World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 31-03-2012, 12:40
Admiral

Default Re: Are these still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Taken in the Brittania Club in 1959, thats me on the left(the good looking one!!), 3 lads from the RFA RESURGENT and an unknown Stoker---cannot remember if I`ve entered this photo before--sorry if I have, nearly every pic that I`ve seen of the club its with lads sitting in this position, beer on the table and I`m sure its the same table or is it my imagination playing up as well s my memory
Thing I recall about them glasses Dave was the thickness andweight
Old 31-03-2012, 18:13
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
For curiousity only,how many naval tailors have we left in Portsmouth, Queen Street was full of them back in the 50s and early 60s,mine was UNIFITS but as Queen St has been partly demolished these tailors will have all gone now, which ones are still in existance?
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Old 01-04-2012, 16:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Mitch,

Remember C K Tang's well - I think you will find that the tower block on top of Tang's in Photo 2 has the original roof at it's summit. I remember talking to a structural engineer in Singapore years ago when he said that every time Tang expanded upward the original roof was removed and moved up one.

Dave,

Fisgard closed completely years ago and reemerged as Industrial Units. I was there in 75 when we demolished the old wooden huts [We gave the Old Chuffs and Puffs Messes a good send off] but I believe that a couple were retained [to this day], I had Benbow Division and remember they were well past their sellby date.

Dave H
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:09
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Sorry Dave I forgot the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img210.jpg (75.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05
Admiral

Quote:
Dave.
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
I well remember those wooden huts. I joined up in November '62. I sat one evening in one hut wearing every stitch of clothing I could comfortably get on, and I FROZE
Steve
Old 02-04-2012, 13:22
Commander

"Dregs", Johnny? I always thought we were the chosen few. Still believe it.
From memory, about 50% of each intake were moulded into Greenies, of one shade or another (including air). 35% became ERAs. 10% Chippies and the remaining 5% became WAFUs, being banished to Condor.
I too was in Hawke Div, first in the "sprog hut" Watt 6, then into Watt 10. The other divisions were Anson, Blake, Collingwood, Duncan, (West Side); Exmouth, Frobishire and Grenville, (East Side) Neatly alphabetical.

I joined in May, 64. By then, central heating pipes had been installed and they hung from the ceiling (or was that Caledonia I'm thinking of?) These pipes were great for wrapping wet dhobiing round. I could never understand the logic of putting a heating system in that only heated the top four feet of the hut!

AlanB.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:38
Admiral

Hi Alan,
What I ment by dregs were the boys at the bottom of the exam result lists. If you remember the boys at the top of the list got the first choice of the trades and what was left over was invariably engine room places. I had my heart set on becoming a chippie but all the places went to the bright lads. I'm glad it turned out that way though, I was proud to be an ERA and as you say we were the elite among artificers. John
Old 02-04-2012, 22:25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Sorry Dave - The NAAFI Club in Plymouth closed several years hence and was turned over to Student Accommodation - then last year it was demolished completely to make way for a more modern building - again for Student Accommodation - when demolishing it they discovered two unexploded WWII bombs under it which had to be dealt with - and to think how many pints etc we had whilst standing over them I met her indoors outside the Club waiting to be signed in and we have been together for fiftythree years - could say this Brighton Boy sold his birthright for an Oggie.

On another tack don't remember the Home Club in Pompey being Aggie's but my memory cells ain't what they used to be. Aggie's in Plymouth down Albert Road once again closed many years ago and succumbed to Student Requirements.

Dave H
Marvellous thing Google Earth, though about two years out of date it's useful sometimes for viewing what is no longer actually there. Do a screen-shot and one has a permanent record.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naafi plymouth.jpg (432.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by barracuda : 02-04-2012 at 22:26. Reason: repeated word
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Speaking from memory, I think there were six naval tailors down Queen Street but the only ones I can remember are Bernards and Daufmanns, but I believe there was a Gouldings; Jack Blair was at the Whale Island end of Stanley Road, handy for Excellent! Gieves was actually on The Hard, was there also a Baun? And do I remember a Burlingtons? The grey cells are a bit slow today!

Edna
Old 03-04-2012, 13:34
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Going back 56 years ago I was serving aboard the frigate LOCH KILLISPORT out in the East Indies Station and at the timewe were dry docked in Colombo, Ceylon getting the ships "bottom" scraped, boiler tubes being replaced, capstan overhauled and other maintenance duties seen to , half the crew were living on board while the rest of us went east to an old rest camp used by the navy during WW2 to give crews a rest from sea duties, the camp was at Diyatalawa and the stay there was great, no duties only complete rest and local site seeing, remember there was a burial plot for dogs of service personnel in the camp,a golf coarse and beyond that was a Ceylonese Navy Base which we used ----maybe after all this time that camp will be long gone, wonder when it was last used by the navy. The local snake charmers would hunt for cobra`s at night by the light from lanterns on the edges of the golf coarse, only found this out by chance when I asked a Ceylonese PO what the lights were as I had passed them a few times on my way back to camp----found an alternative way back after that.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:52
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Blank pay week in Portsmouth lads going on shore leave with hardly any cash would go to there individual tailors, buy a pair of shoes (£4) put it on their bill and walk a few yards down Queen street into a shop that bought service gear, handed over the shoes and were paid £2 for them, that was their night out money, beer was only 1shilling and 3pence a pint then(1956)--if I needed new shoes I would get them from that shop for only £3 instead of my tailors, any one know of that shop in Queen Street?

Also in Queen Street there was a fish & chip sit in cafe run by a couple of "queers" where they had fish swimming about in a tank and you had to pick you own fish to go with your chips, always had the chips, felt sorry for the poor old fish,had`nt the heart to pick one out for my supper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 14:10
Vice-Admiral

Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:36
Admiral

Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
Old 03-04-2012, 21:07
Forum Moderator

Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hong-kong-harbour-from-on high.jpg (1.29 MB, 49 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Keith and Johnny - my father knew Dick Keech and also Jack Blair, and Flemmings was also a popular tailor.

Incidentally, some of the Chinese tailors settled in Portsmouth, one being Lees in New Road, Copnor end.

Some of the Chinese cooks also settled in Portsmouth ......................

Edna
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
I was always told you had to specify that he used English thread when making up the suit, otherwise it fell apart. Having said that I grew out of mine before anything worse occurred.
Steve
Old 04-04-2012, 13:07
Vice Commodore

I was much more common - I was a Harry Bernards rating!!

Why - cos I had an allotment to them (£2 a month I think)

Why - cos they were the only Naval Tailors on the Air Station at Lossiemouth in 59/60

Why - cos I wanted to buy a hat with red and green lining

Why - cos all my mates had one

Why - cos we were =+_*^&%$$£" stupid (they were half the price in slops!!!!)

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 13:44
Rear-Admiral

I took this picture on the last day I left Daedalus. Went from there to Victory barracks for discharge, so it was in November 1971. I drove past not too long ago, and it's still there, though locked and a bit forlorn. My last 6 weeks in the Navy were spent there pretending to be the Officer of the Watch, 1 day on and 6 days off. Slept in cells and went home (Reading) when not on watch. Was there ever a cushier number? Our immediate overseer was an ex - gunnie called Bill Spicer, who had been killick of my mess at Seahawk II in 1963.
I am sure many WAFUs will remember those gates.
They have just announced a new development of the Daedalus site, so I don't know how long they will look like that.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daedalus main gate, last time!!.jpg (1.50 MB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 13:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi All

Bombay runners, as big as four engined bombers was the local legend.

Mitch Hinde
A picture of Bugis Street taken in 1971. This shows it as I remember it, an exciting place to go for a meal and a few beers in a foreign environment.
Sorry it's a bit blurred, new camera then.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Singapore, Bugis Street.JPG (1.16 MB, 59 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 14:35
Commander

That's okay Steve. Bugis Street always looked blurred to me.

AlanB.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:36
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

The Home Club on Queen Street Portsmouth is now the Royal Maritime Club and is an hotel with very reasonable prices.

Mitch Hinde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50afc9deba2bdcb3fabb60ed8d023a238large.jpg (11.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 19:07
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:02
Admiral

Quote:
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Sorry Jim,
I did'nt realise we still had a FML in 1966 ( if it is one of them)
Welshman of course was sunk in WW2, Apollo had paid off but Manxman was in the Far East in 66. So could it be her?.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20
Commander

Manxman returned to UK in 1968 after about 5 years as CMS support ship, based in Singapore.
In the photo, the dry dock has been filled in. I recall someone telling me this was done in the mid-60's, but someone may correct me.

AlanB

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 16th January 1902 : HMS Hyacinth : Coronation Review at Spithead

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Having taken terrible punishment from the guns of the allied French and Spanish fleet as she broke through the line, HMS Victory found herself engaged by the French Redoutable, a bitter battle that saw the two ships locked together, pouring shot into one another with terrifying ferocity and which left the British Admiral, Lord Horatio Nelson fatally wounded. In the background, HMS Neptune is emerging through the gunsmoke and is about to pass the wreck of the French flagship Bucentaure which Victory so spectacularly routed as she passed through the allied line. HMS Temeraire, which followed Victory through, and which was also to become embroiled on the Redoutables fight, is obscured by the smoke beyond the British flagship.

The Battle of Trafalgar, 1.00pm by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £325.00
Two F14 Tomcats of VF-1 pass in close formation over the stern of the veteran USS Ranger (CV-61)

USS Ranger by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £295.00
Viewed across the damaged stern of the 80-gun San Nicholas, Nelson drives HMS Captain onto the Spanish vessel in order that she can be boarded and taken as a prize, the British marines and men scrambling up the Captains bowsprit to use it as a bridge. The San Nicholas then fouled the Spanish three decker San Joseph (112), allowing Nelson and his men to take both ships as prizes in a single manoeuvre. A British frigate is moving into a supporting position in the middle distance.

HMS Captain at the Battle of Cape St Vincent by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £575.00
21st October 1805. As Admiral Nelsons flagship leads the British fleet towards the Franco-Spanish line, Captain Harveys Temeraire tries to pass the Victory in order to be the first to break the enemy column. Harvey was discouraged with a customry rebuke from Nelson and duly fell into line behind the flagship. The enemy can be seen spread along the horizon whilst, to the right in the distance, the leading ships of Admiral Collingwoods fleet can be seen spearheading a separate assault to the south. In the light airs preceding the battle, much sail was needed to drive the British ships towards the enemy line. HMS Victory, nearest, has royals and stunsails set and is making good way, her furniture boats strung behind in readiness for battle. On her poop deck, officers prepare to run up a signal.

Captain Harveys HMS Temeraire tries to pass HMS Victory at the beginning of the Battle of Trafalgar by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

Swordfish of 825 Sqn led by Lt-Cdr Esmonde begin their heroic attack on the battlescruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen as they make their way up the English Channel from Brest during Operation Cerberus on 12th February 1942.  Although all the aircraft were lost and no significant damage was done to the German fleet, all the pilots were decorated for their bravery and Lt-Cdr Esmonde received the first Fleet Air Arm VC to be awarded, albeit posthumously.  The painting depicts the first wave of Swordfish attacking the Scharnhorst with Gneisenau taking avoiding action in the distance.  A German torpedo boat has turned to confront the attacking aircraft.

Attack on the Scharnhorst by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 Viewed from beneath the blistered guns of the damaged X and Y turrets of her sister HMS Ajax, Achilles come sunder fire from the pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee during what was to become known as the Battle of the River Plate on the 13th December 1939. Shells from Achilles are closing on her opponent as the Graf Spee alters course at the start of the doomed battleships flight to Montevideo

The Pursuit of the Graf Spee by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £2800.00
HMS Dreadnought passes Spice Island as she heads for the open sea escorted by a torpedo boat destroyer.

HMS Dreadnought at Portsmouth by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - £50.00
 Completed in 1916, the Resolution was one of the finest capital ships in the Royal Navy, serving in many theatres with her sister ships, Royal Sovereign, Royal Oak, Ramillies and Revenge, she is shown here in 1936.

HMS Resolution by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £29.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

The Welsh Six Nations Grand Slam of 2005 is completed as Wales beat Ireland in their final game. <br>Results : Cardiff, 5th February : Wales 11 - 9 England<br>Rome, 12th February : Italy 8 - 38 Wales<br>Paris, 26th February : France 18 - 24 Wales<br>Edinburgh, 13th March : Scotland 22 - 46 Wales<br>Cardiff, 19th March : Wales 32 - 20 Ireland.

Grand Slam 2005 by James Owen. (Y)
Half Price! - £60.00
David Coulthard driving the 1998 McLaren MP4/13.

The Silver Arrow by Ray Goldsbrough
Half Price! - £20.00
 Ralf Schumacher winning the first Grand Prix of his career in the Williams FW23. Ralf dominated the San Marino Grand Prix from the first corner to the chequered flag giving Williams its first win since 1997. History was made when the Schumachers became the first brothers in Formula 1 to win a Grand Prix. Imola April 2001.

The Italian Job by Michael Thompson
Half Price! - £75.00
FAR999. The Wild Card by Derrick Mark.
The Wild Card by Derrick Mark.
Half Price! - £20.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

On 27th November 1950, thousands of Chinese troops swarmed over the frozen Yalu river on the North Korean /Chinese border, cutting off US Marines in the Chosin Reservoir area. Over the next ten days the marines with air support from both the Navy and Marine Air Wings fought their way out of the trap to Hungnam and safety.

Frozen Chosin, Korea, December 1950 by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £1900.00
 Major Hans-Ekkehard Bob is shown claiming his 5th victory – a Blenheim – 60km west of Rotterdam on 26th June 1940.  Bob went on to serve with JG.54, JG.51, JG.3, EJG2.2 and JV.44, scoring a total of 60 confirmed victories in the course of his Luftwaffe service.  The Blenheim claimed as his 5th victory is likely to have been R3776 of No.110 Squadron, which was the only Blenheim recorded to have been lost participating in Operation Soest on that day - while another returned to base damaged and crash landed.  The three crew of the Blenheim were all missing in action - P/O Cyril Ray Worboys, Sgt Gerald Patterson Gainsford and Sgt Kenneth Cooper.

Ltn. Hans-Ekkehard Bob of JG21 Becomes an Ace by Ivan Berryman. (C)
Half Price! - £40.00
17th May 1943, Sqn Ldr Frank (Jerry) Fray in his Spitfire PRX1 of 542 Squadron operating out of RAF Benson, Oxfordshire, returned alone and unarmed to gather photographic evidence from 30,000 feet of the Möhne dam having been breached earlier the same day by 617 Squadron Lancaster bombers.

Mission Accomplished by Philip West.
Half Price! - £105.00
 Flight Lieutenant Ian <i>Widge</i> Gleed is depicted in his personal Hurricane 1 P2798 (LK-A) of 87 Sqn shooting down a Messerschmitt Bf.110 on 15th August 1940.  Just visible beneath the cockpit of the Hurricane is his mascot, Figaro, shown kicking a swastika.  His aircraft was also easily identifiable by the red flash on its nose, a feature that was retained even when P2798 was painted all black for its night fighter role. Gleed scored many victories before being shot down and killed whilst flying a Spitfire Vc in the Western Desert in April 1943.

Tribute to Flt Lt Ian R Gleed by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Trapped within a rapidly decreasing perimeter, the exhausted BEF along with elements of the French 1st Army appeared to be at the mercy of the mighty Luftwaffe.  No one though had reckoned on the brilliant leadership of Admiral Ramsay nor the gallant and unstinting efforts of the military and civilians who managed to rescue over 330,000 troops in nine days.

Operation Dynamo, Dunkirk, France 24th May - 4th June 1940 by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £1900.00
 Superb figure study of the 82nd Airborne in 1944.

82nd Airborne by Chris Collingwood.
Half Price! - £80.00
 M2A4 and M3 tanks of A Company, 1st US Marine Tank Battalion. move out from Henderson Field to support the perimeter from Japanese attacks.

Guadalcanal by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £295.00
 Preussisch Stargard, East Prussia, February 1945.  Following the departure  of the platoon's two other vehicles, after expending all their ammunition, the single Jagdpanther of Oberfeldwebel Hermann Bix remained to cover the withdrawal of all supporting infantry in the area.  Hidden behind a muck heap, with only twenty armour piercing and five high explosive shells remaining he made the attacking Soviet Shermans pay a heavy price, destroying sixteen of their number before he too fell back out of ammunition.

The Rearguard by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00