World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-03-2012, 18:16
Able Seaman

Default Re: HMS Victorious

will take to Sandys Monday and ask him to send it to you
Robby :
Old 31-03-2012, 18:26
Able Seaman

Sorry IVOR
I saw the main H.M. S. VICTORIOUS BATTLE HONORS
and ship crest will send snapshot MONDAY

ROBBY
Old 31-03-2012, 18:41
Commander

http://www.barrylockyer.com/hms_victorious.htm
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse View Post

Thank you Scouse ..... Very interesting ....How was your Watch today

anyone ditched
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36
Admiral

Well Great Day for a Maiden Voyage ...............

Like most Maiden Voyages ....loads of Hick cups .....some damage and a lot of lessons learn't about your Model
Like you gang the club was very complimentary and helped me a lot with launch and recovery

I did a "Sandy" whilst getting back to the car and my Model slid off the trolly and damaged the Rudder but have not had a chance yet to see how badly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS100859.JPG (997.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SS100860.JPG (993.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SS100858.JPG (195.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SS100855.JPG (990.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg SS100854.JPG (961.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 15:40
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Well Great Day for a Maiden Voyage ...............

Like most Maiden Voyages ....loads of Hick cups .....some damage and a lot of lessons learn't about your Model
Like you gang the club was very complimentary and helped me a lot with launch and recovery

I did a "Sandy" whilst getting back to the car and my Model slid off the trolly and damaged the Rudder but have not had a chance yet to see how badly
She is looking good Ivor, mishaps always appen on sea trials but that is what sea trials are all about - find it , fix it and back on the water.

Looks like a "Wee Nip" yacht in pix 5 - am in the middle of building one now - oops, that has put "Britannia" on the back boiler YET again. Hakuna Matata - we will get there eeeeeeeeeeeeventually.

Dave H
Old 01-04-2012, 18:14
Admiral

Hi Ivor, well thats half the battle,she floats looks ok for waterline, but it is always wise to keep thing as light as pos. Look forward to the rest of the build
Jim
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegaskip View Post
Hi Ivor, well thats half the battle,she floats looks ok for waterline, but it is always wise to keep thing as light as pos. Look forward to the rest of the build
Jim
Thanks Jim ,

Its funny but all the time I have worked on her she seemed massive and cumbersome .
Took her down to the water and a few feet off the shoreline .....she was just another boat in the water ..............Perspective
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
She is looking good Ivor, mishaps always appen on sea trials but that is what sea trials are all about - find it , fix it and back on the water.

Looks like a "Wee Nip" yacht in pix 5 - am in the middle of building one now - oops, that has put "Britannia" on the back boiler YET again. Hakuna Matata - we will get there eeeeeeeeeeeeventually.

Dave H
Well the day started off will and slowly got worse
The hatch's that I had made for the lifts / access ..had buckled even though they were painted both sides ...so no hatches

to my surprise I managed to get all the kit and trolly into the Car .....got to the lake and the Ariel mast broke off the Island unit

I had decided to use the trolly mentioned in earlier posts due to her size .......not wanting to risk lifting her in case the weight of the batteries broke her back......that worked out fine and she entered the water at the right angle ............but as the trolly has no brakes on it ....it was a fight to hold on to it and gingerly cast her adrift

She handled beautifully and in spite of her size she turned very well with the much larger Rudder size ...and the fact that the ESC [Electronic Speed Control] reacts to rudder input and slows down/stops one prop and accelerates the other depending on how much rudder you give her

Retrieving her was easy with help from other modellers ...but un route back to the car there are some tree roots to engage where willing hands pulling..... and tree roots projecting ...met and the stern parted company with the trolly and bounced on her rudder whilst all the lead Acid batteries were still inboard

This won't happen a second time as I have now fitted "Cow Horns" to the trolly fore and aft ...and the batteries will be removed once ashore

She was in the water about two hours , and when I started stripping her back down found about half a cup full of water sloshing about
The oiling point for the prop shafts have rubber feed pipes fitted to them which finish well above water level ...so can't think that there was any water creep seeping up the shafts

Sorry about pictures but difficult to control boat / watch out for others and focus the camera all at the same time whilst giving the appearance of being cool calm and collected
Old 02-04-2012, 07:15
Admiral

For give my bad manners Robby ....look forward to receiving that detail

I was impressed at the turn of speed she managed and had to try hard to resist opening her up fully

Lets just say that at one point she was keeping up with some MCB patrol boats whizzing around the lake ....but she did not look very dignified going around at that speed
Old 02-04-2012, 08:44
Admiral

Thanks for the narrative Ivor - looks like sea trials went well until retrieving. Happens to us all mate. You may have taken that drop of oggin up the propshafts when going astern which is the usual problem - but then again the tiniest of leaks can be a bugger to find.

Nevertheless - good work.

Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 14:40
Commodore

Quote:
For give my bad manners Robby ....look forward to receiving that detail

I was impressed at the turn of speed she managed and had to try hard to resist opening her up fully

Lets just say that at one point she was keeping up with some MCB patrol boats whizzing around the lake ....but she did not look very dignified going around at that speed

Well as I recall, she had to have a 30knot wind over the flight deck to launch the aircraft, memory is a tad muddled after fifty five years, but I recall she did thirty something knots during the speed trials on the measured mile on the Clyde in Feb 1958.

One of the finest shots of her, sorry if it has been posted before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victorious_R38_workup_speed_trials_aran_1958.jpg (46.1 KB, 28 views)
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 02-04-2012, 19:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Thanks for the narrative Ivor - looks like sea trials went well until retrieving. Happens to us all mate. You may have taken that drop of oggin up the propshafts when going astern which is the usual problem - but then again the tiniest of leaks can be a bugger to find.

Nevertheless - good work.

Dave
You may have a point there Dave twice I had to take avoiding action to avoid fellow modelers not watching what they were doing
so emergency reverse
Old 02-04-2012, 19:19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybiker View Post
Well as I recall, she had to have a 30knot wind over the flight deck to launch the aircraft, memory is a tad muddled after fifty five years, but I recall she did thirty something knots during the speed trials on the measured mile on the Clyde in Feb 1958.

One of the finest shots of her, sorry if it has been posted before.

Thanks Barry , great picture ............but distinct lack of aircraft on deck............

bit like my Maiden voyage on Sunday which is why it was going like a bat out of hell...when well out of the way of the other's .....well down the lake
Old 02-04-2012, 23:30
Commodore

Quote:
Thanks Barry , great picture ............but distinct lack of aircraft on deck............

bit like my Maiden voyage on Sunday which is why it was going like a bat out of hell...when well out of the way of the other's .....well down the lake
Yes maiden voyage, just a seahawk lifted on by crane to teach the baby wafoos how to handle them and two choppers for mail, unfortunately they crashed one of them and it killed one of the baby wafoos, with flying metal debris.
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 04-04-2012, 14:44
Admiral

Ok Compromise just for Scouse ..................broken lines now .

Took the Fleet Air Arm out to see what I had and how they would look

They will all need to be sprayed in Fleet Air Arm colours and alterations made to each type .............so no change there Eh ....in keeping with the rest of the model ...........but hey all model makers must have a sadistic streak in them to take it up in the first place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS100866.JPG (974.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SS100864.JPG (966.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 16:16
Commander

Luvley jubely... I'm a happy bunny, let's have that Sea Vixen on deck!!!! and no room on board at 801 squadron, for a crab buccaneer
Old 04-04-2012, 16:47
Commander

Ps you could put in a Twin 4.5 on the green bit next to the angle flight deck iirc
Old 04-04-2012, 19:14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse View Post
Ps you could put in a Twin 4.5 on the green bit next to the angle flight deck iirc
Careful Scouse ..............people will think you are biased

She had twin 3" turrets I believe Scouse , but they are still on the "To Do " list one Port and Starboard forard and two Starboard one Port aft not sure about the gun Directors as these were American guns with a radar beside the Barrels on each turret
Old 04-04-2012, 19:18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybiker View Post
Yes maiden voyage, just a seahawk lifted on by crane to teach the baby wafoos how to handle them and two choppers for mail, unfortunately they crashed one of them and it killed one of the baby wafoos, with flying metal debris.

Thank you Barry wondered why she was so bare

Poor Sods .................short life span on Carriers it would seem
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45
Admiral

OK a few more to keep you up to date with progress lads

did not stay at the lake for long today as it was raining so just a couple of shots and one of the Mark 2 launching equipment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS100872.JPG (363.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Mark 2 Launcher.JPG (1.16 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SS100886.JPG (68.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SS100878.JPG (1,000.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-04-2012, 23:25
Forum Moderator.

I'm afraid their Lordships will be most displeased to hear of the docking accident, and I expect that their will be much gold braid about to point fingers and chastise. CinC Home may well be involved. However, delighted to hear that your ship handled very well at sea and met the goals of first trials. Looks stunning on the water, and you must be very proud. BZ on that!

I'm sure the yard longshoremen will have many suggestions regarding better securing of the vessel when out of her element!

"With 2000 years of examples behind us we have no excuse, when fighting, for not fighting well." T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58
Vice-Admiral

Post Re: HMS Victorious

Ivor,

OH MY!!! Watch a sight to behold. Outstanding workmanship mate.....She looks really good making way,even tho it's on the lake.

Well Done!

Regards
Charles
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boyer View Post
I'm afraid their Lordships will be most displeased to hear of the docking accident, and I expect that their will be much gold braid about to point fingers and chastise. CinC Home may well be involved. However, delighted to hear that your ship handled very well at sea and met the goals of first trials. Looks stunning on the water, and you must be very proud. BZ on that!

I'm sure the yard longshoremen will have many suggestions regarding better securing of the vessel when out of her element!

Thank you Don ,

CinC Home fleet placed me on denial of privileges and tots for 48 hours

As you can see loads more to do Yet
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGRET View Post
Ivor,

OH MY!!! Watch a sight to behold. Outstanding workmanship mate.....She looks really good making way,even tho it's on the lake.

Well Done!

Regards
Charles
Thank you so much Charles , praise indeed ...gladly received and grateful for it
I hope to get smoke generator and sound effects up and running soon then if nothing else she will start to look the part

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1934 : HMS Dauntless : Arrived Port Said

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Captain Charles Vane was born in 1680, and was an English pirate who preyed upon English and French shipping.  Vane began piracy in 1716 and lasted 3 years. Vane captured a Barbados sloop and then a large 12-gun brigantine, which he renamed the Ranger.   Vane was among the pirate captains who operated out of the Bohama at the notorious base at New Providence after the colony had been abandoned by the British.  His pirate attacks made Captain Charles Vane well known to the Royal Navy and in February of 1718 Vincent Pearse, commander of HMS Phoenix cornered Vane on his ship the Lark.  Vane  had heard of the recent royal pardons that had been offered to pirates in exchange for a guarantee they would quit plundering, so Vane claimed he had actually been en route to surrender to Pearse and accepted the pardon on the spot,  Charle Vane gained his freedom but as soon as he was free of Pearse he ignored the pardon and resumed his pirate ways.  Charles Vane was again captured and in 1721 was executed by hanging at Gallows Point, Port Royal, Jamaica on March 29th 1721.

Captain Charles Vane by Chris Collingwood.
Half Price! - 40.00
HMS Glowworm, burning severely after receiving hits from the mighty Admiral Hipper, is depicted turning to begin her heroic sacrifice off the Norwegian coast on 8th April 1940. Hugely out-gunned and already crippled, Glowworms captain, Lieutenant-Commander Roope rammed his destroyer into the side of the Admiral Hipper, inflicting a 40 metre rip in its armour belt before drifting away and exploding. 38 British sailors were rescued from the sea and Roope was awarded a posthumous VC for his bravery, the first earned by the Royal Navy in WWII.

The attack on the Admiral Hipper by HMS Glowworm by Ivan Berryman (Y)
Half Price! - 70.00
On 17th June 1944, 780 miles west of Saipan in Mid Pacific, the Gato class submarine USS Cavalla dives after a lucky sighting of a Japanese Naval Task Force, which included the aircraft carriers Taiho, Shokaku and Zuikaku. The Cavalla then trailed the Japanese, attacking and sinking the Shokaku on the 19th.

A Chance Encounter by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - 35.00
The Brethren of the Coast or the Brethren, was a loose coalition of pirates and privateers also known as Buccaneers who operated during the 1600s and 1700s in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico and also in the Atlantic Ocean.  They were a syndicate of pirate captains with letters of marque and reprisal who regulated their privateering enterprises within the community of privateers.
Brethren of the Coast by Chris Collingwood. (Y)
Half Price! - 40.00

Fully dressed and resplendent, HMS Hood is pictured preparing for King George Vs review of the Fleet in July 1935 as other capital ships take up their positions around her. Ramillies can be seen off Hoods port bow, Resolution astern, whilst just beyond her boat deck, the mighty Nelson gently nudges into position.

HMS Hood by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - 2900.00
HMS Prince of Wales is shown firing on the Bismarck and in the background a huge black cloud is all that is left of HMS Hood.

HMS Prince of Wales by Brian Wood (C)
Half Price! - 20.00
 Type 21 frigate HMS Ambuscade (F172) is shown passing the swing bridge as she enters Taranto Harbour.

HMS Ambuscade by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - 500.00
 In support of the American landings at Utah and Omaha beaches, the USS Texas slugs it out with German heavy gun emplacements during the D-Day landings.

Gunline Omaha - USS Texas by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - 75.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Colin McRae and Nicky Grist.  Ford Focus WRC
High Flier by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 30.00
 Three Steps To Heaven pays tribute to one of the greatest strikers to play for Liverpool and in particular, the historic Cup treble in 2001. It contains details of the FA Cup triumph over Arsenal, Worthington Cup win over Birmingham City and the unforgettable 5-4 defeat of Spanish side Alaves to complete the cup treble and bring back the UEFA Cup to Merseyside.

Three Steps to Heaven by Robert Highton. (Y)
Half Price! - 72.00
 Depicting Englands emphatic 1995 grand slam victory.

1995 Grand Slam by Scott Bridges. (Y)
Half Price! - 80.00

Patrick Vieira by Gary Brandham. (Y)
Half Price! - 72.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

The Hawker Hurricane powered by the powerful Rolls Royce Merlin engine is shown in combat with Luftwaffe aircraft during the Battle of Britain. The Hurricane played a major role in the aerial victory along with its companion the Spitfire.

Merlin Roar by Anthony Saunders. (F)
Half Price! - 50.00

A Tribute to the Few by Roy Garner. (Y)
Half Price! - 33.00
 Ju 52s deploy German Paratroopers during the assault on Crete (operation Mercure) 1942.

Falling Angels by Tim Fisher.
Half Price! - 35.00
 The Queen Elizabeth class battleship HMS Malaya is pictured at Capetown in April 1942 en route to Durban from Gibraltar. A veteran of the First World War, Malaya took part in the Battle of Jutland, receiving eight hits, and going on to serve throughout World War Two, surviving a torpedo off Cape Verde in 1941. She is seen here about to recover her Fairey Swordfish floatplane beneath the dramatic outline of Table Mountain.

HMS Malaya at Capetown, South Africa. by Ivan Berryman (Y)
Half Price! - 70.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Ernst Barkmanns (Das Reich, 2nd SS Panzer Division) famous day long solo engagement against an American Armoured breakthrough towards St. Lo, Normandy, 26th July 1944.

Barkmanns Corner by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - 300.00
Leading 30th Corps assault across the Seine at Vernon, 43rd Wessex Division gained an initial foothold on the east bank.  Heroic efforts however by the Royal Engineers of 71st, 72nd and 73rd Field Companies, succeeded in constructing a Class 9 Bailey bridge (David, shown left) and a Second Class 40 bridge (Goliath, shown right)  Despite constant enemy fire this amazing feat was achieved in only 2 days, and allowed 15/19th Hussars Cromwells and 4.7th Dragoons Guards Shermans to cross just in time to repulse a serious German counter attack by Tiger IIs of SS Panzer Abteilung 101.

David and Goliath, Vernon, France, 27th August 1944 by David Pentland. (GS)
Half Price! - 250.00
 Panzer IVF2 tanks of 6th Panzer Division, Panzer Armee Hoth, attempt to fight their way through to the beleaguered Sixth Army at Stalingrad, 12th December 1942.  On the 21st the operation was abandoned when the expected breakout from Stalingrad failed to materialise, the relief column was only 25 miles from the city.

Operation Winter Tempest by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 90.00
 Vielsalm, Belgium, 22nd December 1944.  Men of the 508th PIR, along with the rest of the 82nd Airborne Division were rushed to the Ardennes and deployed in an attempt to halt the onslaught of 6th SS Panzer Army, specifically Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Holding the Line by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 70.00