported by the tanks of 763rd and 713th Flamethrower Tank Battalions, during the assault on Yaeju Dake. This escarpment, known as Big Apple was the last in a series of tough Japanese defence lines on the south of the Island.

Taking of Big Apple, Okinawa, 10th - 14th June 1945 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00