World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > CGI and 3D Ship Modelling
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CGI and 3D Ship Modelling Computer based modelling of ships - please respect our server load and be sparing with images in this section - Thanks!

Old 19-01-2012, 15:11
Petty Officer

Default SMS Blücher 1908

This is my present model the armoured cruiser SMS Blücher form 1908. This will show her
final configuration with a tripod mast and as she looked at the battle of Dogger Bank.

Many thanks for your help Norbert!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blücher 05.jpg (517.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Blücher 06.jpg (1.23 MB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Blücher 07.jpg (1.23 MB, 47 views)
Old 31-01-2012, 11:48
Admiral

Default Re: SMS Blücher 1908

Really NICE work, as always! Do you have a source for hull sections or are you "eyeballing" its shape? Just doing her detailed shield would be "challenging" in my 3D software! Doable but time consuming........

How much time do you have in this model, so far? DFO
Old 31-01-2012, 21:32
Petty Officer

Thanks designeraccd...no eyeballing. I have been given a set of Blücher plans but they are an early concept plan and not the ones used to build the ship. On these plans some parts are wrong like the masts, rudder and there is even the admirals walkway around the stern which was never made. But the shape of the hull looks correct to me. I also have some photos of the later plan showing the masts and superstructure but there is some lens distortion. All in all I should have enough material to make a reasonable model. I am not sure how long the work has taken so far, perhaps 4-5 weeks. I have been working on another model last month if you would like to take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL0uH...6dAUAAAAAAAEAA
Old 09-02-2012, 04:12
Able Seaman

Beautiful detailed work, many thanks for posting, hope to see SMS Blucher completed.
Old 14-02-2012, 16:33
Petty Officer

Thanks allot, I also hope to see SMS Blücher completed . Might take a little longer to finish this one.
Old 28-03-2012, 10:53
Petty Officer

I have done some more work on the torpedo nets and fittings on the starboard side but there is still more to do.
I have made a simple animation showing the nets in the opened and closed position.

The file dimensions of this Gif. animation are too large to upload hear but it can be found at this address:

https://public.blu.livefilestore.com...etz.gif?psid=1
Old 25-04-2012, 10:28
Petty Officer

Just a small update the forward funnel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blücher 14.jpg (263.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 21:06
Petty Officer

I am working on the forward superstructure. It's not finished but perhaps worth uploading to show some progress on the model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blücher 12.jpg (1.68 MB, 63 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 14:47
Sub-Lieutenant

Scupper

Just had a look at your YouTube work - stunning! Well done.

Al Z
Old 08-05-2012, 13:45
Petty Officer

Thanks allot Al!

If anybody is interested in these short silent animations you can find them hear: http://www.youtube.com/user/3DWarships?feature=guide

I also have a rather poor website: http://sites.google.com/site/3dwarships/
Old 28-05-2012, 16:20
Petty Officer

The rear superstructure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blücher Rear Superstructure 01.jpg (635.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 24-11-2012, 23:16
Petty Officer

I am sorry for not finishing this model, it's not from lack of interest I just have too much other work to do at the moment.

[https://3ing6q.dm1.livefilestore.com/y1p09iT7yULBFhi2Ils6ahzrr_Gez-cHY89OHLczXiSftp6BFL0LVy1IcWl3hYRYiqvUNyQFwJjeICsa 8xtRR8KGOA04CdX8QRS/Bl%C3%BCcher%20Unfinished.jpg?psid=1
Old 25-11-2012, 04:17
Forum Moderator.

Unfinished or not, still and outstanding rendition, thanks for posting that!

Regards,

"With 2000 years of examples behind us we have no excuse, when fighting, for not fighting well." T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-11-2012, 13:57
Admiral

Very nice 3D "modeling"! How many hours do you estimate you have in her at this point? DFO
Old 25-11-2012, 17:43
Petty Officer

Thanks Don and thanks Designeraccd, I have never tried to work out how many hours a model takes to finish perhaps better not to.
Again sorry for the delay. The Blücher was a interesting ship in many ways, It would be interesting to model the inside of the ship.
Those tall reciprocating engines would be allot of fun.

Best Marsden
Old 25-11-2012, 19:10
Admiral

You are a glutton for "punishment", but to do the engines..WOW! Does data and or pics even exist that would allow you to do that accurately? Your 3D models make my little scratch built fleet look crude by comparison! All 444 of them.

Given the time I spend creating ID work for clients I obviously have to track my time exactly. Now I build 3D "models" that then become real after the client chooses a design theme or look he likes. We 5 axis CNC milled patterns cut directly from the math data of the chosen design. Therefore we have a +/- tolerance of 20 thou. (inches). After that FRP tools are laid up and stabilized against the sealed and sanded pattern.

My surfaces are normally quite complex, but I'm doing parts of vehicles not an armored cruiser. The turrets and superstructure are simple forms, but her hull form, overall, is as complex as anything I do. Therefore...quite a grand piece of work!

What software do you run? I use Rhino which is a specialized CAID software that allows complex surface modeling. The rendering software is Flamingo. DFO
Old 25-11-2012, 21:01
Petty Officer

We differ in that you have to work accurately while my work only has to look accurate. Yes cutting open the Blücher
would be a mammoth task. I don't know if plans and photos exist for the Blücher engines. I think they would certainly
look more interesting than the later turbines. It would also be interesting to show the weak point of the Blücher designed.
The ammunition conveyor belt running through the centre of the ship
Old 25-11-2012, 22:32
Lieutenant-Commander

I have just joined the forum and none of the links work for me
do you have any photographs of the work actually done on the model.
Would love to see them.
Geoff
Old 25-11-2012, 22:40
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boyer View Post
Unfinished or not, still and outstanding rendition, thanks for posting that!

Regards,
Completely echo that ... brilliant, as usual ...

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 26-11-2012, 12:52
Petty Officer

Hi Geoff , sorry for the broken links. I made some simple animations of the models which weren't very good.
Later I deleted them all. I haven't made many pictures of the Blücher model up until now as it's not finished.
Are you only interested in the Blücher, as there are some other WW1 German armoured cruisers and battle
cruisers models on my site:

https://sites.google.com/site/3dwarships/

Designeraccd ... Sorry I use 3d max to make the models.

Thanks Clive, I haven't done any work on this model for six months so I don't deserve your praise.
Old 26-11-2012, 14:33
Lieutenant-Commander

No I am not just interested in the Blucher - I am interested in good
warship models. My own era for building is the 60s - have made the
ships I served on in 1/96 scale
Geoff

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 19th January 2009 : HMS Cornwall : Souda Bay

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

B69AP. HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth at Alexandria by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Elizabeth at Alexandria by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
 The greatest naval battle of the First World War took place on the 31st of May and the 1st of June 1916, near the Danish province of Jutland.  It was the first and only sea battle between the British and German fleets, and certainly proved to be the clash of the Titans that the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill, had long planned.  Decisive victory was claimed by both sides, but, desperately fought though it was, the outcome was indecisive.  The Royal Navy suffered higher losses in both men and ships, but the German fleet never ventured out of harbour to seek battle again.  During the daylight fighting HMS Barham, under Rear Admiral Evan-Thomas, lead the 5th Battle Squadron (Valiant, Warspite and Malaya) and is seen here at 4.50pm exchanging with Hippers battle-cruisers to the south.

HMS Barham leads the 5th Battle Squadon at Jutland by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - £105.00
 To increase the strength of the US fleet in the Pacific during the critical early months of the war, USS Indiana went through the Panama Canal. On the 28th of November 1942 USS Indiana joined Rear Admiral Lee's aircraft carrier screening force. For the next 11 months, USS Indiana helped protect USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga, which had been supporting the US invasion on the Solomon Islands. On the 21st of October 1943 USS Indiana went to Pearl Harbor, but after only a couple of weeks left to support forces designated for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands. The battleship protected the carriers which supported the Marines during the bloody fight for Tarawa atoll. Then, in late January 1944, she bombarded Kwajalein for eight days prior to the Marshall Island landings on 1st February 1944. USS Indiana collided with the battleship USS Washington while refuelling destroyers, killing several men. Temporary repairs to her starboard side were made at Majuro and USS Indiana returned to Pearl Harbor on 13th February 1944 for additional repair work. The painting shows USS Indiana with one of the two carriers she protected.

USS Indiana, First Tour of Duty by Anthony Saunders. (Y)
Half Price! - £230.00
DHM1322.  HMS Glasgow by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Glasgow by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £50.00

Fairey Swordfish I, L9726 4M of 818 Sqn, HMS Ark Royal pulls a tight, climbing turn through a hail of anti-aircraft fire as its torpedo strikes home, jamming the steering gear of the mighty Bismarck and setting in motion the beginning of her dramatic end.

Bismarck by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £70.00
B103.  HMS Royal Sovereign and HMS Warspite departing Malta by Ivan Berryman.

HMS Royal Sovereign and HMS Warspite departing Malta by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £15.00
 Ships of the South Atlantic Task Force gather in San Carlos water during the Falklands Campaign of 1982. LCMs from HMS Fearless (L10) manoeuvre around their mother ship, with the logistic Ship RFA Sir Galahad (L3005) and the frigate HMS Argonaut (F56) in close attendance.

HMS Fearless by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £3000.00
 Besstrashniy (meaning Fearless) 434 heavy rocket ASW Destroyer is shown swinging to the port side of Pyotr Velikiy (meaning Peter the Great) a Kirov Class Cruiser as they clear a path for the carrier Minsk.

Arctic Waters by Randall Wilson.
Half Price! - £50.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Damon Hill, World Champion

King of the Track by Stuart Coffield
Half Price! - £20.00
 Marcus Gronholm.  Peugeot 206 WRC.
Reflections of a Champion by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - £30.00
 Ally McCoist of Glasgow Rangers and Scotland.  Produced to celebrate Scotlands most prolific goalscorer.  Super Ally became nothing short of a legend during his tenure with Glasgow Rangers of the Premier League.  It was not until Graeme Sounes took over as player manager of Rangers that McCoist really hit his stride and began to excel himself as the most prodigious goalscorer in the history of Scottish football.  Allys unprecedented career includes over 300 league goals for Rangers helping the club to 9 titles in a row, a Scottish Cup Winners medal, 2 UEFA Golden Boot awards, Scottish player of the year 91/92 and 61 Caps for his country resulting in 19 international goals.  Ally became one of Glasgow Rangers and Scotlands all time football heroes, and is now part of the Rangers coaching staff under Walter Smith.

Ally McCoist MBE by Scott Bridges.
Half Price! - £60.00
B47. Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.

Eddie Irvine/ Ferrari F.310. by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £40.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Britain's highest scoring Typhoon ace, Wing Commander J R Baldwin sweeps above Utah Beach on a sortie in support of the Allied forces' drive into mainland Europe following D-Day in June 1944.  He is shown flying one of his personal aircraft, Typhoon 1b MN935 'JBII'.

Wing Commander J R Baldwin by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £90.00
 Despite crippling damage to their Lancaster ED925 (G), the crew of AJ-M continued to press home their attack on the Mohne Dam on the night of 16th/17th May 1943. With both port engines ablaze, Flt Lt J V Hopgood forced his blazing aircraft on, releasing the Upkeep bomb just precious seconds too late to strike the dam, the mine instead bouncing over the wall and onto the power station below with devastating results. ED925 attempted to recover from the maelstrom, but the fuel fire was too intense and the aircraft was tragically lost, just two of her crew managing to escape the impact to spend the rest of the war as PoWs.

No Way Back by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £30.00
 Hypothetical engagement, Soviet airforce MIG19 shoots down a USAF RB47 Stratofortress during the 1960s.

Cold War Gone Hot by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £35.00
 Phantom II of US Marine Corps, VMFA-531 (Grey Ghosts) Vietnam, Danang April 1965.

Phantom II by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £35.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Commandos of 1st Special Service Brigade, led by Lord Lovat, are piped past the defenders of the Caen canal (Pegasus) bridge by piper Bill Millin. The bridge was originally taken in a coup de main attack by the gliders of 6th Airborne Divisions D Company, 2nd battalion Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, led by Major John Howard earlier that morning. Shortly afterwards the glider troops were reinforced by 7 Parachute Battalion, and together they held the area against German attacks until the main British forces landing at Sword beach could fight through to join them.

Piper Bill, Pegasus Bridge, Normandy, 13.00hrs, 6th June 1944 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
  Trapped within a rapidly decreasing perimeter, the exhausted BEF along with elements of the French 1st Army appeared to be at the mercy of the mighty Luftwaffe.  No one though had reckoned on the brilliant leadership of Admiral Ramsay nor the gallant and unstinting efforts of the military and civilians who managed to rescue over 330,000 troops in nine days.

Operation Dynamo, Dunkirk, France 24th May - 4th June 1940 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00
 Oberfeldwebel Albert Kerscher, commander of 2nd company 511 Heavy Tank Battalion aided by a Panzer IV, two Hetzers, a Kingtiger and a Pak gun, successfully defended against concerted Soviet air and armoured attacks, his action buying valuable time for the evacuation of German wounded from Pilau and scoring his 100th victory in the process.

Kerschers Defence of Neuhauser Forest by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £90.00
 Polish 7TP (Twin Turret) light tank of Captain F. Michalowskis training company breaks out from the street barricade to counter attack German reconnaissance elements.

Warsaw, September 1939 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £40.00