PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 07:58
I have threatened to make this posting on several occasions in the past but I have had bits of information missing or incomplete so , now I can unleash it on you .....with what little I have and share my knowledge of this man ......of whom I am proud of ....not solely for the detail shown here but for the background information behind that ..........I am reluctant to include........as it would cause ripples in todays waters....and put some others in a bad light.....

This man is a person whom I like to kid myself , I bear some of his ways and traits .....which continue in some of my children and grandchildren.

He was a gentle giant of a man who knew right from wrong , who would not let others suffer at his expense , would take up the rights of the underdog if felt necessary , was a man full of emotion , but sometimes had trouble expressing it .......was a mans man not a "not quite sure type" was determined and saw his actions through if he felt the need .

Loved the outdoors and nature could kill anything which was a threat and yet used to dig holes for worms in the garden to allow them to avoid being eaten .

If necessary take on the world , and yet was a law abiding citizen, and respected the need for authority , liked a drink with the lads , but like many of his time not at the expense of his family or those under his protection

Apart from the attached detail which is sketchy in places , his trade was as a Pattern Maker , and I remember as a child the cases and cases of beautifully made hand tools , most of which he made I might add as in those days you could not pop into a shop and buy them , lath tools and tools I could not even describe the function of........sadly one of my brothers sold the bloody lot without so much as a by your leave when he died ...for which I admit I will bear him ill over.

He was a man who raised a family of individuals ...all distinct and worthy of praise in there own right......though ...not always viewed as a canvas but criticized for minor imperfections by those with major imperfections .

Mr George Singleton.was born on the 13th June 1895 and was the eldest of three children.
He was raised in Nottingham and latterly in Scotland , where he showed an aptitude for all things mechanical
He started an apprenticeship at 14 years of age with Sheffield Simplex Motors near Nottingham in 1909.
Whilst there he meet EARL FITZWILLIAM who had bought the original Bleriot monoplane ....the first to fly the English channel .....and the seed was sown.
He remembered going to Wentworth House , the Earls estate , with his father the Works Superintendent ...to fly the plane off the estates lawns ....which were over a mile long at the time

Shortly after this he joined the BEARDMORE AIRCRAFT CORPORATION in Scotland

At the outbreak of the First World War my Grandfather volunteered and joined the KINGS OWN SCOTTISH BORDERER'S aged 19 years of age whose uniform was the Greene Leslie Tartan.
Soon after joining he was sent to the Dardenelles and was a runner and then a Sniper and fought in the Battle for Gaza.

Whilst in action he was wounded by shrapnel in the right hand , which developed into gangrene and he was sent to Malta to have his hand operated on.

He was fortunate in that he was told that he would lose his hand prior to the operation and my granddad went potty and he said " If I lose my hand I will lose my trade on Aircraft when I get back home"..but the leading Surgeon who operated on him managed to save his hand and after recuperating he was passed as medically fit for duty

Shortly after he was was returned to active duty with his old unit and back to the front lines.

It would seem that a Sargent in his unit was singling him out and was always picking on him and giving him a rough ride and a fight developed and my Granddad punched him and broke his jaw...........
He was arrested and imprisoned awaiting Court Marshal for striking his NCO.

Whilst imprisoned he drank dirty water and contracted dysentery and was admitted to a field Hospital on the front line for treatment, where he was put in a bed next to an Officer in the ROYAL FLYING CORPS

At some point during his recovery the Officer asked my Granddad what he did in " CIVY STREET" and my grandfather said that he worked for the BEARDMORE Aircraft Corporation in Scotland.

The Officer told him that they were desperate for good Aircraft Engineers and offered to get him transfered to the Royal Flying Corps as a ground Engineer working on the front line aircraft .....to which he readily agreed.
The Transfer took place , all charges were dropped and my Granddad was duly transfered to the Royal Flying Corps as a ground engineer for the duration of of the War.

After the War my Granddad managed to get a job at Vidlers where he met Malcolm Campbell

He ended up working for Malclom Cambell and accompanied him to Brooklands on several occasions with Malcolm Campbell where the first 100mph land speed record was made

Whilst there he also met Thomas Parry , who was later killed at Pendine Sands attemting to break the Land Speed Record.

Later on he joined Naipiers Aircraft Factory in Acton london W3 doing research work on the Merlin Series Engines up until the end of World War 2

My Aunt informs me that he used to moan about having to work in Sheepskin clothing whilst working in the wind tunnel on the engines to run them at "Artic" conditions

Naipiers were a some point bought out by Rolls Royce , and for abought ten years after the War Granddad and my Aunt used to get complimentory tickets to go to Fulton Air Shows at Bristol.

I only remember him as a "Gentle Giant" of a man as I grew up ....who you gave no back chat to......wish I knew him better and he was still around .

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 08:05
Not being as good as my friends who post I thought I had included these but ..pilot error me thinks :o

astraltrader
17-10-2009, 08:26
Just quickly read this before leaving for my Antiques unit.

Thanks Ivor for a well written and interesting account of a larger than life Grandfather to be proud of!

Great stuff my friend! :)

Vegaskip
17-10-2009, 08:42
Interesting story ,Ivor, I think a lot has rubbed off on you.

Bee
17-10-2009, 09:02
What a great man your Grandfather was Ivor, I'm not surprised you're proud of him. A great picture of him at his work bench, you can feel the energy and old world atmosphere.

With regard to the land speed record of the "Bluebird". That car was put on display in Perth, around 1964. (Would that be the same one that your Grandfather worked on??) I have vague memories of seeing it, with my family. (Dad, of course took us all to see it.) They did speed trials on Lake Eyre here.
Regards,
Bee
p.s. Thankyou for sharing his story with us. :)
p.p.s. I'll have to ask my older brothers what they remember about it...we might even have some slides of it...somewhere.

kc
17-10-2009, 16:38
Just to echo the other posts here, Ivor, thanks for posting an interesting account of a quite extraordinary life. I read the post this morning but had no time to post a reply. I had to come back now to say how much I enjoyed reading about your grandfather.

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 17:49
Just quickly read this before leaving for my Antiques unit.

Thanks Ivor for a well written and interesting account of a larger than life Grandfather to be proud of!

Great stuff my friend! :)

Forgive my rudeness in not thanking you for your help yesterday .....I was a man on a mission and did not stop to think ........Sorry :o

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 17:53
Interesting story ,Ivor, I think a lot has rubbed off on you.

Thank you Jim '

Knowing you as I do I thank you for a comment like that .....as I know its not just a platitude to make me feel comfortable

Kind regards Ivor

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 18:10
What a great man your Grandfather was Ivor, I'm not surprised you're proud of him. A great picture of him at his work bench, you can feel the energy and old world atmosphere.

With regard to the land speed record of the "Bluebird". That car was put on display in Perth, around 1964. (Would that be the same one that your Grandfather worked on??) I have vague memories of seeing it, with my family. (Dad, of course took us all to see it.) They did speed trials on Lake Eyre here.
Regards,
Bee
p.s. Thankyou for sharing his story with us. :)
p.p.s. I'll have to ask my older brothers what they remember about it...we might even have some slides of it...somewhere.

Dear Bee

It took a lot of nerve and research which was met with indifference from some people I sought information from ,but my favourite Auntie in France helped me a great deal in getting the facts right and in the right order bless her .......you know the type....... there is one in most family's
Who are honest and caring enough to not question your reasons for doing something sensitive to the majority who would rather keep everything under wraps and not talk about it lest it upsets anyone ???????????

You have read most of my revelations on this site and know what I am talking about
I think I am starting to get like that poem Baz posted on his thread about "Crabby Old Men"
Sorry to drift off topic ....yes that was the one and same Bluebird God knows where it ended up :confused:
Love to you and yours Bee .......

PS hows the Duchess doing all right I trust..still awaiting her bus from Harry :confused:

ivorthediver
17-10-2009, 18:26
Just to echo the other posts here, Ivor, thanks for posting an interesting account of a quite extraordinary life. I read the post this morning but had no time to post a reply. I had to come back now to say how much I enjoyed reading about your grandfather.

Thank you kc
I appreciate your kindness ...I can remember him telling some one about when he was out there and the Camels that where in his unit that had great chunks taken out off them by Shrapnel and how one of the orderlies who had been told to put them down had emptied a revolver into one and it just stood there looking at him .
My Grandfather placed one shot in between its front legs and it dropped like a ton of bricks ....thats where its heart was apparently .

Like most other people I wish I had spent more time with him and been allowed to listen to his memories and the trials and tribulations he endured
Again my thanks James