World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 30-03-2012, 06:54
Vice-Admiral

Default RN Schools

Sandy / All, here I introduce a Thread on Royal Naval Schools.
This can take in GANGES / Greenwich / Dartmouth / Pangbourne / Swanley / Waterlooville & all. Although GANGES has a Thread of its own.
Sandy is kindly helping me with queries on Waterlooville in which I was 1941-1944. Here are two pics of the Home / Orphanage known as `Hopfield', Stakes Hill Road, Waterlooville, Portsmouth.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB1.jpg (312.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg HLB2.jpg (181.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 30-03-2012, 08:08
Vice Commodore

Default Re: RN Schools

An old mate of mine was a schoolboy on the TS Arethusa (from the age of 12 I think) and joined the navy at HMS St Vincent as soon as he was 15 - we were at Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar) together 1960/61

Best regards

T
Old 30-03-2012, 11:11
Vice Commodore

Good afternoon Sadsac, being an ex Ganges Boy 57-58 remember many young lads in my recruitment who came from TS Aretusa, if remember correctly there was a hospital school in the area also, do not remember the name, was it Holbrook???.
Over the years I have been returning to MALTA on a yearly basis, in my spare time I have been doing research on the island.
One of the websites I have found is about a school for service children, named ROYAL NAVAL SCHOOL TAL-HANDAQ Malta, definately worth a looksee.

Derek (Bunts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newbadge.jpg (8.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-03-2012, 12:06
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dicker View Post
Good afternoon Sadsac, being an ex Ganges Boy 57-58 remember many young lads in my recruitment who came from TS Aretusa, if remember correctly there was a hospital school in the area also, do not remember the name, was it Holbrook???.
Over the years I have been returning to MALTA on a yearly basis, in my spare time I have been doing research on the island.
One of the websites I have found is about a school for service children, named ROYAL NAVAL SCHOOL TAL-HANDAQ Malta, definately worth a looksee.

Derek (Bunts)
Hi Derek,do you remember Reeves in our recruitment? he was I believe ex Arethusa,the web site you mention is a must for anyone who served in Malta,

Alan
Old 30-03-2012, 14:50
Vice-Admiral

T / Bunts / Alan. I do remember Arethusa being in the news circa 1950ish for the `inmates' having a strike / protest !! Pics of them waving banners on gang-plank protesting on the food (as I recall). They should have thought they were better off than Swanley - there it was `bread & scrape' / B & marge / B & jam (no scrape) / just bread - but the bread & dripping (one round in morning) was marvellous. Should have gone to Holbrook (thats near Arethusa area.)

Sadsac
Old 30-03-2012, 15:44
Lieutenant-Commander

TS MERCURY, now HMS GANNET in Chatham Historic Dockyard, was another naval school, which I believe was at Hamble-le-Rice in Hampshire.

Gordon
Old 30-03-2012, 15:51
Captain

A few miles up the road from Ganges in Holbrook is The Royal Hospital School
once nicknamed The Cradle of the Navy.
Old 31-03-2012, 14:48
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis a feary View Post
Sandy / All, here I introduce a Thread on Royal Naval Schools.
This can take in GANGES / Greenwich / Dartmouth / Pangbourne / Swanley / Waterlooville & all. Although GANGES has a Thread of its own.
Sandy is kindly helping me with queries on Waterlooville in which I was 1941-1944. Here are two pics of the Home / Orphanage known as `Hopfield', Stakes Hill Road, Waterlooville, Portsmouth.

Sadsac
I'm on the case Dennis.

Your second image (black and white) looks remarkably like the edifice at the bottom of my mate's garden.

(Not suggesting it's his shed; rather a building over the road from his rear fence).

I'll keep you posted via PM.

Cheers,

Sandy.
Old 31-03-2012, 15:28
Petty Officer

This is a photo of RNAS Bramcote in 1953 , a training establishment for Naval Air Mechanics (and others).
As you can see It had a rather unfortunate name and I guess most used Bramcote rather than Gamecock when explaining where they were stationed.
Incidently, it was situated near Nuneaton, about as far from the sea as you can get!

Baz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scanned Document.jpg (1.08 MB, 37 views)
Old 31-03-2012, 15:33
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

Did a fortninght under canvas at Gamecock with the sea cadests in the 50's, my first introduction to blue liners ponced off the ships company.

Mitch Hinde
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10
Vice-Admiral

Re Waterlooville - here is the `Advert' as it appeared in the Navy List of 1945.
Trust it comes out !
OK Re PM Sandy.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB7 001.jpg (813.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12
Vice-Admiral

Thanks for that Dennis.

Another piece in the jigsaw.

Sandy.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46
Admiral

Not exclusively an RN school but with naval connections,see:-
--------
Queen Victoria School, Dunblane

Queen Victoria School in Dunblane is a Military School funded by the Ministry of Defence to provide stability and continuity of education, within the Scottish system, for the children of UK Armed Forces personnel who are Scottish, have served in Scotland or are part of a Scottish Regiment. The school is fully boarding, co-educational and tri-service accommodating 270 pupils from age 10/11 to 18. qvs.org.uk/home Royal Grammar School, Worcester CCF (Naval Unit) Royal Grammar School, Worcester describes itself as a dynamic school with a proud heritage. The school has a strong Combined Cadet Force Unit with a thriving Naval contingent. www.rgsw.org.uk/rgsw/activities
--------

from; affiliations with HMS Montrose F236:-
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Flee...e/Affiliations

see also:-
--------
Queen Victoria School in Dunblane is funded by the Ministry of Defence to provide stability and continuity of education, within the Scottish system, for the children of UK Armed Forces personnel who are Scottish, have served in Scotland or are part of a Scottish Regiment.

Fully boarding, co-educational and tri-service (for Army, Navy and RAF children), the School takes around 270 pupils from the ages of 10/11 up to 18. All necessary costs are met by the Ministry of Defence.
--------
http://qvs.org.uk/home

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 03-04-2012, 20:02
Vice-Admiral

Hopfield House, Waterlooville, as taken yesterday morning Dennis.

I am led to believe that it is indeed the building at the bottom of my mate's garden.

"RESIDENTS TROUBLED BY GHOSTLY LANDLORD"

In his book, David Scanlan details the tale of Hopfield House, Waterlooville ? once a countryside retreat and now converted into flats.

The house was built by an Edward Fawkes, whose aim it was that the mansion should always be occupied by his descendants alone.

Legend has it that Fawkes' ghost appeared to tenants in the 1800s, who promptly left, and an affluent family who bought the house years later suffered terrible misfortunes.

Of course, these could have been coincidences. But David says he still receives the occasional e-mail from residents claiming that something untoward may still be lurking in Hopfield House."

Perhaps you may recall similar tales as a young resident all those years ago?

Sandy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hopfield House 2-4-12.jpg (129.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#2 2-4-12.jpg (133.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#3 2-4-12.jpg (113.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#4 2-4-12.jpg (185.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44
Vice-Admiral

WOW Sandy, great stuff, great stuff indeed, and many thanks for posting the pics of Hopfield. About 2 / 3 years ago I called in to Waterlooville looking for the building & could not find it - time was short as `Pub-time' called.
Here is a picture of group of `inmates' circa 1943ish !!
Stories will follow later.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAF2.jpg (286.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50
Vice Commodore

Great picture Dennis - wouldn't be great to know what they are all doing now?

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41
Vice-Admiral

They certainly didn't look starved during the austere times of WWII Teuchter.

Great to see that they were well cared for, and no wonder Dennis has fond memories.

So glad Waterlooville looked after you well Dennis.

And if you need any follow-up, just yell.

Sandy.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:39
Vice Commodore

Aye Sandy - the scran must have been pretty good there - maybe an ex Pusser killick chef I/C

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 16:50
Vice-Admiral

T - I know what one fellow is doing now !! The little fellow second row up standing in the middle - he now contributes to this great Forum, and has reached the dizzy heights of Rear-Admiral !!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 19:40
Vice Commodore

Good on yer Dennis - are you still in touch with any other of your colleagues?

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 20:59
Leading Seaman

Born and bred Purbrook,can remember the schhols in Stakeshill road Waterlooville,also South Africa Lodge,that is no longer in its old location, but has moved closer to Waterlooville and is now a convalescent home. I went to the Royal Hospital School Holbrook when aged 11. The school RHS was originally the Greenwich Hospital School,and is this year celebrating its Tercentenary,the school moved from Greenwich to Holbrook (Suffolk) in 1932. it was made up of 11 houses, each housing 60-70 pupils,all boys, each house named after a famous seafarer.One good book about the school is "Cradle of the Navy" Like many other pupils i left at the age of 15 to join the RN, which was Daddies Yacht after Holbrook.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38
Vice-Admiral

T - No, none from Hopfield. I was there age 4 to 7 so `children'.
I have memories of the time there, more of which later.
At 7 I went to Greenwich & then it was either Holbrook or Swanley.
For whatever reason I fetched-up in Swanley & was there until 16.
Here is a picture of Queen Victoria visiting Hopfield. Not very good I am afraid as it is a copy of a photo. At the time of its copying the copy machine at RNSM was `on-the-blink'. Dear Gus Britton (ex-Holbrook boy), was most incensed at the `modern-technology'.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB20 001.jpg (617.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 26-01-2013, 11:51
Vice-Admiral

Here is an `Advert' gleaned from the Navy List of 1905.
Did not know then of the great conflicts to come.
Not too clear, butbest I can do.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WNSFNL 001.jpg (1.03 MB, 15 views)
Old 26-01-2013, 19:48
Admiral

Dennis, the following excerpts have been plucked from several sites on t'internet and relate to another Royal Naval School,

First at Camberwell, London:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Royal Naval School was an English school that was established in Camberwell, London, in 1833 and then formally constituted by the Royal Naval College Act 1840.[1] It was a charitable institution, established as a boarding school for the sons of officers in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. Many of its pupils achieved prominence in military and diplomatic service.
A purpose-built school building was designed by the architect John Shaw Jr, and opened in about 1844 at New Cross in south-east London (close to Deptford and Greenwich, both areas with strong naval connections).
(See attachment below)

However, the school soon outgrew this building and relocated to Mottingham in 1889. (The building remained in educational use, being sold to the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths for £25,000, and being re-opened by the Prince of Wales in July 1891 as the "Goldsmiths' Technical and Recreative Institute" – more commonly known simply as the "Goldsmiths' Institute".[2] In 1904, it became the main building of Goldsmiths College.)

The Royal Naval School remained at Mottingham (in a building today occupied by Eltham College) until it closed in 1910

source Wiki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Peckham Road, by which we now proceed, we pass, on our left, one of the two asylumslicensed for the reception of lunatics in Camberwell. This asylum, known as Camberwell House,with its surrounding pleasure and garden grounds,occupies a space of some twenty acres, part ofwhich is laid out in a park-like manner, theremainder being kept for the use of the patientswho take an interest in garden pursuits. The principal building, formerly known as AlfredHouse, was erected by Mr. Wanostrocht for a school, which he conducted for many years witheminent success.
The house was afterwards used by the Royal Naval School, which, as we havealready seen, was subsequently removed to NewCross. (fn. 4) The Royal Naval School was projected by Captain Dickson; was started by voluntary contributions, headed by the handsome donation of£10,000 from the late Dr. Bell; and had for itsobject the education of the sons of those naval andmarine officers whose scanty incomes did not allowthem to provide a first-rate education for their boys. Its office was represented, from 1831 to 1833, by asecond-floor room in Jermyn Street, St. James's; and here its founders and projectors regularly meton board days, and worked for the advancement of the interests of the Royal Naval School. They were famous men who went up those stairs to thehumble committee-room in Jermyn Street—menwhose names are household words amongst us now,and whom history will remember. William IV.,"the Sailor King," was interested in this school,and met there Yorke, Blackwood, Keats, Hardy,Codrington, and Cockburn—brave admirals andfamous "old salts," some of whom could recollect, mayhap, what a struggle it was to live likea gentleman once, and bring up their boys asgentlemen's sons, on officer's pay. Alfred Housewas for a time the institution which uprose fromthe committee's first deliberations, from voluntarycontributions, and unaided by that Government grant which it deserved as an impetus in the first instance, and which to this day, and for reasonsinexplicable to all connected with the service andthe school, it has been unable to obtain.

Source here at British History online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and then the move to Mottingham:-

The Royal Naval School in Mottingham

Most of you know by now that the School for the Sons of Missionaries moved to Mottingham in 1912 and became Eltham College. That’s why 2012 will be a year of centenary celebrations, including a new history book about the school, based on pictures, called Our Century. I should know; I’m writing it.
But the main buildings of our school are much older than 100 years.

What was here before 1912? The answer is another school: the Royal Naval School. The building, originally known as Fairy Hall, has been there since about 1700; it was a private residence and a “country retreat” for people who otherwise lived and worked in London, which was several miles away. It became a school only in 1889 when the Royal Naval School moved from New Cross, vacating a building there which is now Goldsmiths College.

The official opening was on 17th July 1889. The Kentish Mercury described the school as follows:
A first floor gallery, which opens out to six dormitories, masters’ and servants’ apartments, and bedrooms; a central hall on the ground floor, with six large classrooms; a passage to a dining hall big enough for 200 boys; a quadrangle with two fives courts, a swimming pool and a gymnasium; through an arched passageway, the Headmaster’s house and the Bursar’s house. The premises were altered and enlarged for the purposes of
the school; the new buildings included a chemical laboratory and lecture room. The 1891 prospectus refers to a detached Sanatorium, now the White House.

There are excellent pictures in the press of the time; these can be viewed in Lewisham Library, Archives Section, along with much more material about the Naval School, on which this article is based. It’s best to make an appointment and the helpful staff will prepare for your visit.
As the Eltham College Archivist, I sometimes receive queries about boys who attended the school around 1900. The problem is, which school? The Naval School used the term Eltham College, or Eltham College (Royal Naval School) as early as 1892, for example on the prospectus, the Prize Day programme and the Form Lists of that year. But much later, e.g. in 1908, it was not always used (see below left). All very confusing.

Prize giving in 1900 was carried out by HRH the Prince of Wales, soon to be King Edward VII. This was widely reported
in the press. The Chapel foundation stone was laid on July 18th 1903 (see picture, below) and the Opening and Dedication
Service was on June 2nd 1904. We were particularly fortunate that the Naval School built the chapel before leaving the
premises. The story of the building of the Chapel requires more space than is available here.

What sort of a school was the Royal Naval School? To be honest, it was rather like our school. There were concerts and debates, much sport including rugby, cricket, swimming and fives, academic success including places at Oxford, prize day, a House competition and so on. Their Headmaster was in Holy Orders. OK, we don’t have an annual “Assault-at-Arms”, but otherwise their school, as reflected in their magazine, confusingly called the Elthamian (see previous page), was similar to ours and many others.

So why did the school close in 1910? Basically because of a lack of money. Try as they might, they couldn’t attract enough
pupils. Even extending the intake to sons of gentlemen who had nothing to do with the Navy didn’t help. Osborne College
on the Isle of Wight was more attractive. By 1910 there were just 53 pupils, of whom 13 were to withdraw at the end of the summer term. Funds were £191 with liabilities around £900. Subscribers were down from 569 in 1890 to 100 in 1910, of whom only 30 were naval officers. Two appeals in recent years had hardly met their own expenses. Headmaster Rubie, who had waived part of his salary in order to help the school’s finances, declared that no further economies could be effected without destroying the character of the school. There was also an “incident” in 1909, which did not help. Never mind what that was all about.

But let us not be too sad about the demise of the Royal Naval School. On the contrary, their loss was our gain. For just £6,800 we purchased the buildings and a small amount of land in front of the main entrance. The playing fields were not part of the deal, as these were sold separately, eventually to the YMCA. When we moved in we had to erect a fence to keep trespassers out. They moved out in July 1910 but we didn’t move in until January 1912. There was much work to be done in the meantime, costing a further £7,500. The auction of the entire contents of the Royal Naval School took place on 13th and 14th September. We have the catalogue, which appears to indicate that the SSM purchased many practical items for use in situ, such as benches, cutlery etc for the dining-hall. The auction raised £982 4s 4d.

From the Chapel, tablets with the names of Old Boys killed in action were removed to the Royal Naval College in Greenwich. Other tablets were to be removed by the families concerned, if they wished, at their own expense. One was not
removed and is still there (see left). We had someone on the premises for over a year before we moved in. Mr Sydney Moore, the wonderfully inspirational and successful French teacher (1902-15), had been living in the sanatorium since September 1910, showing visitors around and keeping an eye on the place. When we moved in, the modern facilities included electric light and central heating. But that’s another story, told in Our Century. Make sure you get a copy in 2012. (see 2nd attachment)

Source THE ELTHAMIAN ARCHIVES where other images associated with the article can be viewed

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiki 800px-Goldsmiths_Main_Building.jpg (147.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Elthamian Royal Naval School (2).jpg (245.6 KB, 3 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 26-01-2013 at 20:13.
Old 28-03-2013, 16:44
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dicker View Post

Derek (Bunts)
My brother was Assistant Headmaster at Verdala school in Malta for a number of years. He was made an honourary member of the Wardroom of FORTH, berthed in Msida Creek just down the road from his pad. Later he was Headmaster at the school for service personnel's children at Singapore NB.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1933 : HMS Cairo : Arrived Palma

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

The cruiser HMS Frobisher dominates this scene off Houlgate at the Normandy landings of 1944.  The monitor HMS Roberts lies beyond Frobisher with a Large Infantry Landing Ship or LSI (L) unshipping its LCAs on the extreme right of the picture.  In the foreground, a motor launch attends a group of LCP (L)s as they head for the French beaches.  Two Spitfire Mk.IXs conduct sweeps overhead as Operation Neptune gathers momentum.

HMS Frobisher and HMS Roberts at Normandy by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £4000.00
Nimrod MR2P from 201 squadron based at RAF Kinloss, climbs away under full power during NATO exercises off the west coast of Scotland. The Nimrod has just completed simulated depth charge attacks on the fleet submarine HMS Spartan and is returning to Kinloss for breakfast. Spartan turns and heads for the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on the Gareloch.

Good Morning, Spartan by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £55.00
 The print depicts the moment as the first Hurricane of 46 squadron of the Royal Air Force, piloted by Sqn Ldr Kenneth Cross, without arrestor hooks or wires approaches the ill-fated carrier HMS Glorious. during the evacuation of Norway in June 1940.  Bing later said <i>We showed them they were wrong</i>. The Fleet Air Arm pilots were delighted saying <i>Marvelous bloody marvelous, now we will get them too</i>.  All had landed safely by 4.30am on June 8th.
Moment of Truth by Keith Woodcock. (Y)
Half Price! - £75.00
B69AP. HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth at Alexandria by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth at Alexandria by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00

The destroyer HMS Kelly passes close to the old carrier HMS Eagle as she escorts a convoy in the Mediterranean early in 1941.

HMS Kelly by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 Royal Fleet Auxiliary Olna prepares to receive HMS Active (F171) during the Falklands campaign of 1982.  HMS Coventry (D118) is in the background
RFA Olna by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £625.00
 HMS Medway was the first Royal navy submarine Depot ship that was designed for the purpose from the outset. She is shown here with a quintet of T-class submarines on her starboard side, whilst an elderly L-Class begins  to move away having completed replenishment. HMS Medway was sunk on 30th June 1940 having been torpedoed by U-372 off Alexandria.

HMS Medway by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £15.00
HMS Celandine flower class corvette escorting Atlantic convoy in the middle distance the carrier HMS Biter is shown.
HMS Celandine by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

SP4AP.  Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.

Desert Orchid by Mark Churms (AP)
Half Price! - £50.00

Michael Atherton by Keith Fearon.
Half Price! - £70.00
B43. Damon Hill/ Williams Renault FW.18 by Ivan Berryman

Damon Hill/ Williams Renault FW.18 by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £40.00
A montage of moments from the outstanding Welsh 6 Nation Championship Grand Slam Victory of 2005.
The Perfect Year - Wales Grand Slam Champions 2005 by Darren Baker. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

In 1944 Berlin was probably the most defended city in the world.  The Luftwaffe had kept what reserves it had for planes to defend Berlin.  On March 6th, 1944, The USAAF were involved in the massive air raid on Berlin, 69 B17s were lost – but the Luftwaffe lost 160 planes.  Whereas the US 8th Air Force could recover from these aircraft losses, the German Luftwaffe could not.  By the end of the war, the 8th Air Force and the Royal Air Force had destroyed 70% of Berlin.

Berlin Bound by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - £25.00
 Under the watchful eye of his more experienced tutor a trainee pilot gets his first taste of the Spitfire Mk.IIa, airborne from Tangmere early in 1941.  the nearest aircraft is P7856 (YT-C) which enjoyed a long career, surviving until 1945.

The Fledgling by Ivan Berryman. (B)
Half Price! - £100.00
 Depicting Mustang aircraft escorting Flying Fortresses on a bombing raid over Germany.

Guardian Angel by Anthony Saunders. (P)
Half Price! - £2750.00
The B-17 Flying Fortress 'Memphis Belle' returns from one of her 25 mission over France and Germany.  Memphis Belle, a  B-17F-10-BO, USAAF Serial No.41-24485, was supplied to the USAAF on July 15th 1942, and delivered to the 91st Bomb Group in September 1942  at Dow Field, Bangor, Maine.  Memphis Belle deployed to Scotland at Prestwick on September 30th 1942 and went to RAF Kimbolton on October 1st, and then to her permanent base at Bassingbourn on October 14th.1942.  Memphis Belle was the first United States Army Air Force heavy bomber to complete 25 combat missions with her crew intact.  The aircraft and crew then returned to the United States to promote and sell war bonds.  The Memphis Belle B-17 is undergoing extensive restoration at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

Coming Home by Tim Fisher (AP)
Half Price! - £70.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Unterscharfurher Karl-Heinz Turk of the Schwere SS Panzerabteilung 503, in one of the units few remaining Kingtigers, defends the Potsdammer Platz along with elements of the Munchberg Division against the rapidly encroaching Soviet forces.

The Last Battle, Berlin, April 30th 1945 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Captain R. Blair Paddy Mayne, and men of L detachment SAS, stop to discuss their location en route to Sidi Haneish airfield. The raid was a major victory, especially for the newly acquired jeeps, which played an important part in the destruction of some 40 enemy aircraft for the loss of one man.

Paddys Troopers, The Sidi Haneish Road, 17th July 1942 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Although in the process of regrouping after their escape from the Cherkassy Pocket, Panthers and Panzer Grenadiers of the crack 5th SS Panzer Division Wiking are part of the relief force hastily assembled and thrown in to free the strategically important city of Kowel in the Pripet Marshes. By April 10th the Soviet encirclement of the city was broken and Wiking were pulled out of the line to continue refitting.

Fight for Kowel, Poland, March/April 1944 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £95.00
 Replacements from 1st Battalion Irish Guards and Sherman tanks of the 46th Royal Tank Regiment move through the debris of Anzio town towards their jump-off positions for the Battle of Campoleone Station.

Anzio, Italy, February 1944 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00