PDA

View Full Version : Navy Sports

tim lewin
08-11-2007, 05:51
Sport was hugely popular in the RN during my fathers time, not just in the war but after as well. He was something of a sportsman himself playing twice for the RN and being a good runner. I attach some pictures of the King greeting the 1946 successful RN team at a very inclement match. Does anyone have any other sporting memories?
tim

David Verghese
14-09-2012, 21:28
I'll try to resurrect this this thread since the opening post hasn't received a reply in almost five years!

Tim - nice pictures by the way. They are possibly from the 1948 RN vs Army match at Twickenham when the former won 9-8. I say this because there is a picture of a 1948 Navy rugger shirt in your picture array. The picture may not be from the 1946 season - since the Royal Navy were beaten by both the Army and the RAF XVs.

A few words about the history of Inter Services Rugby Union.

It was in 1907 that the Rugby Union match between the Royal Navy and the Army became a regular annual fixture. After WW1 the RAF joined the Inter Services tournament - which was interrupted by both World Wars.

Between 1920 and 2012 the Army have won the tri-services competion 42 times, the Royal Navy 19 times and the Royal Air Force 13 times. There have been 10 three-way ties and 2 two-way ties. Since 2003 the Ladies of the three Services have also had a similar Rugby Union competition.

The best Services players could go on and play for the Combined Services. At that level they would play against a touring national side - in 1931 South Africa beat Combined services 23-0, but in 1935 the All-Blacks beat Combined Services only 6 points to 5 in a close match.

Here is a picture from my collection of (I believe) the 1931 match between the RN (as Tri-services Champions that year) versus Combined Services. I don't know if the latter contained RN players or specifically not.

David

Ednamay
17-09-2012, 11:33
In the 1930s, my father was boxing but doc said he had too many injuries (he was 5'6" tall and then, lightly built); he transfered to football (and got his nose broken) and was part of the ship's tug o'war team. Oh, yes, he was also in the field gun run, can't put a date to any of it.
Sports? Yes!
Edna

Scurs
19-09-2012, 06:27
Edna.......your posting reminds me of my own father inasmuch as I shared his love of sport, but sadly little of his ability!

Father:- Soccer (Colchester United, 1930's), Founder member Colchester ABA boxed Bantam Weight, Field Hockey represented RAF Inter-Sevice level, Rowing coxed RAF 8 Middle-East, Athletics Middle-East Combined Service champion in 100yds & 220yds (when aged 40)...........me.......

Played Field Hockey for most ships and establishments I was in, and that's it!

Tim, onto RN sports though, it is strange (to me) how some ships merely fielded teams with little or no interest, whilst others simple "lived" for sport.
AJAX for example enjoyed support at Small Ship Cup Matches, only rivaled by that shown to successful soccer clubs! I can scarce recall a match when just about everyone off duty failed to attend......gave the lads a head start!
We had a good team though, reached the semi-final of China Shield in both 1965 and 1966, only losing in extra time to 42 Commando one year, and 2-1 to TERROR the next. We enjoyed fielding an ex-England Schoolboy International, ex-Hamrun Spartans goalkeeper, ex-Pompey Combined Services winger and 2 RN (FES) players - not bad line up for small ship.
Even had the audacity to beat Honiara during a jolly, who were Pacific Area Soccer Champions. Those were the days!
Beat ARK ROYAL at both Boxing and Water Polo...............all part of that unique "spirit" the ship had in abundance. :)

Old Salt
20-09-2012, 09:19
Then of course the RNZN ships on Far East Station whose rugby teams repeatedly beat teams from carriers, cruisers, and combined squadron /FES teams. Live for sport .......... most certainly the Kiwi way.

Brian

Scurs
20-09-2012, 14:25
Can't remember what the score was Brian, when we played Rugby v TARANAKI.......we came a long way second! :D:D

Old Salt
21-09-2012, 13:03
Can't remember what the score was Brian, when we played Rugby v TARANAKI.......we came a long way second! :D:D

I found it quite amazing that a NZ frigate could muster three teams. At least I could just about keep up with the 3rd. XV !

We did not do very well in that game played with a round ball, though !

Brian

JohnCondon
17-02-2013, 03:45
Sport was hugely popular in the RN during my fathers time, not just in the war but after as well. He was something of a sportsman himself playing twice for the RN and being a good runner. I attach some pictures of the King greeting the 1946 successful RN team at a very inclement match. Does anyone have any other sporting memories?
tim

My father was a very keen sportsman and took part in various sports for the Royal Marines.

JohnCondon
17-02-2013, 13:10
Found a couple more old photographs of RMA teams from 1923 taken at Eastney.