PDA

View Full Version : The Sea shall not have them

The Sailor
01-01-2008, 02:08
Further to the post on the Walrus, in fact I remember this same scenerio of a Walrus being towed home in this old movie.

The Sea shall not have them.

Directed by Lewis Gilbert
Produced by Daniel M. Angel
Written by Lewis Gilbert
Vernon Harris
based on the book by
John Harris
Starring Michael Redgrave
Dirk Bogarde
Anthony Steel
Nigel Patrick

Distributed by Eros Films Ltd.
Release date(s) November 30, 1954
Running time 91 min.
Country UK

RAF AIR SEA RESCUE Marine Craft Section

Originated in the Great War in Apr 1916, 11 days after the creation of the RAF as a whole. Small craft and personnel were transfered in from the RNAS. During the 1920s the Section's flying boats were being used to establish air routes across the British Empire. It was formed into a Branch in 1948, operated the largest air-sea rescue service in the world, and survived to 1986.

The RAF Marine Branch operated the RAF Air-Sea Rescue (ASR) cover in small fast launches (HSL). During World War II RAF Marine Craft high-speed rescue launches were used extensively in the Air Sea Rescue role, saving over 13 000 aircrew and other personnel.

Once the World War II bombing offensive against Germany was underway boats were stationed beneath the bombers' flightpath, remaining there in all weathers until the respective Command was clear as to which aircraft had safely returned and which were missing.

Rescue Motor Launches of the Royal Navy's Coastal Forces branch extended the range of ASR in the spring of 1942 in both the North Sea and English Channel. RML did not match the HSL speed but had a much greater range. They were also durable in much more severe weather conditions.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to put up this great photo of a Walrus circling HMS Howe.

740 Walruses were built between 1936 and 1944.

herakles
05-01-2008, 05:39
Oh! I remember "The Sea Shall Not Have Them"!

Pity we don't have films like it today. Sure beats the socks off Star Wars and other American rubbish.

And I seem to recall it was in b&w????????

:p

The Sailor
05-01-2008, 05:51
Yes that is right Herk. It was one of those black and whites that came out in the fifties. I grew up with them and first saw them as a wide eyed boy at the local open air picture gardens.
Today I have my own copies on DVD to watch in my home theater.
How lucky young people are today and they don't know it. My grandson is 8 years old and has his own computer in his room.