PDA

View Full Version : NAVAL STAMPS

tim lewin
02-12-2009, 16:51
just a thought; i know stamps were quite popular in the RN, some years ago I beleive a RN stamp society was created and a whole range of First Day covers issued, since my late father was I believe one of the initiators of this society I have a whole box of these RN first Day covers which I would like to sell and use the funds released for other things closer to my heart. Is there anyone out there interested, if not to buy, then to see somes scans which I will gladly post.
tim

Chris Howat
02-12-2009, 19:57
Tim, yes I am interested but not in a position to shell out huge amounts of cash! During my travels in the Navy I used to send myself covers from all the places visited and they make a nice collection. I usually put on the range of the low value stamps.
Chris

tim lewin
03-12-2009, 04:59
I will post a range of them for general interest; might be a week as I need to go away on biz, see if i get time today..

Mike B
12-08-2010, 10:15
In September 2009, Royal Mail (RM) issued six stamps depicting RN uniforms. I challenged RM regarding two of the stamps, namely "Second Officer WRNS 1918" - The rank of Second Officer did not exist in 1918, it was introduced sometime after 1939. The correct title should have been "Deputy Principal WRNS". I also challenged the "Able Seaman 1880" stamp. The associated booklet issued with the stamps entitled "Royal Navy Uniforms - Royal Mail Book of Stamps" contains too many errors to list here. I wrote a six page report to RM but it declined to enter into a meaningful discussion on the subject, saying only that RM had consulted with experts and had access to official records etc. If anyone is interested in the report which includes explanatory pictures, I would be happy to post it; provided, of course, it is not too long for this forum.

Dreadnought
12-08-2010, 10:30
Hi Tim,

Thread moved to 'Everything Else'.

Cheers

SCRG1970
12-08-2010, 19:40
In September 2009, If anyone is interested in the report which includes explanatory pictures, I would be happy to post it; provided, of course, it is not too long for this forum.

Mike

I for one would be interested in your report....I love it when the "experts" are questioned.

Regards

gerry

tim lewin
13-08-2010, 20:06
1000 apologies chaps, after the initial post i lost track of this one; i will scan in some of my collection of first day covers for you.

astraltrader
14-08-2010, 00:54
Tim please see my PM to you. :)