PDA

View Full Version : National Service Sailors

ivorthediver
06-07-2009, 17:33
When some one joined the navy as a conscript during national service I understand that they were in for two years duty

This being the case what opportunities were there for someone who after completing there national service decided to make a career out off it...or was it just a sausage factory system

SCRG1970
06-07-2009, 19:41
Ivor

The National Service lads who joined with me circa 1958 served three years not the usual two. Thats the price they paid for joining the elite!!

The other downside was despite doing the same job as career ratings they were paid less. Inevitably some of them decided to sign on and a very good oppo of mine did just that. He then went straight to a nine year engagement and the extra pay that went with it.

Regards

Gerry

ivorthediver
06-07-2009, 20:14
Thanks Gerry ,
I was talking to an Ex Ordinance artificer [ Torps] who was talking about what he perceived as the injustice of it and the aggro between he's entry and carreer types and the rivilry between them ....he made it sound like a bad berth and if what he said to me is true I can understand his resentment

Did you find this at all

Kevin123
06-07-2009, 20:46
When a sailor finished his national service,and then chose to stay in the navy, would his national service time be added to his pension. Kevin.

SCRG1970
06-07-2009, 20:47
Didnt notice it Ivor but the late 1950s was towards the end of National Service and they were a rarity in the navy, possibly because of the three year service required.

Regards

gerry

SCRG1970
06-07-2009, 20:51
Kevin
I think if a NS man re-engaged to complete say nine years then the time he served on NS counted. For example if he re-engaged after two years he would then do a further seven to complete a nine year term.

There thats as clear as mud !!

Regards

gerry

Kevin123
06-07-2009, 21:00
Thanks Gerry. I knew someone once who did two years national service in the army, had a break and then did 22 years in the royal marines. I think RM pay was higher then the army back then. Kevin.

Batstiger
06-07-2009, 21:34
We had quite a few National servicemen on the Battleaxe in 1955/6, I have still got a few photies of them although I never met up with any of them afterwards.
I joined the sea cadets in 1950 in Wolverhampton. My best mate at the time was in the cadets and we were both dead keen on joining the navy.
I joined in 1952 but he decided not to.
In 1955 he turned up on the Battleaxe as an electrician and went on to become an electrical officer on a Shell oil tanker.
Financially I think he made the best move!
I saw him years later when I was in the Police force and had to go to Catterick for a refresher course. He had a pad not far away in a place called Thotnton le Beans.
I often wonder if he is still around as he would be in his mid seventies by now.

Bob.

Kevin123
06-07-2009, 21:42
When people were called up for national service, could they opt for any service or were they simply told which one they were going in to. Kevin.

qprdave
06-07-2009, 22:05
I think that you were a bit lucky if you managed to get into the Navy or R.A.F. The Army is where they were needed most.

Kevin123
06-07-2009, 22:12
Hello Dave. During the 1950's all my family had to go in the army, which seems strange because they all lived in Portsmouth. Kevin.

qprdave
06-07-2009, 22:29
I wonder how many boys volunteered for the Regular RN to make sure that they did get in when their National Service was coming up. I know that prior to the two world wars they volunteered for the RN before they got called up.

John Odom
06-07-2009, 23:44
In the US, many joined the navy, airforce or marines to avoid being drafted into the army. I made arrangements to be requisitioned by the USN if my essential civillian service classification was lost.

Kevin123
06-07-2009, 23:58
Hello John. When did the Americans stop national service. I think we stopped in 1960. Kevin.

qprdave
07-07-2009, 00:05
Kev.
My wife tells me that there was never a "National Service" of sorts. I think that John means the time that the draft was being used during Vietnam

Kevin123
07-07-2009, 00:12
Hello Dave. I forgot you're in America, I think most Americans served one year in Vietnam due to their rotation policy at the time. Is that how long their draft lasted. Kevin.

Mr Woo
07-07-2009, 11:34
I was in the Naval Reserve before my call up for national service which ensured a place in the RN. All my mates at the time were either sent into the army of RAF.

Towards the end of my time I was going to sign on as a regular but my Divisional Officer told me my national service time would not count and I would have to do a further 9 years minimum. I had recently splattered him with white paint (Not deliberate) so was not very popular at the time.

I had a good job waiting in civy street so decided against a career in the RN.

Fairlead
07-07-2009, 14:18
We had two national heros in HMS CHAILEY, one a Midshipman who's 'daddy' was something very big in ICI, joined in a shaufer driven roller with enough kit for a world cruise - you can imagine the welcome he got from our cockney 3 badge killick buffer! Poor chap, he got so much stick it was unbelievable - and such a nice guy too.
The other was an LEM(X) which, because he was an electrical tradesman having done the full aprentice bit joined as a leading hand - He was the guy who announced that he had been in the navy for 11 months an this was his first Christmas at home! That went down like a lead balloon I can tell you.
Another I served with joined the army for his national service and trained as a driver in the RASC, then spent the rest of his service at sea in HMS CENTAUR as the CBGLO's driver/batman!

Fairlead

oldsalt
07-07-2009, 18:51
Several national service men who were tradesmen in civvy street were required to do a trade test & if passing joined as Artificers.

jimmca78
13-11-2009, 16:55
When some one joined the navy as a conscript during national service I understand that they were in for two years duty

This being the case what opportunities were there for someone who after completing there national service decided to make a career out off it...or was it just a sausage factory system

I was called up and joined the Navy in April 1949 by choice. Initially the length of time for National Service was eighteenth Months but this was extended to two years some time in 1950. At the end of two years I was put into what was described as Special Reserve, apparently because I had done a course on Boom Defence (BT3). I was recalled in 1952, 1953 and 1954 up to Rosyth for 'extra training'. A number of years later I received a call up letter telling me to report to Royal Naval Air Station in Arbroath along with a train ticket etc., but this was cancelled within two or three days leaving me wondering what it was all about.
If you decided to carry on at the end of National Service you could do but no-one ever seemed to press you on this. I almost stayed in because I was interested in becoming a submariner. Hope this is of some help.

jimmca78

oldsalt
13-11-2009, 17:22
The extension of National Service was due to the Korean conflict, at the time personnel who were due to leave, time expired, were also held back for 18 mths?. If the recall notice was given in 1964, it was due to the problems in Aden. In 1950 one of our Stoker PO's was making a big thing of his finishing his 22 yrs. to us youngsters in the boiler room, when his service was extended he came in for a lot of ribbing. :mad::mad::p:p:(:).

dayerb
13-11-2009, 19:46
There were several national servicemen on the Chieftain 1955/56 doing seaman duties, not sure about other branches? to the best of my knowledge they were only serving two years,

Scurs
14-11-2009, 08:25
I'm sure we had some National Service AB's on CEYLON in 1958-60 (Dave...Ceylon 220 can you remember?).

Ednamay
14-11-2009, 11:58
When my boyfriend-at-the-time had to do National Service, he was accepted for the Air Force but only because he had been in the air cadets and got his badges! I believe they made similar conditions for members of navy cadet corps. That would have been (?) early 50s, I think.
Edna

Stan.J
14-11-2009, 18:11
I volunteered for the R.N. when I was 17. I did not want to get called up and banged into the army. That was 1948. In 1956 a number of R.N.reservists were called back in because of the Suez crisis....
Stan

Dave Hutson
15-11-2009, 09:51
Hi dayerb, Yes confirmed - we had National Service Coders and Coder [Ed]'s on the Chevron 55/56.

Dave H

Guz rating
15-11-2009, 10:42
I thought it was very unfair that national servicemen were so badly paid, some of my mates had to send home for money to replace shoes and such.

Alan

Dave Hutson
15-11-2009, 13:58
Not much different than our boys today then Alan .... if the reports of equipment and living quarters are taken into account.

Mind you I reckon the living accommodation on the new ships and new accommodation blocks ashore are pretty plush. The ones in Drake and on Daring are definitely upmarket.

Dave H

ceylon220
17-11-2009, 08:41
I'm sure we had some National Service AB's on CEYLON in 1958-60 (Dave...Ceylon 220 can you remember?).

We had a lad joined us at Mombasa who was National Service, took him under my "wing" and by the time we reached S`pore I got him talked round to signining on for the 7 years,that lad was Bryn Jenkins and we remained mates right up till 2 years ago when he had a stroke and died. He finished up signing up to do the 14 year stint, got demobbed and joined the MN ended up as a Bosun-----wrote and told me that he had seen the old CEYLON in the Peruvian Navy base when his ship visited there in 78, don`t know if there were any NS A/Bs aboard Scurs at the time.

jonti
12-01-2010, 03:16
When I was the EA on Ton Class 'Calton' in 1955/56, my solitary EM (Electrical Mechanic) was National Service and he had got into the RN on the strength of his service in the Navy Cadets. I am puzzled by the reference to signing up for 9 years as I recall it as 7 years in service and 5 years in the Reserve. I don't think the NS time counted if they signed on as regulars. Rob T

jonti
12-01-2010, 03:22
When a sailor finished his national service,and then chose to stay in the navy, would his national service time be added to his pension. Kevin.

We're talking about 22 years to qualify for a pension in the 1950s so everybody had to sign on at least twice perhaps 3 times to reach 22. Someone completing NS in the 1950s wouldn't have given a thought to a pension, only their immediate working future. Rob T

MIKE74
25-06-2010, 14:17
The way to ensure you did your N/S in the RN Comms Dept in the 50's
was to join the RNV(W)R (later to be RNR) one year before N/S. On
completion of N/S you then had to do 5 years in the RNR. Where you
had to do 2 hours training per week and 2 weeks per year with the
RN ashore or at sea.

Nobby_N
12-03-2011, 18:38
I had always wanted to go to sea. I had two older brothers in the navy. One was a hostilities only bunting tosser, the other was Fleet Air Arm - Air Ordnance - 7 and 5. When I was approaching my 18th birthday I volunteered for the RN to make sure I did not get called into the army or the RAF. Most NS men were going into the army.

About half of the men in my hut in Collingwood were National Service. They had mainly, though not all, already got HNDs and HNCs in electrical engineering. When I eventually joined my first ship, Bulwark, there were some NS EMs in the mess. One REM who didn't have any civilian background in electrics was a young Robert Baden-Powell, the grandson of the founder of the Scout Movement. He was a good lad, but a bit of a fish out of water on the messdeck. He is the current Lord Baden Powell. Another Lord in the electrical branch was Lord Winchelsea. It got around that he had asked permission from the Captain of Collingwood to land his plane on the parade ground when he was 'joining ship'. Permission was refused, I think.

Another type of NS man were the 'Upper Yard Men'. They did the same parade ground drill and basic training as the rest of us and lived in the huts. They wore square rig, and under their cap tallies they had a broad white band of some thick material. They may have had white shoulder tabs as well, I am not sure. They did not mix with the likes of us. When they had finished basic training they shot off to train as short service commission officers.

John (Nobby_N)

Choppy Sea
13-03-2011, 15:33
In 1957 the defence minister Duncan Sands gave all Royal Fleet Reservists a free discharge which meant that he saved 1/6 a week pay from each reservist, about seven and a half pence todays money. He then decreed that all RFR men should come under the RNR which meant that he still had his reserves but didnt have to pay them. At the time I was struggling to get on my feet in civvy street with a wife and young child and 1/6 was a lot of money considering that my wage was 9-1-6. There were lots of NS during my time and some signed on, their time a NS counted towards their service. Governments of this country have never treated servicemen as they deserved to be treated. Ray H

exile1
13-03-2011, 19:16
The National Service Coder on HMS Jutland '58 - '60 was the most academically gifted man on board and joined the ship as a rather shy callow young man but left after two years visiting the fleshpots of the Med and Europe, a hairy-arsed, bearded confident tar who was last seen on Waterloo Station grabbing some city gent by his rear end and roaring "You're Arse!!!!!" I believe he took up a post at Hull University? The RN rounded off his education in the real world as it did to many of us.:)

derek s.langsdon
27-09-2011, 17:00
Think might've posted this before on another thread but referring back to "Ednas boyfriend helped by Air Cadet badges."....I don't recall attaining
badges as the they kept me standing in the doorway blowing a bosun's pipe !
but fact I'd been in the Naval Cadets (and that Dad was in the wartime RN, did,
I'm sure , ease my way into the right (and only) Natsvc for me.in1946 through '48.

derek-L

ceylon220
10-10-2011, 09:33

Yes Scurs, my mate joined us in Mombasa as a N S and was placed under my wing for training,he later signed up to do further service and finished up in the recruiting office in Swansea before demob in the 70s.---first time that I came across National Service men in the navy always thought that the navy never took them in only regulars.

MIKE74
10-10-2011, 12:23
In in 1954 on entry to the RN for National Service the pay was 1.8s.0d (1.40) per week. If you had been in the RNVR for a year before entry it was 1.15s.0d (1.75). No KUA so any kit needing replacement had to come from your pay.
At HMS Mercury on a kit muster an Officer told one N/S lad he needed to buy a new pair of boots, the lad replied that he had no money, the officer said you not another one who squander all your money. The Duty P.O. moved the Officer on to the next man PDQ

ivorthediver
10-10-2011, 12:33
Since starting this post it has amazed me how many tales there are to be told and the experiences of the members signing in who tell them to us

As I am sure you readers are painfully aware the Former Navy [ from what I have gleaned thus far] seemed to be a much closer knit " Family " with a greater bond of individuals merging into a cohesive force .....I may be wrong but even though I was never fortunate enough to have been in the Senior Service my interface with the many friends I have been lucky enough to meet on this Forum has proven to me just what " A Family" it is with all the fights and squabbles you get in any family ......but single one of them out...... and you take on the entire fleet

May I be permitted to thank you all for your contributions .......and don't stop adding them please:o

eskimosailor
10-10-2011, 13:10
" A Family" it is with all the fights and squabbles you get in any family ......but single one of them out...... and you take on the entire fleet

May I be permitted to thank you all for your contributions .......and don't stop adding them please:o

I recall a sailor was "done over" by a bunch of skinheads in Portsmouth sometime in the 60s. I believe that weekend every local Naval establishment emptied of off-duty crew into Pompey, and not a single skinhead was safe. Yes, we did stick together despite terms like Wafu, Fishead, and the rest.
Steve

seaJane
10-10-2011, 22:43
I'm pretty sure I remember my mum telling me that of her two brothers one, born 1927, did his National Service in the Navy, and the other, born 1933, in the RAF (Coltishall). Their father served afloat in both World Wars so that may have influenced their postings?

My dad on the other hand did his National Service ca. 1954-1955 in the Royal Signals which was quite helpful as he went on to work for Mullard/Philips later.

elkers@tiscali.co.uk
18-03-2016, 13:04
I was in the Naval Reserve before my call up for national service which ensured a place in the RN. All my mates at the time were either sent into the army of RAF.

Towards the end of my time I was going to sign on as a regular but my Divisional Officer told me my national service time would not count and I would have to do a further 9 years minimum. I had recently splattered him with white paint (Not deliberate) so was not very popular at the time.

I had a good job waiting in civy street so decided against a career in the RN.

Mr Woo is absolutely right. My mum had 'sussed' that if you joined the RNVR first you would get into the RN for National Service. On the day I went for NS selection, out of about 12 in the room opting for RN -I was the only one in the Reserve and the only one who got it.

elkers@tiscali.co.uk
18-03-2016, 13:13
Ivor

The National Service lads who joined with me circa 1958 served three years not the usual two. Thats the price they paid for joining the elite!!

The other downside was despite doing the same job as career ratings they were paid less. Inevitably some of them decided to sign on and a very good oppo of mine did just that. He then went straight to a nine year engagement and the extra pay that went with it.

Regards

Gerry

Hi Gerry - I joined in 1956 and just served the two years - don't know if there was ever a three year time.
I did get selected for the Upper Yardmen group, and made it all the way through to the end when there were sudden defence cuts and half of us were 'axed'. The rest of my time I spent in HMS APOLLO and had a great time.-Dave

ceylon220
19-03-2016, 09:20

Yes we had one lad in our mess who was in for NS and after a talk with me and my mate (who had joined the ship as a NS man and changed to doing the 7 years and later in life did the full 22 years) volunteered to do the 9 years,apart from him Scurs I have no knowledge of any other NS rating aboard CEYLON.

johnny07
19-03-2016, 10:39
We had NS sailors on the Ulysses in 1961 but I don't know how long they were in for.

Domino
19-03-2016, 14:51
was on HMS Bulwark for a few months early 1965 as part of the Junior Comms Pool out of Kranji (Singapore) and found there were a couple of guys in the Comms Dept who were ex-NS. Never found out much about them I was only there a short time and they were in the wireless room whilst I was on the flag deck.

Mitch Hinde
19-03-2016, 16:33
Hi All

The only NS I ever came across were at Mercury in '58/'59, the Cater brothers.
Daddy owned a chain of supermarkets somewhere in the midlands I believe. One of them had a Triumph Gloria sports car that he parked off site somewhere.

Mitch Hinde

Pluto
19-03-2016, 19:56
The coder ed we had aboard a Loch class frigate 55/56 was national service and the son of a senior naval officer who wanted him to go to Dartmouth. This young lad was very cleaver well educated but I remember not much common nouse. He rejected his dad's wishes and did his time on the lower deck. He got me through my E T 1.

Dave Hutson
19-03-2016, 21:14
was on HMS Bulwark for a few months early 1965 as part of the Junior Comms Pool out of Kranji (Singapore) and found there were a couple of guys in the Comms Dept who were ex-NS. Never found out much about them I was only there a short time and they were in the wireless room whilst I was on the flag deck.

It is a small world Dom ....... after our PM exchange I now find you in the Far East Fleet Pool a few months after I left it. :)

Dave H

Domino
19-03-2016, 22:39
It is a small world Dom ....... after our PM exchange I now find you in the Far East Fleet Pool a few months after I left it. :)

Dave H

someone had to fill the vacuum you left :) ;)

Dave Hutson
20-03-2016, 08:30
Thank you kind sir ...... The pool was a pretty good life , accompanied , and as a Killick Sparker it was either RFA's or ComFeF's Comcen in the Dockyard ,
although the start of the Indonesia Confrontation tended to dampen things a tad.

Now to get back on thread before the Mod's pay us a visit :eek: We had two Coder [Eds] on the Undine in 54/55 and two on Chevron 55/56. Great guys and when we weren't employing them they operated as Schoolies and a great job they did.

Dave H

oldsalt
28-03-2016, 13:18
At the Mechanicians old training school, Flat House in Pompey Dockyard, there were NS entrants doing trade tests for entry as an ERA. We had one in Ark Royal in 59.