PDA

View Full Version : Old photo of diver 1925

apricot
28-07-2009, 20:04
Thought I would share this photo taken in 1925 my great grandfather is circled on this photo he is listening to a diver telling a tale !!!
thank you :)

Francis Stanley
29-07-2009, 12:22
Great picture thanks for posting, here are a few more

faakeith
13-09-2009, 21:34
The dive suits are Siebe Gorman and they hand pumped the air to the divers helmet.

Bee
03-10-2009, 11:18
Great historic photos Apricot and Francis,

I'm surprised there's no comments here from our resident ITD here yet, as I'm sure that he'd be familiar with these outfits. :rolleyes: (only joking Ivor)
Also, thanks for the extra info. faaKeith...I thought I could see a pump being manned. I guess they (the divers) would have had to have great faith in their shipmates on the pump.
In the "Pictures of ourselves" (Post #79)...Ivor's diving gear looks pretty full on....but I guess his was luxury compared to what these guys wore.

Regards,
Bee

Ednamay
03-10-2009, 13:54
I SCREAMED!!! Soon after my father left the navy (1934?1935?) he started work in RN Dockyard, Portsmouth (as a slinger, if you want to know) so, of course, he took us to one of the open days in Navy Week. He put on one of the helmets and ............

Is that why I am claustrophobic, or did that come first?!!

Ednamay

Bee
04-10-2009, 16:32
Ednamay,

Did he put it on him....or did he put it on you???? (I guess anyone prone to claustrophobia wouldn't have gone into diving ????) I think I'd be a bit the same as you.....I'm kind of partial to breathing. :rolleyes: :)

Cheers,
Bee

Ednamay
06-10-2009, 15:08
No, my father was more sensitive than my mother so he took the helmet off his head, handed it to someone behind him and led us off the ship, then he picked me up and gave me a cuddle! My brother wanted to go back and 'have a go', my father said no.
I still get the shudders at the thought of diving suits and submarines.
Ednamay

ivorthediver
18-10-2009, 19:42
No, my father was more sensitive than my mother so he took the helmet off his head, handed it to someone behind him and led us off the ship, then he picked me up and gave me a cuddle! My brother wanted to go back and 'have a go', my father said no.
I still get the shudders at the thought of diving suits and submarines.
Ednamay

Not to let you down Lady Bee here I am.

If I am honest with you ,I have worn a dive helmet ,but not like the ones depicted here, and it was great compared to normal Scuba gear .....but it had two way comms in it so you felt that you were not alone at all.

I would just say this to you both ..........if you were trained by someone who new how to handle people in anticipated stress situations you would not be frightened by it at all
In the years that I taught Scuba Diving I only had one person quit on me ....and he was a fireman who I over heard impressing some female students about the fires he had tackled using breathing apparatus ...so I thought he would be easy to teach ...but he freaked out at 2m deep

Its all about training and self confidence aided by calm talking and knowing what to do if things go wrong ...before they go wrong .....
practice ....practice and yes you guessed it ...more practise

Explaining why you need to do something ....doing it under controlled conditions and then more practice until you can do it with both arms tied behind you so to speak ....its not scarry .....at all just methodical ....that way you enjoy diving in a relaxed tranquil frame of mind knowing that if a problem arose you were capable of dealing with it

I frequently upset the macho set during training by saying that in my opinion Women made the best divers under training
as they listened to what they were being told
Respected the environment they were in
All ways helped there buddies
Never dived beyond their limits
were less inclined to show how clever they thought they were
DID do revision on subjects
and always checked and looked after their kit better

Sad thing to admit but none the less true ..........and most of them still keep in touch from all over..............

Its a beautiful peaceful world down there doing recreational diving ...and not something to be frightened of....just respectful of

Regards Ivor