World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 31-03-2012, 12:40
Admiral

Default Re: Are these still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Taken in the Brittania Club in 1959, thats me on the left(the good looking one!!), 3 lads from the RFA RESURGENT and an unknown Stoker---cannot remember if I`ve entered this photo before--sorry if I have, nearly every pic that I`ve seen of the club its with lads sitting in this position, beer on the table and I`m sure its the same table or is it my imagination playing up as well s my memory
Thing I recall about them glasses Dave was the thickness andweight
Old 31-03-2012, 18:13
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
For curiousity only,how many naval tailors have we left in Portsmouth, Queen Street was full of them back in the 50s and early 60s,mine was UNIFITS but as Queen St has been partly demolished these tailors will have all gone now, which ones are still in existance?
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Old 01-04-2012, 16:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Mitch,

Remember C K Tang's well - I think you will find that the tower block on top of Tang's in Photo 2 has the original roof at it's summit. I remember talking to a structural engineer in Singapore years ago when he said that every time Tang expanded upward the original roof was removed and moved up one.

Dave,

Fisgard closed completely years ago and reemerged as Industrial Units. I was there in 75 when we demolished the old wooden huts [We gave the Old Chuffs and Puffs Messes a good send off] but I believe that a couple were retained [to this day], I had Benbow Division and remember they were well past their sellby date.

Dave H
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:09
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
Dave.
This is one of the roads at the East side at Fisgard in 1956. The huts we lived in were red brick. I was in Hawke Division which is to my left.I think that the block behind me was Duncan Division and I think the other two on East side were Benbow and Collingwood. There were more Divisions on West side but I forget the names. This was a tiffie's boot camp were it was decided what trade you would go on to be. I've mentioned before that the dregs (me) ended up in the engine room dept. and went up to Scotland to complete our training. John.
Sorry Dave I forgot the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img210.jpg (75.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05
Admiral

Quote:
Dave.
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
John,

I should never post before tottime. When I finished the sentence on Fisgard I should have said I had the Benbow Division over in Raleigh which was the Wooden Huts, sorry for the .

Dave H
I well remember those wooden huts. I joined up in November '62. I sat one evening in one hut wearing every stitch of clothing I could comfortably get on, and I FROZE
Steve
Old 02-04-2012, 13:22
Commander

"Dregs", Johnny? I always thought we were the chosen few. Still believe it.
From memory, about 50% of each intake were moulded into Greenies, of one shade or another (including air). 35% became ERAs. 10% Chippies and the remaining 5% became WAFUs, being banished to Condor.
I too was in Hawke Div, first in the "sprog hut" Watt 6, then into Watt 10. The other divisions were Anson, Blake, Collingwood, Duncan, (West Side); Exmouth, Frobishire and Grenville, (East Side) Neatly alphabetical.

I joined in May, 64. By then, central heating pipes had been installed and they hung from the ceiling (or was that Caledonia I'm thinking of?) These pipes were great for wrapping wet dhobiing round. I could never understand the logic of putting a heating system in that only heated the top four feet of the hut!

AlanB.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:38
Admiral

Hi Alan,
What I ment by dregs were the boys at the bottom of the exam result lists. If you remember the boys at the top of the list got the first choice of the trades and what was left over was invariably engine room places. I had my heart set on becoming a chippie but all the places went to the bright lads. I'm glad it turned out that way though, I was proud to be an ERA and as you say we were the elite among artificers. John
Old 02-04-2012, 22:25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Sorry Dave - The NAAFI Club in Plymouth closed several years hence and was turned over to Student Accommodation - then last year it was demolished completely to make way for a more modern building - again for Student Accommodation - when demolishing it they discovered two unexploded WWII bombs under it which had to be dealt with - and to think how many pints etc we had whilst standing over them I met her indoors outside the Club waiting to be signed in and we have been together for fiftythree years - could say this Brighton Boy sold his birthright for an Oggie.

On another tack don't remember the Home Club in Pompey being Aggie's but my memory cells ain't what they used to be. Aggie's in Plymouth down Albert Road once again closed many years ago and succumbed to Student Requirements.

Dave H
Marvellous thing Google Earth, though about two years out of date it's useful sometimes for viewing what is no longer actually there. Do a screen-shot and one has a permanent record.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg naafi plymouth.jpg (432.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by barracuda : 02-04-2012 at 22:26. Reason: repeated word
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimosailor View Post
I walk down Queen Street occasionally, when I feel sufficiently energetic, and from memory there is only one Naval Tailor left. I cannot recall the name, but next time my energy level is high I'll do a check.
Steve
Speaking from memory, I think there were six naval tailors down Queen Street but the only ones I can remember are Bernards and Daufmanns, but I believe there was a Gouldings; Jack Blair was at the Whale Island end of Stanley Road, handy for Excellent! Gieves was actually on The Hard, was there also a Baun? And do I remember a Burlingtons? The grey cells are a bit slow today!

Edna
Old 03-04-2012, 13:34
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Going back 56 years ago I was serving aboard the frigate LOCH KILLISPORT out in the East Indies Station and at the timewe were dry docked in Colombo, Ceylon getting the ships "bottom" scraped, boiler tubes being replaced, capstan overhauled and other maintenance duties seen to , half the crew were living on board while the rest of us went east to an old rest camp used by the navy during WW2 to give crews a rest from sea duties, the camp was at Diyatalawa and the stay there was great, no duties only complete rest and local site seeing, remember there was a burial plot for dogs of service personnel in the camp,a golf coarse and beyond that was a Ceylonese Navy Base which we used ----maybe after all this time that camp will be long gone, wonder when it was last used by the navy. The local snake charmers would hunt for cobra`s at night by the light from lanterns on the edges of the golf coarse, only found this out by chance when I asked a Ceylonese PO what the lights were as I had passed them a few times on my way back to camp----found an alternative way back after that.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:52
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Blank pay week in Portsmouth lads going on shore leave with hardly any cash would go to there individual tailors, buy a pair of shoes (4) put it on their bill and walk a few yards down Queen street into a shop that bought service gear, handed over the shoes and were paid 2 for them, that was their night out money, beer was only 1shilling and 3pence a pint then(1956)--if I needed new shoes I would get them from that shop for only 3 instead of my tailors, any one know of that shop in Queen Street?

Also in Queen Street there was a fish & chip sit in cafe run by a couple of "queers" where they had fish swimming about in a tank and you had to pick you own fish to go with your chips, always had the chips, felt sorry for the poor old fish,had`nt the heart to pick one out for my supper!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 14:10
Vice-Admiral

Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Old 03-04-2012, 17:36
Admiral

Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
Old 03-04-2012, 21:07
Forum Moderator

Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hong-kong-harbour-from-on high.jpg (1.29 MB, 49 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Are we talking Naval Tailors who have passed into history. In Portsmouth my tailor was Dick Keech.
Keith and Johnny - my father knew Dick Keech and also Jack Blair, and Flemmings was also a popular tailor.

Incidentally, some of the Chinese tailors settled in Portsmouth, one being Lees in New Road, Copnor end.

Some of the Chinese cooks also settled in Portsmouth ......................

Edna
Old 04-04-2012, 12:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Flemmings naval tailors comes to mind.
I always thought though that for a beautiful suit and clothing in general you could'nt beat the onboard Chinese tailor.
I was always told you had to specify that he used English thread when making up the suit, otherwise it fell apart. Having said that I grew out of mine before anything worse occurred.
Steve
Old 04-04-2012, 13:07
Vice Commodore

I was much more common - I was a Harry Bernards rating!!

Why - cos I had an allotment to them (2 a month I think)

Why - cos they were the only Naval Tailors on the Air Station at Lossiemouth in 59/60

Why - cos I wanted to buy a hat with red and green lining

Why - cos all my mates had one

Why - cos we were =+_*^&%$$" stupid (they were half the price in slops!!!!)

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 13:44
Rear-Admiral

I took this picture on the last day I left Daedalus. Went from there to Victory barracks for discharge, so it was in November 1971. I drove past not too long ago, and it's still there, though locked and a bit forlorn. My last 6 weeks in the Navy were spent there pretending to be the Officer of the Watch, 1 day on and 6 days off. Slept in cells and went home (Reading) when not on watch. Was there ever a cushier number? Our immediate overseer was an ex - gunnie called Bill Spicer, who had been killick of my mess at Seahawk II in 1963.
I am sure many WAFUs will remember those gates.
They have just announced a new development of the Daedalus site, so I don't know how long they will look like that.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daedalus main gate, last time!!.jpg (1.50 MB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 13:51
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hinde View Post
Hi All

Bombay runners, as big as four engined bombers was the local legend.

Mitch Hinde
A picture of Bugis Street taken in 1971. This shows it as I remember it, an exciting place to go for a meal and a few beers in a foreign environment.
Sorry it's a bit blurred, new camera then.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Singapore, Bugis Street.JPG (1.16 MB, 59 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 14:35
Commander

That's okay Steve. Bugis Street always looked blurred to me.

AlanB.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:36
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

The Home Club on Queen Street Portsmouth is now the Royal Maritime Club and is an hotel with very reasonable prices.

Mitch Hinde
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50afc9deba2bdcb3fabb60ed8d023a238large.jpg (11.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 19:07
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Been sorting some of my photos from Ark Royal and came across this one of Hong Kong, presumably during 1965/6, but can't see the Ark in the harbour anywhere.

Jim

ps While sorting the photos, I came across three receipts for Bernards Naval Tailors, for Y fronts
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:02
Admiral

Quote:
Jim,
Are you sure this was 66? Dare I say it looks a bit before then. Is that not Apollo or Manxman or Welshman against the wall. John.
Sorry Jim,
I did'nt realise we still had a FML in 1966 ( if it is one of them)
Welshman of course was sunk in WW2, Apollo had paid off but Manxman was in the Far East in 66. So could it be her?.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20
Commander

Manxman returned to UK in 1968 after about 5 years as CMS support ship, based in Singapore.
In the photo, the dry dock has been filled in. I recall someone telling me this was done in the mid-60's, but someone may correct me.

AlanB

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 7th January 1935 : HMS Galatea : Sailed Gibraltar

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

HMS Eagle and the commando carrier HMS Albion during the withdrawal from Aden in November 1967.  One of HMS Eagles Sea Vixen is passing overhead and RFA Stromness is at anchor in the distance.

HMS Eagle and HMS Albion by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 15.00
 Designed by the great Ernst Heinkel, the diminutive D.1 was an essential stop-gap that provided the Austro-Hungarian pilots with a front line fighter until they were able to re-equip with Albatros scouts in the Summer of 1917. This little aircraft performed well and was generally held in high regard by its pilots, although it did have some shortcomings, namely that forward vision was extremely limited and the Schwarzloses gun was completely concealed in the overwing pod that made it inaccessible in the air. Most unusual of all was its interplane strut arrangement, designed to reduce drag, which gave it the nicknames Starstrutter or Spider. These examples are shown passing above the German cruiser Derfflinger.

Brandenburg D.1 by Ivan Berryman. (GS)
Half Price! - 300.00
HMS Ark Royal IV - Flagship of the Flag Officer Aircraft Carriers - a mobile airfield and a most impressive sight as she launches a Phantom from one of her catapults. She had a standard displacement of 43,000 tons, a beam of 168 feet, and was 846 feet long. Ships company numbered 2,570 and her Air Group consisted of Phantom Interceptors, Buccaneer strike and Gannet AEW aircraft together with Wessex SAR and Sea King ASW helicopters. She served her Nation and the Royal Navy for 23 years and sailed 800,000 miles of valuable service, finally being decommissioned in 1979.
Ark Royal by Philip West (AP)
Half Price! - 140.00
HMS Glowworm, burning severely after receiving hits from the mighty Admiral Hipper, is depicted turning to begin her heroic sacrifice off the Norwegian coast on 8th April 1940. Hugely out-gunned and already crippled, Glowworms captain, Lieutenant-Commander Roope rammed his destroyer into the side of the Admiral Hipper, inflicting a 40 metre rip in its armour belt before drifting away and exploding. 38 British sailors were rescued from the sea and Roope was awarded a posthumous VC for his bravery, the first earned by the Royal Navy in WWII.

The Attack on the Admiral Hipper by HMS Glowworm by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - 25.00

With the British Mediterranean Fleet riding at anchor in Grand  Harbour Malta, HMS  Majestic is shown preparing to leave harbour as local fisherman look on.

Majestic Malta by Randall Wilson (AP)
Half Price! - 75.00
On the 11th August 1942, Flight Lieutenant Geoffrey Wellum DFC, having just taken off from the deck of HMS Furious, leads his section of gathering Spitfires on the long journey to Malta. They are much-needed reinforcements for the beleaguered island, now in the twenty-sixth month of its siege. To enable each of the 38 Spitfires dispatched from Furious to reach Malta, over three hours flying time away, they carry maximum fuel together with a centre-line over-load tank. Even their ammunition is removed to save weight. Escorting Furious to her aft is the Cruiser HMS Manchester together with Destroyers Brave and Lithe. To their port side is the Ohio tanker laden with fuel during what became an epic voyage. In the distance HMS Eagle succumbs to an Axis torpedo attack. The success of Operation Pedestal was absolutely critical for the survival of Malta, bringing desperately needed fuel, food and ammunition to the Island. Losses were heavy but the courage and determination by all involved prevailed: five of the fourteen merchant ships, including the Ohio, made it through and the island was saved.
Spitfires - Malta Bound by Philip West.
Half Price! - 100.00
 Blackbeard the Terrible, otherwise known as Edward Teach, Thatch or Drummond. Circa 1718.

Damnation Seize My Soul by Chris Collingwood. (Y)
Half Price! - 50.00
 Spearheading the Falklands Task Force as it heads south in 1982, the carrier HMS Hermes is shown in company with two Type 21 frigates, HMS Arrow on the left and HMS Ardent in the near foreground.  In the far distance, HMS Glamorgan glints in the sun as Type 42 HMS Sheffield cuts across behind Hermes.

HMS Hermes by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

A celebration of Nigel Mansells success in winning the Formula 1 World Championship and the Indy Car Championship in successive years. A celebration of the magnificent talents of Nigel Mansell. He made his debut in Formula 1 in 1981 and his superb driving technique made an instant impact. He recorded victory after victory coming agonisingly close to being world champion many times before gaining his well deserved Formula 1 title in 1992. The following year he recorded an unprecedented double, gaining the Indy Car championship in 1993. A feat that reserves his name quite rightly in the record books.
Mansell by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - 45.00
B47. Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.

Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 40.00
 Marcus Gronholm.  Peugeot 206 WRC.
Reflections of a Champion by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 30.00
 Jenson Button.  Reanult R202
Young Gun by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 30.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

F-4C Phantom II of Colonel Robin Olds of the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, January 1967.

Colonel Robin Olds by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - 725.00
 En route to the dams of the Ruhr Valley, the first wave of three specially adapted Avro Lancasters roar across the Dutch wetlands on the night of 16 -17th May 1943 led by Wing Commander Guy Gibson, their mission to breach the Mohne and Eder dams, thus robbing the German war machine of valuable hydro-electric power and disrupting the water supply to the entire area.  Carrying their unique, Barnes Wallis designed 'Bouncing Bomb' and flying at just 30m above the ground to avoid radar detection, 617 Squadron's Lancasters forged their way into the enemy territories, following the canals of the Netherlands and flying through forest fire traps below treetop height to their targets.  Gibson's aircraft ('G'-George) is nearest with 'M'-Mother of Fl/Lt Hopgood off his port wing and 'P'-Peter (Popsie) of Fl/Lt Martin in the distance.

Dambusters - The First Wave by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 70.00
The last purely British fighter aircraft to be used by the Royal Air Force, the Lightning offered a truly massive performance advantage over existing equipment when it was introduced into squadron service in 1960, achieving level flight speed of around, 1400mph. The prototype known as the P1 had flown in 1954 but production aircraft were not available until 1959, a long gestation period but perhaps understandable with such an advanced machine with many untried, new features. The painting shows an F1A of 111 squadron taking off from its base at Wattisham. The remarque drawing shows an aircraft of 56 squadron Firebirds in 1963 when they were the official RAF aerobatics team for that year. 337 Lightnings were produced, serving with nine squadrons of the Royal Air Force before being supersede by the Phantom and Tornado.
BAC Lightning by Keith Woodcock.
Half Price! - 20.00
 A swordfish from HMS Warspite on patrol off the coast of Egypt, near the port of Alexandria.

Out of Alex by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 35.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Vielsalm, Belgium, 22nd December 1944.  Men of the 508th PIR, along with the rest of the 82nd Airborne Division were rushed to the Ardennes and deployed in an attempt to halt the onslaught of 6th SS Panzer Army, specifically Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Holding the Line by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 70.00
 Ernst Barkmanns (Das Reich, 2nd SS Panzer Division) famous day long solo engagement against an American Armoured breakthrough towards St. Lo, Normandy, 26th July 1944.

Barkmanns Corner by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 100.00
 Troops of the 1st Hampshires assaulting Gold Beach during the Normandy Landings. Gold beach was one of the British beaches on D-Day. Gold beach was the western most beach of the British beaches, on D-Day. Gold beach was between two twenty metre high cliffs where German fortifications had been built. The beach had been protected by concrete casemates which took some time to break through. This happened with support form British tanks in the afternoon of D-day 6th June. The British tanks and reinforcements moved off the beaches towards Saint-Come-de-Fresene and Arromanches which were both liberated by 9pm.

D-Day Gold Beach, 6th June 1944 by Simon Smith. (AP)
Half Price! - 100.00
 Goch-Gennep, Germany, 9th February 1945.  The Sturmgeschutz III of Leutnant Heinz Deutsch, Stug-Brigade XII, and paratroops of 7th Fallschirmjager Division counterattacking the Allied advance into the Reichswald forest in the final months of the war.  The small Stug brigade numbering at its peak only 30 assault guns was responsible for the destruction of 250 allied tanks, Deutsch's gun claiming 44 of that total.

Defenders of the Reichswald by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - 700.00