World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Military History > World War One > Battles and Battlefields
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Battles and Battlefields Topics covering WW1 battles and battlefields

Old 25-02-2011, 09:10
Admiral

Question Re: The Brave Fallen Of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

Thank you Martin, for your valuable input.My problem, apart from being a poor scribe; is the missing gaps in what will be "The Life and Death of my Grandfather".He was killed whilst taking and holding a village in France and
his body was never found-there are no testimonies from survivors, other than HOW he died.So the Grande Finale is almost a complete mystery-just how much can I fudge; and if I fudge- I know it is fiction!??

jainso31

HMS ANEMONE (K48)

Always on the Lookout!

Jim
Old 25-02-2011, 16:19
Leading Seaman

Default Re: The Brave Fallen Of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

Hi Jim

I know what you mean! My Great Uncle was with the Northumberland Fusiliers, when the whistle blew they were, according to one eye witness the first out of the trench. The Germans were recovering from the hours of shelling, however, according to another eye witness, as soon as they were up the German machine guns concentrated their fire in that direction, so, was this where he met his death, it was the most likely place. It could of course been when they reached the first or second trench, or when they were shelled by the Germans and by our own side in error, who knows?

He was recorded as at roll call as wounded, I guess he did not get killed outright. I can only assume that a pal saw what happened, but could not stop to help. Finally, it was not possible to bring him in from no man's land.

Like you, I know where and roughly when he died, but I must make assumptions about the 'How' based on what was going on around him and the most likely to have happened - 'wounded by machine gun bullets and died on the field of battle - with no proof, this is the best I can offer for my Great Uncle.

I would say that it did not matter how he died, the fact that he did was and is enough to make him a brave man in a situation that was very difficult, traumatic, and trying, he should be remembered for his deeds!

This is, of course, is how I feel about the situation of which you write, others will have their feelings, you can only allow them to decide.

Regards

Martin
Old 25-02-2011, 17:36
Admiral

Question Re: The Brave Fallen Of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

Thank you again ,my friend,for your ever so discerning overview of my dilemma.Like you I am fairly certain WHAT killed him.I have a letter to my GM from GF's erstwhile CO,also drawn into the desperate fighting of the German Spring Offensive, south of the Somme; on a 5th Army front. In the letter he tells her, that he was also wounded that day; and a badly wounded Sgt.told him that "he had been hit by the same shell which had killed Capt.Leask.5/NF"
I have been to the village many times and have taken many photographs and measurements; to build up a picture of how the village "could be taken"and have written a scenario around the theory- but is it good enough??

jainso31

HMS ANEMONE (K48)

Always on the Lookout!

Jim
Old 25-02-2011, 18:38
Leading Seaman

Hi Jim

"but is it good enough"

The answer to this question can only be given by those who read it, the problem is we all suffer from doubt, the work can be perfectly acceptable, but our thoughts are to allways do the best we can. It is a big leap of faith, but one we must make. The doubt makes success sweeter.

An exapmle of my point if I may? those who know us are less critical than those we meet on a forum and those on the forum may say "Great work", but do they really mean it, again self doubt creeps in.
I was searching the web for more snippets for the site when I came across an Australian forum and found to my amazement a thread about my site, if people who do not know you are more likely to write honestly about what they read. (I have signed up to the site, but I am still waiting confirmation)
Anyway, check it out and see the point I make?

http://desert-column.phpbb3now.com/v....php?f=8&t=567

Regards

Martin
Old 26-02-2011, 07:20
Admiral

Smile Re: The Brave Fallen Of Bellewaarde 16th June 1915

It is a big leap of faith,which if I don't take; I'll go to my grave not having done anything.I'm going to bite the bullet and get on with it; and as you say let others be the judges.Thank you for your kind patience and support.
I did take a look at website you left a link to-very impressive-all guys,like on this Forum, passionate about their interest-wanting to show what they've done,found.whatever.
I'll keep in touch ,if I may;and let you know how I'm getting along.
Kind Regards
jainso31

HMS ANEMONE (K48)

Always on the Lookout!

Jim
Old 26-02-2011, 09:32
Leading Seaman

Please do, Jim and you are very welcome

If you wish to pass something by me to see what I think, or just have a rant because things aren't going well, just P.M. or email me?

Kind regards

Martin
Old 28-02-2011, 09:09
Admiral

Unhappy Re: The Battle of Bellewaarde 1915: New Website

I thought the background and font colouring absolutely spot on -very easy on the eye.
NB.The Northumberlands had quite a sizeable "Butchers Bill"!?

jainso31

HMS ANEMONE (K48)

Always on the Lookout!

Jim
Old 01-03-2011, 17:15
Leading Seaman

Default Re: The Battle of Bellewaarde 1915: New Website

Thanks, Jim

Martin
Old 02-03-2011, 20:19
Leading Seaman

Default Bellewaarde 1915. Further Updates!

Just a quick note to let you know of further update to the Bellewaarde 1915 website!

www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk

Martin
Old 05-03-2011, 13:44
Admiral

Cool Re: Bellewaarde 1915. Further Updates!

Cracking bit of extra detail Martin.

jainso31

HMS ANEMONE (K48)

Always on the Lookout!

Jim
Old 06-03-2011, 19:57
Leading Seaman

Default Re: Bellewaarde 1915. Further Updates!

Thanks, Jim.

There is more to come in the following weeks, so keep your eyes open my friend!

Regards

Martin
Old 21-03-2011, 22:44
Leading Seaman

Default Re: Bellewaarde 1915. Further Updates!

A few more updates available to view!

martin
Old 15-04-2011, 19:28
Leading Seaman

Default Remembering the Fallen of Bellewaarde

The Battle of Bellewaarde took place on 16th June 1915
In memory of the men, British and German, who fought and fell

You can now leave a message of remembrance at:

click on the link at the bottom right of the main page
Old 23-12-2011, 15:08
Leading Seaman

Default Bellewaarde Update

Just thought that you might like to know!

The Battle of Bellewaarde website has just been updated with new information:
1 x 23rd November and 12 items 23rd December

When you access the site please press the F5 key at the top of your keyboard to refresh the computers cache memory, then go to the ‘Updates’ link at the bottom of the page.

Also, please leave feedback either on the site at ‘Guestbook’ at bottom of page or on this site.

I hope you enjoy viewing

Martin
Old 23-12-2011, 19:00
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Bellewaarde Update

Hello Martin and many thanks for your post and the link to the site. It would be nice to see the World Naval Ships Forum site listed with the Links.

Jim
Old 23-12-2011, 19:36
Leading Seaman

Say no more, Jim! I'll get it done on the next update.

Cheers!
Old 02-01-2012, 15:28
Leading Seaman

This forum is now recommended on the Bellewaarde website on the 'Links' page. To view this page a link can be found at the bottom of the main page.

Regards

Martin
Old 10-03-2012, 19:09
Leading Seaman

Jim, how are things going?

I thought I would catch up on your project and see how far you have managed to get.

Regards

Martin
Old 23-03-2014, 21:38
Leading Seaman

Default Re: Battle of Bellewaarde Ypres 16th June 1915

Just to let you know that the book will be available on Amazon in August this year. The author is Carole McEntee- Taylor and introduced by Martin Clift :-D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Battle-B.../dp/1783400528

Also we are raising funds for a battlefield memorial and you can donate at www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk You can find lots more information at https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Bellewaarde1915/

Thanks for your support in the early years

Matin

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 30th January 1938 : HMS Ajax : Arrived Coronel

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Midday, 21st October 1805, and Admiral Collingwoods flagship, the 100-gun HMS Royal Sovereign, breaks the allied line and delivers a shattering broadside on the Spanish flagship Santa Anna. Making great speed, Collingwoods ship had breached the Franco-Spanish line some distance ahead of the rest of his van and the Royal Sovereign suffered heavily as she quickly drew the attentions of three French and three Spanish ships. To her starboard, the French Indomitable can be seen firing into the British flagship while, astern of the Santa Anna, Belleisle and Fougueux are engaging ahead of Mars, Monarca and Pluton.

The Battle of Trafalgar - The First Engagement by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £325.00
One of the finest battleships of all time, Bismarck was built by the Blohm and Voss shipyard in Hamburg and launched in February 1939.  Her first duty was for commerce raiding in the north Atlantic.  Together with the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, the destroyers Z10, Z16 and Z23 and a minesweeper.  The Bismarck, commanded by Vice Admiral Gunther Lutjens, left her last anchorage at Grimstadt Fjord in Norway.  Once Bismarcks departure was confirmed all available British forces were deployed to meet the threat.  On the 24th of May 1941 the Bismarck sailed into naval history - sinking the battlescruiser and pride of the British fleet - HMS Hood.  But Bismarck would have little time to celebrate, she was sunk by a scorned British fleet three days later.  Here Bismarck is depicted on the evening of the 21st May 1941 entering the open sea on her fateful final voyage.

Bismarck - The Final Voyage by Anthony Saunders (P)
Half Price! - £3000.00
 The pride of the Royal Navy, HMS Hood, leaves Portsmouth on her way to the Fleet Review of King George V in July 1935. HMS Hood is followed by the destroyer HMS Express.

HMS Hood and HMS Express Departing from Portsmouth 1935 by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £65.00
 Type 21 frigate HMS Ambuscade (F172) is shown passing the swing bridge as she enters Taranto Harbour.

HMS Ambuscade by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00

HMS Prince of Wales is shown firing on the Bismarck and in the background a huge black cloud is all that is left of HMS Hood.

HMS Prince of Wales by Brian Wood. (B)
Half Price! - £30.00
 The Leander class cruiser HMS Orion is shown departing Grand Harbour Malta late in 1945.

HMS Orion by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 The mighty Bismarck returns fire to the fast-approaching HMS Hood a the start of a battle that would see both adversaries tragically sunk.

Bismarck Replies to HMS Hood by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
The moment shortly after dawn on 24th May 1941 when HMS Hood, in company with HMS Prince of Wales, opens fire on the Bismarck, setting in motion one of the greatest sea dramas the world had seen.

HMS Hood Engages Bismarck by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Saturday, 1 September, 2001.  Germany had only ever lost one World Cup qualifier at home in their history - but suddenly they were torn apart by an England team playing great attacking football  in Munich.  Coming from behind, Michael Owen blasted a stunning hat-trick, with Steven Gerrard  scoring England's 2nd and Heskey scoring the 5th goal, making the final score 5 - 1 to England.  This superb painting by Darren Baker shows Heskey celebrating his goal with a jubilant Owen and Beckham also celebrating.  <br><br>Germany: Kahn, Worns, Linke, Nowotny, Boehme, Hamann, Rehmer, Ballack, Deisler, Jancker, Neuville. <br><br>England: Seaman, G Neville, Ferdinand, Campbell, A Cole, Barmby, Scholes, Gerrard, Beckham, Heskey, Owen.
England v Germany 5 - 1 by Darren Baker
Half Price! - £75.00
22nd - 24th September 1995, Oakhill Country Club, Rochester, New York.  Against all odds the triumphant European team beat the USA in one of the most dramatic finishes of all time, to bring home the Ryder Cup for Europe.
Ryder Cup Victors by Peter Wileman
Half Price! - £50.00
DHM1480. Jenson Button 2004 BAR 006 by Ivan Berryman.
Jenson Button 2004 BAR 006 by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £50.00
 The Minstrel, 1977, Shergar, 1981, Golden Fleece, 1982, .Teenoso, 1983, Reference Point, 1987, Nashwan, 1989.

Derby Winners by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £100.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

FAR936. The Peacekeepers by Adrian Rigby.

The Peacekeepers by Adrian Rigby.
Half Price! - £25.00
 Harrier GR3s of No. 1 squadron in a secluded hide following a field exercise. The unique vertical take off capabilities of the Harrier allow front-line squadrons to deploy from dispersed sites.

GR3 Field Trip by Stuart Brown. (Y)
Half Price! - £60.00
 At the end of its landing run and streaming the unmistakable scarlet brake parachute with its characteristic tuck at the bottom, an SR-71 prepares to turn off of the runway after another Hot Flight.   Retired in favour of other technology including satellite surveillance a small number of these remarkable aircraft were due to start back in service at the end of 1996.  There were jobs that just could not be done by any other system, even the most sophisticated modern technology failing to address all of the incredible capabilities of one of the most advanced aircraft of all time.

The Black is Back by Robert Tomlin.
Half Price! - £45.00
 On the night of 12th September 1944, Lancaster NF958 (LS-M) of No.15 Sqn was lost in the skies above Mannheim when it was attacked by the Messerschmitt Bf.110G-2 of Ofw Ludwig Schmidt of II/NGJ 6, the bomber receiving hits to the bomb bay which ignited the incendiaries still in their racks.  Five of the crew bailed out and were taken prisoner of war once captured.  The pilot, F/O Norman Overend RNZAF, did not escape the aircraft.  Flt Sgt Harry A Beverton was seen to leave the stricken Lancaster but was not seen again.<br><br><b>Crew of <i>Lancaster LS-M</i> :</b><br><br>F/O Norman Overend RNZAF<br>Sgt Barry J Howarth <i>(survived)</i><br>Sgt George B Thomson <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt John D Jones <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt Robert P E Kendall <i>(survived)</i><br>Flt Sgt Harry A Beverton<br>Sgt I Spagatner <i>(survived)</i>.

Incident over Mannheim by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £60.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Vielsalm, Belgium, 22nd December 1944.  Men of the 508th PIR, along with the rest of the 82nd Airborne Division were rushed to the Ardennes and deployed in an attempt to halt the onslaught of 6th SS Panzer Army, specifically Kampfgruppe Peiper.

Holding the Line by David Pentland. (AP)
Half Price! - £95.00
 M3 Lee tanks and troops from General Slims 14th Army clear Japanese resistance form the village of Ywathitgyi in their drive to Mandalay.

Road to Mandalay, Burma, February 1945 by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £1900.00
 General Major Erwin Rommel leads the vanguard of his vaunted 7th Panzer (Ghost) Division past an abandoned French Char B tank on its epic drive from the Ardennes to the English Channel.

Blitzkrieg, Northern France, May 1940 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £50.00
 Trapped within a rapidly decreasing perimeter, the exhausted BEF along with elements of the French 1st Army appeared to be at the mercy of the mighty Luftwaffe. No one though had reckoned on the brilliant leadership of Admiral Ramsay nor the gallant and unstinting efforts of the military and civilians who managed to rescue over 330,000 troops in nine days.

Operation Dynamo, Dunkirk, France 24th May - 4th June 1940 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00