PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Help Identifying Ships WW1

Flouncylicious
05-10-2009, 12:36
This forum was recommended to me as the best place on the web to help with my problem with regards to identifying ships on a naval record. I hope I have posted in the correct section, but if I haven't I apologise in advance.

I have attached a screenshot of part of a naval record and I am trying to decipher the names of the ships this ancestor served on. As far as I can see it says HMS's :-

Victory ii
Heda (?)
Apollo
Gibraltor
Serepta (?)
Victory ii

I am not sure about Heda and Serepta so would be very grateful for any imput and I am also trying to work out the word in brackets next to HMS Heda. Any advice or suggestions would be most gratefully received:)

Many thanks in advance for your time and patience.

navalis
05-10-2009, 13:33
VICTORY - II : in WW1 was the training depot established at Crystal Palace

not Heda - HECLA - this was a depot ship for destroyers. She was stationed at Chatham until 1916 when she moved to Buncrana (N Ireland), then back to Chatham in 1917.

APOLLO - elderly cruiser (1891) employed as a depot ship in WW1 - Devonport I believe.

GIBRALTAR - again, elderly cruiser (1892) used as a depot ship in WW1; initially in the Shetlands, later Kirkaldy and then Portland

SAREPTA - a small fishing drifter taken into service in 1915; it was used at the experimental hydrophone establishment at Portland, and the name was taken by that establishment in 1918

I am still trying to work out the scribbled name after Hecla

navalis
05-10-2009, 13:37
...re: the scribbled name.

I think it says COCKATRICE.

If so, then this was a destroyer, built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1915.
950 tons 260ft x 26.5ft armed 3 x 4in 2 x torpedo tubes
In the 4th Destroyer Flotilla, Grand Fleet 1914-16 then 4th DF Portsmouth
scrapped 1921

BCRenown
05-10-2009, 14:00
It appears to me the scribbled word is 'cooksline'. I think it means someone who works in the ship's galley. Note the ditto marks in brackets for the other ships as well. Maybe your ancestor was some sort of ship's steward.

I wonder if this is the 'Sarepta' in question?

Monty

qprdave
05-10-2009, 14:28
As you don't give any Dates, it does make it a little difficult as the Navy repeated the names of their ships

I found this in The Times Archive October 11, 1920

Flouncylicious
05-10-2009, 15:39
Thanks all of you so much for your imput, and what an idiot I am for not putting the dates, sorry. The record itself is dated from 1916-1919. I have attached a better screenshot with dates and his ratings.

I have to say now someone has suggested it that the word in brackets does look awfully like 'cooksline'.

Thanks once again for your help.

kc
05-10-2009, 15:49
what an idiot I am for not putting the dates, sorry.

To be fair, you did put WW1 in the title of the thread itself, which I think may have been missed by some. No worries though, it seems as though you got the help you needed.

For what it's worth, I think they have deciphered everything correctly.

qprdave
05-10-2009, 16:22
Thanks kc.

I didn't notice the years were in the title. My eyes went deaf for a while!!!!!!!!!!

limeybiker
07-10-2009, 15:19
VICTORY - II : in WW1 was the training depot established at Crystal Palace

not Heda - HECLA - this was a depot ship for destroyers. She was stationed at Chatham until 1916 when she moved to Buncrana (N Ireland), then back to Chatham in 1917.

APOLLO - elderly cruiser (1891) employed as a depot ship in WW1 - Devonport I believe.

GIBRALTAR - again, elderly cruiser (1892) used as a depot ship in WW1; initially in the Shetlands, later Kirkaldy and then Portland

SAREPTA - a small fishing drifter taken into service in 1915; it was used at the experimental hydrophone establishment at Portland, and the name was taken by that establishment in 1918

I am still trying to work out the scribbled name after Hecla

Photos attached

Kevin123
07-10-2009, 15:44
HMS Hecla was my grandfathers depot ship in 1914. He was serving on HMS Hardy. This is his wound certificate from December 1914. The depot ship was known as "Hecla for Hardy" They missed the u out in my grandfathers name. Kevin.

Batstiger
07-10-2009, 16:02
I like the "He was sober at the time" bit Kevin!

Bob.

Kevin123
07-10-2009, 16:20
Luckily it was in the morning Bob ! Also it was the only time he was allowed in the officers wardroom ! my nan said all the injured and dead were put in there together untill the medics could get to them. He was back in action in a few weeks. Kevin.

limeybiker
07-10-2009, 17:44
It appears to me the scribbled word is 'cooksline'. I think it means someone who works in the ship's galley. Note the ditto marks in brackets for the other ships as well. Maybe your ancestor was some sort of ship's steward.

I wonder if this is the 'Sarepta' in question?

Monty

To young, this photo is on this site dated 1970, http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/rmas.htm