World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF NAVAL ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Member Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Member Articles Naval articles submitted by our community members.

Old 13-04-2012, 21:26
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.
Default Publicity Posters from the past.

I came across these publicity posters which I thought would be of interest to some members.

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackburn.JPG (104.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Blackburn Aircraft.JPG (106.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol.JPG (117.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol Aircraft.JPG (115.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol...JPG (89.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol.....JPG (125.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol.......JPG (123.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fairey.JPG (96.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Fairey...JPG (16.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Fairey.....JPG (89.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Gloster.JPG (110.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Gloster Aircraft.JPG (83.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Gloster...JPG (113.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Lodge.JPG (103.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Rolls-Royce.JPG (84.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg The Bristol Aeroplane Co.JPG (111.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg The Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd.JPG (130.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Vickers.JPG (125.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Fiat Aviazione 1917.JPG (114.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Fiat Aviazione 1940.JPG (102.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fiat Idrovolante.JPG (99.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-04-2012, 08:29
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Publicity Posters from the past.

Thanks Bob - very good!! - it's interesting to see that they were proud of their engines as well as their aircraft - if anyone wonders what an air cooled radial engine looked like then those pictures tell all!!

Best regards

T
Old 14-04-2012, 12:00
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
I came across these publicity posters which I thought would be of interest to some members.

Bob.
Superb, Bob. Thanks for posting these wonderful images!

Andy.

(A proper Old Stoker.)

OLD SHIPS: VANGUARD, CHAPLET, VIGILANT, ROEBUCK, PALLISER (x2), DIANA, TIGER, CENTAUR, EAGLE, BELFAST,
GANGES, RALEIGH, COCHRANE, SULTAN, TERROR, INSKIP, ROYAL ARTHUR, VICTORY, AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING UNIT, ROYAL MARINES. (Poole.)
Old 14-04-2012, 17:06
Banned

Cracking collection Bob; and I am just old enough to remember some of them, particularly the Gloster Gladiator

jainso31
Old 14-04-2012, 20:33
Vice-Admiral

Thanks Bob, great images of bygone times. I can remember being taken by my parents to a park with stalls, about 1938. It was some sort holiday gathering. I remember the crowd all looking skywards & going Ho, Ha! in awe as three biplanes flew overhead, I expect they were doing less than a 100mph. How times change.
Old 24-04-2012, 19:09
Rear-Admiral

A great collection of images! Thanks!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 9th January 1938 : HMS Bridgewater : Arrived Lourenco Marques

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

B111.  The Pursuit of the Graf Spee by Ivan Berryman.

The Pursuit of the Graf Spee by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
HMS Ark Royal after a recent refit, rejoins the fleet in 2001.

HMS Ark Royal by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 The Dido class cruiser HMS Naiad is pictured together with the cruiser HMS Leander during the encounter with the French Guepard in 1941 whilst they were both engaged in operations against the Vichy-French forces in Syria.

HMS Naiad by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
The R-class battleship Royal Oak lies at anchor in Scapa Flow between the wars ahead of her sisters Royal Sovereign and Revenge. HMS Repulse is passing the line on the left of the picture.
HMS Royal Oak by Ivan Berryman. (B)
Half Price! - £13.00

The submarine depot ship HMS Maidstone is pictured off Hong Kong with a quintet of British submarines alongside for replenishment, namely (left to right) an S-class, a U-class, a T-class and two more U-class.

HMS Maidstone by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 The mighty Tirpitz demonstrates the effectiveness of her splinter camouflage, surrounded by her net defences at Kaafjord in the Winter of 1943-44.

Tirpitz in Kaafjord by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £40.00
One of the most decisive battles in the history of the Royal Navy, Nelsons defeat of the French fleet took place on 21st October 1805 off Cape Trafalgar and was conducted with not a single British ship lost, although few ships escaped severe punishment and loss of life on both sides was tragically high

The Battle of Trafalgar, 21st October 1805 by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £85.00
Swordfish of 825 Sqn led by Lt-Cdr Esmonde begin their heroic attack on the battlescruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen as they make their way up the English Channel from Brest during Operation Cerberus on 12th February 1942.  Although all the aircraft were lost and no significant damage was done to the German fleet, all the pilots were decorated for their bravery and Lt-Cdr Esmonde received the first Fleet Air Arm VC to be awarded, albeit posthumously.  The painting depicts the first wave of Swordfish attacking the Scharnhorst with Gneisenau taking avoiding action in the distance.  A German torpedo boat has turned to confront the attacking aircraft.

Attack on the Scharnhorst by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

2003 World Superbike Champion, Neil Hodgson with James Toseland in his slipstream.  British World Superbike - June 2003. 
Battle of Britain by Dave Foord.
Half Price! - £130.00
A montage of moments from the outstanding Welsh 6 Nation Championship Grand Slam Victory of 2005.
The Perfect Year - Wales Grand Slam Champions 2005 by Darren Baker. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 It was Saturday 4th May 2002, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.  Wonderful goals by Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg for Arsenal were too much for their London rivals Chelsea to capture the FA Cup.  Four days later, on Wednesday 8th, Arsenal rode into Old Trafford.  This time a goal by Sylvain Wiltord on his 100th appearance for the club was enough for Arsene Wenger's team to overcome Manchester United and clinch the Premiership title, maintaining a record of scoring in every league game of the season.  For the second time in four years under their long-serving and inspirational captain Tony Adams, Arsenal had performed the classic double of English football, the third in their history making 2001-02, a season never to be forgotten.

The Double 2001 / 2002 by Gary Keane. (Y)
Half Price! - £65.00
 England 31 - New Zealand 28. Played at Twickenham, November 9th 2002. England : Robinson, Simpson Daniel, Greenwood, Tindall, Cohen, Wilkinson, Dawson, Woodman, Vickery, Thompson, Grewcock, Johnson, Moody, Hill, Dallaglio. (Subs) Back, Healey, B. Johnson, Kay, Leonard, Regan, Stimpson. Scores: Try - Moody, Try - Wilkinson, Try - Cohen, Drop Goal - Wilkinson, 2 Conversions - Wilkinson, 3 Penalties - Wilkinson. <br><br>New Zeland: Blair, Howlett, Lowen, Umaga, Lomu, Spencer, Devine, McDonnell, Meeuws, Hore, Williams, Robinson, Randell, Holah, Broomhall, (Subs) Hayman, Lee, Mealamu, Mehrtens, Mika, Robinsom, So oialo. Scores: 2 Tries - Lomu, Try - Howlett, Try - Lee, 2 Conversions - Blair, 2 Conversions - Mehrtens.

England versus New Zealand - Investec 2002 by Doug Harker. (Y)
Half Price! - £100.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

One of the most advanced aircraft of World War II, the AR234 with its twin turbojets could carry out its high altitude reconnaissance or bombing duties at speed which made interception by Allied aircraft virtually impossible.
Luftwaffe Arado 234 B-2 by Barry Price.
Half Price! - £30.00
 It was in 1941 that the remarkable Focke-Wulfe FW190 first appeared in the skies of Europe, quickly establishing itself as a most formidable adversary. It proved to be the supreme weapon against all allied bomber forces. Here FW190A-8 of 1 Gruppe, Jagdgesschwader 1 is shown attacking a B17G of 381st Bomb Group during a critical defence of the Reich in 1944.

Cat Among the Pigeons (FW190) by Ivan Berryman. (D)
Half Price! - £80.00
 On the night of 12th September 1944, Lancaster NF958 (LS-M) of No.15 Sqn was lost in the skies above Mannheim when it was attacked by the Messerschmitt Bf.110G-2 of Ofw Ludwig Schmidt of II/NGJ 6, the bomber receiving hits to the bomb bay which ignited the incendiaries still in their racks.  Five of the crew bailed out and were taken prisoner of war once captured.  The pilot, F/O Norman Overend RNZAF, did not escape the aircraft.  Flt Sgt Harry A Beverton was seen to leave the stricken Lancaster but was not seen again.<br><br><b>Crew of <i>Lancaster LS-M</i> :</b><br><br>F/O Norman Overend RNZAF<br>Sgt Barry J Howarth <i>(survived)</i><br>Sgt George B Thomson <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt John D Jones <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt Robert P E Kendall <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt Harry A Beverton<br>Sgt I Spagatner <i>(survived)</i>.

Incident over Mannheim by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £60.00
 A pair of De Havilland Mosquito NF. MkII night fighters of 23 Squadron, based at Bradwell Bay, Essex in 1942.

Night Raiders by Ivan Berryman. (C)
Half Price! - £110.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

1st Battalion in action at Escaut Canal, Belgium, May 1940. The last Highland Regiment to wear a kilt in battle, attacking the Germans at the River Escaut.  From the Diary of Captain R. Leah, 1st Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders : Tuesday 21st May : Bn left Ere about 2 a.m. to march back. Fortunately Coy Cmdr. were required for some sort of recce and we went in C.O.s car.  Arrived Taintignies 3 a.m. and self went out again with Wilkie in C.O.s car to look for for C Coy which had gone astray, and to see Q.M. about Bn rations in Wez-Velvain.  Could not find either.  Met the Battalion arriving from Ere when I left the village at 3 a.m.  Got back myself at 4 a.m. found empty house which I entered by window and slept well for 5 hours. Officers mess going in house beside M.T. park, and had good breakfast.  Fairly quiet morning and orders to move this afternoon to Bn assembly position S of Wez-Velvain.  Thence we were directed to Merlin and prepared for counter-attack to drive enemy off Western side of Escaut.

The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders by David Rowlands (C)
Half Price! - £20.00
 King Tigers of Kampfgruppe von Rosen, 3rd Company Heavy Tank Battalion 503, preparing to move out from the Tisza bridgehead to counter Soviet pressure on German forces attacking to the northwest at Debrecen during the first battles to defend the Hungarian capital of Budapest.

Tigers in the Mist by David Pentland. (B)
Half Price! - £120.00
 Braving intense enemy fire, Lt. Col. RB Mayne, Commanding Officer 1st SAS Regiment devastated a German ambush and subsequently rescued wounded troops of his own unit who had been pinned down while on a reconnaissance mission for the 4th Canadian Armoured Division.

Paddys Fourth DSO, The Olderburg Raid, 9th April 1945 by David Pentland. (GS)
Half Price! - £250.00
 German forces encircled in the fortress town of Konigsberg by 3rd Ukranian front prepare to break through the besieging Soviet lines to re-establish a supply line to the Baltic. Here some Stug III assault guns move up to their assembly area next to the towns World War One memorial. From here the attack was launched on February 18th 1945 and successfully opened a supply corridor which remained in place until 8th April.

Counter Attack at Konigsberg by David Pentland. (B)
Half Price! - £60.00