PDA

View Full Version : Ships Money

dennis a feary
25-08-2009, 06:10
Hello All, I trust this is the correct thing to do. Money may have been entered in before - but here is my contribution.
1 2 3 4 are of British Armed Forces Vouchers (BAFVS) issued to crews / serving personnel in Germany. These are circa 1948 - 1960 ??
Some I kept for ??? 9d would at that time have bought a NAAFI pint (Sludge !).
5 6 are of Chinky money of Wei Hei Wei / Hong Kong circa 1936ish.

Anymore monies out there ??

Sadsac

astraltrader
25-08-2009, 14:27
Great Dennis - I am no expert on paper money but I would have thought that some of those were quite collectable.

dennis a feary
25-08-2009, 16:15
Yes, may be Terry - I am not much into buying & selling tho.
Not many chaps at that time would have missed the NAAFI pint.
Father must have had to use the `Chinky' money as he was out there circa 1937-1939.
For the BAFV's - they were taken out of circulation because `noxious Germans' were printing the highest denomination which was Five Shillings - Ah that was `proper' money !!

Batstiger
30-01-2010, 12:49
Cast your minds back to when these were legal tender. I certainly get some great memories when I do.
Also remember what you could buy with them especially the first two.
"HAPPY MEMORIES"

Bob.

steve roberts
30-01-2010, 14:14
Hi Bob. The first one was enough for a good run ashore,fish &chips supper and have change left over.The 10 bob note would get you absolutly "Screechers" in Malta with enough left over for the "Dhiso" back aboard whenthe ships boats had stopped running!!:D:D:D:D Cheers Steve.

Derek Dicker
30-01-2010, 15:14
Yes Steve, remember the tenbob run, scrumps 6d a pint, Ma Boots Devonport, greesy spoon on the way back aboard.

Derek (Bunts)

steve roberts
30-01-2010, 15:55
Hi Derek. Not half!! Plus on ten bob I remeber getting two yanks drunk in Malta,must have gonr up and down the Barraca lift about a dozen times before i could get them off it!!!:D:D:D:D Cheers. Steve.

Batstiger
30-01-2010, 16:13
Derek, I see you mentioned Ma Boots. I used to use the place regularly. We used to call it Ma Boots and also The Golden Slipper. Can you remember the proper pub name?
I also used to frequent the Grand Theatre in Union St a lot when it was run by an ex Gunner and his wife Ivy. His first name was Bill, if you knew him did you Know his second name, I've forgotten it?

Bob.

steve roberts
30-01-2010, 17:05
Do any of you respectable gentlemen remember "The Royal Naval School of Dancing" on Union street.The one with about 40 concret steps up to it.OK going up,but God help you if P****d comimg down. Steve.:D:D:D:D

John O'Callaghan
31-01-2010, 05:45
Hi Steve! I seem to remember some naval school of dancing ( I never could remember it's formal title)in Bugis St Singapore.Would there be any connection?
Cheers john O'C.

Batstiger
31-01-2010, 11:03
I think Steve is on about the one that used to be in the Octagon, Union St opposite the Antelope.

Bob.

oldsalt
31-01-2010, 12:06
Do any of you respectable gentlemen remember "The Royal Naval School of Dancing" on Union street.The one with about 40 concret steps up to it.OK going up,but God help you if P****d comimg down. Steve.:D:D:D:D

Twas the Paramount, long flight of steps up to "ballroom" , beware of falling Bootnecks.

steve roberts
31-01-2010, 12:16
Than you Keith.I was wracking my brain trying to remember that.Of course us 'onourable 'ands went to the "Magic Stick"! Better class of "LADY!!!" there,'specially on "Grab a Granny Night" Thursdays I believe,which once a fortnight coincided with payday.Oh what you could do with 4 in those days!!!:D:D:D Cheers. Steve.