PDA

View Full Version : Which Ship was off Libya in June 1943?

grannygill
06-11-2007, 12:42
I am desperate to find out more about my grandfather.
He was in the Royal Sussex 1st Btn & drowned off Libya on June 5, 1943 aged 28.
He is buried at Tripoli
On which ship did he sail on to get to the Libyan coast?
Was it destroyed?
How many brave souls were lost?

Any information would be so welcome.
My mum & her sister were children when he died & their lives were ruined by his death, as a life time of poverty followed.

Thank you in advance

kc
06-11-2007, 14:52
I have tried to find information for you, but it is hard without a name. If you could post even the surname then I could perhaps find more information from the commonwealth war graves commission website.

Thanks!

culverin
22-04-2011, 18:29
The 1st battalion Royal Sussex regiment was in Egypt upon outbreak of WW2, and that is where they remained throughout the entire N African campaigns, attached to the 4th Indian division.

After the Axis surrender on 13-May-1943, they were part of the ongoing endeavours through Italy from 10-July-1943, the invasion of Sicily.

Again, without a name, and no grannygill from her 1st post, there is an extensive British and Commonwealth war cemetery at Tripoli, where 1369 deceased lie, and the vast majority of those are from 1942 and 1943.

jainso31
23-04-2011, 13:13
Most of the Royal Sussex were time expred men at the end of the N African campaign and many were rotated home via a scheme coded LILOPS for just that purpose.This meant that all those soldies had to be replaced.Why would replacements be landed in Libya after Tunis was freed is beyond me.
Grannygill what makes you so sure he was landed in Libya by a ship.???
PS LILOPS=Leave in lieu of Previous Service
jainso31

culverin
23-04-2011, 15:18
Additionally, a date of death, by whatever means, does not imply an actual date of a ship sinking, if indeed that occured.

This chap could have fallen over, been pushed over, or injured and blown over by an explosion, or have been in a boat.

He may not have been on a ship or boat at all, simply enjoying a brief bit of leisure time by the sea. It did occur.

Intriguing, but i fear we will never know, unless grannygill returns with the answer, which wherever that individual may be now, they have found the answer to their original question. Hopefully.

Linton
23-04-2011, 16:41
Have you contacted the regimental association?
http://www.royalsussex.org.uk/