PDA

View Full Version : A Query regarding the distribution of War Prizes

Andy3E
26-11-2009, 17:53
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how were ships of the Kreigsmarine and Regia Marina were divvied up between the allies,
Im kinda curious as to how the Americans came to have the Prinz Eugan,
I assume that it was based on a system of who had lost the most ships to the enemy, but would that include merchant vessels aswell as warships, because if is down to warships thenthe RN, French Navy (if you count toulon, i dont know if you can) and numerous other allied navies lost more warships to the Kriegsmarine than the USN in the Atlantic (to the best of my knowledge)
and with the Graf Zeppelin, ive always got the impression that the Soviets just floated it and ran off with it and stuck 2 fingers up to what anyone else thought heh

im also kinda curious if theres any information about how the High Seas Fleet would have been divvied up if they hadn't answerd the question for themselves

ta

patroclus
26-11-2009, 20:51
There was very little left afloat of the surface ships of the Kriegsmarine. The incomplete GRAF ZEPELIN was carried off by the Russians. The remainder, PRINZ EUGEN, NURNBERG and LEIPZIG flew the White Ensign for a short time and were then dis[posed of by the USA taking the PRINZ EUGEN (expended in Atomic Bomb tests), and the Russians were given the NURNBERG (which served in the Soviet Navy for some years). The British subsequently sank the LEIPZIG in the North Sea. The Italian Navy more or less changed sides and was left "intact". After the war some of the surviving major units were apportioned to UK, USA, France, USSR and Greece. The two modern battleships allocated to the UK and USA were scrapped. Other units were returned to Italy. The Russians obtained the old battleship GIULIO CESARE which is said to have survived into the 1950s. The dealings between UK and USA, on the one hand, and Russia, on the other, over the disposal of the Italian Navy were quite complicated.

The question of the possible disposal of the HSF is more interesting. The British had no need of any additional warships (although they wanted to look at some of the technical aspects of the German ships and subsequently did so). However, the British would not have wished other navies to be strengthened by the addition of German ships and this is the basis of the theory that Admiral Fremantle's squadron was deliberately ordered to sea to give the Germans the oportunity to scuttle their ships.