PDA

View Full Version : Dover Patrol Destroyers Painting

kc
16-01-2008, 15:05
Hi all,

We (the people who own the site - and finance it partially through art sales) will be commissioning a naval painting, and prints, which features as its subject two or three destroyers from the Dover Patrol.

We are looking for suggestions from the forum to decide which of the destroyers we should feature.

If you have any suggestions for a destroyer you would like to see as part of this painting, please let me know on this thread (don't PM me).

Only qualifications are that it must be a) a destroyer and b) from the Dover Patrol. i.e. HMS Swift, HMS Broke etc.

HMS Bergamot
22-01-2008, 15:13
How about HMS Zubian. Surely this one ship sums up the Dover Patrol perhaps even more than the famous Swift / Broke. HMS Zulu was mined, losing her stern. Nubian lost her bow to a torpedo. The two halves were joined to form Zubian (at Harwich, I believe), and went on to sink the UC-50 in 1918.

Batstiger
22-01-2008, 15:53
Perhaps we could have all three?

Zulu, Nubian and Zubian.

HMS Bergamot
23-01-2008, 10:16
Or would that be more accurately 'all 4 halves'?

Regards

Batstiger
23-01-2008, 11:21
Zulu.
Nubian.
Zubian.
I could only find one half of Nubian.

Pluto
07-04-2008, 13:16
I recall an old mate of mine telling me he served in HMS Wallace, Dover patrols,I`d like to see her included.

Pluto

Dreadnought1908
19-05-2008, 10:32
How about including Vice Admiral Sir Percy Scott, Lord Jackie Fisher and Lord Charles Beresford (with his bulldog) sharing a moment of quiet reflection together on the quayside as they watch young lieutenants parking or extracting their boats? Uniting them in memoriam though they were bitter rivals in Admiralty life?

Extract: from IN MEMORIAM by Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

So runs my dream, but what am I?
An infant crying in the night
An infant crying for the light
And with no language but a cry.

That I, considering everywhere
Her secret meaning in her deeds,
And finding that of fifty seeds
She often brings but one to bear,
I falter where I firmly trod,

And falling with my weight of cares
Upon the great world's altar-stairs
That slope thro' darkness up to God,
I stretch lame hands of faith, and grope,
And gather dust and chaff, and call
To what I feel is Lord of all,
And faintly trust the larger hope.

In writing the poem, Tennyson was influenced by the ideas of evolution (naval?) presented in Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation which had been published in 1844, and had caused a storm of controversy about the theological implications of impersonal nature functioning without direct divine intervention.

Beresford as we know loved to grand stand and was a great showman, like Fisher. The attention seeking public histrionics: war via newspaper headlines and flag signals; 'The Betrayal'; 'Memoirs'; at times were breath taking in scaling new hights of ruling class childishness. (Some post-modern psychologists might brand them as megalomaniacs and narcissists with far too much power, but that would be spoiling the tone don't you think?) I feel confident that they would have appreciated the irony...?

I have a WW1 photo somewhere where Dover harbour is solid with destroyers and looks quite chaotic, like a supermarket car park. Getting in and out was a major cause of hull scrapes, flared tempers, dark humour and old parking grudges. Recall Lord Beresford and Captain Jackie Fisher at Malta Harbour...? Not to mention, 'Paintwork versus gunnery'!?

tim lewin
19-05-2008, 11:03
HRH prince philip served in Wallace on East Coast convoys at some point duirng the war so Wallace certasinly deserves inclusion!

CYLLA
08-03-2015, 13:02
I recall an old mate of mine telling me he served in HMS Wallace, Dover patrols,I`d like to see her included.

Pluto

Hi Pluto ,
It was "HARRY " Hargreaves , and I have read his book , it was a really a great read .....It Wasn't All Mayhem ..