View Single Post
Old 16-07-2013, 13:15
Default Don, I like the cut of your Jib!

Originally Posted by Don Boyer View Post
Couldn't agree more Chief -- in reading many World War II histories of one kind or another, one thing that really seemed to jumb out was the fact that many of the truly competent sea-going ship commanders in that conflict came up through the small combatents (up to destroyer size). Seems in those days that school of learning produced those whose marlinspike seamanship, navigating, and ship-handling skills were of the best caliber. I like commanders like that..they have better odds of not getting you killed in battle.
I especially agree with your last sentence. Between the SEA, State Dept, the Brass and lastly the enemy there were far too many people out to get us killed. A Real sailorman CO did help the odds of collecting my pension---))))

One caveat is that you have to have enough savvy PO's to ensure the kids learn how to do it right the first time. The flip side of the coin is that these kids have a lot more responsibility and have to be watched less their youth get the ship in real trouble.