PDA

View Full Version : The Frontier Patrol.

Batstiger
28-10-2009, 22:33
Can someone help me out with this picture please?

Bob.

jbryce1437
30-10-2009, 21:06
An interesting photo Bob, but I have no info about it, hope someone can identify it.

Jim

astraltrader
30-10-2009, 23:34
I have drawn a blank too - although despite the english names on the boats the houses in the background do not look like the picture was taken in the UK. :confused:

berry
31-10-2009, 01:11
Could they be nissan huts? South coast of England,late fifties early sixties.
Sid

navalis
31-10-2009, 10:43
Possibly part of the British Border Service in Germany? In the early 1950s the Allies maintained border patrols in their sectors of occupied Germany, preventing smuggling etc.

chris westwood
31-10-2009, 11:34
the term 'frontier' as opposed to 'border' might be a give away
I'd guess they are on the part of the US/Canada frontier which crosses the Great lakes.

lew
31-10-2009, 14:34
Bob, I think their possibly Fairmiles which were used as patrol boats by the Canadian Navy during the war and if you read this article it talks about the Gulf Sea Frontier.

I remember as a child in the late 50"s seeing one being used as a tourist boat on Georgian Bay here in Ontario, Canada where we used to cottage every summer.

http://www.naval-museum.mb.ca/mtb/fairmile.htm

Hopefully this is what your looking for.

Batstiger
31-10-2009, 15:01
Thank you everyone, we seem to be very close to solving the mystery.

Cheers, Bob.

mik43
31-10-2009, 16:00
Bob

Can't provide any info, but just to say that I agree with Jim (post#2) that it is a smashing pic

Mik

keblin
31-10-2009, 19:34
Can someone help me out with this picture please?

Bob.

If you blow up the picture, you can see two lines of of writing on a sign in the background; at the rear of the middle boat's bridge.
I'm convinced the first line is like "....Yachting
The second is "..TM..T"?

Does this help anyone to identify the harbour / port? Maybe the second line is the name of the place?
Has anyone got better eyesight?

keblin

astraltrader
01-11-2009, 03:05
Could they be nissan huts? South coast of England,late fifties early sixties.
Sid

The other permanent houses indicate especially from the rooflines that it is certainly not the UK.

Also the boat Sparrow Hawk has "Frontier Patrol" written on its side IMO.

Taking into account these two clues I tend toward the suggestion made by Navalis of 1950`s Germany...

John O'Callaghan
01-11-2009, 06:55
Hi All! Their lines do not look to be British such as ex Fairmiles.They appear to be more German? The wheelhouses in particular on the middle and outboard vessels appear to reminicent of R-Boot.If they are modified Fairmiles someone went to a lot of trouble for little real result.
Cheers John O'C.

keblin
01-11-2009, 10:23
If you blow up the picture, you can see two lines of of writing on a sign in the background; at the rear of the middle boat's bridge.
I'm convinced the first line is like "....Yachting
The second is "..TM..T"?

Does this help anyone to identify the harbour / port? Maybe the second line is the name of the place?
Has anyone got better eyesight?

keblin

I have changed my mind! The "Yachting" word I proposed, could actually be the German "Achtung". This fits better with the building styles too, as suggested in the last post...steeply inclined nothern European roofs, to combat deep snow accumulations. The bottom line ends in WERFT, this is german for shipyard/dockyard.

keblin

astraltrader
01-11-2009, 23:09
In which case the majority of opinion tends towards a German location.

A great photo though!

John O'Callaghan
03-10-2010, 21:58
Hi All! I have been looking at the posts on FLB boats. Having never seen one before I was unaware of their appearance. From the photo posted at least some of them look very similar to the 'Patrol Boats' shown on this thread. Could they be FLBs post war put to other uses? Any opinions?
Cheers John O'C.