World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32
Admiral

Default Re: Quiz: Mystery Ship (including Class)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris westwood View Post
I wonder if it's the former HMS Hindustan?
Sorry, no. The HINDUSTAN of 1841 was a wooden ship of the line. The Quiz ship was built of iron and steel vide #18173.
Old 11-04-2012, 16:11
Commodore

I have a feeling she's the Exmouth
Old 11-04-2012, 21:56
Admiral

Quote:
I have a feeling she's the Exmouth
Correct.

HMS EXMOUTH, later the Mercantile Marine training ship WORCESTER (III).

Over to you.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25
Commodore

name and navy please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery92.jpg (30.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 14:57
Chief Petty Officer

I guess it's the Romanian monitor "Basarabia" (ex-"Marx", ex-"Ujvidek", ex-K.u.K. SMS "Inn"), launched in 1915, captured by SU forces in 1944, renamed "Kerch", returned to Romania in 1951 and stricken in 1960.
Old 13-04-2012, 08:17
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemesos View Post
I guess it's the Romanian monitor "Basarabia" (ex-"Marx", ex-"Ujvidek", ex-K.u.K. SMS "Inn"), launched in 1915, captured by SU forces in 1944, renamed "Kerch", returned to Romania in 1951 and stricken in 1960.

I'm afraid not
Old 13-04-2012, 09:18
Admiral

Yugoslavia's DRAVA?
Old 13-04-2012, 13:19
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroclus View Post
Yugoslavia's DRAVA?

that's the fella.
Originally Serbian
Old 13-04-2012, 20:46
Admiral

Quote:
that's the fella.
Originally Serbian

Thank you.

Name, please:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mys030.jpg (106.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 13-04-2012, 23:12
Ordinary Seaman

French destroyer Amiral Senes, formerly SMS S-113.
Old 13-04-2012, 23:18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerr View Post
French destroyer Amiral Senes, formerly SMS S-113.
Correct.

Over to you.
Old 14-04-2012, 23:12
Ordinary Seaman

Name and navy plz ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery1.jpg (187.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1a.jpg (1.15 MB, 24 views)
Old 15-04-2012, 07:54
Admiral

Thetis Bay, USN........DFO
Old 15-04-2012, 08:51
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by designeraccd View Post
Thetis Bay, USN........DFO
GEZONKEN
Old 15-04-2012, 13:54
Admiral

Thank you. CLASS NAME and NAVY please..........DFO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg who.jpg (72.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 15-04-2012, 15:43
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by designeraccd View Post
Thank you. CLASS NAME and NAVY please..........DFO

I think it's a Saudi Al Riyadh class frigate
although there is a lot of similarity between a lot of 'stealthy' warships these days.
Old 15-04-2012, 17:00
Admiral

GEEZUNKED! NEXT! This class is fairly distinctive: bow shape, mainmast, "A" gun mount...... DFO
Old 16-04-2012, 07:07
Commodore

try this 'stealth' frigate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery92.jpg (25.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 16-04-2012, 10:00
Ordinary Seaman

INS Shivalik (F47)
Old 16-04-2012, 11:52
Commodore

Quote:
INS Shivalik (F47)
yes indeed
Old 16-04-2012, 12:06
Ordinary Seaman

Name and navy plz ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery1.jpg (28.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1a.jpg (260.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg mystery1b.jpg (269.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 16-04-2012, 21:04
Commodore

Quote:
Name and navy plz ?

could be the Brazilian landing ship Duc de caxias.
She was an ex american county type landing ship. It looks as though the cranes were modernised for stulken types.
Also thaat looks like an attempt aat erasing sugar loaf mountain in the background.
Old 16-04-2012, 21:45
Ordinary Seaman

No sugar loaf mountain removed. The mystery ship was built in the country that used it, although it was somewhat based on the De Soto class LST.
Old 17-04-2012, 01:49
Admiral

Argentina's CABO SAN ANTONIO?
Old 17-04-2012, 06:39
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroclus View Post
Argentina's CABO SAN ANTONIO?
GEZONKEN

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 30th January 1939 : HMS Aurania : Sailed the Clyde on Northern Patrol dutie

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Arguably the most iconic moment in British naval history, <i>HMS Victory</i> is depicted just moments from firing her devastating opening salvo into the stern galleries of the French flagship </i>Bucentaure</i> at Trafalgar as Nelson's flagship enters the fray at approximately 12.30pm on October 21st 1805.  Beyond <i>Victory</i>, in the extreme distance through the gun smoke, Collingwood's <i>Royal Sovereign</i>is engaging the <i>Santa Ana</i>.  To the left of the painting, the French <i>Neptune</i> and Spanish <i>San Justo</i> can be seen with <i>Redoutable</i> immediately beyond <i>Victory</i>, trying vainly to close the gap.  <i>Victory</i>, already shot to pieces, is about to wreak her terrible revenge on the <i>Bucentaure</i> in the foreground where Vice-Admiral Villeneuve can be seen on the poop deck - wearing the green corduroy pantaloons.  Nelson was surely the nemesis of Villeneuve, who had been summarily humiliated some seven years earlier at the Battle of the Nile and Nelson's tactics would again win the day for His Majesty's navy, albeit at the tragic cost of Nelson himself.

Nemesis by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £6500.00
Two F14 Tomcats of VF-1 pass in close formation over the stern of the veteran USS Ranger (CV-61)

USS Ranger by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £295.00
 Spearheading the Falklands Task Force as it heads south in 1982, the carrier HMS Hermes is shown in company with two Type 21 frigates, HMS Arrow on the left and HMS Ardent in the near foreground.  In the far distance, HMS Glamorgan glints in the sun as Type 42 HMS Sheffield cuts across behind Hermes.

HMS Hermes by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 Built in Barrow-in-Furness and the 7th and last of the Trafalgar class of British submarines, HMS Triumph is one of the most modern and potent vessels of her kind.  Selected in March 2011 to take part in the coalition suppression of Colonel Gadaffi's attacks against his own people, HMS Triumph fired a number of TLAMs (Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles) aimed at air defence targets on the Libyan mainland at the outset of coalition operations, helping to reduce the threat of air attacks by the Libyan Air Force.

HMS Triumph by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00

The pride of the British fleet, The Mighty Hood as she was known, was launched in 1918.  Weighing in at over 40,000 tons she was 860 feet long and had eight 15 inch guns, at her launch she was more than a match for any adversary.  Hood sailed the world in the inter-war years and was admired in every foreign port she visited, however with a lack of major refits in this time the second world war found the Hood unprepared for a major battle,  On the 24th of May 1941 the German battleship Bismarck found Hoods achilles heel within only a few salvos, namely her inadequate deck armour.  Hood exploded in a huge fireball from which only three sailors survived.  Here HMS Hood is seen with Force H in the Mediterranean.  Winston Churchill knew that the powerful French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir could fall into German hands at any time and that the threat had to be removed by any means.  On the 3rd of July 1940 the French fleet was duly dispatched by Force H.  The Strasbourg being the only French battleship able to make her escape.  Hodd is depicted opening fire at 17.55 hours with the battleships Resolution and the destroyer HMS Foxhound to her stern.

HMS Hood - Operation Catapult by Anthony Saunders (P)
Half Price! - £3200.00
 Between 24th may and 4th June 1940 an extraordinary armada of craft, large and small, naval and civilian, embarked on one of the greatest rescue missions in history. the evacuation of 330,000 British and French troops from the beaches of Dunkirk in northern France. the destroyer HMS Wakeful dominates the foreground here as troops pour onto the beaches and harbour moles in search of salvation. Both Wakeful and distant HMS Grafton were lost during the evacuation.

Dunkirk by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 HMS Benbow was completed in 1914, built by Beardmore (launched 12th November 1913). On the 10th of December she joined the Grand Fleet serving with the 4th Battle squadron. She was the flagship to Admiral Douglas Gamble until he was replaced in February 1915 by Sir Doveton Sturdee. During  the Battle of Jutland. she suffered no damage. After the war she served from 1919 in the Mediterranean providing Gun fire support to the white Russians in the Black Sea until 1920. She remained in the Mediterranean until 1926 joining the Atlantic fleet for the next three years until 1929 when she was paid off and scrapped in March 1931.

HMS Benbow at the Battle of Jutland by Anthony Saunders. 
Half Price! - £85.00
Bismarck, now complete and newly painted in full Baltic camouflage, returns to Hamburg for the last time as the harsh winter of 1940/41 relents and the pride of the German Kriegsmarine prepares for real action.  In the distance, the pre-Dreadnought Schleswig-Holstein awaits her next commission, the old ship alternating between vital ice-breaker and air defence duties at this time.  The Bismarck would in May 1941 put to sea and engage and sink HMS Hood only to be caught by the British battleships Rodney and King George V.  Bismarck was pounded into a floating wreck, finally being sunk by the torpedoes of HMS Dorsetshire.  From her crew of 2300 only 110 would be rescued by HMS Dorsetshire and HMS Maori.

Bismarck Entering Hamburg Harbour by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

England Captain martin Johnson lifts the World Rugby Cup, as winners of the 2003 World Rugby Cup in Australia.

Martin Johnson by Chris Howells.
Half Price! - £45.00
PDB3.  Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Lenox Lewis II by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £41.00
 England 53 - South Africa 3, Twickenham, Novermber 23rd 2002. England: Robinson, Cohen, Tindall, Greenwood, Christophers, Wilkinson, Dawson, Vickery, Leonard, Thompson, Johnson, Kay, Moody, Back, Hill. (Subs): Dallaglio, Gomersall, Healey, Morris, Regan, Stimpson. Scores: Try - Cohen, 2 Tries - Greenwood, Try - Back, Try - Hill, Try - Dallaglio, Penalty Try, 2 Penalties - Wilkinson, Conversion - Wilkinson, Conversion - Dawson, 2 Conversions - Gomersall, 2 Conversions - Stimpson. <br><br>South Africa: Greef, Paulse, Fleck, James, Lombard, Pretorius, Conradie, Roux, Dalton, Venter, Lambuschagne, Krige, Wannenburg, Van Niekerk. (Subs): Jacobs, Jordaan, Russell, Uys, Van Biljon, Van der Linde, Wentzel. Score : Penalty - Pretorius.

England v South Africa - Investec 2002 by Doug Harker. (Y)
Half Price! - £100.00

Jason Leonard by Robert Highton. (Y)
Half Price! - £80.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

A Mosquito Mk.BIX above the clouds in late 1943. Mosquito B.IX LR503 holds the record for the most combat missions flown by a single Allied bomber in the Second World War, serving 213 sorties.

A De Havilland Beauty by Ivan Berryman. (C)
Half Price! - £45.00
Depicting two B17s from 92nd bomb group having joined a lone B24 from 93rd. In the background, the distinctive triangles on the tails of the two aircraft denote membership to the 303rd BG.

Motley Crew by Tim Fisher.
Half Price! - £35.00
 An ignominious end for an Albatros C.III demands an act of compassion by a British medical team who are first on the scene of a crash in the early years of World War 1.

Not All Landings Are Good Landings by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £70.00
 Wing Commander J R Baldwin is depicted flying Typhoon MN934 whilst commanding 146 Wing, 84 Group operating from Needs Oar Point in 1944, en route to a bombing raid on 20th June with other Typhoons of 257 Sqn in which both ends of a railway tunnel full of German supplies were successfully sealed.

Typhoons Over Normandy by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £90.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Pioneers were among the first British troops to land on the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, by 1st August 1944 there were over 35,500 pioneers in Normandy. The painting shows the various activities of the pioneers during the D-Day landings.

Sword Beach by Terence Cuneo.
Half Price! - £50.00
DHM1166P.  General Erwin Rommel with the Africa Korps before the Battle for Tobruk  by Chris Collingwood.

General Erwin Rommel with the Africa Korps before the Battle for Tobruk by Chris Collingwood. (P)
Half Price! - £7000.00
 Troops of the 1st Hampshires assaulting Gold Beach during the Normandy Landings. Gold beach was one of the British beaches on D-Day. Gold beach was the western most beach of the British beaches, on D-Day. Gold beach was between two twenty metre high cliffs where German fortifications had been built. The beach had been protected by concrete casemates which took some time to break through. This happened with support form British tanks in the afternoon of D-day 6th June. The British tanks and reinforcements moved off the beaches towards Saint-Come-de-Fresene and Arromanches which were both liberated by 9pm.

D-Day Gold Beach, 6th June 1944 by Simon Smith. (Y)
Half Price! - £55.00
Leading 30th Corps assault across the Seine at Vernon, 43rd Wessex Division gained an initial foothold on the east bank.  Heroic efforts however by the Royal Engineers of 71st, 72nd and 73rd Field Companies, succeeded in constructing a Class 9 Bailey bridge (David, shown left) and a Second Class 40 bridge (Goliath, shown right)  Despite constant enemy fire this amazing feat was achieved in only 2 days, and allowed 15/19th Hussars Cromwells and 4.7th Dragoons Guards Shermans to cross just in time to repulse a serious German counter attack by Tiger IIs of SS Panzer Abteilung 101.

David and Goliath, Vernon, France, 27th August 1944 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00