View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 18:54
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: The Spanish Armada of 1588

Thank you so much Dave, Don and Jim, for taking the time to read it. Your generous appreciation is warmly welcomed.

When I started reading about the Armada a few months ago, it was for my own pleasure and education, and not with the intention of writing an article about it. But almost every account I read I found unsatisfacory in that they limited themselves to the action of the fleets, and lost sight of the bigger picture, and left unanswered questions.

I was fortunate in being able to find some of the contemporary state papers of both Spain and England, from which the correspondence of the main characters gave an insight into their thinking and answered many questions, which led me to ideas and conclusions that had never occured to me before.

It was in the pursuit of these answers that the idea came for this thread. I'm pleased you thought it worthwhile.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.

Last edited by emason : 09-12-2011 at 19:11.