PDA

View Full Version : Minor British Institutions

qprdave
05-07-2009, 19:56
Every matelot will have used this

Good to know that things don't change

From the Independent on Sunday

Minor British Institutions: Izal toilet paper

It is a discomfiting thing to learn that Izal loo roll is still available. Not as discomfiting as it used to be, in the days when this slightly abrasive product was routinely found in school toilets and public conveniences, the harsh price of spending a penny away from home. Today it is not – quite – so harsh.

San Izal has been rebranded Izal, and the tissue seems less unforgiving than before. Make no mistake, this is not the sort of roll that the Andrex puppy would like to romp around with, but it is just a little less austere than before. The scent of disinfectant seems also to have disappeared, which is a bit of a shame for those who like their khazi karma nice and traditional.

It is difficult to believe that, in a world of ultra-soft pastel-hued lavatorial opulence, such a throwback to the age of austerity will still be bought out of choice (it is not particularly cheap either). Some websites market it as a "novelty product". Nostalgia, surely, has its limits: there's no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Jan Steer
05-07-2009, 20:03
Dreadful stuff! Like sandpapering your backside! I remember that when working ashore with the Wrens they were allowed soft toilet tissue, the reasons being obvious I would have thought!!

best wishes
Jan

Scratcher
05-07-2009, 20:13
Soft Toilet Paper was one of the best incentives there was to join Submarines,mind you,they didn't tell you about the Heads on a T Boat.But thats another Thread.

tim lewin
05-07-2009, 20:40
but you cant play the national anthem on a comb with velvet cushioned allo Vera!

nigelweysom
05-07-2009, 20:47
when i was a boy, ( that sound like the title for a thread ) we used to have izal at home , and my dad accused my mum of physical cruelty ,
Nigel

astraltrader
05-07-2009, 20:49
Ah but at least at a pinch one could use Izal as tracing paper!!

harry.gibbon
05-07-2009, 21:25
when i was a boy, ( that sound like the title for a thread ) we used to have izal at home , and my dad accused my mum of physical cruelty ,
Nigel

and was that was before he needed to go to the izal closet???

nigelweysom
05-07-2009, 22:00
and was that was before he needed to go to the izal closet???

no it was whilst he was in the izal closet , or rather after he had been ,
Nigel

spruso
06-07-2009, 02:21
Reminds me of the NSW Govt.Stores toilet paper issued to the Police in the 1960s. Completely non absorbent. So shiny you could use one sheet as a mirror and turn another sheet on its edge and use it as a razor! Soon learned to bring my own!

Using this product for its designated purpose resulted in more of an "Icing the cake" effect than a "Clean Sweep"!:mad:
Cheers
Bruce

Francis Stanley
06-07-2009, 10:35
One to wipe one to polish

Vegaskip
06-07-2009, 10:46
This is starting to look like 'an unusual use for Izal' thread, I once covered a model aircraft with it, when I was about ten!.

NSR
06-07-2009, 20:20
We had been learning about the sensitized paper used for engine indicator diagrams when the instructor asked us if we had noticed that pusser's bog paper was square while the equivalent ashore was oblong. Nobody had really thought about it but when we asked why we got the standard engineering answer - 'To allow for the roll of the ship'.

Ken