PDA

View Full Version : Screening

ivorthediver
03-07-2009, 18:04
On Destroyers / Frigates after the war the advancement in Radio/ and Radar must have caused chaos in preventing one from "Bleeding through " into the other.
how was this done please:confused:

qprdave
03-07-2009, 19:01
Depends on what frequency the ships were transmitting on, Ivor. I know that some RADAR played havoc with the S.R.E. (Ships Reproduction Equipment) To us idiots it was the Radio/Record playing equipment that was wired throughout the ship. The term is "Mutal Interferrance" when two ships interfer with the same frequency.

Wardroom!!!!!!

ivorthediver
03-07-2009, 19:23
Depends on what frequency the ships were transmitting on, Ivor. I know that some RADAR played havoc with the S.R.E. (Ships Reproduction Equipment) To us idiots it was the Radio/Record playing equipment that was wired throughout the ship. The term is "Mutal Interferrance" when two ships interfer with the same frequency.

Wardroom!!!!!!

Yes Dave just read it BZ.

Thats my point thou Dave , with comms ,Radio,Radar sometimes more than one how was it Screened....or is your point that they all ran on differing variable frequencies

Fairlead
03-07-2009, 21:01
Post re-fit or new equipment fits all ships carried out a mutual interference trial. This involved going to sea away from other sources of RF and flashing up each radio transmitter, radar and sonar one piece at a time until everything is transmitting. This involved a large number of operators and maintainers, who would transmit on command and the other operators recording any interference. The radio frequencies are planned so that some co-incide with harmonics or intermediate frequencies used by other equipment. The results are analysed and where possible a cure found or those frequencies avoided in future communications plans.

Fairlead

qprdave
03-07-2009, 21:22
Thanks Fairlead for that great answer. I must admit I don't recall ever doing that myself. But we must have done on the four ships that I was on. How far do you have to be away from other ships or sources to carry this testing out?

Fairlead
03-07-2009, 21:51
Sorry Dave, that is pushing my memory a bit! I can't remember off hand but I would have thought a mile or so would be OK

Fairlead

qprdave
03-07-2009, 21:57
"that is pushing my memory a bit"

Thats ok Fairlead. I know exactly what you mean

ivorthediver
04-07-2009, 06:04
As always you lot have never let me down with factual answers without the need to embellish the answer to show how clever you are .

You are a great bunch of guys and It never ceases to amaze me how much detail you can recall on the subject matter.