PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Commissioned Ships in RN

Jackaroo
15-09-2009, 01:20
Do I have it right that the following ships are the oldest commissioned ships in the RN?

HMS Victory
HMS Caroline

and I think HMY Britannia (Decommissioned) would have been third.

Cheers
Jack :cool:

astraltrader
15-09-2009, 01:33
You are certainly right about Victory as she is in fact the oldest commissioned warship in the world!

You might well be right about Caroline as she heralds of course from WW1 and I cany think of any other older than of course Victory.

However you are most certainly wrong about Britannia. She was built in 1952. There are other ex-WW2 ships including the cruiser Belfast - moored in the Thames...

qprdave
15-09-2009, 02:35
Although the Belfast is afloat and still in existence. Is she still in commission in the Royal Navy. What about the RNR ship, also in the Thames, the name escapes me.

If Belfast counts, then what about HMS Warrior?

Jackaroo
15-09-2009, 03:14
You are certainly right about Victory as she is in fact the oldest commissioned warship in the world!

You might well be right about Caroline as she heralds of course from WW1 and I cany think of any other older than of course Victory.

However you are most certainly wrong about Britannia. She was built in 1952. There are other ex-WW2 ships including the cruiser Belfast - moored in the Thames...

Although the Belfast is afloat and still in existence. Is she still in commission in the Royal Navy. What about the RNR ship, also in the Thames, the name escapes me.

If Belfast counts, then what about HMS Warrior?

Thats why I said in commission.

I think HMS Caroline is in Belfast?

Would that be HMS President?

Cheers
Jack:cool:

Rob Hoole
15-09-2009, 07:51
HMS Victory was first commissioned in 1778.

HMS Caroline was first commissioned as a 'C' Class light cruiser in 1914 and became the RNR Drill Ship in Belfast on 1 Apr 1924.

HMS President, RNR Drill Ship on the Thames, started off as the Anchusa Class sloop HMS Saxifrage first commissioned on 29 Jan 1918 and was renamed President on 9 Apr 1921.

Jackaroo
18-09-2009, 09:07
Thanks for that info Rob

Cheers
Jack :cool:

johnny07
18-03-2011, 18:01
Is the wooden walled RNR HQ ship which had three different names over the years, Camperdown, Cressy, Unicorn still in commission at Dundee?. :confused:

RodM
29-03-2011, 16:37
What about Warrior or Trincomalee?

rod

Egypt
29-03-2011, 19:45
HMS Caroline & HMS President are still in existence, but are no longer commissioned warships. Ditto HMS Belfast.

HMS Caroline, a C-class light cruiser, was launched in 1914 and decommissioned in 2010 when Ulster Division RNR moved ashore to become HMS Hibernia

HMS President launched in 1918 as HMS Saxifrage, was renamed in 1921 and took over as London Division RNR Drill Ship, later joined in 1938 by HMS Chrysanthemum (also a Flower Class Sloop) launched in 1917. Both ships were decommissioned in 1994 when London Division moved ashore.

HMS Belfast went into reserve in 1963 and transferred to the Museum Trust in 1971.

derek s.langsdon
24-05-2011, 11:41
I was just about to ask about HMS President and Chrysanthemum (long while since I've been to London ! when they were still along the Embankment) -- but I checked this posting first and found Egypt's 29/3 saying both ships had been decommissioned in 1994 when London Division went ashore.Are the two ships still there now ? Saw there was an earlier plan to take them to St Katherine's Dock down river. Recall visits to both vessels during my working life in Fleet Street and the crews lining the rails as Churchill's funeral launch passed by'-.Incidentally when did the old "Wavy Navy" RNVR lose it's "V" and splice into RNR as beleive it did many years back ?...help/advise appreciated-derek-L

seaJane
24-05-2011, 17:51
While Unicorn is still definitely there http://www.frigateunicorn.org/hms-unicorn I can't see from the site whether she is still in commission.

Anyone?

She is lovely - other half and I visited her in 2008 along with RRS Discovery.

Egypt
24-05-2011, 18:27
Are the two ships still there now?

Incidentally when did the old "Wavy Navy" RNVR lose it's "V" and splice into RNR as beleive it did many years back?

...help/advise appreciated-derek-L

In answer to the first question, the PRESIDENT is still moored at King's Reach and is now a commercially owned enterprise (bar/restaurant, conference/entertainment venue). however, CRYSANTHEMUM was towed away and scapped when no longer required as an RNR drillship.

And can also relate that the various naval reserves became unified, under the banner of the RNR, in 1958.

mb

Egypt
24-05-2011, 18:38
While Unicorn is still definitely there http://www.frigateunicorn.org/hms-unicorn I can't see from the site whether she is still in commission.

Anyone?

UNICORN was decommissioned and handed over to the preservation society in 1968 when Dundee Division RNR moved ashore into new headquarters (HMS Camperdown).
mb

John Brown
25-05-2011, 17:45
I was just about to ask about HMS President and Chrysanthemum (long while since I've been to London ! when they were still along the Embankment) -- but I checked this posting first and found Egypt's 29/3 saying both ships had been decommissioned in 1994 when London Division went ashore.Are the two ships still there now ? Saw there was an earlier plan to take them to St Katherine's Dock down river. Recall visits to both vessels during my working life in Fleet Street and the crews lining the rails as Churchill's funeral launch passed by'-.Incidentally when did the old "Wavy Navy" RNVR lose it's "V" and splice into RNR as beleive it did many years back ?...help/advise appreciated-derek-L

Derek

If you are interested you will find pictures of 'President' and Churchills' funeral barge 'Havengore' together with ex HMS Wellington posted here...

Posts #6 + 7
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?p=160728#post160728

I took these photos on 16th April 2011 so they are fairly recent.

Regards...John

qprdave
25-05-2011, 18:37
This thread is getting off topic.

The question was "What is the oldest ship still in commission" and not oldest afloat. Besides I am sure that HMS Victory, as Terry and Rob has already said, is the oldest ship in Commission.

Jock3
07-11-2012, 17:05

Anyone?

Late in the day this reply, but HMS Unicorn after arriving on the Tay in 1873 served the RNR through 2 wars and finally decommiddioned in the 1960's. Saved and put into preservation she is now a museum in Dundees Victoria dock. Prince Philip accepted ger from the RN in 1968