World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 31-03-2012, 12:40
Admiral

Default Re: Are these still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Taken in the Brittania Club in 1959, thats me on the left(the good looking one!!), 3 lads from the RFA RESURGENT and an unknown Stoker---cannot remember if I`ve entered this photo before--sorry if I have, nearly every pic that I`ve seen of the club its with lads sitting in this position, beer on the table and I`m sure its the same table or is it my imagination playing up as well s my memory
Thing I recall about them glasses Dave was the thickness andweight
Old 31-03-2012, 18:13
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
For curiousity only,how many naval tailors have we left in Portsmouth, Queen Street was full of them back in the 50s and early 60s,mine was UNIFITS but as Queen St has been partly demolished these tailors will have all gone now, which ones are still in existance?
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Old 01-04-2012, 16:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Mitch,

Remember C K Tang's well - I think you will find that the tower block on top of Tang's in Photo 2 has the original roof at it's summit. I remember talking to a structural engineer in Singapore years ago when he said that every time Tang expanded upward the original roof was removed and moved up one.

Dave,

Fisgard closed completely years ago and reemerged as Industrial Units. I was there in 75 when we demolished the old wooden huts [We gave the Old Chuffs and Puffs Messes a good send off] but I believe that a couple were retained [to this day], I had Benbow Division and remember they were well past their sellby date.

Dave H
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:09
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Sorry Dave I forgot the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img210.jpg (75.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05
Admiral

Quote:
Dave.
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
I well remember those wooden huts. I joined up in November '62. I sat one evening in one hut wearing every stitch of clothing I could comfortably get on, and I FROZE
Steve
Old 02-04-2012, 13:22
Commander

"Dregs", Johnny? I always thought we were the chosen few. Still believe it.
From memory, about 50% of each intake were moulded into Greenies, of one shade or another (including air). 35% became ERAs. 10% Chippies and the remaining 5% became WAFUs, being banished to Condor.
I too was in Hawke Div, first in the "sprog hut" Watt 6, then into Watt 10. The other divisions were Anson, Blake, Collingwood, Duncan, (West Side); Exmouth, Frobishire and Grenville, (East Side) Neatly alphabetical.

I joined in May, 64. By then, central heating pipes had been installed and they hung from the ceiling (or was that Caledonia I'm thinking of?) These pipes were great for wrapping wet dhobiing round. I could never understand the logic of putting a heating system in that only heated the top four feet of the hut!

AlanB.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:38
Admiral

Hi Alan,
What I ment by dregs were the boys at the bottom of the exam result lists. If you remember the boys at the top of the list got the first choice of the trades and what was left over was invariably engine room places. I had my heart set on becoming a chippie but all the places went to the bright lads. I'm glad it turned out that way though, I was proud to be an ERA and as you say we were the elite among artificers. John
Old 02-04-2012, 22:25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Sorry Dave - The NAAFI Club in Plymouth closed several years hence and was turned over to Student Accommodation - then last year it was demolished completely to make way for a more modern building - again for Student Accommodation - when demolishing it they discovered two unexploded WWII bombs under it which had to be dealt with - and to think how many pints etc we had whilst standing over them I met her indoors outside the Club waiting to be signed in and we have been together for fiftythree years - could say this Brighton Boy sold his birthright for an Oggie.

On another tack don't remember the Home Club in Pompey being Aggie's but my memory cells ain't what they used to be. Aggie's in Plymouth down Albert Road once again closed many years ago and succumbed to Student Requirements.

Dave H
Marvellous thing Google Earth, though about two years out of date it's useful sometimes for viewing what is no longer actually there. Do a screen-shot and one has a permanent record.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naafi plymouth.jpg (432.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by barracuda : 02-04-2012 at 22:26. Reason: repeated word
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Speaking from memory, I think there were six naval tailors down Queen Street but the only ones I can remember are Bernards and Daufmanns, but I believe there was a Gouldings; Jack Blair was at the Whale Island end of Stanley Road, handy for Excellent! Gieves was actually on The Hard, was there also a Baun? And do I remember a Burlingtons? The grey cells are a bit slow today!

Edna
Old 03-04-2012, 13:34
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Going back 56 years ago I was serving aboard the frigate LOCH KILLISPORT out in the East Indies Station and at the timewe were dry docked in Colombo, Ceylon getting the ships "bottom" scraped, boiler tubes being replaced, capstan overhauled and other maintenance duties seen to , half the crew were living on board while the rest of us went east to an old rest camp used by the navy during WW2 to give crews a rest from sea duties, the camp was at Diyatalawa and the stay there was great, no duties only complete rest and local site seeing, remember there was a burial plot for dogs of service personnel in the camp,a golf coarse and beyond that was a Ceylonese Navy Base which we used ----maybe after all this time that camp will be long gone, wonder when it was last used by the navy. The local snake charmers would hunt for cobra`s at night by the light from lanterns on the edges of the golf coarse, only found this out by chance when I asked a Ceylonese PO what the lights were as I had passed them a few times on my way back to camp----found an alternative way back after that.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:52
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Blank pay week in Portsmouth lads going on shore leave with hardly any cash would go to there individual tailors, buy a pair of shoes (£4) put it on their bill and walk a few yards down Queen street into a shop that bought service gear, handed over the shoes and were paid £2 for them, that was their night out money, beer was only 1shilling and 3pence a pint then(1956)--if I needed new shoes I would get them from that shop for only £3 instead of my tailors, any one know of that shop in Queen Street?

Also in Queen Street there was a fish & chip sit in cafe run by a couple of "queers" where they had fish swimming about in a tank and you had to pick you own fish to go with your chips, always had the chips, felt sorry for the poor old fish,had`nt the heart to pick one out for my supper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 14:10
Vice-Admiral

Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:36
Admiral

Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
Old 03-04-2012, 21:07
Forum Moderator

Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hong-kong-harbour-from-on high.jpg (1.29 MB, 49 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Keith and Johnny - my father knew Dick Keech and also Jack Blair, and Flemmings was also a popular tailor.

Incidentally, some of the Chinese tailors settled in Portsmouth, one being Lees in New Road, Copnor end.

Some of the Chinese cooks also settled in Portsmouth ......................

Edna
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
I was always told you had to specify that he used English thread when making up the suit, otherwise it fell apart. Having said that I grew out of mine before anything worse occurred.
Steve
Old 04-04-2012, 13:07
Vice Commodore

I was much more common - I was a Harry Bernards rating!!

Why - cos I had an allotment to them (£2 a month I think)

Why - cos they were the only Naval Tailors on the Air Station at Lossiemouth in 59/60

Why - cos I wanted to buy a hat with red and green lining

Why - cos all my mates had one

Why - cos we were =+_*^&%$$£" stupid (they were half the price in slops!!!!)

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 13:44
Rear-Admiral

I took this picture on the last day I left Daedalus. Went from there to Victory barracks for discharge, so it was in November 1971. I drove past not too long ago, and it's still there, though locked and a bit forlorn. My last 6 weeks in the Navy were spent there pretending to be the Officer of the Watch, 1 day on and 6 days off. Slept in cells and went home (Reading) when not on watch. Was there ever a cushier number? Our immediate overseer was an ex - gunnie called Bill Spicer, who had been killick of my mess at Seahawk II in 1963.
I am sure many WAFUs will remember those gates.
They have just announced a new development of the Daedalus site, so I don't know how long they will look like that.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daedalus main gate, last time!!.jpg (1.50 MB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 13:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi All

Bombay runners, as big as four engined bombers was the local legend.

Mitch Hinde
A picture of Bugis Street taken in 1971. This shows it as I remember it, an exciting place to go for a meal and a few beers in a foreign environment.
Sorry it's a bit blurred, new camera then.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Singapore, Bugis Street.JPG (1.16 MB, 59 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 14:35
Commander

That's okay Steve. Bugis Street always looked blurred to me.

AlanB.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:36
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

The Home Club on Queen Street Portsmouth is now the Royal Maritime Club and is an hotel with very reasonable prices.

Mitch Hinde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50afc9deba2bdcb3fabb60ed8d023a238large.jpg (11.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 19:07
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:02
Admiral

Quote:
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Sorry Jim,
I did'nt realise we still had a FML in 1966 ( if it is one of them)
Welshman of course was sunk in WW2, Apollo had paid off but Manxman was in the Far East in 66. So could it be her?.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20
Commander

Manxman returned to UK in 1968 after about 5 years as CMS support ship, based in Singapore.
In the photo, the dry dock has been filled in. I recall someone telling me this was done in the mid-60's, but someone may correct me.

AlanB

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 2007 : HMS Lancaster : Spithead

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

With the British Mediterranean Fleet riding at anchor in Grand  Harbour Malta, HMS  Majestic is shown preparing to leave harbour as local fisherman look on. 

Majestic Malta by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - £65.00
 To increase the strength of the US fleet in the Pacific during the critical early months of the war, USS Indiana went through the Panama Canal. On the 28th of November 1942 USS Indiana joined Rear Admiral Lee's aircraft carrier screening force. For the next 11 months, USS Indiana helped protect USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga, which had been supporting the US invasion on the Solomon Islands. On the 21st of October 1943 USS Indiana went to Pearl Harbor, but after only a couple of weeks left to support forces designated for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands. The battleship protected the carriers which supported the Marines during the bloody fight for Tarawa atoll. Then, in late January 1944, she bombarded Kwajalein for eight days prior to the Marshall Island landings on 1st February 1944. USS Indiana collided with the battleship USS Washington while refuelling destroyers, killing several men. Temporary repairs to her starboard side were made at Majuro and USS Indiana returned to Pearl Harbor on 13th February 1944 for additional repair work. The painting shows USS Indiana with one of the two carriers she protected.

USS Indiana, First Tour of Duty by Anthony Saunders. (Y)
Half Price! - £230.00
B216P.  HMS Colossus by Ivan Berryman. Together with her sister ship, Hercules, HMS Colossus acquitted herself well at the Battle of Jutland where she fired 93 12in rounds, but received only two hits from enemy fire which caused minor damage and left nine crew injured.  She was sold for scrap in 1928.

HMS Colossus by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £500.00
Depicting Titanic with the sun going down for the last time.

Titanic by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £35.00

17th February 1943, U-201 with U-69 were ordered to intercept the westbound convoy ONS165. With fuel low U-201 was eventually forced to surface following a depth charge attack and rammed by the Destroyer HMS Fame.

U-201 Deadly Chase by Anthony Saunders. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 Admiral Cuthbert Collingwoods flagship the Royal Sovereign comes under intense fire from the black-painted Spanish 3-decker, Santa Ana, and the French 74 Fougueux, just prior to breaking through the Franco-Spanish line at Trafalgar.
HMS Royal Sovereign by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £625.00
 HMS Benbow was completed in 1914, built by Beardmore (launched 12th November 1913). On the 10th of December she joined the Grand Fleet serving with the 4th Battle squadron. She was the flagship to Admiral Douglas Gamble until he was replaced in February 1915 by Sir Doveton Sturdee. During  the Battle of Jutland. she suffered no damage. After the war she served from 1919 in the Mediterranean providing Gun fire support to the white Russians in the Black Sea until 1920. She remained in the Mediterranean until 1926 joining the Atlantic fleet for the next three years until 1929 when she was paid off and scrapped in March 1931.

HMS Benbow at the Battle of Jutland by Anthony Saunders. 
Half Price! - £85.00
The nuclear-powered submarine HMS Repulse (S23) manoeuvres in preparation to berth at HMS Dolphin in Portsmouth harbour in the late 1970s.

HMS Dolphin by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Patrick Vieira by Gary Brandham. (Y)
Half Price! - £72.00
SPC5006. Ryan Giggs by Keith Fearon.
Ryan Giggs by Keith Fearon.
Half Price! - £40.00
B47. Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.

Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £40.00
 Sir Bobby played more than 750 games for Manchester United, scoring 247 goals. He also played 106 times for his country and scored a record 49 goals. One of only two Englishmen to have won World Cup and European Cup medals his name will always remain synonymous with some of the greatest moments in the English game.

Sir Bobby Charlton by Gary Keane. (Y)
Half Price! - £60.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Spitfire of 610 Squadron which has been damaged during combat during the height of the Battle of Britain is shown over the white cliffs of Dover.  No. 610 (County of Chester) Squadron of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force's first major combat with the Luftwaffe was on 27th May when a Heinkel bomber protected by about 40 Me110s, was engaged.  The combat which followed saw the Heinkel and three Me110 fighters being shot down.  Throughout August 610 Squadron was involved in bitter fighting over the Channel and Home Counties of England.  During the Battle of Britain No.610 Squadron operated from Biggin Hill, Hawkinge, and, on one occasion, from Croydon.  The Squadron put up a terrific show and 40 enemy aircraft were confirmed as having been destroyed by 610 Squadron during August.  The loss to the Squadron was eleven pilots killed during the battle.

Return of the Heroes by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £70.00
 A pair of Spitfire Mk.IXEs of 611 Squadron make their way home from a patrol during the summer of 1942. At this time 611 Squadron were based at Kenley and were the first squadron to receive the new Mk.IX putting it on equal terms, for the first time, with the formidable Focke-Wulf 190.

Spitfire Mk.IXE by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
In the Vietnam war Squadron VA-163 was stationed aboard the carrier Oriskany on its second cruise, the squadrons A-4 Skyhawks were led by Commander Wynn Foster, one of the navys most aggressive strike leaders, and under Air Wing Commander James Stockdale, the A-4 pilots racked up a formidable record as a top fighting unit.

Alfa-Strike by Nicolas Trudgian. (Y)
Half Price! - £75.00
Depicting Dauntless and Devastator attacking the Japanese aircraft carrier Akagi during the Battle of Midway.

Midway - The Setting Sun by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £55.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

<b>Ex-display prints in near perfect condition. </b>

Lance-Corporal Harry Nichols, 3rd battalion Grenadier Guards, winning the Victoria Cross at the River Escaut, 21st May 1940 by David Rowlands. (Y)
Half Price! - £20.00
 M3 Lee tanks and troops from General Slims 14th Army clear Japanese resistance form the village of Ywathitgyi in their drive to Mandalay.

Road to Mandalay, Burma, February 1945 by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £1900.00
 Sturmgeschutz IIIg and Paratroops of the 4th Fallschirmjager Division, driving to the front line, pass one of the two giant 28cm K5 (Eisenbaum) railway guns responsible for the shelling the Allied beacheads at Anzio and Nettuno.

Anzio Annie, Italy, 29th January 1945 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 General Major Erwin Rommel leads the vanguard of his vaunted 7th Panzer (Ghost) Division past an abandoned French Char B tank on its epic drive from the Ardennes to the English Channel.

Blitzkrieg, Northern France, May 1940 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £50.00