PDA

View Full Version : The Ship (Sally), 1886

peter richards
15-01-2008, 08:56
hi,
can anyone tell me anything about,

The ship (SALLY), The Sally left Penarth on the 4 February 1886 bound for Fremington loaded with coal. They were lost in a gale. All the 3 crew were lost, James Craner the Master, Jenkins the Mate and a boy (no name

greatfull for any info on her, or how to get a photo of her.

pete

herakles
15-01-2008, 09:10
A difficult name to do a google search on!

I don't know where to start with your request pete but I'm confident that there are people here that do.

The Sailor
15-01-2008, 09:31
I have to agree with you Herk. This looks a tall order even for the buffs.
A coal ship called Sally lost in 1886?
Some of the orders they put in here.

Lets see what happens.

peter richards
15-01-2008, 21:48
hi,
i Think the Sally was a Smack,

pete

stewart mcloughlin
15-01-2008, 22:08
Don't know about you getting a photo of a coal tramper in 1886. Not one on 'oldships'
Best bet I would suggest is:- contactlibraries@cardiff.gov.uk

to see if they have a newspaper report for that date, (a) of the initial accident and (b) for the inquest a few days later...
May contain further details of the casualties which can then be followed up through Ancestry, General Registry Office (gro.gov.uk) or Coroner's files.

Not surprising, not on the Miramar ship index.

Stewart McLoughlin

kc
15-01-2008, 23:00
Not even listed in "Ships of the Royal Navy : Volume 2" (which lists auxiliaries, trawlers etc)

Two other "Sally"s mentioned though, but only a sloop from 1797-1801 and an "A.ship" from 1806-1807.

Best bet is probably to go with above advice, although a picture is unlikely I would expect :(

Of course, now I've said that someone will hopefully be along in a minute with one........

Here's hoping.

astraltrader
20-01-2008, 14:54
Oddly enough during the late 19th century the term Sally Ship was in common maritime use. Sally Ship was not in fact a ship but a method of loosening a vessel that ran aground from the mud holding her fast. In the days before sophisticated navigation equipment, ships ran aground much more often than today. A grounded ship could be freed with little or no hull damage if she could be rocked out of her muddy predicament. To free her, the order was given to "sally ship". The crew gathered in a line along one side and then ran from port to starboard and back and forth until the vessel began to roll. Often the rolling broke the mud's suction and she could be pulled free and gotten underway.

Anyway - doesn`t really help you in your search for SS Sally. I too have drawn a blank with this.

Terry.
Exeter/Devon.

The Sailor
20-01-2008, 21:33
Interesting little bit of info there Terry.
Wasn't it also used as a term to get underway? To sally forth?

We must not forget SALLYPORT. A sally port is a small controlled space with two doors. Essentially, one must enter the space and close the first door before opening the second to proceed, rather like an airlock.

astraltrader
20-01-2008, 22:54
Absolutely right of course with sally forth. Must admit sallyport is a new one on me.

romft1945
22-01-2008, 21:59
Peter go to the census for the penarth area and the area of penarth where the ship was in dock and with a bit of searching it will give you on the date you mentioned all the ships that sailed from the port that day and the crews names you can get the census at the library or your local records office I only have census for the south but it does work as I find them for Teignmouth Dock,

Good searching Rom

romft1945
22-01-2008, 22:09
Peter go to google and type in Loyds Shipping Register then go to the section requesting info fill in the form with your details and what you require and hey bingo there you go,dont know if they charge as I have never used them,
Again happy hunting Rom