World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 30-03-2012, 06:54
Vice-Admiral

Default RN Schools

Sandy / All, here I introduce a Thread on Royal Naval Schools.
This can take in GANGES / Greenwich / Dartmouth / Pangbourne / Swanley / Waterlooville & all. Although GANGES has a Thread of its own.
Sandy is kindly helping me with queries on Waterlooville in which I was 1941-1944. Here are two pics of the Home / Orphanage known as `Hopfield', Stakes Hill Road, Waterlooville, Portsmouth.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB1.jpg (312.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg HLB2.jpg (181.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 30-03-2012, 08:08
Vice Commodore

Default Re: RN Schools

An old mate of mine was a schoolboy on the TS Arethusa (from the age of 12 I think) and joined the navy at HMS St Vincent as soon as he was 15 - we were at Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar) together 1960/61

Best regards

T
Old 30-03-2012, 11:11
Vice Commodore

Good afternoon Sadsac, being an ex Ganges Boy 57-58 remember many young lads in my recruitment who came from TS Aretusa, if remember correctly there was a hospital school in the area also, do not remember the name, was it Holbrook???.
Over the years I have been returning to MALTA on a yearly basis, in my spare time I have been doing research on the island.
One of the websites I have found is about a school for service children, named ROYAL NAVAL SCHOOL TAL-HANDAQ Malta, definately worth a looksee.

Derek (Bunts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newbadge.jpg (8.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-03-2012, 12:06
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dicker View Post
Good afternoon Sadsac, being an ex Ganges Boy 57-58 remember many young lads in my recruitment who came from TS Aretusa, if remember correctly there was a hospital school in the area also, do not remember the name, was it Holbrook???.
Over the years I have been returning to MALTA on a yearly basis, in my spare time I have been doing research on the island.
One of the websites I have found is about a school for service children, named ROYAL NAVAL SCHOOL TAL-HANDAQ Malta, definately worth a looksee.

Derek (Bunts)
Hi Derek,do you remember Reeves in our recruitment? he was I believe ex Arethusa,the web site you mention is a must for anyone who served in Malta,

Alan
Old 30-03-2012, 14:50
Vice-Admiral

T / Bunts / Alan. I do remember Arethusa being in the news circa 1950ish for the `inmates' having a strike / protest !! Pics of them waving banners on gang-plank protesting on the food (as I recall). They should have thought they were better off than Swanley - there it was `bread & scrape' / B & marge / B & jam (no scrape) / just bread - but the bread & dripping (one round in morning) was marvellous. Should have gone to Holbrook (thats near Arethusa area.)

Sadsac
Old 30-03-2012, 15:44
Lieutenant-Commander

TS MERCURY, now HMS GANNET in Chatham Historic Dockyard, was another naval school, which I believe was at Hamble-le-Rice in Hampshire.

Gordon
Old 30-03-2012, 15:51
Captain

A few miles up the road from Ganges in Holbrook is The Royal Hospital School
once nicknamed The Cradle of the Navy.
Old 31-03-2012, 14:48
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis a feary View Post
Sandy / All, here I introduce a Thread on Royal Naval Schools.
This can take in GANGES / Greenwich / Dartmouth / Pangbourne / Swanley / Waterlooville & all. Although GANGES has a Thread of its own.
Sandy is kindly helping me with queries on Waterlooville in which I was 1941-1944. Here are two pics of the Home / Orphanage known as `Hopfield', Stakes Hill Road, Waterlooville, Portsmouth.

Sadsac
I'm on the case Dennis.

Your second image (black and white) looks remarkably like the edifice at the bottom of my mate's garden.

(Not suggesting it's his shed; rather a building over the road from his rear fence).

I'll keep you posted via PM.

Cheers,

Sandy.
Old 31-03-2012, 15:28
Petty Officer

This is a photo of RNAS Bramcote in 1953 , a training establishment for Naval Air Mechanics (and others).
As you can see It had a rather unfortunate name and I guess most used Bramcote rather than Gamecock when explaining where they were stationed.
Incidently, it was situated near Nuneaton, about as far from the sea as you can get!

Baz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scanned Document.jpg (1.08 MB, 37 views)
Old 31-03-2012, 15:33
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

Did a fortninght under canvas at Gamecock with the sea cadests in the 50's, my first introduction to blue liners ponced off the ships company.

Mitch Hinde
Old 01-04-2012, 07:10
Vice-Admiral

Re Waterlooville - here is the `Advert' as it appeared in the Navy List of 1945.
Trust it comes out !
OK Re PM Sandy.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB7 001.jpg (813.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:12
Vice-Admiral

Thanks for that Dennis.

Another piece in the jigsaw.

Sandy.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46
Admiral

Not exclusively an RN school but with naval connections,see:-
--------
Queen Victoria School, Dunblane

Queen Victoria School in Dunblane is a Military School funded by the Ministry of Defence to provide stability and continuity of education, within the Scottish system, for the children of UK Armed Forces personnel who are Scottish, have served in Scotland or are part of a Scottish Regiment. The school is fully boarding, co-educational and tri-service accommodating 270 pupils from age 10/11 to 18. qvs.org.uk/home Royal Grammar School, Worcester CCF (Naval Unit) Royal Grammar School, Worcester describes itself as a dynamic school with a proud heritage. The school has a strong Combined Cadet Force Unit with a thriving Naval contingent. www.rgsw.org.uk/rgsw/activities
--------

from; affiliations with HMS Montrose F236:-
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Flee...e/Affiliations

see also:-
--------
Queen Victoria School in Dunblane is funded by the Ministry of Defence to provide stability and continuity of education, within the Scottish system, for the children of UK Armed Forces personnel who are Scottish, have served in Scotland or are part of a Scottish Regiment.

Fully boarding, co-educational and tri-service (for Army, Navy and RAF children), the School takes around 270 pupils from the ages of 10/11 up to 18. All necessary costs are met by the Ministry of Defence.
--------
http://qvs.org.uk/home

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 03-04-2012, 20:02
Vice-Admiral

Hopfield House, Waterlooville, as taken yesterday morning Dennis.

I am led to believe that it is indeed the building at the bottom of my mate's garden.

"RESIDENTS TROUBLED BY GHOSTLY LANDLORD"

In his book, David Scanlan details the tale of Hopfield House, Waterlooville ? once a countryside retreat and now converted into flats.

The house was built by an Edward Fawkes, whose aim it was that the mansion should always be occupied by his descendants alone.

Legend has it that Fawkes' ghost appeared to tenants in the 1800s, who promptly left, and an affluent family who bought the house years later suffered terrible misfortunes.

Of course, these could have been coincidences. But David says he still receives the occasional e-mail from residents claiming that something untoward may still be lurking in Hopfield House."

Perhaps you may recall similar tales as a young resident all those years ago?

Sandy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hopfield House 2-4-12.jpg (129.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#2 2-4-12.jpg (133.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#3 2-4-12.jpg (113.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Hopfield House#4 2-4-12.jpg (185.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44
Vice-Admiral

WOW Sandy, great stuff, great stuff indeed, and many thanks for posting the pics of Hopfield. About 2 / 3 years ago I called in to Waterlooville looking for the building & could not find it - time was short as `Pub-time' called.
Here is a picture of group of `inmates' circa 1943ish !!
Stories will follow later.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAF2.jpg (286.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50
Vice Commodore

Great picture Dennis - wouldn't be great to know what they are all doing now?

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41
Vice-Admiral

They certainly didn't look starved during the austere times of WWII Teuchter.

Great to see that they were well cared for, and no wonder Dennis has fond memories.

So glad Waterlooville looked after you well Dennis.

And if you need any follow-up, just yell.

Sandy.
Old 04-04-2012, 15:39
Vice Commodore

Aye Sandy - the scran must have been pretty good there - maybe an ex Pusser killick chef I/C

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 16:50
Vice-Admiral

T - I know what one fellow is doing now !! The little fellow second row up standing in the middle - he now contributes to this great Forum, and has reached the dizzy heights of Rear-Admiral !!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 19:40
Vice Commodore

Good on yer Dennis - are you still in touch with any other of your colleagues?

Best regards

T
Old 04-04-2012, 20:59
Leading Seaman

Born and bred Purbrook,can remember the schhols in Stakeshill road Waterlooville,also South Africa Lodge,that is no longer in its old location, but has moved closer to Waterlooville and is now a convalescent home. I went to the Royal Hospital School Holbrook when aged 11. The school RHS was originally the Greenwich Hospital School,and is this year celebrating its Tercentenary,the school moved from Greenwich to Holbrook (Suffolk) in 1932. it was made up of 11 houses, each housing 60-70 pupils,all boys, each house named after a famous seafarer.One good book about the school is "Cradle of the Navy" Like many other pupils i left at the age of 15 to join the RN, which was Daddies Yacht after Holbrook.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38
Vice-Admiral

T - No, none from Hopfield. I was there age 4 to 7 so `children'.
I have memories of the time there, more of which later.
At 7 I went to Greenwich & then it was either Holbrook or Swanley.
For whatever reason I fetched-up in Swanley & was there until 16.
Here is a picture of Queen Victoria visiting Hopfield. Not very good I am afraid as it is a copy of a photo. At the time of its copying the copy machine at RNSM was `on-the-blink'. Dear Gus Britton (ex-Holbrook boy), was most incensed at the `modern-technology'.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLB20 001.jpg (617.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 26-01-2013, 11:51
Vice-Admiral

Here is an `Advert' gleaned from the Navy List of 1905.
Did not know then of the great conflicts to come.
Not too clear, butbest I can do.

Sadsac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WNSFNL 001.jpg (1.03 MB, 15 views)
Old 26-01-2013, 19:48
Admiral

Dennis, the following excerpts have been plucked from several sites on t'internet and relate to another Royal Naval School,

First at Camberwell, London:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Royal Naval School was an English school that was established in Camberwell, London, in 1833 and then formally constituted by the Royal Naval College Act 1840.[1] It was a charitable institution, established as a boarding school for the sons of officers in the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. Many of its pupils achieved prominence in military and diplomatic service.
A purpose-built school building was designed by the architect John Shaw Jr, and opened in about 1844 at New Cross in south-east London (close to Deptford and Greenwich, both areas with strong naval connections).
(See attachment below)

However, the school soon outgrew this building and relocated to Mottingham in 1889. (The building remained in educational use, being sold to the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths for £25,000, and being re-opened by the Prince of Wales in July 1891 as the "Goldsmiths' Technical and Recreative Institute" – more commonly known simply as the "Goldsmiths' Institute".[2] In 1904, it became the main building of Goldsmiths College.)

The Royal Naval School remained at Mottingham (in a building today occupied by Eltham College) until it closed in 1910

source Wiki

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Peckham Road, by which we now proceed, we pass, on our left, one of the two asylumslicensed for the reception of lunatics in Camberwell. This asylum, known as Camberwell House,with its surrounding pleasure and garden grounds,occupies a space of some twenty acres, part ofwhich is laid out in a park-like manner, theremainder being kept for the use of the patientswho take an interest in garden pursuits. The principal building, formerly known as AlfredHouse, was erected by Mr. Wanostrocht for a school, which he conducted for many years witheminent success.
The house was afterwards used by the Royal Naval School, which, as we havealready seen, was subsequently removed to NewCross. (fn. 4) The Royal Naval School was projected by Captain Dickson; was started by voluntary contributions, headed by the handsome donation of£10,000 from the late Dr. Bell; and had for itsobject the education of the sons of those naval andmarine officers whose scanty incomes did not allowthem to provide a first-rate education for their boys. Its office was represented, from 1831 to 1833, by asecond-floor room in Jermyn Street, St. James's; and here its founders and projectors regularly meton board days, and worked for the advancement of the interests of the Royal Naval School. They were famous men who went up those stairs to thehumble committee-room in Jermyn Street—menwhose names are household words amongst us now,and whom history will remember. William IV.,"the Sailor King," was interested in this school,and met there Yorke, Blackwood, Keats, Hardy,Codrington, and Cockburn—brave admirals andfamous "old salts," some of whom could recollect, mayhap, what a struggle it was to live likea gentleman once, and bring up their boys asgentlemen's sons, on officer's pay. Alfred Housewas for a time the institution which uprose fromthe committee's first deliberations, from voluntarycontributions, and unaided by that Government grant which it deserved as an impetus in the first instance, and which to this day, and for reasonsinexplicable to all connected with the service andthe school, it has been unable to obtain.

Source here at British History online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and then the move to Mottingham:-

The Royal Naval School in Mottingham

Most of you know by now that the School for the Sons of Missionaries moved to Mottingham in 1912 and became Eltham College. That’s why 2012 will be a year of centenary celebrations, including a new history book about the school, based on pictures, called Our Century. I should know; I’m writing it.
But the main buildings of our school are much older than 100 years.

What was here before 1912? The answer is another school: the Royal Naval School. The building, originally known as Fairy Hall, has been there since about 1700; it was a private residence and a “country retreat” for people who otherwise lived and worked in London, which was several miles away. It became a school only in 1889 when the Royal Naval School moved from New Cross, vacating a building there which is now Goldsmiths College.

The official opening was on 17th July 1889. The Kentish Mercury described the school as follows:
A first floor gallery, which opens out to six dormitories, masters’ and servants’ apartments, and bedrooms; a central hall on the ground floor, with six large classrooms; a passage to a dining hall big enough for 200 boys; a quadrangle with two fives courts, a swimming pool and a gymnasium; through an arched passageway, the Headmaster’s house and the Bursar’s house. The premises were altered and enlarged for the purposes of
the school; the new buildings included a chemical laboratory and lecture room. The 1891 prospectus refers to a detached Sanatorium, now the White House.

There are excellent pictures in the press of the time; these can be viewed in Lewisham Library, Archives Section, along with much more material about the Naval School, on which this article is based. It’s best to make an appointment and the helpful staff will prepare for your visit.
As the Eltham College Archivist, I sometimes receive queries about boys who attended the school around 1900. The problem is, which school? The Naval School used the term Eltham College, or Eltham College (Royal Naval School) as early as 1892, for example on the prospectus, the Prize Day programme and the Form Lists of that year. But much later, e.g. in 1908, it was not always used (see below left). All very confusing.

Prize giving in 1900 was carried out by HRH the Prince of Wales, soon to be King Edward VII. This was widely reported
in the press. The Chapel foundation stone was laid on July 18th 1903 (see picture, below) and the Opening and Dedication
Service was on June 2nd 1904. We were particularly fortunate that the Naval School built the chapel before leaving the
premises. The story of the building of the Chapel requires more space than is available here.

What sort of a school was the Royal Naval School? To be honest, it was rather like our school. There were concerts and debates, much sport including rugby, cricket, swimming and fives, academic success including places at Oxford, prize day, a House competition and so on. Their Headmaster was in Holy Orders. OK, we don’t have an annual “Assault-at-Arms”, but otherwise their school, as reflected in their magazine, confusingly called the Elthamian (see previous page), was similar to ours and many others.

So why did the school close in 1910? Basically because of a lack of money. Try as they might, they couldn’t attract enough
pupils. Even extending the intake to sons of gentlemen who had nothing to do with the Navy didn’t help. Osborne College
on the Isle of Wight was more attractive. By 1910 there were just 53 pupils, of whom 13 were to withdraw at the end of the summer term. Funds were £191 with liabilities around £900. Subscribers were down from 569 in 1890 to 100 in 1910, of whom only 30 were naval officers. Two appeals in recent years had hardly met their own expenses. Headmaster Rubie, who had waived part of his salary in order to help the school’s finances, declared that no further economies could be effected without destroying the character of the school. There was also an “incident” in 1909, which did not help. Never mind what that was all about.

But let us not be too sad about the demise of the Royal Naval School. On the contrary, their loss was our gain. For just £6,800 we purchased the buildings and a small amount of land in front of the main entrance. The playing fields were not part of the deal, as these were sold separately, eventually to the YMCA. When we moved in we had to erect a fence to keep trespassers out. They moved out in July 1910 but we didn’t move in until January 1912. There was much work to be done in the meantime, costing a further £7,500. The auction of the entire contents of the Royal Naval School took place on 13th and 14th September. We have the catalogue, which appears to indicate that the SSM purchased many practical items for use in situ, such as benches, cutlery etc for the dining-hall. The auction raised £982 4s 4d.

From the Chapel, tablets with the names of Old Boys killed in action were removed to the Royal Naval College in Greenwich. Other tablets were to be removed by the families concerned, if they wished, at their own expense. One was not
removed and is still there (see left). We had someone on the premises for over a year before we moved in. Mr Sydney Moore, the wonderfully inspirational and successful French teacher (1902-15), had been living in the sanatorium since September 1910, showing visitors around and keeping an eye on the place. When we moved in, the modern facilities included electric light and central heating. But that’s another story, told in Our Century. Make sure you get a copy in 2012. (see 2nd attachment)

Source THE ELTHAMIAN ARCHIVES where other images associated with the article can be viewed

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiki 800px-Goldsmiths_Main_Building.jpg (147.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Elthamian Royal Naval School (2).jpg (245.6 KB, 3 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 26-01-2013 at 20:13.
Old 28-03-2013, 16:44
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dicker View Post

Derek (Bunts)
My brother was Assistant Headmaster at Verdala school in Malta for a number of years. He was made an honourary member of the Wardroom of FORTH, berthed in Msida Creek just down the road from his pad. Later he was Headmaster at the school for service personnel's children at Singapore NB.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 11th January 1931 : HMS Beagle : Sailed Skiathos

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

HMS Glorious flying off a Fairey Swordfish at sunset with HMS Ardent off to Starboard.

HMS Glorious by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
B114.  HMS Carmania sinking the German armed liner SS Cap Trafalgar off Ilha da Trindade, South Atlantic. 14th September 1914.  By Ivan Berryman.
HMS Carmania sinking the German armed liner SS Cap Trafalgar off Ilha da Trindade, South Atlantic. 14th September 1914. By Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 HMS Ajax was built as a light cruiser at Barrow and launched in 1935. She saw service initially in the American and West Indies theatre before temporary commission in the Mediterranean. Then followed her never to be forgotten role in the Battle of the River Plate ending in the scuttling of the Graf Spey. She is seen here entering Portsmouth Harbour with the Isle of White in the background.

HMS Ajax by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £35.00
 Admiral von Spees Flagship SMS Scharnhorst leads SMS Gneisenau in the opening stages of engaging the Royal Naval ships east of the Falklands, 8th December 1914.

Battle of the Falkland Islands by Randall Wilson (P)
Half Price! - £1800.00

Spearheading the Falklands Task Force as it heads south in 1982, the carrier HMS Hermes is shown in company with two Type 21 frigates, HMS Arrow on the left and HMS Ardent in the near foreground.  In the far distance, HMS Glamorgan glints in the sun as Type 42 HMS Sheffield cuts across behind Hermes.

HMS Hermes by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 During a patrol on 6th July 1918, Christiansen spotted a British submarine on the surface of the Thames Estuary. He immediately turned and put his Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 floatplane into an attacking dive, raking the submarine C.25 with machine gun fire, killing the captain and five other crewmen. This victory was added to his personal tally, bringing his score to 13 kills by the end of the war, even though the submarine managed to limp back to safety. Christiansen survived the war and went on to work as a pilot for the Dornier company, notably flying the giant Dornier Do.X on its inaugural flight to New York in 1930. He died in 1972, aged 93.

Kapitanleutnant zur See Friedrich Christiansen by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £37.50
 Fully dressed and resplendent, HMS Hood is pictured preparing for King George Vs review of the Fleet in July 1935 as other capital ships take up their positions around her. Ramillies can be seen off Hoods port bow, Resolution astern, whilst just beyond her boat deck, the mighty Nelson gently nudges into position.

HMS Hood During the Fleet Review of 1935 by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
HMS Glowworm, burning severely after receiving hits from the mighty Admiral Hipper, is depicted turning to begin her heroic sacrifice off the Norwegian coast on 8th April 1940. Hugely out-gunned and already crippled, Glowworms captain, Lieutenant-Commander Roope rammed his destroyer into the side of the Admiral Hipper, inflicting a 40 metre rip in its armour belt before drifting away and exploding. 38 British sailors were rescued from the sea and Roope was awarded a posthumous VC for his bravery, the first earned by the Royal Navy in WWII.

The attack on the Admiral Hipper by HMS Glowworm by Ivan Berryman (Y)
Half Price! - £70.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Ralf Schumacher winning the first Grand Prix of his career in the Williams FW23. Ralf dominated the San Marino Grand Prix from the first corner to the chequered flag giving Williams its first win since 1997. History was made when the Schumachers became the first brothers in Formula 1 to win a Grand Prix. Imola April 2001.

The Italian Job by Michael Thompson
Half Price! - £75.00
 The Intercontinental Formula was first organised by British Racing Drivers Club to allow the racing of cars with 2000cc to 3000cc engines. At the time the 1500cc limit of Formula 1 had been instituted by the international ruling body in the belief that the smaller cars would mean safer racing. In reality this meant that the relatively easy to handle Formula 1 cars could be driven by less experienced drivers almost as fast as the most experienced master drivers. The result was that the car with fractionally more power was the deciding factor in winning the race, rather than the better driver but this also compromised track safety. The introduction of the Intercontinental Formula was seen as more of a challenge for the drivers, with the larger and more powerful cars requiring greater skill and experience than to drive the 1500cc cars of Formula 1. The 13th International Trophy on Saturday 6th May 1961 was the first race of the season to carry World Championship points and consisted of 80 laps of Silverstone, a total of 233 miles. Stirling Moss, having already won the International Sports Car Race in a Lotus earlier that day, was driving Rob Walkers 2.5 litre Cooper Climax and qualified 2nd on the grid despite being unhappy with the steering of his car. The starting grid front row was Bruce McLaren, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and Graham Hill and by the time the race started at 2.30pm a heavy rain meant that the track was not only soaked but also covered in oil and rubber from the previous races. World Champion Jack Brabham made a superb start, passed Moss and was first into Copse and by lap 4 Moss was in 3rd place led by Surtees and Brabham. Due to appalling conditions and poor visibility many of the cars were spinning or leaving the track and by lap 13 Brabham and Moss were 1st and 2nd with the rest of the field some distance behind. Moss now poured on the pressure and for the next few laps he tried to pass as he harried Brabham in a duel for the lead. The pair were now beginning to lap the tailenders and, at around a quarter of the distance Moss was held up by Flockhart, Brabhams team member, who had allowed Brabham to pass. Moss gestured angrily to Flockhart as he was unable to follow Brabham and, as the rain paused for a while the pace became faster. Suddenly and quite dramatically Moss passed both Flockhart and Brabham and within 2 laps had gained 5 seconds on the World Champion. As the rain returned in a deluge Moss mercilessly pushed on, increasing his lead to 1.5 minutes by the halfway mark. Although he could have taken things easily at this point Moss drove on relentlessly at a seemingly impossible pace and was now lapping most of the field for a second time. By the ¾ stage he completed his humiliation of Brabham by passing him for a second time to lap him representing a 3 mile lead. Moss eventually won the race in 2hrs 41 mins 19.2 secs, 1.5 laps ahead of Brabham and at least two laps ahead of the rest of the field in what were treacherous conditions. At the end of the race Moss summed up the experience as a nice ride, having proved himself to be one of the greatest and fastest drivers in the world under any conditions. Sir Stirling Moss believes this to be one of his finest ever drives.

A Moment of Triumph by Gerald Coulson. (Y)
Half Price! - £75.00
SFA7.  Galileo by Stephen Smith.

Galileo by Stephen Smith.
Half Price! - £70.00
 Twickenham, March 16th 1996.  England return to the running game to clinch victory in style over Ireland and retain the Five Nations Championship.

In Full Flight by Keith Fearon.
Half Price! - £80.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

A Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Sea Harrier turns to release its Sidewinder missiles at an Argentinean Airforce Dagger as it beats a hasty retreat after a near miss on Sir Bedivere and HMS Fearless in San Carlos Sound during the 1982 Falklands Islands conflict.

Action Over San Carlos by Geoff Lea.
Half Price! - £50.00
 A Wellington returns low over the calm, dawn water of the North Sea, vainly struggling to maintain both height and speed.

Dawn Return by Anthony Saunders (P)
Half Price! - £2400.00
 Jaguar GR3A from 41 (Fighter) Squadron based at RAF Coltishall and flown by Squadron Leader Ian Smith thunders down a Norwegian fjord.  Coltishall Jaguars regularly deploy on exercise in northern Norway as part of NATO's protection of its northern flank.  However, Spring of 2006 saw the closure of RAF Coltishall, the loss of an historic airfield.

Snowcat by Robert Tomlin. (Y)
Half Price! - £35.00
Depicting Mustang aircraft escorting Flying Fortresses on a bombing raid over Germany.

Guardian Angel by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - £25.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Commandos of 1st Special Service Brigade, led by Lord Lovat, are piped past the defenders of the Caen canal (Pegasus) bridge by piper Bill Millin. The bridge was originally taken in a coup de main attack by the gliders of 6th Airborne Divisions D Company, 2nd battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, led by Major John Howard earlier that morning. Shortly afterwards the glider troops were reinforced by 7 Parachute Battalion, and together they held the area against German attacks until the main British forces landing at Sword beach could fight through to join them.

Piper Bill, Pegasus Bridge, Normandy, 13.00hrs, 6th June 1944 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 King Tigers of Kampfgruppe von Rosen, 3rd Company Heavy Tank Battalion 503, preparing to move out from the Tisza bridgehead to counter Soviet pressure on German forces attacking to the northwest at Debrecen during the first battles to defend the Hungarian capital of Budapest.

Tigers in the Mist by David Pentland. (B)
Half Price! - £120.00
 The Germans launched their attack on the Kursk salient on 5th July 1943, and for both sides this was maximum effort. The Soviets, however, informed by intelligence of the impending German attack, had ample time to prepare huge defensive works with hundreds of planned anti tank belts.  They deployed 10 Tank Corps, 5 Tank Armies, 1 mechanised Corps and 14 Field Armies equipped with 4000 anti tank guns and 6000 tanks.  The Soviet Air Forces were equally impressive - 2600 aircraft.  The Germans, outnumbered in every department, were forced to scrape together whatever serviceable tanks they could from their badly under strength Panzer formations.  Most of the tanks deployed were old Panzer IIIs or IVs, with only 147 Tigers available for action.  The northern German attack made very little headway, but, in the south, the Germans had grouped all of the SS Panzer forces into the II SS Panzer Corps and these units, despite the enormous Soviet forces ranged against them, began to smash their way through the Soviet defences.  The Luftwaffe too had brought together 1200 aircraft and these made an immediate impact on the fighting - on the first day alone German fighters broke up massive formations of Soviet aircraft, over 400 victories being claimed.

Kursk - Clash of Steel by Nicolas Trudgian. (Y)
Half Price! - £130.00
 Oberfeldwebel Albert Kerscher, commander of 2nd company 511 Heavy Tank Battalion aided by a Panzer IV, two Hetzers, a Kingtiger and a Pak gun, successfully defended against concerted Soviet air and armoured attacks, his action buying valuable time for the evacuation of German wounded from Pilau and scoring his 100th victory in the process.

Kerschers Defence of Neuhauser Forest by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £90.00